Options

Stephen [Chat]iverse

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    also i just got home and it's the first time i've ever seen a guest at my house. there's a red beetle parked outside and someone is on the couch with my roommate watching some terrible looking british period show or movie idk

*snakes spycam thru floorboards*

• Options
    is radiohead embarrassing to like

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

no, just fun to hate on.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

screen-shot-2013-02-26-at-6-11-39-pm.png

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Dude or lady chu

How much sex is your roomie going for

• Options
    Chu is a boy.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Happy birthday Mr. Chu!

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    redx wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Quickly scanning the UDHR, these seem relevant to the discussion:

Article 3

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 6

Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 10

Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

Article 12 is fascinating, btw:

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15

1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
    (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

But nothing specific with regards to self-defense. Though I believe that may be covered in the (many) articles referencing the right to fair trial.

I'm thinking the right to defend ones life, family, and property, not trial rights and so forth.

Are those enshrined in our constitution somewhere, or any similar document you can think of?

well, the Declaration declares (heh) that individuals have an unalienable right to life and liberty, and the Constitution's preamble declares that the document's intention is in part to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves". That document includes the 2nd amendment, which of course provides the freedom from government infringement on the right to possess & carry a weapon. Likewise the 5th amendment respects property rights by denying the government the ability to seize it without due process.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Dude or lady chu

How much sex is your roomie going for

idk, it was dark and i wasn't trying to creep

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

yes

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Chu is a boy.

Don't be so gender-prescriptivist, redx!

Chu can tell us how he they identify.

>_>

• Options
    edited November 2015
    so my little brother (who's been a juggalo forever) must have been linked the urban dictionary definition of juggalo. he had this to say on his facebook wall:

Urban dictionary is a piece of shit website I don't fucking care what ANYONE thinks bout me or the music I listen to if anyone wanna talk bout shitty music let's turn our heads to da fucking idiotic assholes we call rappers all u dumb ass n****s crackers etc. All u talk bout is fucking bitchez doing drugs n killing n****s like GET A FUCKING LIFE N FACE REALITY ICP talks bout killings bigots A.K.A RACISTS n tlks about killing SATAN LUCIFER A.K.A THE DEVIL they worship God so if u talk shit on ICP den u tlikn shit on God n den u can ALL go to hell FOH Lil stupid ass dickheads IMMA BE DOWN WITH THE CLOWN TILL IM DEAD IN THE GROUND WHOOP WHOOP MMFWCL

Organichu on
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    if they're driving a red beetle i hope its a girl

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    (asterisks added to remain unbanned)

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Bleric draw this cat

rvOnrmMl.jpg

(is my cat)

(he's a jerk)

Oh brilliant
  • Options

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9

Article 10

Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15

(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

But nothing specific with regards to self-defense. Though I believe that may be covered in the (many) articles referencing the right to fair trial.

I'm thinking the right to defend ones life, family, and property, not trial rights and so forth.

Are those enshrined in our constitution somewhere, or any similar document you can think of?

well, the Declaration declares (heh) that individuals have an unalienable right to life and liberty, and the Constitution's preamble declares that the document's intention is in part to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves". That document includes the 2nd, which of course provides the freedom from government infringement on the right to possess & carry a weapon. Likewise the 5th amendment respects property rights by denying the government the ability to seize it without due process.

Aside from the protections of the second, those seem to exist UDHR. Both seem to lack an explicit right to defend the rights using force.

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    More angry rants need to end with "WHOOP WHOOP"

• Options
    Tav wrote: »

yes

huh, really?

i didn't really listen to anything after they started putting pay-what-you-want stuff on the internet, but i still remember electioneering, idioteque, no surprises etc fondly

• Options

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

Article 9

Article 10

Article 13

Article 15

Article 25

well, the Declaration declares (heh) that individuals have an unalienable right to life and liberty, and the Constitution's preamble declares that the document's intention is in part to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves". That document includes the 2nd, which of course provides the freedom from government infringement on the right to possess & carry a weapon. Likewise the 5th amendment respects property rights by denying the government the ability to seize it without due process.

Well in that case, I'd say that:

Article 3

and

Article 17

(1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
    (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

in the UDHR cover it with equivalent terminology.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    chu I am amazed you haven't somehow died from vicarious shame at this point

• Options
    aaaan the Witness Me reaction finds its ultimate use

• Options
    for the neophytes in the room, MMFWCL = much motherfucking wicked clown love

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    aaaan the Witness Me reaction finds its ultimate use
    ?

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    Chu how did you become the non-fuckup of all your siblings?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
  • Options

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

Article 9

Article 10

Article 13

Article 15

Article 25

Aside from the protections of the second, those seem to exist UDHR. Both seem to lack an explicit right to defend the rights using force.

I don't think an explicit right to use force is necessary - how else would you defend the right to your own life?

It seems that the UDHR doesn't even include an implied right to self defense, and certainly doesn't include a right to possess a weapon for that (or any other) purpose.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I decided to procrastinate today and play Fallout 4 finally

I played for four hours and I didn't realize it but I'm not sure it was fun? But that dog is cute tho

And even though I knew what to expect the opening 20mins still made me really upset

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    The true zen of music taste is when people think you should be embarrassed by your music, but instead you are embarrassed by everyone else's.

• Options

?

your roommate is a jugaloo?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    simonwolf wrote: »
    I mean, can you blame the guy

Who wants a kid that listens to Radiohead

radiohead is great!

or well, ok, radiohead is stupid

but radiohead's music is great!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    But I'm also like "I should turn fallout back on"

I don't understand

the game isn't very compelling and the controls suck but also I want to go rebuild sanctuary and then punch people while wearing power armor

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Damn, I totally should've brought a book with me. Or my Chinese study book.

工事中
  • Options

?

my little brother

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    COMPLIMENTS

AA

THANK YOU

n0i2bkftzry1.gif

Too cute. You monster.

PLA on
  • Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

I played for four hours and I didn't realize it but I'm not sure it was fun? But that dog is cute tho

And even though I knew what to expect the opening 20mins still made me really upset

We got Fallout 4 on Thursday, so my girlfriend popped it in to play.

1.5 hours later, she finished creating her character.

工事中
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular

?

my little brother

your little brother is your roommate?

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    That reminds me of this

http://mimesislaw.com/fault-lines/fucking-first-amendment-standing-how-does-it-work/3274
    A group of Juggalos sued, and last week the United States Court of Appeals said that they did, in fact, have standing to challenge being labeled as a gang.

The Plaintiff-Juggalos, as the Sixth Circuit deliciously calls them, lost in the trial court in a manner that illustrates the difficulty of fighting government-imposed labels.

• Options

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

Article 9

Article 10

Article 13

Article 15

Article 25

Well in that case, I'd say that:

Article 3

and

Article 17

(1) Everyone has the right to own property alone as well as in association with others.
    (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his property.

in the UDHR cover it with equivalent terminology.

I don't think Article 3 can be understood in that way - security of person reads to me like the right to government protection. But you could be right! Security of person might include the right to posses the means by which that security is guaranteed.

My current understanding is that it does not, though, and I think the general theme of the UDHR being a document of positive rights lends credence to that - there's still a fundamental difference between the freedom from government intrusion upon life and liberty, and the positive right to life and liberty - the right to be free from government restriction on a thing is not the same as the right to be given or guaranteed a thing by that government.

• Options
    Cokebotle wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

We got Fallout 4 on Thursday, so my girlfriend popped it in to play.

1.5 hours later, she finished creating her character.

wife spent that much time creating herself and I in near perfect likeness

needless to say the intro for her was....harrowing

and then I went and did the same thing because I'm BIG STRONG MANZ and then was still emotionally messed up even though I was expecting it

• Options
    edited November 2015
    a

BeNarwhal on
This discussion has been closed.