Options

House Speaker John Boehner Is Resigning. Paul Ryan Elected.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    So you'd need 60 Republicans to vote present for Speaker Pelosi to happen.

I honestly don't think it's the single craziest possibility at this point.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Present isn't enough. They have to not vote, leave the building and not be there. If they are present then pelosi does not have a majority of voting members, only a plurality.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Present isn't enough. They have to not vote, leave the building and not be there. If they are present then pelosi does not have a majority of voting members, only a plurality.

Is this different from a normal floor vote? Present isn't abstain and they do not contribute to the total number of voting members present. The D's did this awhile ago on the hard line GOP budget and made them hustle to make sure it didn't pass.

Now traditionally I don't think people typically don't vote "present" for speaker because it's the very first party line vote and showing a lack of loyalty there would torpedo your committee assignments.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    I dont get worked up about politics usually.

But the republicans being so scared of this small fraction of their party to the point they pass on the Speakership of the House of the United States of America because of the madness scrawled on that questionnaire...

It basically like Democracy was just notified the cancer has spread and is not operable.

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    You know, any GOPers willing to cross lines to get things done would have massive influence on legislation.

No-Quarter on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    For the couple months they'd have left in office.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    You know, any GOPers willing to cross lines to get things done would have massive influence on legislation.

Up until they get tossed out for being RINOs and if there is one constant on both sides of american political spectrum its cowardice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AlexandierAlexandier Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Up until they get tossed out for being RINOs and if there is one constant on both sides of american political spectrum its cowardice.

And thats the biggest Joke.

Their base craves the madmen and actually turn out to vote in districts drawn so independent or democrat candidates have the longest of shots of coming close. It is such a farce, but people just cheer for their side even if they are burning the world down piece by piece.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Alexandier wrote: »

And thats the biggest Joke.

Their base craves the madmen and actually turn out to vote in districts drawn so independent or democrat candidates have the longest of shots of coming close. It is such a farce, but people just cheer for their side even if they are burning the world down piece by piece.

Its kind of funny in a way that gerrymandering fucked them ultimately. Well it would be if america wasn't about to get fucked in response.

Basically in the past they could make the hard votes and snag independent votes to shore up lost GOP votes, but since they are all in hard right districts that's not a viable election strat, so if they aren't the hardest R they lose the seat to someone who will be worse.

They fucked themselves and ultimately us trying to make sure they are safe.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    It's what i said previously. Gerrymandering makes them answerable only to the extremists, Citizens United means the party has no control over the flow of funding to them, and no more earmarks means there's no way for leadership to buy them off.

The GOP got what they wanted in three cases and it causes everything to go to shit.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    "You arrogant ass... you've killed us."

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    "You arrogant ass... you've killed us."

They're more aiming for a Red November, but the general idea is right.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    This is a disaster, for sure.

Too bad Pelosi is so poisonous that no moderate would believe she was operating in good faith to "get things done" , because this is sort of a unique opportunity for Boehner and the moderates to accomplish some cool shit. They could fix Obamacare!

• Options
    AbbalahAbbalah Registered User regular
    Yes, the situation surrounding the speakership makes it clear that Nancy Pelosi is an irredeemably toxic influence on the US congress.

That is a reasonable conclusion to draw.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    You mean, by expanding and completing it according to the original plan (single-payer, etc), rather than leaving us stuck with the current half-finished compromise?

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    spool32 wrote: »

Too bad Pelosi is so poisonous that no moderate would believe she was operating in good faith to "get things done" , because this is sort of a unique opportunity for Boehner and the moderates to accomplish some cool shit. They could fix Obamacare!

What moderates? Moderate democrats would still vote for her, and moderate Repbulicans votes don't matter, since they're apparently completely at the whims of the Freedom Caucus.

Javen on
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular

Any attempts to do anything other than a full repeal will very likely see them primaried from the right. Best play for the non-crazy right is to leave Obamacare alone until the loonies have lost their influence.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain the political precedence or process for someone unelected and outside the House of Representatives becoming speaker? This has been bandied about in the thread, and I've been unable to find anything online that even remotely outlines this as an actual, legal possibility. I'm not calling it wrong, I just don't know how that even works.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    It's legal, but unprecedented by my understanding. Because normally a terminal brain disease hasn't taken over one of our political parties.

Especially one the media refuses to acknowledge. They're been trying to draw equivalency between this and the left getting Clinton to change her position on the TPP.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    DunderDunder Registered User regular
    Eh I doubt the GOP will end up voting in an "outside" speaker.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

I'm sure most of the house dems, Pelosi included, would be more than happy to discuss sensible, moderate reforms on the ACA and immigration.

The problem, at least from the Democrat's viewpoint, is that most Republicans who are also on board with this ("on board" meaning not wanting to simply burn it all down on vague promises to replace it with something else at some point in the future") are either unable to articulate said reforms, or are being politely ignored by their peers because the Teapers think their idea is "too liberal."

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Javen wrote: »

What moderates? Moderate democrats would still vote for her, and moderate Repbulicans votes don't matter, since they're apparently completely at the whims of the Freedom Caucus.

Moderate Republican politicians are an endangered species, the Tea Party have seen to that. And even when they get into office they have to take care not to anger the crazy fringe so they're more inclined to not govern moderately lest they be primaried for being RINO's. What's amazing is that the GOP did this to themselves, and now can't stop the train from driving off the cliff.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    this is officially more interesting than the primary

because for as much as we talk about the declining relevance and unsustainability of the current GOP, this is the first time I've seen anything that actually looks like the party's baggage hurting them as much as it's hurting the country.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    What's really funny about this mess is that, near as I can tell anyway, the entire caucus is going to come crawling back to Boehner begging him to stay on. Because they've got no one viable left to vote into the position.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    What's really funny about this mess is that, near as I can tell anyway, the entire caucus is going to come crawling back to Boehner begging him to stay on. Because they've got no one viable left to vote into the position.

And somewhere in Chicago, Eric Holder is laughing his ass off.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular

Well, no one sane.

Paul Ryan might be able to end the circus, but he's smart enough to say no, repeatedly and emphatically.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »

Well, no one sane.

Paul Ryan might be able to end the circus, but he's smart enough to say no, repeatedly and emphatically.

"...so let me get this straight - you want me to stick my head in the lion's mouth?"

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

They always had that option. It just meant relying on Democratic votes. Which is why it never happened. Nothing has changed that reality, the only possible change is in the political calculus once the 'Freedom caucus' takes their 40 votes and goes home. Effectively making the GOP a minority government.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    I hadn't seen this posted here before, and it made me laugh

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    I wonder how many House Republicans would be willing to just switch parties at this point.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    They should find some way to make a Dem speaker so they have someone to be the villain and not jeopardize all of their careers.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

God I wish we still had earmarks

a few dozen infrastructure projects and museums in exchange for a functional legislature, because shit flinging from extremists doesn't beat bringing bacon back to your district

but they can't do that anymore, so all they can do is push the national party line

override367 on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Yea, I'll be honest, I'd never really realized how much of our functional government was apparently based on earmarks.

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    I wonder how many House Republicans would be willing to just switch parties at this point.

Who would (re)elect them? All those districts have been gerrymandered to hell, and besides, Dems don't vote in mid-terms. :P
    Scooter wrote: »
    Yea, I'll be honest, I'd never really realized how much of our functional government was apparently based on earmarks.

Everyone says pork is bad for (you/the government), but we still looooooove our bacon.

(And yeah, it turns out that to do horse-trading, you actually have to have something to trade.)

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular

And somewhere in Chicago, Eric Holder is laughing his ass off.

Actually he's still in DC, some of my friends work at his law firm.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

I wouldn't put too much weight on that. The people who wrote up that list of demands wouldn't be interested in a functional government regardless.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

I wouldn't put too much weight on that. The people who wrote up that list of demands wouldn't be interested in a functional government regardless.

True. I think the meaning is that it's harder to get the reasonable people to work across the aisle when you can't cut a deal with them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »

True. I think the meaning is that it's harder to get the reasonable people to work across the aisle when you can't cut a deal with them.

Yeah, right now they're beholden to the crazies who will primary them at the drop of a hat. When we had earmarks the incumbent could at least point to the bacon he brought home to his district to moderate the frothy populist rage. Now it's just a competition for how much of an asshole you can be.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I can't imagine how we could bring back earmarks though. Can you imagine the invective that would hurled at someone who proposed bring back pork and bacon?

• Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    What would happen if nobody could settle on a candidate and Boehner didn't feel like staying on anymore? No Speaker? I mean I realize I guess that this is a crazy thing that couldn't happen, but we're here already.