As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Bad Jokes]

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Trees.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Karrde1842 wrote: »
    You ash me, this has gone too far.

You lot keep dropping these terrible puns and I'll be forced to get my boomstick and warm up the chainsaw...

• Options
    Karrde1842Karrde1842 Registered User regular

You lot keep dropping these terrible puns and I'll be forced to get my boomstick and warm up the chainsaw...

Groovy

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular

Your bark is worse than your bite

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I bet someone replying to this pun thread has done so from a... dell.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    October 1

It's hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial cost and blamed it on the cost of living.

• Options
    WordLustWordLust Fort Wayne, INRegistered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    I bet someone replying to this pun thread has done so from a... dell.

No I ent.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    October 1

It's hard to understand how a cemetery raised its burial cost and blamed it on the cost of living.

It's all that money inflating and floating into the upper atmosphere.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    October 1

That's almost good. It's like a line Demetri Martin came up with that didn't quite make the cut to be included in his routine.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So yesterday my fiancee went to pick up her dress from alterations. Apparently while they were there her and the maid of honor had a little "test run" to make sure they could get her into the dress quickly and easily. She said it would definitely not be a problem, maybe 5 minutes, tops.

When presented with this information, without even thinking, I responded thusly:
    So I guess you guys had a little dress rehearsal?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So yesterday my fiancee went to pick up her dress from alterations. Apparently while they were there her and the maid of honor had a little "test run" to make sure they could get her into the dress quickly and easily. She said it would definitely not be a problem, maybe 5 minutes, tops.

When presented with this information, without even thinking, I responded thusly:

And she's still marrying you?

• Options

But isn't that kind of a pretty literal use of the term 'dress rehearsal' though?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    WordLust wrote: »

But isn't that kind of a pretty literal use of the term 'dress rehearsal' though?

Typically you're not rehearsing the ability to put on the actual costumes, you're rehearsing for a show or something in them

• Options

Typically you're not rehearsing the ability to put on the actual costumes, you're rehearsing for a show or something in them

Yeah, I know. Dress rehearsal refers to a full run-through of the play (or wedding) with all parties in full dress without stop or interruption, etc. But the word "dress" in "dress rehearsal" does refer to the exact thing she was doing, i.e. getting into costume.

I took a quick poll of nearby friends whether it constitutes an actual pun and the verdict is 2 say no and 5 say yes, so I'll let him have it. ;-)

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I mean

Depending on the show, part of that can definitely be about the ability to quickly change costumes

I've had numerous shows in which I have to change costumes/makeup in less than five minutes

And that dress rehearsal is real damn important there

• Options
    Are jokes art

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular

thatsthejoke.jpg

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    The Geek wrote: »

thatsthejoke.jpg

Nah, I don't think it was.

I mean, I guess it depends on how you look at it. On one hand "dress rehearsal" is a discrete lexical unit (i.e. is more than the sum of its parts) that means a particular thing. So the joke is that the pun splits it into its constituent words, then changes the meaning of one of them so that it doesn't mean so much "dress", i.e. "to put on clothes", but instead means THE dress, i.e. the bridal dress.

But another way of looking at it is that, bridal dress or not, she was just putting on clothes, which is what "to dress" refers to, so looking at it in just THAT way makes it seem like either not a pun or a very weak one.

It would be like if one person walked into a practice for a cooking contest and said, "I guess this is a cook rehearsal." And then another person walked into a room where a bunch of chefs were trying on their chef hats and said, "I guess this is a cook rehearsal."

Like, there is a level where it's a pun and a level where it is just describing the literal thing that is happening.

*explaining jokes*
    *analyzing jokes*
    *popular at parties*

WordLust on
  • Options
    Does it change anything if I emphasized dress?

Because I did emphasize dress.

I hope that means we'll need another couple of pages to completely analyze this situation.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Are jokes art

Only puns.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Does it change anything if I emphasized dress?

Because I did emphasize dress.

I hope that means we'll need another couple of pages to completely analyze this situation.

9541a57f3cd9636fcbb56c286102835a.jpg

WordLust on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Are jokes art

Only puns.

But even then, only semantically.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Did it make you chuckle, smile, or laugh?

Then it's a joke, and who cares.

• Options
    My research team is building a joke that can make a person chuckle, smile, AND laugh.

STAND BACK! I'M DOING JOKE SCIENCE!

• Options
    edited October 2015
    My research team is building a joke that can make a person chuckle, smile, AND laugh.

"Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    October 2

No one is listening until you make a mistake.

• Options
    October 2

The calendar writer's bitterness about his career choice is really starting to take its toll.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    October 2

Apt statement. I'd wager none of us would ever have paid a lick of attention to anything the calendar writer wrote until he made this calendar.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

"Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!"

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! YOU MONSTER!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?! YOU MONSTER!

Just injected a little more chaos into the world.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015

https://youtu.be/U_eZmEiyTo0?t=4m

WordLust on
  • Options

This isn't a joke, per se, but it makes me laugh

When I took German in High School, we learned the ABC's

And the final line to the German ABCs, rather than "Now I know my ABCs, next time won't you sing with me?" was "Kann nicht lernen das ABC?"

Which, roughly translated to English, means: "Can't you learn the ABCs?"

It's so German!

• Options
    edited October 2015

And the final line to the German ABCs, rather than "Now I know my ABCs, next time won't you sing with me?" was "Kann nicht lernen das ABC?"

It's so German!

Which is an unusual deviation from Germany's usual flavor of children's entertainment, which tends to include such themes as:

--Children being mauled/eaten by terrible beasts
    --Children being dismembered or having appendages chopped off
    --Children being ground into powder, baked into bread, and then fed to ducks
    --AND MORE

To be a truly German children's song, I feel it should have to end with something like, "Now I learned my ABC's, you should too if you don't want to be sawed in half and fed to a bear."

WordLust on
  • Options

It's so German!

Which is an unusual deviation from Germany's usual flavor of children's entertainment, which tends to include such themes as:

--Children being mauled/eaten by terrible beasts
    --Children being dismembered or having appendages chopped off
    --Children being ground into powder, baked into bread, and then fed to ducks
    --AND MORE

To be a truly German children's song, I feel it should have to end with something like, "Now I learned my ABC's, you should too if you don't want to be sawed in half and fed to a bear."

I didn't go there because I didn't want to Krampus their style.

• Options
  • Options

Now that gave me the pun groans. A sure sign of pun success.

• Options

Now that gave me the pun groans. A sure sign of pun success.

I never groan at puns. I'm too fond of pun-curation to groan at puns of any stripe, punctuation included.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    October 3

I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.

• Options
    KaplarKaplar On Google MapsRegistered User regular
    October 3

Oct 4 and on are just blank pages.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    October 3

SvXhCIu.jpg

I...I cant be sure anymore...

This discussion has been closed.