Options

Italian Front [Chat]

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    man i've not really been thinking much of the paid mods thing

part of it is that i just never use them, not even for bethesda games, so it's pretty out-of-sight out-of-mind for me

but even taking a second to think about it, it just seems incredibly shitty as a consumer

if i were developing mods i'd be pretty happy about it, i guess? but man

paying for mods doesn't really bother me ethically, but now the chance i don't use them has pretty well gone from 99 to 100%

I wouldn't be, as a mod maker

they take a 75% cut

that's so much that being a professional mod maker is pretty much untennable, they're basically outsourcing DLC and paying less than minimum wage (in almost every case) for it

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Something being on steam doesn't necessarily eliminate it being possible off steam as well

I sincerely doubt Bethesda would make their next game totally unmoddable by traditional means even if they're on the workshop as well.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

part of it is that i just never use them, not even for bethesda games, so it's pretty out-of-sight out-of-mind for me

but even taking a second to think about it, it just seems incredibly shitty as a consumer

paying for mods doesn't really bother me ethically, but now the chance i don't use them has pretty well gone from 99 to 100%

they take a 75% cut

that's so much that being a professional mod maker is pretty much untennable, they're basically outsourcing DLC and paying less than minimum wage (in almost every case) for it

I don't get it, is 25% < 0%

I'd say 25% is a fucking lot tbh, some mod makers can easily make more than actual full time developers of the original game.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    i would imagine it would be very easy to pirate mods in that situation syndalis (although its probably pretty easy on the current solution too so)

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote: »

they take a 75% cut

I'd say 25% is a fucking lot tbh, some mod makers can easily make more than actual full time developers of the original game.

[citation needed]

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular

they take a 75% cut

As far as royalties go, it's not bad.

I'm pretty sure traditionally published authors make less, and musicians get less off album sales.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    If Bethesda doesn't switch engines, they may have little choice.
    The majority of high rated Gamebryo mods run through a special loader to among other things use more of the available RAM and have more interaction with the game itself, which is impossible through the workshop.
    I'm 99% sure that it is also completely trivial to pirate these paid mods because of the way Skyrim loads in mods.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Tav wrote: »

they take a 75% cut

[citation needed]

There are people who have made skins for dota2 and csgo making serious cash from it and I think they get about 25% as well

there are a lot of people on steam

Sparvy on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    It is also 25% with a minimum of $100.
    If the mod makes $399 Valve+Bethesda keep all of it.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

they take a 75% cut

Not when they get 45% to every 25% the modder does.

I'm questionable about the entire thing but people are using the Bethseda numbers like they're gospel, apparently they get to choose what they charge mods using their game. If it were more like 10% I would be much less opposed.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    Sadly, it's very unlikely that Kojima is out on his ass for the reasons I would have wanted him out on his ass long ago

He put his name on Lords of Shadow 2.
    He didn't do squat to help the devs make the game.
    Lords of Shadow 2 was a sales dud.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Modding something like Skyrim or Fallout 3 with a simple "click to install mod" interface is impossible. They're already on the workshop but nobody really uses it aside from very basic additions or modifications.

• Options
    now if the mod maker got a 75% cut I'd be all for it with just a few reservations (with such a mature modding scene and so many mods requiring so many other mods its a clusterfuck)

• Options

they take a 75% cut

hahaha, yeah right

skyrim mods are not dota skins

• Options
    Mods are made by enthusiasts and should always remain free. If a mod maker puts in a billion hours and makes a professional-quality mod, their reward is devs will notice it and hire them.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Mods are made by enthusiasts and should always remain free. If a mod maker puts in a billion hours and makes a professional-quality mod, their reward is devs will notice it and hire them.

This is ridiculous.

A person can charge for their work if they want to. They are not obligated to just give it to you free of charge because it might get them 'valuable experience.'

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    half life 3 skyrim mod

suck on that Gabe

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

"It's great for your portfolio."

• Options
    Haha.
    Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.

25% is fucking generous.

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    I'm not getting the amount of hate Valve is (apparently) receiving from this, it seems ill-conceived but not the second coming of EA. Were Skyrim modders raking in the money before this? If you're concerned about certain publishers using mods in the future to flesh out their unfinished products, don't buy their shitty games or slave labor produced mods.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

This does not have to be true.

Like, the upcoming unreal tournament is going to have a marketplace where people can make weapons, game types, characters and maps and get a 70/30 split for sales of those items.

Collections of things can be aggregated and turned into bundles which you can buy and in turn end up with an entirely new game with different rules, physics, weapons, etc.

It can be done right. I don't think Bethesda is doing it right though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Also, not all mods are made by enthusiasts. Many are professional.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    theres only like 60 mods with more than 1 million downloads on nexus
    even for those extremely popular mods, at 25% cut to get "more than actual full time developers of the original game" you'd still need a really high (I'd assume unrealistically high) conversion rate from free downloaders to paid downloaders

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Jesus, I'm actually still trying to process someone here saying that they deserve someone else's work for free because it might get them a job at some point.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Honestly, i would love to see paid mods for Tabletop Simulator.

Can't think of other games where the paid workshop content could be good, though.

But can you imagine if TTS had paid mods? I'd feel a lot less bad for getting existing games on there.

Also i could sell my dumb board game ideas.

except there's nowhere for the actual board game devs to get a cut from it unless they develop the mod themselves

given that it seems it's mostly just users implementing the board games they want on there it seems better from a legal standpoint if they'd just not done paid mods

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Haha.
    Typically, an author can expect to receive the following royalties: Hardback edition: 10% of the retail price on the first 5,000 copies; 12.5% for the next 5,000 copies sold, then 15% for all further copies sold. Paperback: 8% of retail price on the first 150,000 copies sold, then 10% thereafter.

25% is fucking generous.

I think it would be wiser to compare it to other digital app markets.

Apple takes 30% (plus $99/yr to be a registered developer), you get 70%.

Books are a major pain in the ass because they are a physical product that takes up space and requires expensive industries to produce and transport.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Jesus, I'm actually still trying to process someone here saying that they deserve someone else's work for free because it might get them a job at some point.

that is a pretty silly way to interpret it though

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Well, the worst thing about the paid mods is the Steam Workshop is going to turn into the same thing as the Appstore. A shitton of awful quality drowning out the good stuff to the point that I can't be bothered to buy anything anymore.

In my experience the Workshop was that way right from the start. I always found the good stuff either by trawling through the Nexus, or word of mouth in the Skyrim thread in G&T.

this is exactly my feelings on it

i wasn't having fun with skyrim and it was suggested i try a few mods

even having a list of suggestions it was a chore to slog through the workshop for what i was looking for

there was a good number of mods that had similar names too and it just seemed exactly like trawling through the app store for something

implementing a paid system doesn't really sound like it'll affect it much for me

• Options

That's the way iD did it. That's the way Epic did it. I think. Did Epic hire people who participated in those Make Something Unreal contests?

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »

at a 25% cut and no money at all for the first couple hundred bucks

...ehhhhh

eh

steam taking a 30% cut seems fair enough, i don't think the devs should be able to take as high a cut as bethesda is going for

especially not bethesda given that my experience with their games is pretty fuckin' garbo with how bug ridden they are

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Why are you comparing mods to apple apps? A better comparison would be youtube videos

they aren't competing with other paid mods

they are competing with years of free mods

75% cut from them is garbage, I'm continually amazed by the immediate response of so many consumers to suck corporate wang, Bethesda's games on PC depend on the modding community

they're shitting where they eat right now, they should be taking 50% (valve+beth) at the most

override367 on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    The problem with mods is that they take an existing product and remix it. Not just games, but other mods too. So for years, mods have played off other mods. Stealing everything and making a small tweak, throwing in a little attribution line for all the parts they were made from. And that's fine, no one got mad when all mods were free or at best donation supported.

But throw in a marketplace, put a price on them and it's just a drama bomb waiting to happen. I am astonished valve didn't see this coming.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Haha.

25% is fucking generous.

Books are a major pain in the ass because they are a physical product that takes up space and requires expensive industries to produce and transport.

If you self-publish, yes.

If you want to publish your mod through Workshop, you have a deal to work out.

If you want to self-publish, you can keep a lot more of the profit.

So this is typical.

Do you think authors are getting 75% of an e-book published traditionally? If so, I have a bridge to sell you.

• Options
    syndalis wrote: »
    Haha.

25% is fucking generous.

still not exactly a good comparison since mods are by definition derivative work and not an original product, apps built on licensed software probably pay decent chunk to do so

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    there's an Orphan Black thread but it's pretty negative

yeah I won't bother posting there

• Options
    The problem with mods is that they take an existing product and remix it. Not just games, but other mods too. So for years, mods have played off other mods. Stealing everything and making a small tweak, throwing in a little attribution line for all the parts they were made from. And that's fine, no one got mad when all mods were free or at best donation supported.

But throw in a marketplace, put a price on them and it's just a drama bomb waiting to happen. I am astonished valve didn't see this coming.

Am I committing piracy by keeping skyui installed on my PC?

Do I have to buy the new version? What about the mods that all require Skyui?

this is a clusterfuck

• Options

That's the way iD did it. That's the way Epic did it. I think. Did Epic hire people who participated in those Make Something Unreal contests?

Did iD or Epic stop modders from selling mods? I don't remember them doing so, but if they did, then they were in the wrong.

If they simply hired some modders who were doing mods, then that has nothing to do with what we're talking about.

• Options
    Iirc Unreal Engine 4 takes a 5% cut of any games made with it

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I checked a random thread on a different forum i used to go to.

good gravy those people are morons.

• Options

yeah this is more or less the problem

the issues arise entirely from the fact that they now cost money and what that means in terms of identifying original creators, mods based on (or "inspired by") ip's owned by other companies etc etc

the cut for the mod makers is not even close to being the biggest reason why this is a bad idea

This discussion has been closed.