As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stephen [Chat]iverse

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i wonder how long facebook is going to be extra terrible post Paris attacks.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I mostly just wanted to post that for the phrase "plaintiff-juggalos"

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    i'd fucking love to go to the gathering

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I love listening to Radiohead

As such, I'd fight you haters but I know that everything is transient and will cease to exist soon enough so

watevs

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    i wonder how long facebook is going to be extra terrible post Paris attacks.

until we get war fatigue

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    hey tav you're really Irish right

my buddy is apparently super into hurling and started a hurling club at her university. today they trounced my school in an intramural competition

but I guess also her brother is a professional player in Ireland?

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    redx wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Quickly scanning the UDHR, these seem relevant to the discussion:

Article 3

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.

Article 6

Everyone has the right to recognition everywhere as a person before the law.

Article 7

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary arrest, detention or exile.

Article 10

Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

Article 12 is fascinating, btw:

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15

1) Everyone has the right to a nationality.
    (2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

But nothing specific with regards to self-defense. Though I believe that may be covered in the (many) articles referencing the right to fair trial.

I'm thinking the right to defend ones life, family, and property, not trial rights and so forth.

Are those enshrined in our constitution somewhere, or any similar document you can think of?

well, the Declaration declares (heh) that individuals have an unalienable right to life and liberty, and the Constitution's preamble declares that the document's intention is in part to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves". That document includes the 2nd, which of course provides the freedom from government infringement on the right to possess & carry a weapon. Likewise the 5th amendment respects property rights by denying the government the ability to seize it without due process.

Aside from the protections of the second, those seem to exist UDHR. Both seem to lack an explicit right to defend the rights using force.

I don't think an explicit right to use force is necessary - how else would you defend the right to your own life?

It seems that the UDHR doesn't even include an implied right to self defense, and certainly doesn't include a right to possess a weapon for that (or any other) purpose.

The right to rebel against a tyrannical government and the right for individuals to rebel against what they consider tyranny are pretty clearly distinct things in enlightenment thinking. Whiskey Rebellion, QED.

Also the 2nd amendment inherently includes the idea of some sort of infringement on possessing weapons, except for the NRA definition which pretends that "a well regulated militia" is just a big ol' typo that can be ignored. And 5th amendment's property rights are pretty specific in scope.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Butts

WHOOP WHOOP

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    Arch wrote: »

my buddy is apparently super into hurling and started a hurling club at her university. today they trounced my school in an intramural competition

hurling, more than a term for... like, road bowling? or chucking rocks or something? the fuck?(edit Field hockey, basically)... in the united states is a term for throwing up after drinking too much.

which makes this hilarious.

redx on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    Tav wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    is radiohead embarrassing to like

yes

huh, really?

i didn't really listen to anything after they started putting pay-what-you-want stuff on the internet, but i still remember electioneering, idioteque, no surprises etc fondly

chu they're perfectly fine to like

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

female hurling is called "camogie"

also it's an amateur sport

i dislike it for a lot of reasons (none of which are related to the sport itself) but it's impressive as hell to watch

it makes lacrosse look even more like shit

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

All are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to equal protection of the law. All are entitled to equal protection against any discrimination in violation of this Declaration and against any incitement to such discrimination.

Article 9

Article 10

Everyone is entitled in full equality to a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal, in the determination of his rights and obligations and of any criminal charge against him.

No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks.

Article 13

(1) Everyone has the right to freedom of movement and residence within the borders of each state.
    (2) Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country.

Article 15

(2) No one shall be arbitrarily deprived of his nationality nor denied the right to change his nationality.

Article 25

(1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

But nothing specific with regards to self-defense. Though I believe that may be covered in the (many) articles referencing the right to fair trial.

I'm thinking the right to defend ones life, family, and property, not trial rights and so forth.

Are those enshrined in our constitution somewhere, or any similar document you can think of?

well, the Declaration declares (heh) that individuals have an unalienable right to life and liberty, and the Constitution's preamble declares that the document's intention is in part to "secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves". That document includes the 2nd, which of course provides the freedom from government infringement on the right to possess & carry a weapon. Likewise the 5th amendment respects property rights by denying the government the ability to seize it without due process.

Aside from the protections of the second, those seem to exist UDHR. Both seem to lack an explicit right to defend the rights using force.

I don't think an explicit right to use force is necessary - how else would you defend the right to your own life?

It seems that the UDHR doesn't even include an implied right to self defense, and certainly doesn't include a right to possess a weapon for that (or any other) purpose.

The right to rebel against a tyrannical government and the right for individuals to rebel against what they consider tyranny are pretty clearly distinct things in enlightenment thinking. Whiskey Rebellion, QED.

Also the 2nd amendment inherently includes the idea of some sort of infringement on possessing weapons, except for the NRA definition which pretends that "a well regulated militia" is just a big ol' typo that can be ignored. And 5th amendment's property rights are pretty specific in scope.

I mentioned both of those further up the quote tree! :)

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Watching Crash Bandicoot-gameplay, I feel that I still have the musclememory and feedback-expectations from it. I'll never be clean.

• Options
    Gathering of the Juggalos 2014 - Miss Juggalette pageant
    0:00 - 1:09:06

hmmmmmmmm

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    Bleric draw this cat

rvOnrmMl.jpg

(is my cat)

(he's a jerk)

@Dark Raven X

e9b38a20-d267-47a3-b285-805831c3a54f.jpg

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    Gathering of the Juggalos 2014 - Miss Juggalette pageant
    0:00 - 1:09:06

hmmmmmmmm

Oh man

I love a parade

• Options

i dislike it for a lot of reasons (none of which are related to the sport itself) but it's impressive as hell to watch

I guess US hurling is cooed which is interesting and kind of awesome

it is pretty rad as fuck to watch.

and yeah who the fuck cares about lacross is you can watch it

• Options

Hurling is basically organized brawling with sticks, and a small rock as the excuse for the fight.

• Options
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Article 3

Article 6

Article 7

Article 9

Article 10

Article 13

Article 15

Article 25

I mentioned both of those further up the quote tree! :)

I deleted my last post because I eventually saw your response and thought "Oh never mind I see what he's saying here and I think in the end we can both agree that most "universal" documents tend to occasionally suffer from being vague to the point of uselessness."

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Guys, I have the next two days off.

I'm going to Fallout so hard. I might watch the Seahawks tomorrow but who knows, I might also stock my house with frozen pizza and not be seen until...

Oh yeah that's right my roommate is inviting a bunch of people over for a game night deal...

Fuck, I guess they'll see me Monday night then. But I reserve the right to be in a bathrobe the whole time.

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    PLA wrote: »
    Watching Crash Bandicoot-gameplay, I feel that I still have the musclememory and feedback-expectations from it. I'll never be clean.

I played 1 and 2 I think on psx. fun games.

golden eraaaaaaaaaaa

(they're all golden eras)

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options

hurling, more than a term for... like, road bowling? or chucking rocks or something? the fuck?(edit Field hockey, basically)... in the united states is a term for throwing up after drinking too much.

Imagine lacrosse played as a contact sport

Kind of like ice hockey on grass

It's mental

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @Shivahn

There is another major difference between AQ and ISIL. AQ generally is aiming to take lawless areas and turn them into small nation states that can be merged later. So they tend to ally with various groups conducting insurgencies in an area. Various groups affiliated with AQ hold territory, such as JaN in Syria. With AQ having an eye to the future in terms of being the common force to unite these small emirates. ISIL has the goal of building their own nation state, with the long term goal of military conquest. This tends to lead AQ to a certain amount of plays well with others that ISIL doesn't have. But it also puts ISIL in a more vulnerable position. Land can more easily be taken away from ISIL and it reflects on them. If an AQ ally fails, it doesn't really set back AQ very much.

• Options

it being cooed is weird to me because it is physical as fuck

like, there are literally no cooed teams here the same way there's no cooed full contact rugby

• Options

it being cooed is weird to me because it is physical as fuck

like, there are literally no cooed teams here the same way there's no cooed full contact rugby

oh yeah people were getting rekt at the tourney today it was rad as hell

• Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    Oh shit.

@Blameless Cleric you do animes on demand?

User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Really regretting not getting my photo with the giant man sized pip boy today.

• Options
    edited November 2015
    BC I may hire you as the concept artist for the vaporware totally real Havelock3.0!!

Congratulations!!

Havelock2.0 on
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    japan wrote: »

It's mental

this was actually my understanding of men's field hockey. The club dealie is just differently shaped.

Like, this thing on grass with guys batting around a little ball with sticks has been a fairly violent sport for... it's like aztec? originally, iirc.

redx on
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Shivahn

There is another major difference between AQ and ISIL. AQ generally is aiming to take lawless areas and turn them into small nation states that can be merged later. So they tend to ally with various groups conducting insurgencies in an area. Various groups affiliated with AQ hold territory, such as JaN in Syria. With AQ having an eye to the future in terms of being the common force to unite these small emirates. ISIL has the goal of building their own nation state, with the long term goal of military conquest. This tends to lead AQ to a certain amount of plays well with others that ISIL doesn't have. But it also puts ISIL in a more vulnerable position. Land can more easily be taken away from ISIL and it reflects on them. If an AQ ally fails, it doesn't really set back AQ very much.

I did not know that about AQ!

The ISIL stuff makes sense. The article I read talked a bit about some of the ways the religious nature of ISIL can be exploited - one of them is that it's basically forbidden for them to make actual treaties or set borders

• Options
    Lacrosse was my idea of contact-sport-lacrosse.

Are you other countries playing it wrong?

Probably, I bet.

• Options
    i tried to find a good hurling video but every single one has awful music superimposed over it

it is actually kind of impressive how consistently awful it is

• Options

Probably, I bet.

ehhh

lacrosse has nets on the end of their sticks. Hurling just has a slightly flatter bit of stick.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Shivahn

I did not know that about AQ!

The ISIL stuff makes sense. The article I read talked a bit about some of the ways the religious nature of ISIL can be exploited - one of them is that it's basically forbidden for them to make actual treaties or set borders

Yeah, so here is the thing. I wouldn't count on either of those things. I'll point out that hard core Christian fundies ignore the very simple "Thou shall not kill" all of the time. And from a practical perspective, they engage in informal exchanges with other groups. The one that comes to mind is that they sell oil to the SAA constantly, and exchange other services.

• Options
    i tried to find a good hurling video but every single one has awful music superimposed over it

it is actually kind of impressive how consistently awful it is

the reason I ended up moving to Galway was that there were no rooms in Dublin for the weekend because of a Galway v Dublin hurling match.

I had no idea wtf they were talking about but I did know that half of Galway had moved east so it was easy to get lodging there.

• Options

Probably, I bet.

ehhh

lacrosse has nets on the end of their sticks. Hurling just has a slightly flatter bit of stick.

Ahh, ok

That's a reasonable enough distinction

It is sounding more like field hockey now :P

• Options
    japan wrote: »

It's mental

this was actually my understanding of men's field hockey. The club dealie is just differently shaped.

Like, this thing on grass with guys batting around a little ball with sticks has been a fairly violent sport for... it's like aztec? originally, iirc.

Field hockey is at least notionally non-contact, plus you can't play the ball in the air as in hurling/shinty, or handle the ball as in hurling.

• Options

Probably, I bet.

ehhh

Ahh, ok

That's a reasonable enough distinction

It is sounding more like field hockey now :P

the ball is up in the air tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFfX_SF9ark

This discussion has been closed.