Options

Wherefore Singularity Engine? Blame the [Star Wars] thread.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I'm pretty ok with the Special Editions up until the Honey Comb Crazy Craving musical number, and then I have to literally leave the room

I'm in a similar boat. I really liked the improvement to the CG while still sticking to the original aesthetic. I loved what they did with Bespin. I can take or leave adding some of the scenes back in (I liked Biggs getting back in).. but the musical number, the changes to Han all over, and the added special special edition tweaks I want to go.

My hope is that Disney can somehow give you an "Editable" version - like you select what kind of experience you want, scaled between 100% original and 100% tweaked, and let you customize your version. I don't know if Blu-ray supports that or not, though.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I'm pretty ok with the Special Editions up until the Honey Comb Crazy Craving musical number, and then I have to literally leave the room

The horrible thing is that the Special Edition's RotJ final montage is actually genuinely great (Hayden's ghost not withstanding).

It replaced that stupid as hell YUB YUB theme with, like, an actually good thematically appropriate ending song.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck that. Yub Yub was great. Also it is idiotic that the capital planet immediately revolts on death of the Emperor. Those revelers would be gunned down instantly. Also get Naboo out of my original Star Wars movies.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    At least the Special Edition music sounds like John Williams music.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Other good things in the Special Editions:

Planets having a visible atmosphere
    Cloud City having windows
    Snow Speeder windows not having black lines around them

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Not that number in Jabba's Palace.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Also I don't care what changes they made, none of them make up for removing Sebastian Shaw.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular

This is how I feel about the '97 editions

Any additional changes are sorta bs in my book

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    i want a version of rotj that puts the female fighter pilots back in

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    i want a version of rotj that puts the female fighter pilots back in
    Out can totally still see them in the briefing! The woman X-Wing pilot is the most obvious.

• Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    there's one who still exists iirc but got dubbed over with a guy's voice

i never noticed as a kid but when i watched the films again a year ago it was like "whoa hey"

i don't really get why they did that???

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I didn't even remember there were ever female pilots

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Other good things in the Special Editions:

Planets having a visible atmosphere
    Cloud City having windows
    Snow Speeder windows not having black lines around them

The Snowspeeder interiors were also partially transparent in some of the scenes.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Also I don't care what changes they made, none of them make up for removing Sebastian Shaw.

The 97 Special Editions didn't, did it?

That's the one I think of when I say "special edition"

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I didn't even remember there were ever female pilots

They filmed several female pilots for use during the big fleet battle. An A-Wing pilot, a B-Wing pilots, and an X-Wing pilot. The scenes survived up till the first test screening then removed. The X-Wing pilot had several pages of dialog apparently. You can still see them if you look closely at the big briefing establishing shot.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Here is the X-Wing pilot.

female-rotj-pilot-img-2.jpg

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Here is the A-Wing pilot. Her shot even has full matting and FX added showing how late the cut was.

18898uow9fyk8jpg.jpg

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    that's the one that's actually in the film but dubbed over! I was curious so I looked it up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZigWFyK2o&feature=youtu.be&t=2m32s

2:32, I forget if embedding time works or not

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    I just realized yesterday that the PC version of Rogue Squadron is on GOG. Going to have to pick that up.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Dumb 1980s test audiences.

They should have just put the women pilots in anyway.

• Options
    So Star Wars trivia people, who was that Y-Wing pilot who aced two Tie Interceptors in one pass, with a BOMBER.

Other than Wedge, I believe that's the only Rebel "ace" pilot we see with multiple kills on screen.

• Options
    UrielUriel Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    I just realized yesterday that the PC version of Rogue Squadron is on GOG. Going to have to pick that up.
    It is kind of buggy. At least for me.

I get this camera bug that makes it unplayable. Basically the camera doesn't keep following the fighter.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    So Star Wars trivia people, who was that Y-Wing pilot who aced two Tie Interceptors in one pass, with a BOMBER.

Other than Wedge, I believe that's the only Rebel "ace" pilot we see with multiple kills on screen.

I like to believe it was the same unnamed pilot who survived the 1st Death Star attack. I guess EU named that guy after the character from the firs X-Wing game, but that seems stupid.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Not that number in Jabba's Palace.

Because the celebration song that replaced Yub Nub is awesome and written by Williams, and the Crazy Craving number is terrible and written by some other dingus and is literally called "Jedi Rocks".

mkc.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Why isn't there a Star Wars Top Gun?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    jizz music is the worst

also is called jizz

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Counterpoint: The music played in the Mos Eisley cantina is jizz music.

• Options
    edited April 2015

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Two_(Battle_of_Endor)

of all the dudes in all the films, this one apparently didn't get a name somehow. go figure. Y-wings get no respect.

e: ugh link doesn't want to play nice, just copy and paste

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Things I never noticed before while watching that clip.

The wings are apparently multi craft. At Yavin Red was just X-Wing, at Endor Red has X-Wing and Y-Wing, Lando is Gold Leader in the Falcon, ect.

The initial jump into battle always made me think the rebels only had like three cruisers and how do those dozens of Star Destroyers not just obliterate them, but in various shots, especially near the Super Star Destroyer's demise you can see a ton more Mon Cals out there and when Wedge and Lando make it out of the Death Star you see the rebel fleet in the distance and it is huge!

Right before the Falcon looses its radar dish, you see a shot of Wedge's fighter in front and it closes its S-foils to fit through a gap.

In other news, the Super Star Destroyer getting its bridge taken out and IMMEDIATELY nose diving into the Death Star has been, and always will be supremely stupid.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Put the link in (url) (/url) tags.

• Options
    Hey! That SSD destruction is awesome!

• Options
    I am just finding out that my best friend met Mark Hamill today and I do not know how to deal with this

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I am just finding out that my best friend met Mark Hamill today and I do not know how to deal with this

By being super jealous

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mostly, yeah

• Options
    Daypigeon wrote: »

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Red_Two_(Battle_of_Endor)

of all the dudes in all the films, this one apparently didn't get a name somehow. go figure. Y-wings get no respect.

e: ugh link doesn't want to play nice, just copy and paste

He is a nameless legend, like that guy who flew an F-15 fighter with one wing.

Okay, he had a name, but still.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »

By being super jealous
    I was going to suggest "kill your friend and assume your friend's identity so you could say that you met Mark Hamill". But I suppose the whole "be super jealous" thing works as well.

• Options
    I don't have the legs to pull off most of her outfits

• Options
    Kill Mark Hamill and wear his skin.

• Options
    I can't do the voices! There's no win condition here

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Fuck that. Yub Yub was great. Also it is idiotic that the capital planet immediately revolts on death of the Emperor. Those revelers would be gunned down instantly. Also get Naboo out of my original Star Wars movies.

They actually were. Offscreen. It was a terrible massacre.

[IMG][/img]
This discussion has been closed.