Options

Hey, [chat]. We're not gonna get away with this, will we?

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Bogart wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Re-watching the West Wing and although I love it so it's hard not to wince at the way Sorkin writes for women. Even CJ gets patted on the head and talked down to by basically everyone else. It's difficult to believe she'd have gone on to become Chief of Staff is Sorkin was still writing in the 6th season.

there's a bit of that with CJ but I really liked Ainsley Hayes and Mrs Bartlett and Mary Louise Parker's character

I love practically all the female characters on the show (especially CJ - I could listen to Alison Janney laugh forever), and it does get better as it goes on. Mandy is the smartest, least 'silly' female character on the show in the first season (Abbey is great but not really a regular), and she's slowly pushed aside until she vanishes entirely.

Then why the wincing? How they're treated would reflect on the male characters or what Sorkin thinks about the male characters if the female characters are otherwise great, wouldn't it?

I mean I agree with you to an extent, I get a weird feeling about his writing on this too, but it's hard for me to say if there's something wrong with it. Do we think he's saying 'this is how women are to be treated' or do we think he's saying 'this is how I have observed women to be treated'?

Maybe it's that while there are problems with some of what he writes, he still has a really good eye for character that shows through even with his worst plot or dialogue ideas.

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    I was right!

The there is a specific section of the game where [REDACTED] mentions character so much its like well GEE I wonder why this is happening.

The game has real bad writing, glad I watched a friend play it and didn't buy it myself, Ill probably get the reprint with all the DLC later on just to play it.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    The reaction from the social justice illuminati I follow on twitter to the new Fire Emblem featuring queer marriage potential has been a weird example of how some aspects of the community are constantly looking gift horses in the mouth - it's a lot of ellipses and erring, "it's a good start"s, "it doesn't feel like progress just Nintendo half-arsing things as usual", etc

What is nintendo doing with the queer stuff?

New Fire Emblem will have a character in both the male protagonist and female protagonist version that you can get gay married with, I am not sure what the overall mechanical consequences are!
    they have a kid who's future self time travels into the current time so you can force them to do battle for you

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2015
    Then why the wincing? How they're treated would reflect on the male characters or what Sorkin thinks about the male characters if the female characters are otherwise great, wouldn't it?

I mean I agree with you to an extent, I get a weird feeling about his writing on this too, but it's hard for me to say if there's something wrong with it. Do we think he's saying 'this is how women are to be treated' or do we think he's saying 'this is how I have observed women to be treated'?

Maybe it's that while there are problems with some of what he writes, he still has a really good eye for character that shows through even with his worst plot or dialogue ideas.

The wincing occurs when, for example, CJ says she doesn't understand something like the census and asks Sam to explain it to her slowly while he patronises her. It's not a comment on the characters that this conversation is taking place, it's just a conversation they're having, and in part it's a way of introducing information to the audience as well. He's not saying LOOK AT THE SEXISM in this example; he's saying CJ doesn't understand the census (which seems unlikely given how smart she is) and Sam needs to explain it to her as he would to a child. Hence the wince.

I don't think it's conscious direction from Sorkin about how women are or should be treated, just how he tended to write female characters as kind of dumb in certain areas, and in need of a man to explain things slowly to them. I don't think this is a problem throughout the show's whole run, or even a problem throughout the whole time Sorkin was writing for it.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Oh also DC/WB/Rocksteady all lied repeatedly and said he was a 100% original character.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    is batman the arkham knight

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    i had to google her

man her skrillex haircut is awful

[img ]htt p://www.elle.my/uploadfiles/image/gallery/celebrity/July-Celebrity-Beauty/natalie_dormer.jpg[/img]

that haircut was SUPER popular with lesbians here in 2012

It looked stupid then and it still looks stupid now

watch it I am shiny chrome and ready for Valhalla

mad-max-fury-road-war-boy.jpg?w=600

Walhalla

The War Boys are going to Walhalla

The shiny ones, anyway

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I don't mind misdirection like that, to be honest. It's not like they skimped out on the game in some way, they just fibbed about something to throw you off the scent of someone's secret identity.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular

The wincing occurs when, for example, CJ says she doesn't understand something like the census and asks Sam to explain it to her slowly while he patronises her. It's not a comment on the characters that this conversation is taking place, it's just a conversation they're having, and in part it's a way of introducing information to the audience as well. He's not saying LOOK AT THE SEXISM in this example; he's saying CJ doesn't understand the census (which seems unlikely given how smart she is) and Sam needs to explain it to her as he would to a child. Hence the wince.

I don't think it's conscious direction from Sorkin about how women are or should be treated, just how he tended to write female characters as kind of dumb in certain areas, and in need of a man to explain things slowly to them. I don't think this is a problem throughout the show's whole run, or even a problem throughout the whole time Sorkin was writing for it.

I think he's got a lot of scenes where smart people male and female don't understand something rudimentary because there's a hole in their usually fleshed-out and impressive education

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Oh also DC/WB/Rocksteady all lied repeatedly and said he was a 100% original character.

I haven't been following the marketing, but wasn't there a big "Who is the Arkham Knight" campaign? How could the answer to that be compelling if they were entirely original?

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    So I woke up and was thinking, oh, I had a pretty great time last night and I realized that I forgot that goddamn umbrella
    Goddamnit

poo
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    there was also the episode where a female extra notes that it's kinda sexist how the guys react to the female republican character (I can't remember her name) doing well by complimenting her appearance as opposed to on her competence and the moral of the episode is "lol ignore that they're just a prude"

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses
    Joker - because it's always Joker.

Jason Todd - they mentioned Joker killing a Robin in a Asylum, it'd be this dude. He shows up again as a fake Batman for revenge.

Joker again - because it's always Joker.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    there was also the episode where a female extra notes that it's kinda sexist how the guys react to the female republican character (I can't remember her name) doing well by complimenting her appearance as opposed to on her competence and the moral of the episode is "lol ignore that they're just a prude"

THAT one was definitely a thing

I mean I see what the point was, which as far as I could tell was sometimes people are overly sensitive and call out behavior that is not really sexist (I believe in that situation Sam was complimenting Ainsley on looking good in her cocktail dress for whatever evening thing was going on)

the problem being who gives a shit about that point

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

It was a tool to explain the census to the viewers a little bit. Every character does that during the West Wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S72__VUs-RE

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

I was just thinking the other day how weirdly fast the transition was from "Oblivion Horse Armor LoL" to "DLC is normal and everyone accepts it"

2006: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Horse Armor for $2.50 - GAMING'S GREATEST CONTROVERSY

2011: Saints Row: The Third - Cheat Code DLC for $3.50 - NOBODY FUCKING CARES

Gamers

Bullshit becomes standard practice if you do it enough.

Remember EVE and its $70 Monocle?

Eh, it wasn't really a $70 monocle though.

It was a billion isk monocle (or something, I forget the amount)

Now you could spend $70 and buy that isk, but it's not like you can (legitimately) sell that isk for cash if you got it some other way.

Lots and lots of players have several billion isk just lying around.

Not quite right.

You bought the monocle with a currency you could could only obtain by trading in plexs (a plex being a trade-able 30 day subscription to the game).

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses

Jason Todd - they mentioned Joker killing a Robin in a Asylum, it'd be this dude. He shows up again as a fake Batman for revenge.

ur a winner

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses

ur a winner is you

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Haphazard wrote: »
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses

ur a winner wiener is you

• Options
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses

ur a winner is you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvTxv46ano

• Options
    When I was a young, single woman in Japan in the 1980s, the economy was red hot and so was the dating scene.

Cool girls weren't ashamed of losing their virginity before marriage.

Of course for me personally, losing my virginity was a big deal. But socially, it was no biggie. It was the 80s, Japan was alive, and life was good.

Goodness, how times have changed.

It's alarming for me, and many of my peers, to see the enthusiasm about sex and relationships we felt during our youth replaced by the sexual indifference seen in Japan today.

A government survey released this week suggested that nearly 40 percent of Japanese in their twenties and thirties and not in a relationship don't think they need a romantic partner, with many calling relationships "bothersome."

Another survey from 2010 found that one in four Japanese men in their thirties who've never been married are virgins. The figures were only slightly less for women.

Apathy to sex

This sexual apathy is extremely troubling for Japan, which has the world's most rapidly aging population, sparking concerns that citizens will not produce enough children to sustain a healthy economy in the coming years.

I was skeptical when I learned of a nude art class aimed at inspiring Japan's growing population of middle-aged virgins.

I thought, if a man hasn't had any kind of sexual relationship by his thirties or forties, simply sketching a nude woman is like throwing a drop of water on a forest fire. It's not going to solve the problem.

But then we interviewed Takashi Sakai (we've agreed to change his name), a 41-year-old Japanese virgin who says these classes, offered bimonthly in Tokyo by the non-profit White Hands, are the closest he's ever been to a real, naked woman and not some fantasized version in Japanese manga.

"When you see a woman and find her attractive, you might ask her out, hold her hand, kiss and that's how it goes," Sakai says.

"But in my case, it did not happen for me. I thought it might happen naturally, but it never did."

Never been kissed

Shingo Sakatsume -- a self-styled "sex helper" working with White Hands -- says middle-aged virgins who would like their situation to change lack real life experience with women, so allowing them to spend time looking at the female body is a first step to solve the issue.

"In Japanese society, we have so much entertainment beyond love and sex. We have animation, celebrities, comics, game and sports," he says.

"Why do you need to choose love or sex over the other fun things that don't have the potential for pain and suffering?"

The illusion of a perfect relationship, combined with the Japanese fear of failure, has created a serious social problem, he says.

He knows the apparent disconnect is leading to fewer relationships, record low birth rates, and a shrinking population.

The classes seem to be helping Sakai, a mountain climber and teacher who, at 41, is not only a virgin, but also has never been in a relationship or even been kissed.

For years, he's kept his virginity a secret from friends, co-workers, and family.

"Not telling others (I'm a virgin) was the same as pretending the problem does not exist," says Sakai "It was like putting it away on a shelf where nobody can see it."

Old clichés

As I watch my six-year-old son grow up, I always think about whether Japan will be a good home.

By 2060 when he becomes my age, if current trends continue, Japan's population will have shrunk by more than 30%.

Two in five people will be older than 65. Will Japan be able to sustain itself? What will his life be like?

Japanese views on sex and relationships have changed dramatically during my 27-year career.

Back in the bubble economy of the 1980s, unmarried girls over 25 were called "Christmas Cake" -- a term for something you throw out after the season has passed.

In the 1990s, the concept became "year-end noodle."

In Japan, we eat noodles on New Year's Eve. If not eaten by the 31st, they also get thrown out like Christmas cakes.

Today, many laugh at these old clichés.

Twenty years of economic stagnation seems to have led to emasculation of some Japanese men, who can no longer count on finding a job that will pay enough to support a wife and children.

"Economic status and income is closely tied to self-esteem. Lower income means lower self-esteem," Sakatsume says.

"Having lower self-esteem makes it difficult to commit to a love relationship."

Sakai now shares his story openly at White Hands classes. He says confiding in others helps him realize he's not alone.

"There are so many people living as though they have no sexual desire. I feel first hand that (these) kind of people are quietly on the rise."

Sakai says he still hopes to say goodbye to his virginity but is philosophical about it.

"I feel much better now because I can talk about it. And by talking about it, I've come to realize that my situation is not something that I must change, but I must recognize," he says.

"I haven't given up yet."

*stares at Japan*

• Options
    Trace wrote: »
    It was a tool to explain the census to the viewers a little bit. Every character does that during the West Wing.

I know that (and said it in the post you quoted!), and early on in the West Wing it's pretty much always a smart guy explaining things to an unknowing woman.

This is not a BIG THING that ruins my enjoyment, guys. It was a casual observation about a show I haven't watched for a good few years and am now re-watching.

• Options
    I was right!

Here are my 3 guesses

ur a winner wiener is you
    Nope, Buabaspitzle. See regional terms.

• Options
    sexual indifference and fear of failure, huh

• Options
    That 150 Xbone controller sounds real nice if I had an xbone and the disposable cash for it.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That 150 Xbone controller sounds real nice if I had an xbone and the disposable cash for it.

It's honestly kind of awesome, in the way that an expensive gaming mouse is awesome.

It will also work for PC.

My biggest issue is durability and warranty. If I am dropping 150 bucks on a piece of precision gaming input (which I totally have for things like arcade sticks or racing wheels) I need to know that thing is going to last me many many years and if it doesn't that I have recourse.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    on the other hand i forgot my umbrella at the ice cream place...

poo
  • Options
    i'm going to go stand perfectly still in the shower for 20 minutes now

• Options

I know that (and said it in the post you quoted!), and early on in the West Wing it's pretty much always a smart guy explaining things to an unknowing woman.

This is not a BIG THING that ruins my enjoyment, guys. It was a casual observation about a show I haven't watched for a good few years and am now re-watching.

Oh, yeah I can agree with that. I never really picked up on a sexism thing though because those scenes have always been "explain this to the viewer in the simplest terms possible" regardless of who the character is getting explained too.

/shrug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7H_L5cYkg8

• Options
    i'm going to go stand perfectly still in the shower for 20 minutes now

So anime

• Options
    goddamnit Paddy Considine

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular
    Phone interview in 10 minutes >.>

God help us all.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    OMG u guys / gays / goys I set a personal 5k record of 29:49 (9:33 min/mi) this morning even though my butt is still extremely sore from weak babby lifting two days ago

Maybe running Jesus has shown me his favor for my lent-long keto suffering in the light of his glory

@desc money pleeeeeeease

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    what is running Jesus's opinion on goys

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    OMG u guys / gays / goys I set a personal 5k record of 29:49 (9:33 min/mi) this morning even though my butt is still extremely sore from weak babby lifting two days ago

Maybe running Jesus has shown me his favor for my lent-long keto suffering in the light of his glory

@desc money pleeeeeeease

See, birthday wishes are good for something.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

It's honestly kind of awesome, in the way that an expensive gaming mouse is awesome.

My biggest issue is durability and warranty. If I am dropping 150 bucks on a piece of precision gaming input (which I totally have for things like arcade sticks or racing wheels) I need to know that thing is going to last me many many years and if it doesn't that I have recourse.

I dunno if I could justify spending that much on a better pad experience over say a flight stick or wheel which gives an entirely new experience.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2015
    evilbob wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »

I dunno if I could justify spending that much on a better pad experience over say a flight stick or wheel which gives an entirely new experience.

I mean, people already do, it's just generally not a 1st party thing.

If you play enough competitive games on a console that having access to 8 programmable buttons without having to take your fingers off the sticks, and being able to drastically shorten the travel of the triggers, and being able to adjust the height and surface style of your sticks along with the analog acceleration curve (precision in the middle and fast on the outside for instance) matters to you, then this is probably a small investment.

My guess is that they are not expecting to sell a ton of these - they are aiming squarely at the enthusiasts.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Skinny jeans could leave you weak in the knees, literally.

One woman was hospitalized for days after her jeans caused her to lose feeling in her legs, according to a study published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.

The study said that squatting in skinny jeans can damage nerves and muscles in the legs.

The 35-year-old woman had spent her day helping a relative move, squatting for hours as she emptied closets. When she was walking home that night, her feet grew numb, and she tripped and fell. Immobilized, she spent hours on the ground before she was found and rushed to the hospital.

"We blame what happened on a combination of prolonged squatting for hours and the tight jeans she was wearing," said Dr. Thomas Kimber who treated the patient.

Doctors were forced to cut the jeans off her calves because they had become so swollen.
    "Normally muscles can expand to compensate for swelling, but there was a tourniquet effect, so the muscles had to expand inwards and compressed blood vessels and nerves," said Kimber.

She lost circulation in her lower legs and couldn't move her ankles or toes properly, according to the study.

"If she hadn't been able to come to the hospital, the compression could have gone on longer and caused residual nerve damage," said Kimber, who is an associate professor at the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia.

After four days on an IV, she could walk again and was released from the hospital.

So if you don't want to be a fashion victim, think twice before wiggling into a too-tight pair of skinny jeans.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    what is running Jesus's opinion on goys

Big fan

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
This discussion has been closed.