Options

j[chat]awala

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote: »
    "We were just talking about how much we miss you."

Person hasn't messaged me in 7 months.

This is how I am to everyone, but I really do miss them!

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Casual wrote: »
    Hakkekage you are a fuckin badass

not rly i wont accept that title unless one day I am able to do a half in 131 minutes (10 min/mi) or less

which is a long way off

for now tho I will accept the title of "fuckin ass"

Hakkekage on
    3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    I buy a CD (or a digital album), drop it into iTunes or rip it, and I'm done.

Unless you've decided to purchase it when you're not at the computer that is married to your iOS device, in which case you have to wait until you get home.

Or if you have multiple devices and you want to have different songs on the different devices without going through the bullshit that is setting up multiple iTunes profiles.

Or there's some stupid reason the iOS device won't sync, like 20% of the space is taken up by "other storage" with no clear way to delete it.

The current iTunes model is pay 25 bucks a year and have everything everywhere all the time always and just download stuff off the cloud if you need it offline.

It's pretty hard to make it simpler than that.

Unless you're purchasing music from Beatport or direct from artists' websites.

Or if you're still using a non-Internet-connected device, like an iPod Nano.

The album art, all the track info, the metadata, everything just kind of shows up. I never dig into the folders, I have no reason to. The very concept of even going into those folders feels alien to me at this point - like the shit I used to do when WinAmp/X11Amp was whipping the llama's ass.

Unless you want to use your music with players that aren't iTunes - eg, VLC.

This is pretty much the same conversation that we always have about the Apple paradigm. It's great for 80% of users. If you deviate at all from the typical use case, things get very frustrating very quickly.

It's not even deviating from a typical use case, it's deviating from an Apple-approved use case.

Getting my music from not-iTunes is a very typical use case. iTunes doesn't handle it well.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    shryke wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Huh. Never imagined the difference between "mandolin" and "mandoline" would be THAT big.

Oh, you can still strum a Mandoline, I can assure you.

I made one hell of a racket chopping that onion.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    if anyone needs a really entertaining fluff book, i'm listening to Patient Zero and it's super entertaining. like Jack Reacher and those old Tom Clancy books

http://www.audible.com/pd/Fiction/Patient-Zero-Audiobook/B0045V31HY

the narrator is really great. does a million voices super well.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Then again, I have a hard time remembering if "balaclava" is the one that goes on your face or in your face.

I can't either. It's why I could never be a merc. I would just end up ordering lot of pastry. Sure it would be delicious but it wouldn't be tactical.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * SWOLE PATROL "IRON IS FORGED IN FLAMES" RIBBON * ~

hakkekage

ilu u desc u r my sun and stars

hands off my desc u slag

fuck u scheck he apreciates me more im not goin out there winnin cheeseburg eating medals

nice try

desc literally once sent me a message that said "scheck u r the best and i luv u 5eva and pls nver leve me" verbatim thats wat he said

this mastery forgery holds up to even the closest scrutiny

will you testify against this fraud at trial sir

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I don't care if you guys don't know the particulars and think I'm hitler.

When I opened a closet and threw away a stack of 4000 ancient computer cables, cables that connect pieces of hardware that do not exist, sifted out all the cables that connect hardware that does exist, sorted them, wound them up with twist ties, put them in individual bags, and put those bags in labeled bins, I got an award. A real, actual award. I also got a gallon jug of coworker tears, which admittedly was its own reward.

But wouldn't you know it, not once has anyone needed I cable I threw away and everyone loves the cable closet that is not "a horrible nightmare so awful we just don't go in there order what you need on amazon and expense it".

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

yeah, i'm awful at keeping in contact but then i feel like no time has passed

i mostly live in my own head and forget to reach out

• Options

When I opened a closet and threw away a stack of 4000 ancient computer cables, cables that connect pieces of hardware that do not exist, sifted out all the cables that connect hardware that does exist, sorted them, wound them up with twist ties, put them in individual bags, and put those bags in labeled bins, I got an award. A real, actual award. I also got a gallon jug of coworker tears, which admittedly was its own reward.

But wouldn't you know it, not once has anyone needed I cable I threw away and everyone loves the cable closet that is not "a horrible nightmare so awful we just don't go in there order what you need on amazon and expense it".

why would we think you're hitler, that sounds awesome. mother theresa award.

what was your award called?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

yeah, i'm awful at keeping in contact but then i feel like no time has passed

i mostly live in my own head and forget to reach out

I can totally sympathize with this.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    P10 wrote: »
    i organize my room by hiding pizza boxes in every drawer

Are they full of pizza? y/n
    n

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

organizing common work areas sounds excellent and wonderful tho, that doesn't sound like your co-workers own personal desks

• Options
    Mortious wrote: »
    My response to the iTunes issue is "no comment" but if we are talking office organization, statistically speaking almost all of you are terrible and I hate you.

If you know where everything is, then why do you spend all day looking for shit, give up, say you lost it, then tell me you found it a week later. You all get nothing done you are the worst.

That's why I get rid of everything as soon as I'm done with it.

Oh the cleanliness of oblivion.

so i briefly worked with a lady when i was Exec Support

my desk: super messy
    her desk: utterly spotless

she managed to lose EVERYTHING. i would hand her a piece of paper for a person to sign. the person would sign and then the paper would go missing. all. the. time. now my desk is messy so i totally lost it right? no, because lo and behold as soon as she got fired things stopped going missing.

i never lose shit! ...cause it's all spread out all over my desk.

• Options
    it is also why i can delete a bookmark to the boards, log out and then not think about it for 6 months. it's a blessing and a curse.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Daredevil Episode 9:
    The fight with the Hand.

Jesus so good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Speaking of old cables, let's have a "Kids these days" story:

"We need to hook this thing up, but all the resource guy gave me was this thing. What the fuck is this shit?"
    "It's a serial cable. And a USB-to-Serial adapter."
    "What's a serial port? I've never even heard of that."
    "Fuck you."

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

organizing common work areas sounds excellent and wonderful tho, that doesn't sound like your co-workers own personal desks

Who on earth would organize someone's personal desk on them? You'd get in a lot of trouble pretty much anywhere.

I'm talking about shared lab spaces where people have areas that they've claimed as their own, but then completely neglected to the detriment of everyone.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Hakkekage you are a fuckin badass

for now tho I will accept the title of "fuckin ass"

Strip that title from my cold, dead hands, that's what you mean!

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular

Hah, OK yes this is fair

I'm talking about my own filling cabinet and the stuff on my desk, mostly, because I tend to accumulate a lot of paper reference material, some of which is not easy to acquire without expense, hoop-jumping, or convincing someone to share

Sometimes it is bundled together in esoteric ways because it is related by a particular matter, especially with stuff that is being litigated

So it bugs the shit out of me when people move it around or try to impose their own system of order on it

• Options
    after that lady left one day, i looked through every single thing she had anywhere cause fuck it she was clearly going to be fired

it wasn't there

i wonder if she just threw things away cause she was so flustered and overwhelmed. for some reason that job really destroys middle aged ladies who are not so bright, but i'm pretty sure it is the easiest job in the world. a month ago one lady had a panic attack in her first week and quit/was fired. of course, my old boss in the department is basically the worst person ever but still

• Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    MrMister wrote: »
    Just kidding, I do know: it's violence, danger, alienation from suspects, and utter unaccountability.

Well, kinda. OTOH, that fight with the apocalyptic Christian band from Idaho the cops are almost too restrained, if anything. Don't get me wrong, American policing is fucked, but it isn't universal.

• Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular

Maybe I'm a little aggravated by this, but man I would totally love to hear an explanation for why so many people have such a hard time initiating contact.

Like, when I miss someone, when someone pops into my head and I wonder what they're up to, I message them. A lot of people don't seem to do this!

It gets really tiring being the guy who always starts the conversation. Saying you miss someone when at any time all you need to do is send them a text just seems like a really shallow interpretation of the word.

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The last time my girlfriend asked me to update the music on her iPhone, it took hours, kept failing (partly due to space issues), options didn't work right or didn't work at all, and after fully syncing there was still music missing that was in the library (and music present that should have been cleared).

That was six months ago. She's asking me to do it again and I'm trying to put it off because fuck dealing with that.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Then again, I have a hard time remembering if "balaclava" is the one that goes on your face or in your face.

I can't either. It's why I could never be a merc. I would just end up ordering lot of pastry. Sure it would be delicious but it wouldn't be tactical.

What if you left it out and ambushed the enemy when they have their mouths full and fingers all sticky with honey, disabling them?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

n

Then what is even the point?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

Maybe I'm a little aggravated by this, but man I would totally love to hear an explanation for why so many people have such a hard time initiating contact.

Like, when I miss someone, when someone pops into my head and I wonder what they're up to, I message them. A lot of people don't seem to do this!

It gets really tiring being the guy who always starts the conversation. Saying you miss someone when at any time all you need to do is send them a text just seems like a really shallow interpretation of the word.

i often think i will be bothering them

it's because of anxiety and depression

i've skipped out on things i've been specifically invited to because i think i will be imposing/unwanted. it's not rational. welcome to that area of stuff.

• Options
    One of my coworkers is a really smart engineer but he definitely has some hoarder blood. When I threw away all the parallel port cables, my boss had to take him by the arm and lead him away so he'd stop taking them back out of the trash. No, parallel ports are not coming back. Yes, sometimes we do projects the use the same connectors, we have a crimp kit right here to make those custom, we are a professional company we are not repurposing old parallel port cables. We need space more than we need to save a theoretical 10¢ on cable-making materials.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

all I'm saying is, touch my papers and I will publicly execute you in the cafeteria

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    The current iTunes model is pay 25 bucks a year and have everything everywhere all the time always and just download stuff off the cloud if you need it offline.

It's pretty hard to make it simpler than that.

wait like $25 bucks a year to manage your personal library across all devices, or is some media included?

25 bucks, and your music gets matched against Apple's library. If the bitrate of your rips is lower than the one they have they upgrade you to their version. If you have lossless they upload it from your library into cloud storage.

Everything appears on all of your devices and can be played over the network. Tap the cloud icon to download it to the device for local play.

Add a song anywhere at any time by any means into iTunes and it shows up on all your devices in seconds.

Apple does not fact-check where you got the tracks from, so CDs you ripped, albums bought off amazon, whatever - its now all part of your legitimate library.

hmm, yeah that does sound decently handy

• Options

Who on earth would organize someone's personal desk on them? You'd get in a lot of trouble pretty much anywhere.

I'm talking about shared lab spaces where people have areas that they've claimed as their own, but then completely neglected to the detriment of everyone.

do people get mad about sorting out shared lab spaces

they are clearly the hitlers here

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We need to do a purge at work. We have 2006/2007-era Latitudes lying around, a drawer full of analog VGA cables, hard drives with data on them that need to be purged (physically locked up, thankfully), stacks of retired servers. Bleh.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

it's hard to just send a text sometimes

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    One of my coworkers is a really smart engineer but he definitely has some hoarder blood. When I threw away all the parallel port cables, my boss had to take him by the arm and lead him away so he'd stop taking them back out of the trash. No, parallel ports are not coming back. Yes, sometimes we do projects the use the same connectors, we have a crimp kit right here to make those custom, we are a professional company we are not repurposing old parallel port cables. We need space more than we need to save a theoretical 10¢ on cable-making materials.

ha, okay, i feel for this guy. i'm imagining him so sad.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular

n

Then what is even the point?
    hiding my shame

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

do people get mad about sorting out shared lab spaces

they are clearly the hitlers here

They do! They do get mad! And they yell shit like "why did you touch all my shit I had a system!"

And I say "what fucking system was that, throw everything into a giant useless pile then never find anything, give up, and leave it here for 3 years?"

"YES!" They say. And I cannot even.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    there was no time to get food before the flight and there were only snacks on the plane over so we just got home and split a large penne ala vokda pizza

livin the dream

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote: »

What if you left it out and ambushed the enemy when they have their mouths full and fingers all sticky with honey, disabling them?

implying one would even be able to resist it long enough to use as a trap

• Options
    there's not really a good explanation

it's the same reason it can be super hard to just get up, go out of my door, and go do a thing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    So I'm way out of the loop and didn't know Craig Ferguson left the show, but I'm watching a few clips and there was a great gag when Kat Dennings was on the show.

She said she had a cat and Craig said, "I knoowwwwww!" and she asked how he'd know and he said it was because he looked at her and thought, "Kat."

This discussion has been closed.