Options

Hellgate†London: It's out. Why aren't you playing it?

• Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    Fartacus, that character model is your own, yes? The "bug" has to do with OTHER player characters, for the most part (I've never had any issues with the quality of my own, nor have I heard anyone else say they do aside from TetraNitroCubane). Your character model will look fine, while everyone else's looks like a character model/texture quality from Doom. I hope they fix it soon, because it's so jarring.

No, I know about that bug (have it myself), but he specifically referred to his own character as having poor graphics. Maybe it's a variation of the same bug.

Hey, thanks for putting up a screenshot. I appreciate the opportunity to compare.

Yeah, your character looks a hell of a lot better than mine. Can I ask you, though, if the facial textures look high-quality? I'm not sure if this is really a graphical bug, or the result of having a low-level character with dark, shitty armor right now. In any event, my models don't look nearly that shiny, and I've got everything set to max.

Also, as an aside, is there an in-game button to print the screen?

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Hey, thanks for putting up a screenshot. I appreciate the opportunity to compare.

Yeah, your character looks a hell of a lot better than mine. Can I ask you, though, if the facial textures look high-quality? I'm not sure if this is really a graphical bug, or the result of having a low-level character with dark, shitty armor right now. In any event, my models don't look nearly that shiny, and I've got everything set to max.

The facial textures are decent enough, but 99% of the time you're going to be wearing something that covers most of it anyway. There's no in-game method of taking screenshots that I know of. You can either hit print screen and paste into paint, or you can get the free version of FRAPS, which is what I used (takes gamma/brightness correction into account, so the screens won't be too dark outside the game).

Also, out of curiousity, how much video RAM does your hardware have? Maybe the game is short on video memory and is ratcheting down the textures to compensate.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Got it in the mail the same day I moved. Still no internet at home, so I'm playing by my lonesome.

Echo on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God damn, we have some winners on Vent this Sunday.

Anyways...

I finally got my hands on a gun with Nanobots. The verdict: they suck.

The Nanobots do count as a bot. They're like a little sparkly cloud that follows you around. They only last 40 seconds, though, and have a longish (starts at 2 minutes, goes down per-point) cooldown.

Basically, the bot attacks mobs. But instead of dealing damage, when you shoot the mob the bots are attacking, it triggers an AoE electric explosion. The problem: I have no idea how much damage it does. It's enough to clear out trash mobs, but what isn't? The skill description only lists that each point decreases the cooldown and increases the shock strength.

The real problem, though, is that the pathing and attack speed suck horribly. By the time that sodding idiotic nanobot actually gets into melee range, shit's usually half dead, and it doesn't stay there, either, so you get one explosion, and that's it.

They should've just made it a targeted AoE. If it didn't take a bot space and you didn't have to sit around and wait for it to get its ass in gear, it'd be great. As it is? I won't touch it.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

The facial textures are decent enough, but 99% of the time you're going to be wearing something that covers most of it anyway. There's no in-game method of taking screenshots that I know of. You can either hit print screen and paste into paint, or you can get the free version of FRAPS, which is what I used (takes gamma/brightness correction into account, so the screens won't be too dark outside the game).

Also, out of curiousity, how much video RAM does your hardware have? Maybe the game is short on video memory and is ratcheting down the textures to compensate.

The facial textures are really where the game seems lacking to me, in a startling way to be honest. Most of the character models look worse than Guildwars to me, which is why I'm a bit perplexed and thinking things might be a little bugged. I'll run through some tests when I get back to my rig today, and hopefully toss up a few screenshots for comparative purposes.

As for vRAM, I'm using an 8800GTS with 640 MB, so I sure as hell hope that's not the case. I'd heard rumblings of mishandling of video memory on the card, but I didn't know if it actually made any notable impact.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Im looking into this game cause I loved diablo II, but there are a couple factors that are holding me back.
    1)It's owned by EA and they tend to screw things up. For those who are playing online, are the servers pretty good(I live in Ohio)? and do they spam you with ads like EA tends to do?

2) Im not sure my lappy can handle this game. I looked at the requirements and the only part im worried about is my graphics card + RAM. its an ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200, which apparently uses the laptops memory since the card has none of its own, and I only have 1gig on this thing which is the minimum for RAM. So if the video card takes from the main RAM then it might not have enough to run. im downloading the demo to see if its playable.

3) The modern feel is kinda throwing me off. Is it still as crazy fun bloodfest like daiblo II was?

thanks for reading

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is it possible that the item models have inconsistent textures? WoW is like this; some armors have low-res textures, while others have sharper ones. It was like that from the beginning.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Patch 0.1 (to be released Nov 5th) notes:
    Patch 0.1 Notes

November 5, 2007

Greetings all!

We’re excited to see so many people playing and working hard on their characters. We’ve been working just as hard to crush bugs and add features, and we’ve got some surprises for you in this patch.

Although it was mentioned in Patch 0, we’ve moved Elite Difficulty to a feature that everyone can enjoy. We’ll warn you now – this is no walk in the park. If you’ve wanted more of a challenge, you’ll get it.

Amongst the persistent changes and features introduced in this patch, our subscription members are getting a slew of special Guy Fawkes related quests, environments, items, and rewards. Remember, remember the Fifth of November – although we’re going to be celebrating longer than just one day.

Thanks again for playing. See you online!

The Hellgate: London Team

---

World Events

* The All Hallows’ Eve event has ended. Halloween item drops and quests are no longer available, although all the goodies still work. If you have Candy, All Hallows Visage, or Zombot – they are yours! NOTE: If you have the plans and parts to construct a Zombot but have not yet done so, the recipe is still active.

UI

* Many new UI sounds for better feedback.
    * Elite Mode button now lights up only when a player has completed the main storyline.
    * Added a queuing system to the request dialog to better handle concurrent party, duel, trade, and guild requests from other players.
    * New Account Information in the Options menu.
    * Character’s level now properly displays after they join a guild
    * Party members are now always displayed in the Party UI regardless of how far apart they are, as long as the characters are in the same area / level.
    * New error message/sound when a character attempts to purchase an item without enough gold or room in their inventory.

Graphics

* Overall memory usage improved, especially in Stations. This increases client stability, reducing “memory exhausted” crash issues.

Skills
    Not many balance changes – mostly bugs.

Templar

Guardian

* Prayer of Healing cannot be used while poisoned.

Blademaster

* Surge of Speed effects do not stack with Adrenaline boosts.

Cabalists

Summoner

* The Summon Reaper cool down is now fixed and independent of other Minions.

Hunters

* Escape displays its rate of use.

Engineer

* Drones stats/items now save on logout.
    * Drones now properly receive Armor and Shields when equipped with armor using the Armor Retrofit skill.
    * Improvements to Haste Bot per-level effects.
    * Molotov Assault now has a splash damage component in addition to its field effect.

Quests

* PDA quest item can now be picked up.
    * Camera and UI modes only change for the player commanding the RTS quest rather than all party members.

Items

* Dual Focus and Dual Melee affixes no longer spawn. This also addresses edge-case bugs associated with dual wield weapons rarely disappearing.
    * Rebalanced Health and Power regeneration affixes.

Monsters

* Addressed numerous sync issues with Ravagers.

Environments

* More chests have been added to the Underground Cave passage set.

Miscellaneous

* Random recipes (including those found at Crafters) no longer produce Unique items.
    * Slightly increased character damage in Elite Mode.

Special Subscriber Features
    Here’s a host of explosive features for our subscription members.

Themed Events and Items
    Special storylines, quests, NPCs and events designed to celebrate special seasons or provide different themed challenges. Some of these take place every so often, while others only happen at a specific time of year.

Guy Fawkes (November 5 – November 11)

* Nemo, Master of Festivities - He has moved to his permanent home inside Templar Base with several surprises for adventurous souls.
    * Guy Fawkes Quests -There are bigger demons out there, and perhaps they’re being drawn to the flames that erupt on Bonfire night. Track down a series of named monstrosities and explore new areas as you seek to keep these horrors at bay.
    * Bonfire Nightmares - Parts of the city have been made even more fiery than usual by the culmination of increased demonic activity and the explosive nature of the times. Keep an eye out for these rare locations.
    * Grenades - What would this celebration be without explosions? Lots of explosions… so many, in fact, that everyone gets in on the fun of hurling the Marksman’s staple – Grenades. Now, imagine what else you could do with them…
    * Guy Fawkes Recipes - Making things is a big part of the remembrance of Guy Fawkes for the survivors in London. The ingenuity of Guy Fawkes is represented in the numerous recipes and schematics that crop up during this time.
    * Guy Fawkes Treats – Bonfire Toffee, Toffee Apples, Baked Potatoes – all of the expected foodstuffs (and more) to keep winter’s chill at bay and bolster characters with a wide variety of beneficial boosts.
    * Fawkes’ Flameguards - Handling explosives can be tricky, so you’ll want to make sure to find the right pair of gloves to keep your hands safe and sound.
    * The Legacy of Guy Fawkes - The Techsmiths have been busier than usual, so you’ll never know when gear might drop that has a thematic tie to the celebration.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That is great news. This game is only going to get better...we just need to give it a little time.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alright so I'm going to buy it from EA's direct download service anyone who bought it know how big the download is? Because if it's like 5+ Gigs I'm best off just buying it tomorrow when I get off work and installing.

WillisIVIIX on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Patch 0.1 (to be released Nov 5th) notes:

Templar

Guardian

* Prayer of Healing cannot be used while poisoned.

Nerdrage... RISING!

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That "Subscription is tied to only one server" thing just destroyed any interest I had in this game.

I will not play a dumbed down version while everyone else is all "Look what I got, look what I got!!!"

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TheMorningStarTheMorningStar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, this is weird. I've been fucking dreaming about this game for the past few nights. I have no idea why. I haven't been reading about it or anything. Before these dreams I had no fucking interest in the thing. But I can't ignore this shit anymore, I'm downloading the demo now. But from what I read the demo doesn't give a very good impression of the game...but I don't want to spend 50 bucks just to see what the game is really like.

TheMorningStar on
  • Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, this is weird. I've been fucking dreaming about this game for the past few nights. I have no idea why. I haven't been reading about it or anything. Before these dreams I had no fucking interest in the thing. But I can't ignore this shit anymore, I'm downloading the demo now. But from what I read the demo doesn't give a very good impression of the game...but I don't want to spend 50 bucks just to see what the game is really like.

Actually its only 40 at Circuit City.

jus sayin'

exist on
    UmPiq.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Klyka wrote: »
    That "Subscription is tied to only one server" thing just destroyed any interest I had in this game.

I will not play a dumbed down version while everyone else is all "Look what I got, look what I got!!!"

Huh? You subscribe, you get the goods on either the US or Euro servers. The only way this would be a problem is if you were trying to play on both.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So regarding the drone bug affecting engineer-class (all equipment on drone is deleted when logging out/crashing & stats are reset); do all of the drones/robots use equipments & stat points?

Because engineer is the only class that I can see playing if I get HL, but if bugs are that serious I rather wait until its fixed.

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    So regarding the drone bug affecting engineer-class (all equipment on drone is deleted when logging out/crashing & stats are reset); do all of the drones/robots use equipments & stat points or there only a few.

Because engineer is the only class that I can see playing if I get HL, but if bugs are that serious I rather wait until its fixed.

Only the Drone gets guns/armor/stats, the Bots do not, but the bots are non-targetable by the enemy anyway.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well I just subbed. I hope they keep enough content coming to keep me happy.

corin7 on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So regarding the drone bug affecting engineer-class (all equipment on drone is deleted when logging out/crashing & stats are reset); do all of the drones/robots use equipments & stat points?

Out of curiosity, is this even a confirmed bug? I mean I sort of assumed this would happen, ala the Metal Golem in D2. But then again, I always grab my weapons and armor off my bot, and never give him anything that great either. I guess if you really wanted to Pimp Your Drone, this is a huge downer.

Namrok on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Huh? You subscribe, you get the goods on either the US or Euro servers. The only way this would be a problem is if you were trying to play on both.

That's exactly the thing. I live in Germany. I want to play with people on the EU servers and with PA guys on the US servers. I don't want two accounts though.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    Spectre45 wrote: »
    I'm still trying to get parts for the Zombot. I need a ticker and I think 6 more blood. Anyone have any spare? PM me or send me a message in game, Spectre40

I got a spare ticker and like 6-7 spare blood in the bank if you still need them.
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    stryker116 wrote: »
    devoir wrote: »
    I'm asking again to those dick posters that aren't replying;

WHERE THE FUCK DID YOU FIND THE GAME FOR $15 or $25?!

How about you calm down and not be a dick.

No U!

Actually I wasn't really freaking about it, just being a showman. I still want to know where they got it cheap though.

I'm guessing they traded in something or used some store credit somewhere.
    Maybe, I just know that a couple of pages back one guy said that he picked up the game for like 25 bucks and another proudly announced that he got it for 15 and then when asked where they got it both of them promptly stopped posting.

Maybe that was because I wasn't on the site anymore, you shit.

Circuit City has the game for $40. My friend has one of those cards where you get 15% off from them on games, or something, and then a $10 gift certificate.
    Settle down, and thanks for the info.

Wow I'm a dick now?

Sorry some people actually have a life and have to go to work.

Next time you might actually consider sending a PM to the person whose post you have a question about instead of just calling them names and freaking out.

I got it for $15 because I found a edge card on it with $40 credit i didn't know i had.

fucking happy now?
    Put on your reading glasses, I made the important part a bit easier to read.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Soo, how the hell do I get rid of the oracle's body in my inventory? I was teaming for the mission, and my buddy used his oracle in the quest, and now I've completed the quests, yet I still have this huge oracle in my bank, that can't be dropped.

Buh?

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Out of curiosity, is this even a confirmed bug? I mean I sort of assumed this would happen, ala the Metal Golem in D2. But then again, I always grab my weapons and armor off my bot, and never give him anything that great either. I guess if you really wanted to Pimp Your Drone, this is a huge downer.
    Actually, the Metal Golem is saved between games so that you don't lose the benefit of destroying whatever item you made him out of. I don't know if it was like that in the olden days, but it's been that way for a few patches at least.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »
    Soo, how the hell do I get rid of the oracle's body in my inventory? I was teaming for the mission, and my buddy used his oracle in the quest, and now I've completed the quests, yet I still have this huge oracle in my bank, that can't be dropped.

Buh?

Yup. There's a later quest where you have to kill mobs, get their parts, and use provided recipes to make stuff. The stuff you make is non-drop, and you have to make 3 items. When the quest finishes, only two of the items are removed, so you're left with 2x2 inventory space that you're never gonna get back.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lame-ass, low-rez, in-game textures. :(

Dev, I see your armor and raise you glowies:

rifleman1iz7.jpg

Other views:
    rifleman2md6.jpg
    rifleman3ci0.jpg

s3rial one on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Holy sheeeeet s3rial.

The drone bug is fixed in Patch 0.1

KiTA - just play online. Same everything, and patches go to online quicker, plus you get the subscriber content option.

devoir on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    Holy sheeeeet s3rial.

The drone bug is fixed in Patch 0.1

KiTA - just play online. Same everything, and patches go to online quicker, plus you get the subscriber content option.

They say the drone bug is fixed. This is at least the third time they've claimed it, and the last two times... obviously, were wrong.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The drone bug is going to end up being like Arcane Missiles in WoW. It shows up in almost every patch note but is never actually fixed.

grrarg on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm

I really wanted to buy this game.

Then I read the req specs on the box - directx 9.0c required. I have an AGP Radeon x850, so I figured no dice (learned my lesson from BioShock, which is still sitting on my shelf, unplayable until I can scrape together the cash for a new PC)

On a whim, I downloaded the demo...

It seems to run just fine. Am I missing something? If I can really get by with just DX9.0 I'll probably pick the game up.

GameHat on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    GameHat wrote: »
    Hmmm

Then I read the req specs on the box - directx 9.0c required. I have an AGP Radeon x850, so I figured no dice (learned my lesson from BioShock, which is still sitting on my shelf, unplayable until I can scrape together the cash for a new PC)

It seems to run just fine. Am I missing something? If I can really get by with just DX9.0 I'll probably pick the game up.

Directx9 in whatever interation /= Shader Model 3.0

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm

People have been running this on 6150 LE's, your good ;-)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    InfestedGnomeInfestedGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm

Do you think my system could run it, ill repost as a spoiler:
    Im not sure my lappy can handle this game. I looked at the requirements and the only part im worried about is my graphics card + RAM. its an ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200, which apparently uses the laptops memory since the card has none of its own, and I only have 1gig on this thing which is the minimum for RAM. So if the video card takes from the main RAM then it might not have enough to run. im downloading the demo to see if its playable.

InfestedGnome on
    IGsig.jpg
    AKA [PA]Ilovepandas :D
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm

Im not sure my lappy can handle this game. I looked at the requirements and the only part im worried about is my graphics card + RAM. its an ATI MOBILITY RADEON XPRESS 200, which apparently uses the laptops memory since the card has none of its own, and I only have 1gig on this thing which is the minimum for RAM. So if the video card takes from the main RAM then it might not have enough to run. im downloading the demo to see if its playable.

Your video card is the only thing that would worry me. I would try the demo, see if you can get by with it on some lower settings and maybe upgrade to 2 gigs. Probably no way to upgrade that vid card tho =/

EDIT: That free wasp dye kit from the german EA site looks awesome on my evoker. I'll upload some screenies later.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    intelnavi wrote: »
    Hmmm

Your video card is the only thing that would worry me. I would try the demo, see if you can get by with it on some lower settings and maybe upgrade to 2 gigs. Probably no way to upgrade that vid card tho =/
    looking at the performance of that card it could *probably* handle it with everything set to low at a fairly low res...however there's also a good chance it'll use up enough ram that the game will either run horribly, or give you a below minimum requirments error at startup

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    HibikiHibiki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so who do I talk to in game to get a guild invite? I'm already on the hgl forum member list.

Hibiki on
  • Options
    intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hibiki wrote: »
    so who do I talk to in game to get a guild invite? I'm already on the hgl forum member list.

Devoir is the only one atm.

intelnavi on
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What is a good site to be looking up build suggestions? I have about 23 stat points and 5 skill points i'm kind of itching to spend, but I want some good ideas for builds.

Aoi on
  • Options
    GameHatGameHat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hmmm

Directx9 in whatever interation /= Shader Model 3.0

Actually, I don't think that's true.

Bioshock requires 9.0c. When I try to play Bioshock, I get so many missing textures as to make the game unplayable.

But maybe I'll try H:L, like I said the demo ran OK

GameHat on
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Septus wrote: »

Buh?

Yup. There's a later quest where you have to kill mobs, get their parts, and use provided recipes to make stuff. The stuff you make is non-drop, and you have to make 3 items. When the quest finishes, only two of the items are removed, so you're left with 2x2 inventory space that you're never gonna get back.

Wait, in addition to the Oracle, which is 3x2 space in my inventory, I'm gonna lose another 2x2? That seems more than a little ridiculous.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    6.8 Gigabytes? It's a good thing I have a fast connection.

Pb on
This discussion has been closed.