As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Foolproof is a certified mushroom expert! Ask him your questions in the [Food] thread

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I was curious because I'd like to serve it over rice and I figured if it was soupy, it'd run all over.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    You could probably cut down on some of the liquid or uncover the pot to let some more liquid evaporate if you want it thicker. I mostly make it for the leftovers so I can accept one thinner bowl.

BTW in other alternatives to the basic recipe, chicken broth works well too if you don't mind it not being vegetarian.

• Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    I like to put sweet potato in with dahl

Just, cook it down with the onions so it goes a bit mushy with the lentils

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I just had lunch at a Thai buffet and holy moley was that some great food. Not a huge buffet, just 10 hot items, a mixed veggie salad with peanut dressing, and some melon slices, but everything was delicious. Less than $10 for all you can eat, too!

There were hardly any Thai places where I used to live, and I'm super glad that I've moved somewhere with a large Thai community. Thai food is quickly moving up my list if favorite styles of food.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I just had lunch at a Thai buffet and holy moley was that some great food. Not a huge buffet, just 10 hot items, a mixed veggie salad with peanut dressing, and some melon slices, but everything was delicious. Less than $10 for all you can eat, too!

There were hardly any Thai places where I used to live, and I'm super glad that I've moved somewhere with a large Thai community. Thai food is quickly moving up my list if favorite styles of food.

Get the Green Curry. it's the best.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUD wrote: »
    jgeis wrote: »

Get the Green Curry. it's the best.

They had a green curry on the buffet! It was full of bambo shoots, some variety of big grayish-black mushrooms, chicken, and some other veggies I'm forgetting. The curry sauce was killer, just the right balance of coconut milk sweetness and spiciness.

• Options
    @Mayabird , that recipe was really good, thanks for posting it!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Another good thing about dal - especially if you have it with brown rice, as you absolutely should - is that if you've been having any little issues with, uh, throughput then those will be solved.

• Options
    V1m wrote: »
    Another good thing about dal - especially if you have it with brown rice, as you absolutely should - is that if you've been having any little issues with, uh, throughput then those will be solved.

I used a wild rice blend!

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So far I haven't seen a lot of 'roo around Boston, but turns out Trader Joe's has Barramundi, so there's a taste of home. Made a sous-vide version with lemongrass and ginger butter (seared quickly at the end).

9pe4vo4807wi.jpg

• Options
    I've only personally seen kangaroo in jerky form, but I know that it does exist as a raw meat in the US.

• Options
    I generally don't buy it overseas unless it's on special and I'm feeling particularly nostalgic; the air-miles make it both budget and eco-unfriendly. Plus every time I've bought kangaroo in Europe it turns out to be the tougher cuts. But I'll keep an eye out!

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah. From what I understand, Kangaroos are impossible to raise as cattle, so all the Meat is harvested from the wild. So that's a long trip to the US.

• Options
    You could probably set up a kangaroo ranch if you really wanted but it's way more trouble than it's really worth. The eat-local equivalent in the US would be venison, if I really wanted to fill a red game craving.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah. From what I understand, Kangaroos are impossible to raise as cattle, so all the Meat is harvested from the wild. So that's a long trip to the US.

Roos are tough and can subsist off dirt and weeds, the problem is keeping them in. You need pretty decent fences about 9 feet high so the fuckers don't just jump over them.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I think it's more of a "raise without losing a shit ton of money" situation. You'd need a large ranging area that's fenced in with high fences that are dig proof.

But it's moot since you Australians are all "no exporting local animals for commercial use" now.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah. I think it's more of a "raise without losing a shit ton of money" situation. You'd need a large ranging area that's fenced in with high fences that are dig proof.

But it's moot since you Australians are all "no exporting local animals for commercial use" now.

Hey - we'll let you eat roos when you let us eat bald eagles.

• Options
    Hey, we'll do a package deal. You guys get possum, squirrel, javelina and nutria. We get the roos.

• Options
    Nah, we're good for roadkill and vermin. I tell you what, we'll swap buffalo and bald eagle for emu and koala?

• Options
    Hmm, buffalo are fine. We've got tons of them.

You just have to make sure you've got all the proper equipment at the processing plants.

Way back when I was a young lad, I worked over the summers and weekends at a local meat packing plant. It mostly did the occasional steer from the local farmers, with a few deer thrown in when there was a hunter who didn't want to do the butchering themselves. One of the local farmers decided to start raising bison and had called up and asked the owner if we could handle them.

The other guys and I were pretty sure we couldn't and told the owner we needed a bigger stunner and better rails if we were gonna do bison. The owner went ahead and had them bring a bison in for processing. Well, when you try to use a stunner that only has 5" on a bison that has about 4" of hide and skull in the way, you end up with one seriously pissed off bison. And the capture pen and rails were all set up for cattle, so there was a pissed off bison that was able to break out of the rails and was destroying everything in it's path.

The owner was able to finally bring the bison down with his .30-45, but the entire intake area of the processing plant was trashed.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Wait this is a thing?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have Cadillac Ranch stuck in my head now, but with "Kangaroo" instead of "Cadillac" in the lyrics.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, I'm making a Mexican dish that's mussels with a cilantro-parsley sauce

What vegetable side dish can I do? It's got to be vegetables, preferably not potatoes or squash.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Maybe asparagus tips in a lemon sauce?

• Options
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Roasted cauliflower. And not just because that's what I'm having for dinner.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Got my hands on a wok recently, any of you folks have a recommendation for a sauce for shrimp?

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Okay guys, I'm making a Mexican dish that's mussels with a cilantro-parsley sauce

What vegetable side dish can I do? It's got to be vegetables, preferably not potatoes or squash.

corn on the cob?

oh oh oh! a succotash, corn, lima beans, peas, etc with a tomato salsa or salsa verde?

• Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    Got my hands on a wok recently, any of you folks have a recommendation for a sauce for shrimp?

Sesame sauce:
    1 tbsp tahini
    1 tbsp toasted sesame seed
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp soy sauce
    1 tbsp stock
    1 tbsp mirin

Blend. It should just coat the shrimp, so adjust amounts accordingly.

Miso-Mustard sauce:
    3 tbsp miso
    3 tbsp mirin
    1 tbsp rice vinegar
    1 tsp mustard powder

Blend. Again, it just coats the shrimp.

Brown sauce:
    1 cup stock
    3 tbsp mirin
    1 tbsp dark soy saice
    2 tbsp black bean paste or oyster sauce
    1 tsp cornstarch dissolved in a tsp of water

Blend. This is a larger amount so you can add vegetables and stuff.

Green sauce:
    1 bunch flat leaf parsley, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, chopped
    1/2 tsp pepper
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp chopped jalepeno
    2 tbsp minced oregano
    3 tbsp finely chopped red onions
    3 tbsp sherry vinegar
    zest and juice of 2 lemons
    300 ml olive oil

Blend together.

Garlic Sauce:
    3 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tsp salt
    1 large onion, thinly sliced
    125ml juice (half orange, half lemon)
    2 tbsp lime juice
    2 tsp olive oil

Mostly a marinade, can be cooked down for a sauce.

Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    Sorry all, I appreciate the recommendations, but I've decided to just to glazed carrots and kale caesar salad, because I didn't want to go to the grocery store again!

Also... I was pulling the mussels from the fridge to the sink and I had this moment where I looked at the bag and wondered if mussels have sentience/consciousness or spatial awareness, and now I'm just sort of looking at them. :confused:

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    They don't have a central nervous system so ... I doubt it. If that helps.

• Options
    Good point, good point.

I had a manhattan on an empty stomach, okay, it made me suddenly very concerned.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Are animals without centralized nervous systems basically weird plants?

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Nah, they're more like mushrooms.

• Options
    some plants seem to have pretty good spatial awareness.

• Options
    Made a pork herb-and-black-pepper-crusted tenderloin with vermouth and ancho fennel.

(secretly I just wanted the leftover pork for putting in hot and sour udon).

xsqsfghweaaw.jpg

o2gdgq8w2tnn.jpg

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Guys, I made steak and bernaise for some lovely ladies tonight. Afterwards, those ladies were like, "That is some good steak, Peter, and your bernaise game is strong."

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Bernaise is incredible

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The trick is you need a really strong whisk to mix the bear in with the eggs and oil.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    That and temperature control.

Fuck off and die.