Options

Italian Front [Chat]

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    i wonder if Firefly still holds up.

i have the first 3 seasons on DVD... maybe i should rewatch?

i, uh

Yeah, i know, it didn't go downhill until season 5, but I kept putting off buying the other seasons.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Yay new sister acquire

I don't think that's how the Big Sisters program works, Shiv

Release them

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    as a non-pc master race kool-aid drinker, valve seems generally fairly shitty

is the boner people have for them entirely half-life 2 and steam sales

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote: »

i think it's really handy to have roughly 55% of my game library launcheable from a single client.

Even if that means i don't actually own the games.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

yeah, pretty much

i mean, half life is just okay but the steam sales are what grabbed me

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Team Fortress 2, Portal 2, Left 4 Dead 2.

When valve decides to make a game it is generally good. They just seem to have a problem with the number 3, and they really don't have to make much of anything because they make bank every time someone buys a game through steam.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Don't forget Dota2.

everyone else did

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i'm still mad that literally every dota2 tournament replay is paywalled when you used to be able to get them for free
    generally the sites that do match commentary put their commentary up on youtube for free but it means you have to use their spectator which sucks

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Haha. i knew it.

Del Toro's Silent Hills is dead.

Del Toro is just videogame poison, it seems.

Which is sad because i really like Del Toro.
    has del toro made anything lately

every time i've heard about him in the past five years it's been an announcement that some thing will happen in the vague future, and then the announcement that that thing will not happen ever

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Haha. i knew it.

every time i've heard about him in the past five years it's been an announcement that some thing will happen in the vague future, and then the announcement that that thing will not happen ever

Pacific Rim.

• Options
    The CNN comments section on the Bruce Jenner article is chock-full o' derp, but in ways I never expected.

I particularly liked the guy who insisted that his coming-out interview was just another ploy from the Illuminati on Wall Street to "rob us all blind."

That's a thought process that goes not from A to B, but from A to F to X to Purple.

• Options
    Haha. i knew it.

I . . . kinda hope it stays that way

• Options
    Also, not nearly as bad as James Cameron and his decision to not make Battle Angel until the Avatar train gets run into the ground.

• Options
    What? You guys didn't like Hellboy? Or Pan's Labyrinth?

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Valve and blizzard has made pretty much every multiplayer game I have played a lot of in the last decade. And I only very rarely play single player stuff

That doesn't mean I necessarily love them, or take part in the pathetic "pcmasterrace" stuff, but overall they deliver more fun in my direction than anyone else so you know... I take what I can get

• Options
    Haha. i knew it.

Pacific rim, The Strain, Crimson Peak which is in post-production...

• Options
    Atomika wrote: »
    Haha. i knew it.

I wish i didn't have to disagree with you all the time, Atomika. :(

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    When valve opened the floodgates is about the time I could no longer find anything I wanted to buy from steam. The monetizing mods thing is pretty goofy in the way its implemented. If they wanted to do right by the community they should of set up the modders to get a majority of the funds.

Wonder how many people will jump off of steam and buy from amazon or whatever and then just add mods that way.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    portal 2 kind of sucked tbh

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2015
    I love his work and I was looking forward to Silent Hills.

Whatever happened between Konami and Kojima must have been fucking devastating, if they were willing to kill this massively hyped game over it.

Edit: to be clear, this was not toro's decision - Hideo Kojima is on his ass and out the door at Konami, and he was the EP of Silent Hills alongside Toro.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    has anyone read the new squirrel girl comic, is it good

• Options
    Phasen wrote: »
    When valve opened the floodgates is about the time I could no longer find anything I wanted to buy from steam. The monetizing mods thing is pretty goofy in the way its implemented. If they wanted to do right by the community they should of set up the modders to get a majority of the funds.

Wonder how many people will jump off of steam and buy from amazon or whatever and then just add mods that way.

From what I understand, Steam's cut is 30%, and then the developer/publisher of the game set their cut. Bethesda decided 45% which is why modders only get 25%.

Again, I think that Bethesda is being extremely unethical while I'm having trouble faulting Steam for trying a paid mod system.

• Options
    Although, as is normal, their implementation of it seems incredibly dumb.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    man i've not really been thinking much of the paid mods thing

part of it is that i just never use them, not even for bethesda games, so it's pretty out-of-sight out-of-mind for me

but even taking a second to think about it, it just seems incredibly shitty as a consumer

if i were developing mods i'd be pretty happy about it, i guess? but man

paying for mods doesn't really bother me ethically, but now the chance i don't use them has pretty well gone from 99 to 100%

• Options
    Well, the worst thing about the paid mods is the Steam Workshop is going to turn into the same thing as the Appstore. A shitton of awful quality drowning out the good stuff to the point that I can't be bothered to buy anything anymore.

• Options
    Honestly, i would love to see paid mods for Tabletop Simulator.

Can't think of other games where the paid workshop content could be good, though.

But can you imagine if TTS had paid mods? I'd feel a lot less bad for getting existing games on there.

Also i could sell my dumb board game ideas.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think there's a pretty serious issue with depending on other mods.

There are plenty of mods that depend on content provided by other mods, and there was a gentleperson's agreement between mod authors since there was no money in it.

Now there's money in it and I can make a paid mod that uses a bunch of free content provided by other mods.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Haha. i knew it.

*hugs*

I still think you're rad anyway <3

Atomika on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

part of it is that i just never use them, not even for bethesda games, so it's pretty out-of-sight out-of-mind for me

but even taking a second to think about it, it just seems incredibly shitty as a consumer

paying for mods doesn't really bother me ethically, but now the chance i don't use them has pretty well gone from 99 to 100%

aren't valve taking like, 75% of the money tho

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Steam has moved PC gaming in the last decade from something most publishers ignore and whole genres didn't launch on to arguably the premier platform to game on.

Their software is mediocre, their techsupport is atrocious. The VAC/account stealing rules is an abomination.

But their pricing structure combined with the trust they got as DRM and the fact that they were the first to give a crowd to the indie public essentially turned the entire industry around. Remember where the X1 and PS4 were heading before Sony hail mary'd with their "WE LOVE INDIES NOW" E3 presentation.
    During the 360 there were only 6 (?) indie games allowed to be released per month, they had to pay huge fees for every patch.

And consider that in the current gaming climate, the AAA titles are becoming increasingly safe and samey, and most of the (imo) fun stuff are coming from at least 1 or 2 tiers below.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »
    I think there's a pretty serious issue with depending on other mods.

There are plenty of mods that depend on content provided by other mods, and there was a gentleperson's agreement between mod authors since there was no money in it.

Now there's money in it and I can make a paid mod that uses a bunch of free content provided by other mods.

That's already exploded in Steam's face.

• Options

at a 25% cut and no money at all for the first couple hundred bucks

...ehhhhh

• Options
    Haha. i knew it.

*hugs*

I still think you're rad anyway <3

Yeah, i am pretty rad, i agree.

i mean, you're rad too.

:razz:

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Well, the worst thing about the paid mods is the Steam Workshop is going to turn into the same thing as the Appstore. A shitton of awful quality drowning out the good stuff to the point that I can't be bothered to buy anything anymore.

In my experience the Workshop was that way right from the start. I always found the good stuff either by trawling through the Nexus, or word of mouth in the Skyrim thread in G&T.

• Options
    Pooh, I thought of a good model for paid mods.

Show what the price for the mod is going to be, and show a "try" button, which does a pre-authorization of your card and let's you install the mod.

After 2 hours of in-game time, the game asks you if you want to keep the mod. If yes, your card is charged and you resume as normal. If no, your save is reverted to the point before the mod and the mod is deleted and cannot be given another trial unless a major point release happens (1.x to 2.x, not 1.1 to 1.2)

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Sadly, it's very unlikely that Kojima is out on his ass for the reasons I would have wanted him out on his ass long ago

• Options
    edited April 2015
    The shittiest part is that Valve apparently banned donation links in mod descriptions.

Echo on
This discussion has been closed.