Options

[Agents of SHIELD] Age of Inhumans

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    You'd have to be some kind of clairvoyant to properly regulate powered people.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I'd like to point out that technically every American is already registered, and has been for decades. What do you think your Social Security number is? Its registration the government uses to track you. Frankly, I think the easiest way to handle registering powered people is to add it as a deductible on your taxes. Did you buy a home this year? Get a tax deduction. Did you gain the ability to fly this year? That's $1500 back into your pocket.

Lets be honest, if you offer people a tax break to register, the vast majority will sign up all on their own.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    That is fantastic.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Been rewatching AoS with my roommate, who hasn't seen the series before. We have episodes 14-16 tonight and then Winter solider tomorrow and then 17-19 on Wednesday.

I'm super interested to see his reaction about Ward.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I think when you start adding "in the comics " to the conversation it muddles everything. Also "in the comics" usually references dumb things like Civil War.

AoS doesn't work with stuff that happened in the comics, so it's just an extravagant strawman when discussing things in the MCU because things in the comics don't exist in the MCU. There hasn't been a single person in the MCU who is the same as their comic counterpart. This is Agents of Shield not the comic book SHIELD unless you want to start talking about Quake and Bucky paling around the universe, the comparison to the comics falls apart super freaking fast.

Its the Marvel Universe either way. You know the group that wants heroes to be monitored and controlled are wrong, because the company sells Captain America, Hulk and Cyclops toys and not Government Bureaucrat, Secret Policeman and Tactical Superhero Killer figures.

It's two entirely separate universes. It destroys the conversation when you just start adding how things are in the comics even though they have demonstrably been shown to be different from the comics.

Yeah, in the comics Quake can do all sorts of stuff, in the MCU you have absolutely no evidence of all that stuff yet.

Then people have been throwing in mutants despite there being no mutants in the MCU.
    You can either have a conversation about registration in the MCU or about it in the comics, trying to have both at the same time is ridiculous and counter productive.

I actually think the quake in the comics and Daisy are easily identical. Quake in the comics, from what i recall of the first times seeing her, started out as a Shield agent who used her power with a skill that shows lots of practice, and a devotion to shield. However she seemed when we first met her to be a veteran. Sky is just her younger self.

Not really. Quake in the comics has had a decade or two of training and field experience, not really comparable to Skye.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    hippofant wrote: »
    Hey, I wasn't the one who brought up Mystique and the Sentinels. I didn't even chime in until they were brought up. There may be arguments for a registration program, but Mystique and the Sentinels are not it. (Also, I'm noticing that you keep messing up the DoFP acronym, or maybe you're referencing other movies I don't know about.) Don't you MCU me this or that!

It is Days of Future Past I'm referencing. Sentinels was never an argument for registration, they were simply a tool Trask created to solve that particular solution in that movie universe. The MCU has SHIELD. Mystique is an example of a well known shape-shift and she's got to Marvel's most well known, the X-men aren't the only people in Marvel who face shape-shifters on a daily basis. I wasn't blaming the MCU on you, it'd that you went too far in the other direction with the comics with your argument. Most of that doesn't apply to the MCU, and narrative tropes on AoS mean SHIELD gets to do their jobs - not the X-men.
    As for whether MCU SHIELD has (or had, har har har) the ability to actually implement and utilize such a registry properly, I think you can't have it both ways here. It's unclear to me that the thin separation between "the US government mandates that people need to voluntarily register any powers (including crazy technology?)" versus "SHIELD basically already has a comprehensive listing of powered people anyways" is a meaningful space to be operating in. Like, how does one argue that SHIELD clearly has the resources to deal with a huge plethora of powered people and keep the world safe - look, they do it all the time on AoS - while simultaneously arguing that there are many powered people out there that aren't registered who could cause untold havoc at any moment - look, there's all kinda shit that they're not showing on AoS!

SHIELD does have a list, but it always needs updating and in the MCU SHIELD isn't sanctioned by the government. Coulson's SHIELD has found new Gifted to add to that list in season 2 - Skye, Raina and Gordon. That's the tip of the iceberg with the Inhumans. SHIELD used to have resources to do this, this was what they did before they got dismantled. No one is picking up the slack for that right now. There is all kinds of shit they're not showing on AoS, and not showing what the new Gifted do is one of them. They're not all going to act like Skye with their abilities and the government is out of its league without SHIELD to help them on a situation like this. Coulson's one of the foremost experts on this phenomenon and he's still learning - he's a wanted fugitive now.
    Practically speaking, it appears to me that SHIELD's got a pretty damned comprehensive list already, and in MCU-world, they've got all sorts of bullshit computer technologies that allow them to just identify powered people right off the Web. (Ignoring the fact that he got his powered from Centipede), I mean really, how much of a difference would it have made if Mike Peterson had registered with SHIELD after getting the implants versus having SHIELD contact him like the day after he used his powers to save some people?

It'd mean he'd be in a secure location and SHIELD would know what to do with him rather then let him roam the city hurting people. He physically hurt his boss when he wasn't in control, and he wouldn't have been so reliant on Centipede. That's why it was necessary for SHIELD to bring him in and creating the icer. Without them he'd probably be turned into a super-villain by now, or brainwashed by HYDRA. Any other government agency would have shot him on sight and that'd be that. He'd have transited into a SHIELD agent earlier. Where he got his powers doesn't mean he couldn't walk in to SHIELD and tell them he's a Gifted, then he'd be put on the Index. What technologies are you talking about that SHIELD has to detect Gifted?
    I guess there's some thin margin where somebody might register before using their powers publicly and having no intention of doing any sort of evil and then decide to use powers the first time to commit evil and somehow could have been prevented or otherwise would not have been caught if they hadn't registered, but hellll that's a thin-ass margin. Off the top of my head, none of the people Cal assembled in his "team" would have registered... maybe Wendell Levi, though it's not totally clear to me he's actually powered and not just super-smart, though he is on the Index? Dunno.

Of course not. That doesn't mean the Index isn't important, and once the government knew who they were they got put on the Index. The Index isn't just about collecting data it's having it accessible to authorities when they need it, and if Cal's team had fought any government agencies before SHIELD they'd have no idea how to deal with them - while SHIELD did.
    This whole thing rings of the sort of unknown unknowns used to justify a good deal of anti-terrorism methods: just because nobody's ever seen a black swan doesn't mean we don't need to implement all sorts of anti-black-swan security measures!

In this case there are knowns, one was in Coulson's team. We know there's a race of super-humans on Earth, we know super serums exist and we know there is unknown variables that create super-humans, like Scorch and Creel. The Avengers themselves are a known Gifted team that is powerful enough to save the world. The government in the MCU doesn't know how anyone will react when they get super-powers, which could lead to people accidentally getting hurt by them or they'll use it maliciously, which isn't an unknown factor in the MCU. We know some Gifted have the potential to cause city-wide disasters - Hulk, Abomination, Skye, Lincoln. There's no guarantee the next time someone gets abilities like that it won't ruin lives and SHIELD isn't there to clean up the mess. The ones with the capabilities to do are the Avengers, and they're a five man squad, they can't be everywhere at once. Getting put on a list, monitored by SHIELD and not be able to use their powers in public is hardly what I'd call a massive anti-terrorism invasion, the lawful Gifted can have meaningful lives, it's the psychos who'd have harsh restrictions because they're threats to everyone. People don't need to have super powers to be imprisoned for being threats to society.

edit: These are known Gifted in AoS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1xp0AhEt0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5mcDeY24-M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JZdcPtfM70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRYx_u_w8Mc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxwbQbOmDQo

There's plenty more I can't find clips for and that's not going into the movies.

Since you don't see registration as an option how would you have authorities react to Gifted?

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    I think when you start adding "in the comics " to the conversation it muddles everything. Also "in the comics" usually references dumb things like Civil War.

AoS doesn't work with stuff that happened in the comics, so it's just an extravagant strawman when discussing things in the MCU because things in the comics don't exist in the MCU. There hasn't been a single person in the MCU who is the same as their comic counterpart. This is Agents of Shield not the comic book SHIELD unless you want to start talking about Quake and Bucky paling around the universe, the comparison to the comics falls apart super freaking fast.

Its the Marvel Universe either way. You know the group that wants heroes to be monitored and controlled are wrong, because the company sells Captain America, Hulk and Cyclops toys and not Government Bureaucrat, Secret Policeman and Tactical Superhero Killer figures.

It's two entirely separate universes. It destroys the conversation when you just start adding how things are in the comics even though they have demonstrably been shown to be different from the comics.

Yeah, in the comics Quake can do all sorts of stuff, in the MCU you have absolutely no evidence of all that stuff yet.

Then people have been throwing in mutants despite there being no mutants in the MCU.
    You can either have a conversation about registration in the MCU or about it in the comics, trying to have both at the same time is ridiculous and counter productive.

I actually think the quake in the comics and Daisy are easily identical. Quake in the comics, from what i recall of the first times seeing her, started out as a Shield agent who used her power with a skill that shows lots of practice, and a devotion to shield. However she seemed when we first met her to be a veteran. Sky is just her younger self.

Not really. Quake in the comics has had a decade or two of training and field experience, not really comparable to Skye.

I'm pretty sure Quake in the comics is like 18. Like it was a big deal she was an 18 year old director of SHIELD.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure Quake in the comics is like 18. Like it was a big deal she was an 18 year old director of SHIELD.
    She was 17 before Civil War, so it may be that comics "no one ages" stuff.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    I believe her age is mentioned in Secret Avengers from a couple years back. I'll look into it when I get home.

EDIT: but yes, the sliding timeline is at play here. Galactus first attacked Earth back in 2000 according to Mighty Avengers.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'll fuckin' take it.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I'm ok with this.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm surprised by how much I like Hunter, so I'm excited about this.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Imokaywiththis.jpg

I'd rather the two of them stay on AoS, though, honestly.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Roaming the streets, waving his mod gun around.Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    If we had powered people in real life, the world would look like Thedas in Dragon Age.

Except with less romances.

And gay men would have a lot more partners to choose from.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Nice to know we'll get more stuff with those two at least.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    I have no doubt Adrianne Palicki will be able to carry a spinoff (despite having recently watched the un-greenlit Wonder Woman pilot from a few years ago, which was even worse than I expected). If they can keep the 'on-again off-again' hijinks to a minimum then I have high hopes, and it can let May get back to being the major badass she was in season 1 - not that she hasn't still been going butt.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Frankly, I think the easiest way to handle registering powered people is to add it as a deductible on your taxes. Did you buy a home this year? Get a tax deduction. Did you gain the ability to fly this year? That's $1500 back into your pocket.

Lets be honest, if you offer people a tax break to register, the vast majority will sign up all on their own.

You...

Your super power is being an evil genius, isn't it?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Adrianne Palicki? And it's not her character (which is meh but bearable). I'm just not a big fan of her acting.

• Options
    Am I the only one who doesn't like Adrianne Palicki? And it's not her character (which is meh but bearable). I'm just not a big fan of her acting.

Yes.

• Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Agents of REAL SHIELD.

Do we have an backronym for REAL yet?

• Options
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Agents of REAL SHIELD.

Rescue
    Emergency
    Actionable
    Legion

They're SHIELD's first responders.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular

I found her acting a bit... "acty"... in her first couple of episodes, but I've grown to like her. Whether that's just me getting used to her, or an improvement with her acting/the directing/the show I'm not sure.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Yes.

She's actually not that great an actor, imo. They got great stuff out of her on Friday Night Lights, because Friday Night Lights was directed and filmed in a very different way, and they basically wrote characters around the actors' personalities, but I haven't found her particularly comfortable or believable as Bobbi so far. Pretty... wooden?

But <3 Tyra. Clear eyes, full hearts....

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    I've started watching AoS again, anticipating another cool tie in to the next MCU movie coming out, but I dunno how I feel about this spin off.

As much as I enjoy the MCU overall, I'm feeling a little over saturated lately.

I haven't even watched any of that new Dare Devil tv show.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    This wrote: »

I found her acting a bit... "acty"... in her first couple of episodes, but I've grown to like her. Whether that's just me getting used to her, or an improvement with her acting/the directing/the show I'm not sure.

I think her biggest 'flaw' is that we don't really know Bobbi outside of her relationship with Hunter. Her version of spying seems to be to be unassuming and helpful without divulging anything. She's professional to a fault, intentionally keeping people at arm's length. There hasn't been anything for her really to react to, purposely so.

Mack is different because he's genuinely likeable, took Fitz under his wing, etc.

The difference between them was highlighted when Mack convinced Bobbi to break it off with Hunter. They both understood that it would be easier for her mission to succeed if she distanced herself from the one person she cared about. Contrast that with Mack still trying to be buddies with Fitz.

It's actually an interesting contrast, since it shows that Mack the engineer is actually a better, more despicable liar than Bobbi the soldier/spy. I hope we see Bobbi's mask slip as we get to the season finale. It'd be nice to see more than glimpses of the real her.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm saying the actress has been given mostly bland material due to how the writers set up her character. She hasn't had the opportunity to display her acting chops because of it. Just remember: the last time people complained about a bland character and/or actor was with Ward.

Nightslyr on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Agents of REAL SHIELD.

Real
    Extra real
    Absolutely real
    Like really real

minor incident on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Yeah, considering that other character that got written off the first few eps as a bland and uninspired plank, I think we should let the show develop things a bit more before jumping to conclusions.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Adrianne Palicki is fine and Bobbi is OK, but I'd much rather see Ming-Na/May and Blair Underwood/Garner get a show instead.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    That seems like a trick you ought only pull once though.

That said Hunter does say she's a crazy hellbeast and as yet she has just been the bland, morally conflicted person as described above.

• Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    Adrianne Palicki is fine and Bobbi is OK, but I'd much rather see Ming-Na/May and Blair Underwood/Garner get a show instead.

May already has a show. I'm not gonna take this spinoff news/rumor too seriously as of yet. It doesn't really make a lot of sense to me.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/20/live3-abcs-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-emerges-as-the-1-program-in-tuesdays-9pm-hour-in-adults-18-49/392040/
    via press release:
    ABC’s Live + 3 Day data for Tuesday, 4/14/15

Based on Live + 3 Day data for Tuesday, ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. ranked as the #1 program in Tuesday’s 9 o’clock hour among Adults 18-49, leapfrogging over CBS’ NCIS: New Orleans to lead by a tenth of a rating point (2.5 rating vs. 2.4 rating). In the L+SD ratings, the ABC drama was 2-tenths behind the CBS drama, placing 2nd in the hour among young adults.

S.H.I.E.L.D. jumped +56% (or +0.9 rating points) over its L+SD Adult 18-49 rating compared to a +33% (+0.6 rating points) L+3 playback increase for NCIS: NO. In fact, S.H.I.E.L.D. was Tuesday’s biggest percentage gainer among all broadcast shows on the night with young adults.

S.H.I.E.L.D. also scored larger L+3 growth than NCIS: NO among Total Viewers, growing by +2.1 million viewers in TV playback (to 6.1 million Total Viewers in L+3 from 4.0 million in L+SD) versus a +2.0 million increase for the CBS drama.

Pretty sure NCIS still slaughters in overall numbers, but now the top show in the primary demographic!

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

That said Hunter does say she's a crazy hellbeast and as yet she has just been the bland, morally conflicted person as described above.

That's Hunter being a dick.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Well she did just totally betray him and all his buddies. That probably warrants a few cross words, though admittedly, the ones he uses are pretty inaccurate.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    Jragghen wrote: »
    http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2015/04/20/live3-abcs-marvels-agents-of-s-h-i-e-l-d-emerges-as-the-1-program-in-tuesdays-9pm-hour-in-adults-18-49/392040/
    via pretty meaningless press release:
    ABC’s Live + 3 Day data for Tuesday, 4/14/15

Pretty sure NCIS still slaughters in overall numbers, but now the top show in the primary demographic!

Fixed! Good thing the actual numbers are looking decent.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Well she did just totally betray him and all his buddies. That probably warrants a few cross words, though admittedly, the ones he uses are pretty inaccurate.

He did that before he knew about it, though.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    But it makes her having hellbeast moments more likely, too.

• Options
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    But it makes her having hellbeast moments more likely, too.

It makes them less likely to take his complaints about her seriously. Which they did.

This discussion has been closed.