Options

Undertale (and also MSPA): Notorious T.E.M.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Well depending on what decade you're from 16 year old you might of had a motherfucker of a hill to climb on that particular hope

• Options
    VickyBitVickyBit Registered User regular
    Oh, boo hoo, Toby. I wish I had something as substantive as a Rom Hack at 16. Want to know my greatest creative accomplishment at 16? 200 page design documents. Of Mega Man games. That I naively assumed Capcom would read because they would HAVE to read anything that big!
    all things considered, that's still way more work put into thinking about game design and planning than the latest 'It's Minecraft But With Gunz' early access game on steam, so i say good goin :+1:

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Oh, boo hoo, Toby. I wish I had something as substantive as a Rom Hack at 16. Want to know my greatest creative accomplishment at 16? 200 page design documents. Of Mega Man games. That I naively assumed Capcom would read because they would HAVE to read anything that big!

That is way more effort than I have ever put into anything in my entire life.

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    also question for people who've finished the epilogue re: what lauren's going to see tonight
    she saved mid-go and is going to finish backtracking tonight, will asriel still be there at the start?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    oh my god schide

who is your av?
    Dis guy

Schide on
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    also question for people who've finished the epilogue re: what lauren's going to see tonight
    she saved mid-go and is going to finish backtracking tonight, will asriel still be there at the start?

Yep.
    He only disappears after you go through the credits, because when you boot the game back up after "The End" he has turned back into Flowey and gives you a message.

• Options
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Fuck I thought it started at 8 central

• Options
    Talking to
    Asriel
    hit her really hard. ;_;

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    The stream reminded me of how much I love the candy bowl.
    It's presented like it's some important moral decision, and many people refuse to take more than one.

However, it comes directly after you may or may not have chosen to murder someone. Compared to that, the candy bowl is completely irrelevant.

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Well, is it better or worse than being known for "The Baby is You", because I think Toby Fox might have dodged a bullet there.

Huh, how did I not put together Toby and any of his Homestuck fan stuff before...

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Ah, I'm still not caught up. Well, I'll catch this stream's contents later.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Got lost listening to Undertale music.

Man, where does the time go?

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    wait what the fuck was lauren just less affected by something in the game than I was
    what is happening

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Lauren is a really good singer

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    @laurentheflute The streams were really great! Thanks again for being basically the ultimate Undertale streamer. Don't be a stranger around the forums!

Also, I know you were still wondering some stuff about sans so I'm gonna leave a spoiler here. It'll tell you something ridiculously easy to miss that you can do on your next totally normal non-genocide playthrough that will explain to some extent what's up with him.
    So in the judgement room, if you reload without saving after Sans judges you, he'll realize that you've heard his speech before and give you a password. Reload a couple more times and he'll give you a key that unlocks his room and the room behind his house. I won't go into too much detail as to what you'll find in there, but it'll go a long way to explain why sans is the way he is.

It also unlocks a whole new can of worms that's either a giant hidden in the game-files easter egg for obsessive people or a hint at more undertale in the future! It's not quite clear which yet, but probably the first thing.

rhylith on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    It's the added details that make that so much worse than what's in game.
    Their horrified faces (except, eerily, for Sans's), Undyne trying to protect Alphys...

• Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I took the discount and don't regret it!
    The Canadian dollar is so bad right now ;_;

• Options
    tumblr_nxkynn2ksj1rqy9cvo1_500.png

• Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    You know, in retrospect, I think that the way I came into Undertale enhanced it even more.
    See, I was given Undertale. And I had literally no idea what it was. As in, never seen a screen of the damned thing. In fact, I was convinced it was another game, which I can't remember right now. I was really confused at the beginning, going "wait, I thought Undertale was that one point and click game with all the colors?" But well, I started it. The very beginning already caught my interest. Flowey sparked my hate instantly, the little jerk, and Toriel made me go from "oh you fucking flower" to "awwww" in zero point six second flat. Then I found out I could NOT kill guys. Which was great! Why would I kill these things when NOT killing them wasn't even harder? You'd have to be a jerk to do it. I have always generally tried to minimize casualties in games as much as possible (I am on record going through Prototype stages only causing, like, two civilian deaths, and you kill people in that game if you so much as bump into them, so believe me, it takes a lot of careful maneuvering).

But not knowing the whole "you don't have to kill anyone" tagline, I absolutely expected the game to pull that away from me at some point. I kept going on, falling in love with Toriel. And then, bam. The fight. I spent some time there, dodging and never realizing she stops attacking (I am actually vaguely decent at Bullet Hell games), mashing talk. But in the end, I concluded that this was it. This was when the game was going to be an asshole and force me to kill the adorable character it just made me love, because pretty much every game that exists has bosses you simply CAN'T nonlethal. So I struck, mostly feeling annoyed at the whole thing and false choice and videogames in general. And as she died, she died giving me advice. And asking me to take care and be good. I could feel my heart going "crack".

Something in my twenty-five-years-playing-videogames brain, though, started shouting at me that this wasn't the scene of a forced character death. It couldn't be. It had to be a "fuck you player for being an asshole and killing this character" scene. Had I missed something? I immediately went to google, trying to avoid spoilers, but with one question. "Can Toriel be saved". The instant I saw yes, closed google, restarted, and went to try to find it. And I did. And then Flowey berated me for going back. And that's when I realized that this game was going to work a little different, and that my choices were going to have actual weight. And that the things I did still happened even if I reset.

I would probably have done a rather pacifistic run in general either way. That's just how I play, as I said. But there might have been a death or two more out of sheer now knowing what to do.

But Toriel had asked me to be good with her dying breath. And so you better believe I was going to try my best to fucking BE good, even if it killed me.

Thankfully, that wasn't necessary because the only fight in the game that was hard was Undyne. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time in that fight going WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME and ending up dying a few times out of sheer exhaustion and thousand cuts :P .

Drascin on
    Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    @laurentheflute The streams were really great! Thanks again for being basically the ultimate Undertale streamer. Don't be a stranger around the forums!

Also, I know you were still wondering some stuff about sans so I'm gonna leave a spoiler here. It'll tell you something ridiculously easy to miss that you can do on your next totally normal non-genocide playthrough that will explain to some extent what's up with him.

Oh, that does make sense from what little I understand of the
    save/reset stuff with Flowey being explored in more depth and that being a really big deal
    but I'm sorry I missed it. Talk about easy to miss! I like to think I'm reasonably thorough but that's just not the sort of thing I would think to do. Which is a shame because I really would like to know more about Sans.

And everybody, thank you. I'm really glad we were able to end on a good note. Last week I wound up really sad (thanks again to those of you who talked me through what I'd missed) but I think the end of Undertale did not let me down and the community I was able to enjoy it with added to the whole experience. It's a really special game. ♥ I'm really excited about my fan project idea, though I have to make sure I don't neglect the things I'm supposed to be doing in order to pull it off. But you'll probably hear more about that later. I do tend to finish the things I start. :)

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Yeah the sans stuff is super well hidden and I only know about it because of posts or videos here. But it's really cool! If you didn't want to play through the entire game again just yet there's videos out there and it's totally worth a watch.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Also, make sure you check out a video of someone 100% dodging the credits bullet hell

Goose! on
  • Options
    laurentheflutelaurentheflute Leader of The Returners AustinRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Also, make sure you check out a video of someone 100% dodging the credits bullet hell

I refuse to believe this is humanly possible. (Although it makes more sense than trying to touch every name, which is what I thought you were supposed to do.)

Bullet hells are hard. :(

I got self-conscious about having a self-promotional signature. Now I don't have one anymore. HI, I'M LAUREN, I PLAY MUSIC AND VIDEO GAMES
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    There's a great Easter egg that comes with it that solves one of the things you kept going back for.

Goose! on
  • Options
    There's a great Easter egg that comes with it that solves one of the things you kept going back for.

Now I want to try again, and I can't, because
    I can't break what remains of Asriel in Flowey now
    . Oh well! I guess I'll just never know :)

• Options
    (you can actually back up your save fyi)

• Options

That's what youtube's for! It's a neat little video

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

At this point you don't need to completely reset the game to try again - reloading just puts you back in front of the door to the outside and you can keep trying the credits again. (and backtrack there again if you succeed)

I haven't bothered myself though, because as much as I love this game I really can't be bothered to sit through the entire credits for every attempt.

• Options

I refuse to believe this is humanly possible. (Although it makes more sense than trying to touch every name, which is what I thought you were supposed to do.)

Bullet hells are hard. :(

If you really want to see "I can't believe this is humanly possible", you should check out the video of the no hit fight with
    omega flowey.
    It's ridiculous.

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    You know, in retrospect, I think that the way I came into Undertale enhanced it even more.
    See, I was given Undertale. And I had literally no idea what it was. As in, never seen a screen of the damned thing. In fact, I was convinced it was another game, which I can't remember right now. I was really confused at the beginning, going "wait, I thought Undertale was that one point and click game with all the colors?" But well, I started it. The very beginning already caught my interest. Flowey sparked my hate instantly, the little jerk, and Toriel made me go from "oh you fucking flower" to "awwww" in zero point six second flat. Then I found out I could NOT kill guys. Which was great! Why would I kill these things when NOT killing them wasn't even harder? You'd have to be a jerk to do it. I have always generally tried to minimize casualties in games as much as possible (I am on record going through Prototype stages only causing, like, two civilian deaths, and you kill people in that game if you so much as bump into them, so believe me, it takes a lot of careful maneuvering).

But not knowing the whole "you don't have to kill anyone" tagline, I absolutely expected the game to pull that away from me at some point. I kept going on, falling in love with Toriel. And then, bam. The fight. I spent some time there, dodging and never realizing she stops attacking (I am actually vaguely decent at Bullet Hell games), mashing talk. But in the end, I concluded that this was it. This was when the game was going to be an asshole and force me to kill the adorable character it just made me love, because pretty much every game that exists has bosses you simply CAN'T nonlethal. So I struck, mostly feeling annoyed at the whole thing and false choice and videogames in general. And as she died, she died giving me advice. And asking me to take care and be good. I could feel my heart going "crack".

Something in my twenty-five-years-playing-videogames brain, though, started shouting at me that this wasn't the scene of a forced character death. It couldn't be. It had to be a "fuck you player for being an asshole and killing this character" scene. Had I missed something? I immediately went to google, trying to avoid spoilers, but with one question. "Can Toriel be saved". The instant I saw yes, closed google, restarted, and went to try to find it. And I did. And then Flowey berated me for going back. And that's when I realized that this game was going to work a little different, and that my choices were going to have actual weight. And that the things I did still happened even if I reset.

I would probably have done a rather pacifistic run in general either way. That's just how I play, as I said. But there might have been a death or two more out of sheer now knowing what to do.

But Toriel had asked me to be good with her dying breath. And so you better believe I was going to try my best to fucking BE good, even if it killed me.

Thankfully, that wasn't necessary because the only fight in the game that was hard was Undyne. I also spent an unreasonable amount of time in that fight going WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME and ending up dying a few times out of sheer exhaustion and thousand cuts :P .

Let me guess
    You didn't realize you could run away at first?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    (you can actually back up your save fyi)

Yeah, but if you do that it's functionally no different than overwriting it. As soon as you reach that level of abstraction, you're admitting that the characters aren't really "real" and that your data has no intrinsic meaning. Preserving your save file isn't actually about the save file itself, it's a philosophical thing.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    @MikeLL did some alphys faces and colored his undyne faces from before

tumblr_o2cs82MLzx1r41zlxo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_o2cs82MLzx1r41zlxo2_500.png

• Options
    @MikeLL did some alphys faces and colored his undyne faces from before

tumblr_o2cs82MLzx1r41zlxo2_500.png
    how could he not do the smug face

• Options