Options

[steam] thread: Aliens. Superhereos. Mayo. Games for all!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=824

Durante has fixed Tales of Symphonia's most glaring issue, the internal resolution being stuck to 720p.

Is that really its most glaring issue? I thought the DRM shenanigans with it writing a new exe to the C: drive every time you start it was the most glaring issue?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    To be more specific in regard to the AC games: I like the first as a starting point for folks that (A) want to have all the bits of the story and (B) want to see for themselves where the games began. AC2 expanded, in some measures greatly, what one could do in those games, and more or less AC Brotherhood and AC Revelations both continue the AC 2 story (as well as AC Revelations finishing up Altair's story from the first game) and add their own mechanics and locations, as well as telling a (to me) enjoyable framing modern story of Templars and Assassins among us.

AC 3 gave a new engine, and for some folks wasn't as "good". The story was less a full fledged Ezio or even Altair story, and more about Connor and his father in relation to Desmond and his father. Still, the sailing missions were fun, the Frontier was pretty awesome, and it was cool (for me at least) to run around Revolutionary War America. AC IV is usually regarded as a great pirate game, it seems, but less an Assassin's Creed game. I'd argue it makes for a great tale of Edward becoming an assassin, and therefore fits the AC game model quite well, but the modern framing device is rather weak because of narrative turns taken in AC3.

I have yet to play Rogue, Unity, or Syndicate.

Liberation is a fine side story, but it shows too many times how much of a handheld game it was. Still, I enjoy the character of Aveline, and found the 3 persona mechanic to be an idea sadly not realized in other games.

Still, I enjoy all the games, even past their faults, and if you haven't played the first, I do recommend starting there, even if the game itself is a bit rough to look back on these days.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    This game, Town of Light, just popped up for pre-order on the Humble Store. Looks like it could be pretty freaky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5j5qPjEWqQ

From Store page (I particularly like the bolded point):

12 March 1938. Renée, 16 years old, is ripped out of her world, locked up and deprived of everything.
    Her only fault was that she didn't know what her place in the world was.
    "A danger to herself and others and a cause of public scandal" wrote the police headquarters.
    The only horror you will find in this game is the truth: a blow to the solar plexus, much more intense than any supernatural presence

The Town of Light is a psychological adventure told in the first person. The story is set in Italy in the first half of the 20th Century in a place which really existed and has been meticulously reconstructed. Exploring and interacting with the environment you will relive the history of the main character through her confused viewpoint and on the basis of your choices, the story will develop in different ways.
    Characteristics:
    Realistic 3d graphics
    Based on real facts and events.
    Strong narrative component
    No zombies or supernatural presences.
    Original sound track.

Ed Gruberman on
    steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I think one of the things I disliked about AC3 is I found the setting very boring from an AC gameplay standpoint.

It's all forests and small towns. The conflict of the revolutionary war is much more interesting than the actual setting.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote: »
    HiT BiT wrote: »

Which AC's are the good ones, again?

Rogue is considered good, not great. It's basically more of AC4: Black Flag for people that didn't want to go back to land.

The Chronicles games are 2D spinoffs that have generally been considered decent to good but not mind blowing. We're not talking about Mark of the Ninja quality here.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    What I will say about AC3 is Connor has probably the most badass combat style in the entire series.

Those tomahawks are just fucking awesome.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think I have disgaea 1 on all possible platforms except for steam. Never played it for more than 15 hours, i.e. barely touched it.

EDIT: Crap, how do I "extract" the key from my inventory games without sending the game to people?

Anyways, I have:
    - Civ IV
    - Portal
    - Nuclear Dawn
    - Cthulhu Saves the World
    - Bit.trip Runner
    - XCOM Enemy Unknown
    - Mighty Quest for Epic Loot x3
    - Gun Monkeys
    - Defence Grid + Containment DLC
    - Nuclear Throne
    - MGSV Ground Zeroes.

no one wants to help me give away some games?

One thing that I believe might work is to send it as a gift to your own email address. You'll receive a gift link, which you can then put into a [codes ] tag. I think it puts your email address at the end of each link, but you can remove that part.

I also think it'll add whoever claims the code to your friends list and vice versa. That was my experience with Bioshock 2 a few years back, at least.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    vamen wrote: »
    I never did quite figure out how it worked.

NOpfO6x.png

They won't show up in the post preview though, so you just have to go with your gut.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    Been thinking about it but there aren't actually any sci fi themed diabloesque loot based ARPGs, are there?

Most of them just seem to be dark fantasy. I would buy the hell out of one.

I was going to say Darkspore. But that game is no longer on steam and in fact is shutting down (multiplayer servers?) March 1st.

That was a fun little sci-fi loot fest.

EDIT: oh wow. Heck, looks like it hasn't been available to buy since 2013. Wow. How time flies.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Ahhh, Doom cheats give me the warm fuzzies. 22 and a bit years on and I still remember them. Well played, Mr Stax.

Jazz on
  • Options
    @Pixelated Pixie - um, I'd be remiss not pointing these aspects of American Truck Simulator out to you...

0a9r9chn7tx6.jpg

Where's that Gaben wallet-stealing GIF again? Trying... to... resist...

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular

Assassin's Creed: interesting story, interesting characters, modern day stuff is not great, lead ups to assassinations feel very samey.
    Assassin's Creed II: Ezio is a great main character and the combat is super fun, best self-contained story in the series.
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Ezio continues to be great, assassin helpers are fun to use, Mediterranean Defense is more fun than it has any right to be.
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations: Ezio is still cool, Constantinople is pretty and neat to run around in, story ties back to Altair nicely.
    Assassin's Creed III: Lack of tall buildings is lame, combat is harder, story is cool if you dig American history. Ship battles are fun.
    Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington: The animal powers are great, this is what ACIII should have been all along. Also the first good boss fight in AC history.
    Assassin's Creed: Liberation: I haven't played this one yet, it's sitting on my 360 ready to go though. :(
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: Expanded on the ship system from III to great effect, Edward is almost as cool as Ezio, whaling is neat, great cast of characters.
    Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry: It's more ACIV if that's what you're looking for, and you should be.
    Assassin's Creed: Unity: Skip this one. The combat is too hard, the main character is a whiny twip, and the multiplayer stuff is lame.
    Assassin's Creed; Rogue: This is essentially ACIV 2 with another interesting story.
    Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China: Side-scrolling level-based AC with an emphasis on stealth instead of combat. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
    Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: I'm playing this right now, and it may dethrone AC2 as my favorite of the series. The Fryes are both great characters, the side activities are fun, and the combat is satisfying without being overly easy.
    Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India: I don't have this one yet, but if China is any indication it is worth your time.

Holy shit there are a lot of AC games.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Been thinking about it but there aren't actually any sci fi themed diabloesque loot based ARPGs, are there?

@Dr. Chaos

Take a look at Drox Operative. It has a demo too.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote: »

Dr. Chaos

Can we look at Drox Operative if we're not Dr. Chaos? Because I already did.

And I like what I'm seeing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drake wrote: »

@Dr. Chaos

Diablo with space ships. Interesting.

Will definitely check it out.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Assassin's Creed: interesting story, interesting characters, modern day stuff is not great, lead ups to assassinations feel very samey.
    Assassin's Creed II: Ezio is a great main character and the combat is super fun, best self-contained story in the series.
    Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood: Ezio continues to be great, assassin helpers are fun to use, Mediterranean Defense is more fun than it has any right to be.
    Assassin's Creed: Revelations: Ezio is still cool, Constantinople is pretty and neat to run around in, story ties back to Altair nicely.
    Assassin's Creed III: Lack of tall buildings is lame, combat is harder, story is cool if you dig American history. Ship battles are fun.
    Assassin's Creed III: The Tyranny of King Washington: The animal powers are great, this is what ACIII should have been all along. Also the first good boss fight in AC history.
    Assassin's Creed: Liberation: I haven't played this one yet, it's sitting on my 360 ready to go though. :(
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag: Expanded on the ship system from III to great effect, Edward is almost as cool as Ezio, whaling is neat, great cast of characters.
    Assassin's Creed IV: Freedom Cry: It's more ACIV if that's what you're looking for, and you should be.
    Assassin's Creed: Unity: Skip this one. The combat is too hard, the main character is a whiny twip, and the multiplayer stuff is lame.
    Assassin's Creed; Rogue: This is essentially ACIV 2 with another interesting story.
    Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China: Side-scrolling level-based AC with an emphasis on stealth instead of combat. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
    Assassin's Creed: Syndicate: I'm playing this right now, and it may dethrone AC2 as my favorite of the series. The Fryes are both great characters, the side activities are fun, and the combat is satisfying without being overly easy.
    Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India: I don't have this one yet, but if China is any indication it is worth your time.

I felt like I was doing good progressing through the series having finished up through III. Then I saw this post. A lot of stuff has come out in the last couple years.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »
    @Pixelated Pixie - um, I'd be remiss not pointing these aspects of American Truck Simulator out to you...

0a9r9chn7tx6.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out. You monster.

I'll have to pass on it though. Currently saving up to nab the Tomb Raider season pass first.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016

Durante has fixed Tales of Symphonia's most glaring issue, the internal resolution being stuck to 720p.

Is that really its most glaring issue? I thought the DRM shenanigans with it writing a new exe to the C: drive every time you start it was the most glaring issue?

Sounds like there are several simultaneous most glaring issues, sadly. It's shitty that once again we're down to unofficial fixes for companies that really should know better by now. I mean, I'm glad Durante does this, but in his absence I think the recent trend of console exclusives coming to Steam would've had a much colder reception - and that worries me for several reasons.

This hurts extra because I've been itching to replay Symphonia for some time; it's still my favorite of the bunch. After being let down by Xillia I'd love to know if it's not just nostalgia playing tricks on me again.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

You forgot an important part: One of the collectibles are music sheets that unlock new sea shanties your crew will sing.

How is the combat changed in Syndicate? That's always been a sore spot in AC games, that combat feels weightless and a bit sluggish until you land that final hit and you do an overly elaborate finishing animation the victim's friends stand around patiently for if it wasn't one of the titles where counterattacks were instant kills. AC4 got around this by having the pistol brace to speed up combat and especially the unlockable brace that let you one shot up to four enemies before reloading but I'd prefer to have better base melee.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    18 hours left. COME GET IT!

signature.png

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

I mean, it's a shitty DRM but one that was easily broken and doesn't really seem to affect much. It's more of a "This is stupid and makes little sense" thing given it's a more intrusive DRM than Zestiria, the brand new game in the series.

Anyway Durante has an article up about it and other shitty PC ports from likes of Koei Tecmo at PC gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-pc-ports-like-tales-of-symphonia-are-unacceptable/

The best part is, since PCgamer is part of the general news feed for most games it is on the news feed for the game right now in the News section front and center.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    Jazz wrote: »

0a9r9chn7tx6.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out. You monster.

I'll have to pass on it though. Currently saving up to nab the Tomb Raider season pass first.

Just make sure to follow the page for now, I guess!

• Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    https://www.origin.com/en-ie/store/free-games/on-the-house

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the newer one) is free on Origin.

That means this friday night we'll be racing! woo!

(If you're not playing xcom that is)

So get your copy downloaded before friday if you want to do some racing through the streets!

I'm corriganx on Origin as well.

I love that I figured out you can log on from the website, click download, and it will count to buying it, but you don't have to have the client downloaded. I.E. I did it from work at my desk.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    CorriganX wrote: »
    https://www.origin.com/en-ie/store/free-games/on-the-house

Need for Speed: Most Wanted (the newer one) is free on Origin.

That means this friday night we'll be racing! woo!

(If you're not playing xcom that is)

So get your copy downloaded before friday if you want to do some racing through the streets!

I'm corriganx on Origin as well.

I love that I figured out you can log on from the website, click download, and it will count to buying it, but you don't have to have the client downloaded. I.E. I did it from work at my desk.

Heck, I've been trying to download it from the client for the past 3 hours, so I'll take that as a feature. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Huh, a Humble Bundle where I literally don't have any of the games in it. I think I'm definitely going to have to pick this one up, and probably at the $15 tier. Think they'll add in the other Assassin's Creed Chronicles games later on? Or is it more likely to be some of the DLC for the other games?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Vampire: Bloodlines always makes sure to cover every response you might have in a conversation.

OMmXrfm.jpg

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Vampire: Bloodlines always makes sure to cover every response you might have in a conversation.

OMmXrfm.jpg

"Yes indeed."

Doesn't even blink at it. Max was great.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    RIP Troika, purveyors of the most engrossing of broken ass RPGs.

• Options
    And now I want to play VTMB again. Again. Againnnn....

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    So exited to hear what Paradox has in store for WoD. I was pumped and ready for CCP to release World of Darkness Online before the big cancel. I would have instantly subbed to that game for life just for the world and lore behind it.

• Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    If anyone wants Gunslinger or Grow Home from that Ubi bundle on Steam, hit me up, bought the bundle mainly for AC China.

Also have Uplay code for Blacklist, FC4, and Rayman Origins.

I'll grab FC4 if you still have it. Missed it when it came out.

UseR2006 on
    "I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

NOpfO6x.png

They won't show up in the post preview though, so you just have to go with your gut.

@Mudzgut, this lovely image SmokeStacks put together might do a better job in the OP than the text (that I wrote :( ) about the codes tag that no one ever seems to find. :wink:

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    First off - huge thanks to Jazz for reposting my giveaway. I ended up going out of town the majority of the day and couldn't get my giveaways posted well from my phone in the new thread.

Now for my Birthday Extravaganza Winners!

Grim Fandango Remastered
    @cB557

Brutal Legend
    @Jeix

Massive Chalice
    @RoyceSraphim

Crypt of the Necrodancer
    @Gear Girl

Never Alone
    @UseR2006

Her Story
    @Gear Girl

Congratulations to everyone! Thanks for helping me celebrate my old age :) I did the "send key" thing in Steamgifts...please let me know if anything doesn't arrive for anyone.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

You forgot an important part: One of the collectibles are music sheets that unlock new sea shanties your crew will sing.

How is the combat changed in Syndicate? That's always been a sore spot in AC games, that combat feels weightless and a bit sluggish until you land that final hit and you do an overly elaborate finishing animation the victim's friends stand around patiently for if it wasn't one of the titles where counterattacks were instant kills. AC4 got around this by having the pistol brace to speed up combat and especially the unlockable brace that let you one shot up to four enemies before reloading but I'd prefer to have better base melee.

I think it is the best combat the series has had. It feels a bit like the Arkham combat but without gadgets and whatnot. I regularly have to interrupt what I'm doing to counter an incoming attack, and getting multiple enemies in a near-death state can result in you doing the elaborate kill which feels more natural than "lol counter win" to me.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Iolo wrote: »

NOpfO6x.png

Mudzgut, this lovely image SmokeStacks put together might do a better job in the OP than the text (that I wrote :( ) about the codes tag that no one ever seems to find. :wink:

I love that you included the code.
    SPISPOPD, part of the cheat code "idspispopd", is an abbreviation for Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris. Its origin can be traced back to the following Usenet post by Eli S. Bingham in early December, 1993, from the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action newsgroup:
       Listen up, ID Software!

Next time you have an impending release of a much anticipated
       game, make  sure its name is not so cool-sounding as DOOM and much
       longer to  eliminate all of the casual "Where can I get xxx" posts.
       How about  "Smashing Pumpkins Into Small Piles Of Putrid Debris" for
       the next game?

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular

For two franchises that both started November 2007, counting only major releases, there are three Assassin's Creed games for every Mass Effect, a ratio which will probably still be true by the next ME's release. Another franchise matching AC's churning rate of 9 games since November '07: Call of Duty.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I mean, it's a shitty DRM but one that was easily broken and doesn't really seem to affect much. It's more of a "This is stupid and makes little sense" thing given it's a more intrusive DRM than Zestiria, the brand new game in the series.

Anyway Durante has an article up about it and other shitty PC ports from likes of Koei Tecmo at PC gamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/broken-pc-ports-like-tales-of-symphonia-are-unacceptable/

The best part is, since PCgamer is part of the general news feed for most games it is on the news feed for the game right now in the News section front and center.
    Ahahahah. Fourteen minutes. That's how long it took durante to write a working resolution fix. It took longer to UPLOAD it.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Firewatch out on the 9th... Will probably be the next new thing I tackle after The Witness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZX3MgsRb0A

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Also Thankyou @Lindsay Lohan for Never Alone!
    Been eyeing that one for a while so totally looking forward to playing it!

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    If anyone wants Gunslinger or Grow Home from that Ubi bundle on Steam, hit me up, bought the bundle mainly for AC China.

Also have Uplay code for Blacklist, FC4, and Rayman Origins.

I'll grab FC4 if you still have it. Missed it when it came out.

It's actually FC3, @UseR2006 sorry.

In my defense, the numbers are next to each other.

This discussion has been closed.