Options

anime [chat]

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Chicago has a lot of gun control

but other parts of Illinois and Indiana doesn't, I guess

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    it's a zero sum policy position between urban and rural because of internal movement of guns, obviously

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    It amazes me how we all get sucked into the poorly written article that cuts out a lot of what he actually says to make a certain point instead of the actual 10 minute interview where this is about 1 minute and the other 9 are him talking about everything from work programs to race to economic inequality and institutional racism that enforces it.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    It amazes me how we all get sucked into the poorly written article that cuts out a lot of what he actually says to make a certain point instead of the actual 10 minute interview where this is about 1 minute and the other 9 are him talking about everything from work programs to race to economic inequality and institutional racism that enforces it.

yeah but then we can't bleed from our eyes because he violated our favorite shibboleth

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    no transcript no read

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    It amazes me how we all get sucked

Mazzyx refuses to clarify controversial oral intercourse stance

• Options
    why listen to what he actually says when I can instead read something that poorly sums up his stances

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    no transcript no read

Top of it is a play button.

They don't the transcript up yet I don't think because the interview played for the first time no more than an hour ago. Not sure they will put it up but I know it is difficult to listen to things. Hard in this digital age. :P

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    News just doesn't read like news if there isn't a hefty dose of reporting bias involved.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    I think he was talking about differences in culture towards guns between the rural and urban areas. Which are very different.

Also he goes on and lists what he does want to do for gun control. I mean this man has an average rating from the NRA of an F or a D.

And guess what? The stuff he wants to do are very much the same things you hear from most Dems including Obama. Tighten restrictions on guns. Increase the background checks. Get rid of whatever is left of the gun show loop hole. Increase care for mental illness while finding ways to restrict folks with mental illness from getting guns. Even mentioned the assault weapon ban which I won't get into the word stuff.

So guess what? He isn't that different from most folks unless you are looking for absolute and total banning of firearms which will not happen no matter who you vote for.

I don't -want- a total banning of firearms. I want heavy goddamned restrictions on them. So, cool. Bernie probably wants a lot of the same stuff I want regarding that.

Talking about Vermont, a state which is almost 100% white and that has a population less 10,000 in the state capital, and acting like it's representative of even a large swathe of -hunters- in the US is ridiculous.

Defend your constituents Bernie but don't act like they're a representative of any significant portion of the US population. Because they're not. Especially in comparison to multi-ethnic, multi-cultural cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago.

• Options
    no transcript no read

Top of it is a play button.

They don't the transcript up yet I don't think because the interview played for the first time no more than an hour ago. Not sure they will put it up but I know it is difficult to listen to things. Hard in this digital age. :P

I saw the play button, I just refused to touch it

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    And people wonder why I twitch at stuff like twitter being used for political discourse.

Full sentences, paragraphs and speeches are important to the context of a story and a stance.

A single sentence or a few small lines is playing tabloid gotcha bullshit.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I twitch at speeches all the time because a policy stance can switch in the space of three sentences, and with the right intonation it might not even be noticed

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    And people wonder why I twitch

*Nods thoughtfully*

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    guns have legitimate uses, so you can have one if you're using it for one of those

those uses being hunting, sports shooting and collecting. For those you need a hunting license, active membership in a gun club, and membership in the norwegian historical weapon society, respectively.

And you need to be approved by the police. The rules for what kind of and how many guns you can own depend on why.

Legally this is all based on the weapon law §7 that says "need or other reasonable cause"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    And people wonder why I twitch at stuff like twitter being used for political discourse.

Full sentences, paragraphs and speeches are important to the context of a story and a stance.

who needs context when i can have a 6 second clip of obama saying the n-word?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    I think he was talking about differences in culture towards guns between the rural and urban areas. Which are very different.

Also he goes on and lists what he does want to do for gun control. I mean this man has an average rating from the NRA of an F or a D.

And guess what? The stuff he wants to do are very much the same things you hear from most Dems including Obama. Tighten restrictions on guns. Increase the background checks. Get rid of whatever is left of the gun show loop hole. Increase care for mental illness while finding ways to restrict folks with mental illness from getting guns. Even mentioned the assault weapon ban which I won't get into the word stuff.

So guess what? He isn't that different from most folks unless you are looking for absolute and total banning of firearms which will not happen no matter who you vote for.

I don't -want- a total banning of firearms. I want heavy goddamned restrictions on them. So, cool. Bernie probably wants a lot of the same stuff I want regarding that.

Talking about Vermont, a state which is almost 100% white and that has a population less 10,000 in the state capital, and acting like it's representative of even a large swathe of -hunters- in the US is ridiculous.

Defend your constituents Bernie but don't act like they're a representative of any significant portion of the US population. Because they're not. Especially in comparison to multi-ethnic, multi-cultural cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago.

It's a good job that's not what Sanders is doing then.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular

Sorry, yes, I agree, that was just the part I heard as I was pulling into the parking lot. To address your post about his position, what I want to know is if he supports those things on a national level, or just for places that aren't Vermont.

Regardless of the answer to that, you're right - he's about the same as everybody else on gun control, which isn't enough for me, but doesn't even remotely disqualify my support. I'm actually planning to vote for Bernie in the primary, and look forward to hearing him talk on his other issues when I get a chance to listen to the rest of the interview because I love his stances on most things. Sorry for contributing to a dismissive sounding derail.

• Options
    I twitch at speeches all the time because a policy stance can switch in the space of three sentences, and with the right intonation it might not even be noticed

Key of being informed is learning the ability to catch that.

Informed citizens pay attention. Call when bullshit is there. Problem is we are so dependent on the 30 second sound bite to explain it that if the news industry decides it isn't worth it then most people won't notice anyway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    A firefighter saved the life of a pensioner by going "Not to be rude, but do you usually slur?"

Because no he didn't and it was a stroke

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

drdoom.jpg

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I think trying to do anything with gun laws right now is a huge mistake, because no matter how much the populace might be behind it, the composition of the legislative bodies will dance to the melody of the NRA scorecard in numbers enough to guarantee filibuster. And its not even just republicans - tons of democrats with large rural bases will vote that way also.

If you want meaningful gun reform in this country, the very best thing you could do is stop talking about gun control for a decade or two and do everything in your power to turn out the african american, latino and youth vote such that the composition of Washington completely changes.

THEN maybe we can tackle it. But as it stands it is pissing in the wind. When 90% of Americans and 75% of republicans wanted the most recent bill and it was still stopped due to the senate supermajority shenanigans, it should have been clear that it is wasted energy in our current climate.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Tav wrote: »

who needs context when i can have a 6 second clip of obama saying the n-word?

The moment I saw those headlines first thing I did was go listen to the entire podcast and not read the stories.

Because that way I got to decide and hear what he was talking about in context.

I don't think most people do that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    *still despises podcasts*

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »

It's a good job that's not what Sanders is doing then.
    "Let me add to that, I think that urban America has got to respect what rural America is about, where 99 percent of the people in my state who hunt are law abiding people."

Because rural Texas and rural Vermont are so alike.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Morning all.

Unfortunately, not Friday yet.

• Options
    I'm ambivalent about that Doom picture because it proves how sinister the speech can be, which is good, but the fact it's still a real speech is bad.

• Options

Key of being informed is learning the ability to catch that.

Informed citizens pay attention. Call when bullshit is there. Problem is we are so dependent on the 30 second sound bite to explain it that if the news industry decides it isn't worth it then most people won't notice anyway.

I did learn the ability to catch that: I started ignoring recordings without transcripts

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

?

Don't follow too many, so I'm naturally curious.

• Options
    I'm ambivalent about that Doom picture because it proves how sinister the speech can be, which is good, but the fact it's still a real speech is bad.

it also does a terrible job of defending liberal multiculturalism, which is the point of that particular attack

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

?

I want to think about things, not nod along

that means mental engagement, a podcast just entails waiting for the ideas to flow in via dialup whilst I still have to pay full attention

so, no podcasts for me

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    edited June 2015

BBC In Our Time podcast is never less than interesting. Jane Eyre one week, dark matter the next, and the history of glass the week after. Japan recommends it a lot as well.

Bogart on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    man i'm hoping we don't just talk politics for the next year and a half

even skimming this shit is exhausting and not in the least bit enjoyable

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    "Collecting" is a really weird one (in the context of domestic collections, not museums).

I'm not sure I'm happy with it as a justification for having seriously dangerous stuff in your home. Guns, tanks, even swords etc.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options

this is how I feel about tumblr feminism, politics, and Apple

there's probably a lot of good points but I just don't care

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Introduce something not political then, I'm game.

I will gladly change course if there is something better to talk about.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options

?

I want to think about things, not nod along

that means mental engagement, a podcast just entails waiting for the ideas to flow in via dialup whilst I still have to pay full attention

so, no podcasts for me

Would history podcasts have this problem, or just the more general problem of historical biases and what have you?

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »

this is how I feel about tumblr feminism, politics, and Apple

there's probably a lot of good points but I just don't care

3kb3t8964xvr.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    @ronya
    The conversation airs in full on Thursday, June 25, on Morning Edition (find local stations and broadcast times at npr.org/stations). A full transcript of the interview will be available on Thursday at approximately 10:00 AM (ET) at NPR.org.

Transcript isn't up yet because like I said it aired less than an hour ago on the East Coast. Still has to air across a few more time zones.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Hey [chat] had a question for you any programming folks. My wife's wanting to learn SQL for potential jobs. Can anyone suggest any good websites for someone to start out with?

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
This discussion has been closed.