Options

Happy Rex Manning [chat]!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    ronya wrote: »

Argle fucking bargle.

There's the fucking rage I needed to get through my day.

I hate that these geese are the face of my profession.

Sleep on
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    I am telling you, there is going to be a revolution

cant come soon enough imo

Which side of the wall will your back be deebs

Dude, you've seen my shitty apartment. Of course I will stand with the proletariat

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/e76nW

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    12688332_10156604344440311_5157276099952756431_n.jpg?oh=7e505a4c4cc5a50068b6cdfd51876a21&oe=572B4141

@BeNarwhal a friend posted this on Facebook - can you confirm the accuracy?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Which side of the wall will your back be deebs

Dude, you've seen my shitty apartment. Of course I will stand with the proletariat

EKHSHEs.jpg

ftfy

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular

I don't know if that's a noun or a verb

Well done

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

Argle fucking bargle.

Maybe if he doesn't like seeing pain and despair, he should do something about it, like help to ease that pain and despair?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    this CV template that I'm supposed to fill out is prepared for someone who is much, much more qualified than I am; such a person would not be here having to fill out such a template, I feel

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    12688332_10156604344440311_5157276099952756431_n.jpg?oh=7e505a4c4cc5a50068b6cdfd51876a21&oe=572B4141

Is that one the the xkcd Guy's?

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

Argle fucking bargle.

Maybe if he doesn't like seeing pain and despair, he should do something about it, like help to ease that pain and despair?

Sounds like he should at the very least organize a hackathon or brainstorming session about ways the tech community can contribute to the creation of more affordable housing/shelters/access to mental health care.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited February 2016

As it's SF they'll try to get people to do the actual revolution part by using task rabbit.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Hello fellow proles! Why yes what a lovely prole day we are having, wot wot. Tell me, which way to the nearest bougie barbecue?

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    there are people who genuinely feel that the homeless or otherwise, um, burdened with disorderly lifestyles should just ... go away. Somewhere else. Where it might be better for them, but that's not really the important part.

very few such people speak publicly on this, at least in a Westernized society; it is much more common in e.g., certain circles of Latin America, afaik.

a lot of people are willing to vote (with their feet or otherwise) on this, however; this is the core of white flight and gated communities. That we see gentrification is, I think, a sign that an attempt to assert political control over the cities is coming, and most attempts will be more subtle, and more persistent, than the unfortunate Mr. Justin Keller.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    his big mistake was messaging - if he packaged what he wanted in a less self-centered way and more progressive way, there'd be no issue

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Man, last night my husband told me a really depressing story about a patient who had a good social support network and high socioeconomic class and was very easily treatable for this and other reasons but who got really, really fucked over by the completely shitty hospital he's rotating at this month, and who might be dead because of it. I am thinking about it today and it is upsetting.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    heading to work this morning, i walked out the door, leaving the coffee on the counter again

this never would have happened if we'd abolish the wage system

revolution, brothers and sisters

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I wonder what could even be done about the homeless problem in San Francisco. More shelters? It's not really economically feasible to put up shelters where the homeless are, and you're not gonna get them to move out of the city because they'd starve outside of an urban environment. Not like the burbs are a hell of a lot cheaper or less in demand in the Bay Area. Lots of the homeless are mentally ill so even given free housing, they'd also need light supervision and free medical care. We decided a while ago as a society that sanitariums aren't the best idea.

Guaranteed minimum income plus make vagrancy a crime maybe?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    fashionable walkable neighbourhoods are fundamentally ungateable, so something's got to give

and the activists are on to hostile architecture now, there's nowhere to hide

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I think we are in an interesting place politically, right now.

People in power are very, very cautious to brand the kind home grown militias that we see popping up as terrorists.

And there is definitely a growing population of disaffected people who feel they are fighting a losing battle re: making ends meet.

Eventually these two groups are going to meet and reach some kind of critical mass and bad things will likely happen.

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

People in power are very, very cautious to brand the kind home grown militias that we see popping up as terrorists.

And there is definitely a growing population of disaffected people who feel they are fighting a losing battle re: making ends meet.

Eventually these two groups are going to meet and reach some kind of critical mass and bad things will likely happen.

the former despise the latter tho

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    there are people who genuinely feel that the homeless or otherwise, um, burdened with disorderly lifestyles should just ... go away. Somewhere else. Where it might be better for them, but that's not really the important part.

If we're being honest, this is most people. No one wants to walk by people camping out on their doorstep or to deal with crazy on their block after dark. it's a shame that their isn't the political will to do more for the homeless in San Fransisco of all fucking places.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    And my other coworker has called in sick.

• Options
    I wonder what could even be done about the homeless problem in San Francisco. More shelters? It's not really economically feasible to put up shelters where the homeless are, and you're not gonna get them to move out of the city because they'd starve outside of an urban environment. Not like the burbs are a hell of a lot cheaper or less in demand in the Bay Area. Lots of the homeless are mentally ill so even given free housing, they'd also need light supervision and free medical care. We decided a while ago as a society that sanitariums aren't the best idea.

The problem is, sanitariums are not necessarily a bad idea. You can imagine a mental health-focused place that is actually a nice place to be, for example, Baltimore's Sheppard Pratt, which is very pricey and has good doctors and nice architecture and reasonable treatment plans. Of course, this costs money; without much money, or with bad administration, you end up with places like my husband is working at right now, where people *have died* in the hospital (mental patients, not medical patients, mind you) because of total administration failures and terrible staff, or have come out of the hospital doing worse than they were previously, or have left AMA because it was so hellish.

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

'You will not go to space today' or 'you are having a very bad problem and you will not go to space today' are phrases that are still very much in use in my household when describing most types of failure.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular

@Donkey Kong last time I looked into it the solution was really just build them a home, no strings. It's cheaper in the long run. Obviously this isn't viable in areas with real high property values? Maybe just giant towering apartment buildings or something. Cities are basically impossible to change once they're populated I think.

sig.gif
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

I think you are reading partisanship where there isn't any, at least not necessarily. I would cite the recent Oregon occupation as an example of what one of these groups might look like.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

It's a print of an xkcd poster. One of my faves.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The last PA comic is great.

What all parents should aspire to.

Gotta dunk on them kids so they can learn.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    To be perfectly honest, the level and visibility of homelessness in the Bay Area was pretty off-putting when I visited. Boston has a similar homeless population. There are no tent cities because the state has a right-to-shelter law that allegedly costs infinite dollars but stops the homeless from being dead in this climate. It also makes employment much more possible; about a quarter of boston's homeless are employed.

The downside is that the program is often accused of sweeping the problem under the rug.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    finally my youtube ad changed from some disney movie with a sloth at the dmv

new one is anti-smoking? it has funny cats so i'm on board

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

• Options
    edited February 2016

I think you are reading partisanship where there isn't any, at least not necessarily. I would cite the recent Oregon occupation as an example of what one of these groups might look like.

Those groups are pretty small and insignificant though. Oregon was just two dozen armed shitbirds acting like assholes and a bunch more throwing $20 at their gofundme while the Federal Govt indulged them.
    There are tens of millions in the economically fucked bucket. The latter doesn't need the former. They need to group some pitchforks.

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Deebaser on
  • Options
    Mr. Puppies

hey stacey i looked for your name in the pax east dinner thread

i must be going blind because i didn't see it

sig.gif
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    And my other coworker has called in sick.

thrice the work, thrice the paycheck?

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

You are going to dunk on our dogs aren't you?

• Options

I don't think the Oregon lot are at all representative of the kind of disaffected person who matters here

(I am consciously discounting the white working class, because the lower third is everywhere and always irrelevant, even during civil wars)

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

If we're being honest, this is most people. No one wants to walk by people camping out on their doorstep or to deal with crazy on their block after dark. it's a shame that their isn't the political will to do more for the homeless in San Fransisco of all fucking places.

It doesn't help that half the West has been exporting their homeless to San Fran for ages

• Options

Donkey Kong last time I looked into it the solution was really just build them a home, no strings. It's cheaper in the long run. Obviously this isn't viable in areas with real high property values? Maybe just giant towering apartment buildings or something. Cities are basically impossible to change once they're populated I think.

You build them city apartments and suddenly you have a nightmare on you hands of demand outstripping supply, astronomical cost, and the homeless subletting their free homes due to market pressure.

You put something up in the burbs or even worse, in a rural area, and you've built a nice coffin in which to stuff a person with no means to live. The dense urban environment was making their life possible.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Mr. Puppies

hey stacey i looked for your name in the pax east dinner thread

i must be going blind because i didn't see it

Plz my father is Mister Puppies

you may call me power

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

You are going to dunk on our dogs aren't you?

My dog kept humping my wife and I. We asked our trainer and he said "he's just trying to show his dominance. You need to be the dominant ones so he'll know you're the alpha."

So... we should hump the dog?

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
This discussion has been closed.