Options

anime [chat]

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am exhausted by complaints about tumblr feminism.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    syndalis wrote: »
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    man i'm hoping we don't just talk politics for the next year and a half

even skimming this shit is exhausting and not in the least bit enjoyable

this is how I feel about tumblr feminism, politics, and Apple

there's probably a lot of good points but I just don't care

3kb3t8964xvr.jpg

that comment was mainly directed at you

:biggrin:

tyrannus on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    @ronya
    The conversation airs in full on Thursday, June 25, on Morning Edition (find local stations and broadcast times at npr.org/stations). A full transcript of the interview will be available on Thursday at approximately 10:00 AM (ET) at NPR.org.

Transcript isn't up yet because like I said it aired less than an hour ago on the East Coast. Still has to air across a few more time zones.

neat

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2015
    We should just say bullets have a harmful effect when they enter the body so they are drugs now and the government is making possession a federal felony.

spacekungfuman on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am exhausted by complaints about tumblr feminism.

i also do not care what bogart has to say

• Options
    ronya wrote: »
    *still despises podcasts*

?

Don't follow too many, so I'm naturally curious.

I want to think about things, not nod along

that means mental engagement, a podcast just entails waiting for the ideas to flow in via dialup whilst I still have to pay full attention

so, no podcasts for me

Would history podcasts have this problem, or just the more general problem of historical biases and what have you?

podcasts still move along at talking speed regardless of content, surely?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    I'm getting off work at 1 PM and treating myself to pizza and then I'm getting drinks and then recording an episode of my podcast (sorry Ronya), we can talk about that instead.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hey [chat] had a question for you any programming folks. My wife's wanting to learn SQL for potential jobs. Can anyone suggest any good websites for someone to start out with?

How much relational database experience does she have? Did she use Access?

Is she interested in just the language, or the management of MSSQL/MYSQL servers?

If this is a study from home thing and you don't mind shelling out a few bucks lynda.com has some really good coursework on sql for all levels.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    @desc

Have you seen the Broken Lords faction in Endless Legends?

lwuyfzocnw44.png

Bunch of medieval Dr. Doom-like golems.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We should just say bullets have a harmful effect when they enter the body so they are drugs now and the government is making possession a federal felony.

Help I am addicted to bullets.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Schedule I. Clearly no accepted medical use. High potential for abuse, because of that one Grey's anatomy where the guy shot himself for the scars as body art.

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Who loves pizza?!?!?

• Options

You have a case of being an American. I'm sorry, but it's terminal.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

There are clinics you can go to where they shoot you with BBs.

It's not the same but it takes the edge off.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Schedule I. Clearly no accepted medical use. High potential for abuse, because of that one Grey's anatomy where the guy shot himself for the scars as body art.

Where did you go to medical school skfm.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Ugh.

And back to figuring out what arcane science was used to build this semi-functional access database.

Yes lets set up a form inputing trainings.

Wait that training was put in on one employee? Can't have it across multiple employees. Nope! Have an error.

Not sure where it is set to only allow one of each entry on the datasheet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

There's no way that was part of an actual plot of an episode. It's too dumb, I don't want to believe it.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

There are clinics you can go to where they shoot you with BBs.

It's not the same but it takes the edge off.

Unfortunately, the BBs can be worse for you. Much higher risk of losing an eye.

• Options

There's no way that was part of an actual plot of an episode. It's too dumb, I don't want to believe it.

People actually do this though.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Hey [chat] had a question for you any programming folks. My wife's wanting to learn SQL for potential jobs. Can anyone suggest any good websites for someone to start out with?

How much relational database experience does she have? Did she use Access?

Is she interested in just the language, or the management of MSSQL/MYSQL servers?

If this is a study from home thing and you don't mind shelling out a few bucks lynda.com has some really good coursework on sql for all levels.

So far as I'm aware for right now it's just the language as she is just starting out but it would probably be wise to provide her with some server related items as well in case it's something she thinks would be wise to look into. And yeah, gonna be a study from home sort of thing for now.

Figures too as I could have opted in for a Lynda.com sub with my linked-in but decided not to as I didn't have a need for it.

Gonmun on
    desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    "Collecting" is a really weird one (in the context of domestic collections, not museums).

I'm not sure I'm happy with it as a justification for having seriously dangerous stuff in your home. Guns, tanks, even swords etc.

It's just as weird as hunting or sports shooting?

They're all just hobbies.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Over half of all gun shot wounds are attempts at body art. People just have an unfortunate tendency to try and do their art on their faces.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Trace wrote: »
    I think he was talking about differences in culture towards guns between the rural and urban areas. Which are very different.

Also he goes on and lists what he does want to do for gun control. I mean this man has an average rating from the NRA of an F or a D.

And guess what? The stuff he wants to do are very much the same things you hear from most Dems including Obama. Tighten restrictions on guns. Increase the background checks. Get rid of whatever is left of the gun show loop hole. Increase care for mental illness while finding ways to restrict folks with mental illness from getting guns. Even mentioned the assault weapon ban which I won't get into the word stuff.

So guess what? He isn't that different from most folks unless you are looking for absolute and total banning of firearms which will not happen no matter who you vote for.

I don't -want- a total banning of firearms. I want heavy goddamned restrictions on them. So, cool. Bernie probably wants a lot of the same stuff I want regarding that.

Talking about Vermont, a state which is almost 100% white and that has a population less 10,000 in the state capital, and acting like it's representative of even a large swathe of -hunters- in the US is ridiculous.

Defend your constituents Bernie but don't act like they're a representative of any significant portion of the US population. Because they're not. Especially in comparison to multi-ethnic, multi-cultural cities like LA, NYC, or Chicago.

It's a good job that's not what Sanders is doing then.
    "Let me add to that, I think that urban America has got to respect what rural America is about, where 99 percent of the people in my state who hunt are law abiding people."

Because rural Texas and rural Vermont are so alike.

Yes, they most likely are. Rural is rural, broheim.

Nothing rural is a majority opinion in this country anymore, but the reason dudes take guns out into the woods in VT are probably close to the same reason tehy do it in TX or FL.

You're way off base here imo

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    kedinik wrote: »

Where did you go to medical school skfm.

Princeton.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    But ronya, what do your ears do on your commute?!

• Options
    (I hope he gets the joke)

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    "Collecting" is a really weird one (in the context of domestic collections, not museums).

I'm not sure I'm happy with it as a justification for having seriously dangerous stuff in your home. Guns, tanks, even swords etc.

Tungsten cubes

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

I don't want to believe this. I was happier when I thought is was something dumb the grey's anatomy writers invented.

• Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Plot your downfall.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    smoke crack and worship satan

• Options
    MrMister wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    MrMister wrote: »
    @ronya @Apothe0sis

as usual

comments are pretty on point.

Singer is, if nothing else, a consistent shining example of why academic freedom is important.

@MrMister
    It feels strange to want to read and respond positively to comments on the internet.

I went and read the Barnes article as recommended and found no obvious link beyond the very general "disability is discussed".
    I'm v opposed to shit that Tim Hunt said on a scientific basis because as a scientist he should present evidence for his claims other than the experiential. That being said, the attack on philosophers of late for doing philosophy is the dumbest goddamn shit and highlights why tenure is really damn important.

Read a good article by an anonymous author who was identified only as an adjunct professor at a large U.S. university (adjunct means no tenure for those not up on academia employment). He said that all his lectures are now prepared for the current environment where offending a student risks dismissal. This is a thing he agonizes over and loses sleep over because he needs his job. He also said other adjuncts he knows have the same fears.

Some people will find that great, as of course being offended is amongst the worst possible things. But consider that the line between being offended and being challenged is razor thin, varies from student to student, and for some students anything that challenges them is perceived as offensive. It is of course your right to take to the internet and attempt to get a mob going, which can cause not only dismissal of an unprotected professor but unemployability if a large enough stink is made.

And of course this offended student can be anyone. It needn't be a black, gay, or trans student. It can be a religious student (of any religion) a conservative student etc. None of these viewpoints can be safely challenged by an unprotected professor. It only takes one student to be super offended, take to the internet and get a dogpile going, and the university will drop you on your ass because you're an adjunct and they hired you into that position because you are pretty expendable.

So yes, tenure is super fucking important because we are quickly reaching the point where only tenured professors can say things that challenge students.

I think I read the same article. Was it on Vox?

The one I read went to great lengths to pin the blame on oversensitive students, even though it was obvious from the text that the crux of the issue is that adjunct professors are expendable.

It was on Vox: http://www.vox.com/2015/6/3/8706323/college-professor-afraid

I want to point out that "clearly the answer is that someone should spend more on all of us; see, we have no competing interests whatsoever" is facile, bullshit, and not prone to a glorious history of political success in the neoliberal era. Rather, the budget is just cut, and then it's up to the vigorous exercise of faculty democracy and administration maneuvers to distribute the short straw and lend a democratic veneer to the proceedings. At that point the pamphlets admonishing you to stand with the faculty against Scott Walker are a very poor sort of severance pay.

I actually think Singer is pretty safe; his political credentials are too well-entrenched, he has too many of the wrong pre-existing enemies (pro-lifers), and he's not an attractive target for opportunists. There's nothing you can say about purging disabled infants that can possibly be said louder than the conservative pro-lifer can say it, and if you ally with them then it is your respectability that is on thin ice. Barnes may have the "clearly our mutual enemy is Privilege; see, we have no competing interests whatsoever" treatment in her future.

@ronya @Apothe0sis to be clear, I don't think Singer is in any danger. He's too famous, important, and well-respected. And, additionally, very few philosophers aren't committed in some way to academic freedom--it's a tiny minority within his actual field that would censor him even given they think he's wrong (and, as noted, there is a significant minority that greatly admire him as right...). So the worst thing that happens to him is occasionally being disinvited to talks.

What it illustrates is not so much the danger of censorship happening (since it won't, here), but rather why it would be bad if it did--among other things, how stupid censorship can be. I thought this comment put it nicely:
    Just a quick personal reflection. I have used Singer *Practical ethics* for more than two decades now. One reason I use it is that students respond so positively to it. Students often come into the class already in anti-Singer mode. (I even had one student complain–before taking the class–that the book was on the syllabus. They suggested I balance it with a book by Ann Coulter… I didn’t do that.)

Once they immerse themselves in the actual arguments, the students are (a) impressed with Singer’s intellectual fairness, and (b) nonplussed or even angry at the brainless criticism that Singer is subjected to on a regular basis.

It is a wonderful object lesson in the joys and pitfalls of doing philosophy.

Singer's Practical Ethics also clinically discusses children with disabilities whose life "can be reasonably judged not to be worth living", so it is what Barnes has placed in her sights

I think it's important to keep in mind the magnitude of disagreement, and that the pro-censorship philosophers may not gauge themselves as anti-academic-freedom

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    y2jake215 wrote: »

Tungsten cubes

The modern menace

• Options
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    My stupid back apparently might have a disc problem

I am literally never going to be able to exercise ever again

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options

I don't want to believe this. I was happier when I thought is was something dumb the grey's anatomy writers invented.

the VAST majority of people who are into this particular thing just do a blend of tattoos and branding to fake a bullet wound.

There have been more than a few cases though of someone shooting themselves (or getting someone to shoot them) in order to look tough.

It's fucking madness. do not google.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Plot your downfall.

I ain't never been afraid of no ears!

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    The same rules for safe storage applies to a collection as with hunting and sports shooting and unlike those two, are way more likely to be followed since you wouldn't be taking them out and lugging them around nearly as much

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Ugh.

And back to figuring out what arcane science was used to build this semi-functional access database.

Yes lets set up a form inputing trainings.

Wait that training was put in on one employee? Can't have it across multiple employees. Nope! Have an error.

Not sure where it is set to only allow one of each entry on the datasheet.

Access is impressive in it's own way.

Some of the stuff I've seen people make - and been asked to use or modify - has been such a kludge of garbage that I can't believe it actually functions for something. This XKCD really sums up the thought process...

code_quality.png

• Options
    The only difference between rural Texas and rural Vermont is the rates of meth and marijuana use have been exchanged.

• Options
    The only difference between rural Texas and rural Vermont is the rates of meth and marijuana use have been exchanged.

tbf, huge difference.

SW-4158-3990-6116
This discussion has been closed.