Options

Fallout 4. Explore the Commonwealth Wasteland with Roachie!

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Skwigelf wrote: »
    Concerning XP Gains:

Apparently the max XP bonus you can get is if you have INT 15(requiring gear with +INT modifiers and/or Mentats) and Idiot Savant 5x(the second tier)

Even though IS procs more with a lower INT, having 15 INT gives you a base xp gain of 146.7%, and the times when IS procs you get the added 5x.

Guy on Reddit did the maths testing actions thousands of times at different INT levels with no IS, 3x IS, and 5x IS.

JVIkUEU.png
    OqZGqhd.png

Basically, at Int 1 with IS 5x, your average XP boost is around 151%. That dips down the higher your Int gets until you hit Int 9, then it goes back up. At 15 Int with IS 5x you get an average bonus of around 156%.
    As you can see in the chart, Idiot Savant is always worth taking, regardless of your INT stat.

Presuming leveling as fast as possible is your goal. Personally I find getting too much experience actually diminishes my enjoyment of the game, because level-ups stop feeling special and new unlocks lose their novelty because I'm getting them all the time. I like having to work for my EXP.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Concerning XP Gains:

Apparently the max XP bonus you can get is if you have INT 15(requiring gear with +INT modifiers and/or Mentats) and Idiot Savant 5x(the second tier)

Even though IS procs more with a lower INT, having 15 INT gives you a base xp gain of 146.7%, and the times when IS procs you get the added 5x.

Guy on Reddit did the maths testing actions thousands of times at different INT levels with no IS, 3x IS, and 5x IS.

JVIkUEU.png
    OqZGqhd.png

Basically, at Int 1 with IS 5x, your average XP boost is around 151%. That dips down the higher your Int gets until you hit Int 9, then it goes back up. At 15 Int with IS 5x you get an average bonus of around 156%.

As you can see in the chart, Idiot Savant is always worth taking, regardless of your INT stat.

well, that depends on if the 10% xp gain at higher INT is worth the 2 levels worth of XP you spend getting the perks

Since there's no level cap, you can eventually get ALL the perks. So why not spend those two points early on(rank two IS is only lv11)?

Sure, it's absolutely worth it if you are going to play a single character for literally thousands of hours. For those of us who might not go past 50 it's a real concern.

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I've avoided Idiot Savant because one of my friends took it early on and complained about the noise it makes a lot.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I wonder how important the cash register sound effect whenever you get XP is to this game

I bet it would be very very different without it

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    i didn't realize idiot savant was that good

i should grab it next

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Has anyone been to the Wreck of the FMS Northern Star? Something happened for me that I'm not sure was supposed to happen.
    All the raiders on the ship were speaking in some sort of Nordic language, I don't know which. Is that a bug, or does that happen for everyone? Other parts of the ship, like the lifeboat that takes you up top were acting weird, so I'm not sure.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Has anyone been to the Wreck of the FMS Northern Star? Something happened for me that I'm not sure was supposed to happen.
    All the raiders on the ship were speaking in some sort of Nordic language, I don't know which. Is that a bug, or does that happen for everyone? Other parts of the ship, like the lifeboat that takes you up top were acting weird, so I'm not sure.

Yeah I got that too.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    They're all ghouls who are survivors of the original crash of the ship.
    I felt REALLY bad after I looked up what they were saying. Because they aren't actually raiders, and they just keep telling you to leave them alone.

Dedwrekka on
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

The FMS would be French Majesty's Ship, and would explain why the ghouls were speaking French!

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

The FMS would be French Majesty's Ship, and would explain why the ghouls were speaking French!

They're norwegian. FMS doesn't actually mean anything

• Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    I felt REALLY bad after I looked up what they were saying. Because they aren't actually raiders, and they just keep telling you to leave them alone.

Oh dear, oh no. If they hadn't started shooting at me, they would all still be alive...

I looked up FMS and the closest thing I found in real life was "Finnish Missionary Service", but that didn't seem right. Also, I speak French, and knew they weren't French.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    remember, it's the future, the finnish could have conquered europe at some point before the bombs went off

• Options

Oh dear, oh no. If they hadn't started shooting at me, they would all still be alive...

I looked up FMS and the closest thing I found in real life was "Finnish Missionary Service", but that didn't seem right. Also, I speak French, and knew they weren't French.

What I did was turn on subtitles and took what they were saying to google translate. They yell things like "Det var vondt" and "ga vekk" and "jeg kommer hjem", or in english "It was pain" (probably "that hurt" and google just mangles translations), "Go Away" and "I'm coming home" (that last one they only say as they die).

• Options
    Holy shit that's clever

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hooray i managed to romance curie

now to get sweet on danse so i can get his amazing perk

wait where did i send him

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

They're norwegian. FMS doesn't actually mean anything

Well, I originally thought it stood for Fucking Man Shit. Let's go with that instead?

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    One of the annoying things about Piper's companion perk though is that the most common option for charisma dialogue is "hey give me more money for this quest" and she hates that every time.

It's vastly outweighed by the number of locks you pick around her though.

Not sure about the grifting for more money, but deacon is also a companion who loves the lock pick . Gets a bit judgy when you take all the drugs, but whatevs.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I built a house on top of the Red Rocket

and then a town on top of the literal red rocket

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    That hardware store with the person asking for your help really got to me
    It started off comical because it was fairly obvious that it was a trap, and I love that when you wander off you can hear the bandit leader going 'Grrr, why didn't we shoot them in the head the moment they walked through the door?'. But after it's all done I found the pit of bodies and that haunting musical sting came up. I'd mentioned the effectiveness of the music in this game to drive points home, and here was a stand-out example.

There's no golden Fat Man or anything else useful (that I could see) at the end of that side story, just a bleak reminder of the darkness of the Wasteland.

On a more positive note I still love the Railway Rifle. I should just always be aiming for the feet in VATS, right?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So I'm super lost in the Institute and it's driving me nuts. Also it was bizarrely deserted. Like absolutely empty, the only sign of life was a weird clattering when I walked in a certain area. Eventually I took an elevator up and inside a small room there was 50 Synth Assaulters. At least 50, probably more, I saw more than a few ragdolls fucking panic and flee through the walls

68ZmIwd.jpg

There was that many corpses on the other side of the room, it was utter madness, the first time I went up there they all shot me in the face at once, the next I blasted myself full of jet and chucked as many plasma grenades as I could, the battle was fought mostly in single digit frame rates and I went from level 48 to 54

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    you know what I love? the fact that the chems used for increasing INT (even just temporarily) list lead as a main ingredient.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Oh man, slowly building your network one settlement at a time is definitely the way to go. My previous experience was not great, what with the 10 or so poorly equipped settlements I grabbed in the first 2 hours.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    When I'm done with the game, I'm strongly considering just spawning a ton of sets of power armor for each of my settlers, and basically ruling the commonwealth with a huge, fusion-powered fist.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I sort of got to a point where I realized that building up settlements was basically useless without a certain amount of Charisma, and thus useless for my current character, and just stopped bothering.

I'll get to it on a future playthrough.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

Man

How cool is that quest
    I really can't think of a good reason not to side with Captain Ironsides everytime

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    curie (synth) has no default weapon which means she should generally be given a melee weapon, since she will just run out of ammo with any firearm

so i gave her a legendary sword i found that does more damage the less armor you have (she has 0 armor)

she now happily one shots legendary super mutants and deathclaws, it owns

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    she has a default weapon she is just really reluctant to use it

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    yeah she comes with a laser rifle. it's just she's discovered the joys of visceral blood lust and wants to get stuck in.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think theres a bug where she sometimes doesnt get one.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Her preferred weapons are clotheslines and suplexes because she just runs in and fucks shit up when I roll with her. She was using a named blade I found in a quarry for the longest time, but after I mistakenly took it off her and saw her moves I had to leave her unarmed. I only wish I could name her BONESAW.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    she seriously hates using the laser rifle. i have sen her unable t get to enemies she coudl shoot but just keeps trying new ways to get tot hem instead of shooting at them. she will eventually though

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Thank goodness I'm on PC. Had to console command in a plot-critical item for the Underground Undercover quest when the game glitched and didn't give it to me.

Also, random trivia thing that I learned today - Marty Robbins (who did "Big Iron" aka "The Best Song in New Vegas") was part Paiute Indian.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Curie is probably my favourite companion thus far

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I only just got Curie but Piper is the best so far IMO

Cutie seems real neat though so far

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Btw Codsworth can equip bowler hats

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Thank goodness I'm on PC. Had to console command in a plot-critical item for the Underground Undercover quest when the game glitched and didn't give it to me.

Also, random trivia thing that I learned today - Marty Robbins (who did "Big Iron" aka "The Best Song in New Vegas") was part Paiute Indian.

Marty Robbins was also the goddamn man. Seriously, the dude was just the best.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Why would the survivor ever keep the vault 111 suit? I mean, it is iconic, and its very flattering, but there are no good memories with that thing.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    The more I think about the opening the more I hate it, spoilers for kellog
    Kellog is meant to be this badass mercenary who always gets the job done, yet he fucking shoots your spouse in dangerously close proximity to the target child for no fucking reason. She/he could barely move, and was not a serious threat at all, to the agents or the baby. A bullet could've ricocheted and killed the kid, the spouse could've suddenly pulled the kid in front, anything could've happened. All Kellog had to do was knock out the spouse, stun them, inject them with somethign, etc. Shooting them felt like Bethesda going "heres the only character you actually care about so far, in fact some of you may have customised them, we even have their voice actor/actress on payroll, but fuck it we couldnt be bothered to include them in the story". It felt cheap and lame.

Also I find it funny that the entire of the storyline hinges on the institute
    not being able to communicate instantaneously with their robots. This isnt ever brought up directly in game, its just implied because otherwise nothing youre doing "undercover" makes any sense

I dislike also how the Institute
    Justify their actions as "AI dont have souls theyre just machines". I wouldve preferred if they were more pragmatic and realistic in their evil, and just straight up justified them as an ends justify the means slavery thing, like the Pitt dlc from 3

I love this game, and there are some great major choices you get to make, but theyve utterly dropped the ball with the smaller choices, for instance with the institute
    When you recover a synth with that Courser, and the courser tells you the shutdown code, it doesnt matter if you dont use it, or if you threaten to kill the synth, youre locked out, as the Courser says the code and then the synth is flagged as immortal. Its so frustrating not being able to do what you really want to do moment to moment. They justify it all with the "youre undercover so your choices arent really your own anyway" thing, but its such a lame cop-out

Prohass on
This discussion has been closed.