As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch] Release: May 24th / Animated shorts coming this Spring!

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    I just hope there's going to be a space in which doing dumb shit is accepted, like maybe a straight TDM mode. A lot of the fun in TF2 if you're not being hyper eSports is running around beating people to death with a piece of ham; being able to go into TDM to see how well you can do with Battle Mercy or CoD Widowmaker could be a lot of fun.

I don't think Overwatch is your game for that tbh. In a dedicated server setting you can find a server where everybody is just fucking around. In 6v6 matchmaking you're going to get matched with teammates who want to play for real and you goofing off is going to ruin their game. In that sense it is more similar to a MOBA. You could form a gimmick strat 6-man if you want, but you're going to get your butts kicked hard.

Zek on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I just hope there's going to be a space in which doing dumb shit is accepted, like maybe a straight TDM mode. A lot of the fun in TF2 if you're not being hyper eSports is running around beating people to death with a piece of ham; being able to go into TDM to see how well you can do with Battle Mercy or CoD Widowmaker could be a lot of fun.

I don't think Overwatch is your game for that tbh. In a dedicated server setting you can find a server where everybody is just fucking around. In 6v6 matchmaking you're going to get matched with teammates who want to play for real and you goofing off is going to ruin their game. In that sense it is more similar to a MOBA. You could form a gimmick strat 6-man if you want, but you're going to get your butts kicked hard.

Hence why I'm asking for TDM instead of just "unranked objective" mode :p

Because if you're super serious about winning TDM you're probably in the wrong mode.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I'm not sure we'll ever get that mode, or at least not for a long time. Blizzard generally doesn't really understand that game modes that aren't objective-based are a thing that can exist.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Last game of tonight I decided to have some fun. We were on Gibraltar offense. I was like, offensive bastion.

4 golds and one silver later with a potg I am like hee hee offense bastion. It shouldn't work at all anyway. But there are still new folks and it was a payload mission which means I can set up on the payload spraying and praying the enemy team.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Came up against an all-Roadhog team lastnight. I don't know whether they were grouped or just pugs but either way it was pretty rad, and they stomped us on the first checkpoint by catching us totally off-guard.

I am 100% in favour of all-X cheese comps.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmm...just wondering, do you think this game will have legs on console? I prefer a pad to mkb...but I don't know if competitive shooters can last more than a year on console.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    exis wrote: »
    Came up against an all-Roadhog team lastnight. I don't know whether they were grouped or just pugs but either way it was pretty rad, and they stomped us on the first checkpoint by catching us totally off-guard.

I am 100% in favour of all-X cheese comps.

My favorite of this so far was when I was on an all Symettra team. We had sentries EVERYWHERE. They couldn't even get to the payload to start it moving before they were obliterated from every angle. It was glorious.

Conversely we went up against an all Hanzo team once. Probably one of the fastest maps I've been on, we just walked the payload up constantly to the end. The constant stream of Hanzo Ults was amusing, and it was my first game as Reaper....it was like fish in a barrel. Got play of the game easily and an absurd kill count (dropped down on 4 of them in a corner with my ult). One of my teammates made sure I knew that I would typically face firmer opposition as reaper than that.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Hmmm...just wondering, do you think this game will have legs on console? I prefer a pad to mkb...but I don't know if competitive shooters can last more than a year on console.

No.

No shooter that isn't CoD or Battlefield can last on consoles in the current environment, and even those games have a new iteration every year or so.

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote: »

No.

No shooter that isn't CoD or Battlefield can last on consoles in the current environment, and even those games have a new iteration every year or so.

well like

splatoon is still around, isn't it?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    JackdawGinJackdawGin Engineer New YorkRegistered User regular

No.

well like

And Destiny seems to still be pretty big

• Options
    Oh god, this is reminding me of a huge fiasco that went down in the "gaming facebook page community" a few months ago where a prominent page made a big rantpost about how Splatoon is a "necessary shooter" because every shooter in the past decade has been nothing but CoD/Battlefield clones or something like that. They were laughed out of the community for months for that post.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Not to get too far off topic but Splatoon is the FPS that parents can be happy having their kids play. It's not all blood, guts, and murder everyone while someone is suggesting you to have coitus with your two dads. It's literally paintball, where your main target is the floor. I think it fits in nicely as an entry into the FPS genre, especially for a younger audience. It's fun, stylistic, and completely unique.

That being said, I'm not sure if Overwatch will fit in on console so well. It's really a wait and see. I've already preordered on PC and I know a lot of my friends are getting PC too, but that's definitely a PC crowd targeted survey.

• Options
    edited March 2016
    JackdawGin wrote: »

No.

well like

Fair points both but I don't think those games are the best comparisons.

Splatoon is kind of catering to a niche audience, with an almost completely non-violent aesthetic, on the console with the smallest install base, where CoD and BF don't exist.

Destiny has the pseudo-MMORPG elements to keep people playing (and even so according to many people outside this forum it's teetering on the edge of death anyway).

Overwatch is coming from a highly PC-centric developer in Blizzard, and all of its distinctive elements are inspired by games that were mostly or entirely PC-centric (TF2 and the MOBA genre).

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    JackdawGin wrote: »

No.

well like

Fair points both but I don't think those games are the best comparisons.

Splatoon is kind of catering to a niche audience, with an almost completely non-violent aesthetic, on the console with the smallest install base, where CoD and BF don't exist.

Destiny has the pseudo-MMORPG elements to keep people playing (and even so according to many people outside this forum is teetering on the edge of death anyway).

I don't know if CoD is on WiiU, but I played the hell out of WaW, MW:Reflex and MW3 on the original Wii, and the playerbase was still there until the Wii's online connectivity was shut down. It's not like Nintendo fans are totally cut off from that stuff.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Aren't they planning on cross-platform play? Aim assist for console peeps? I swear I heard that.

• Options
    SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    No way they would allow cross play for that very reason, would just piss off both sides

PSN SeGaTai
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I don't know if CoD is on WiiU, but I played the hell out of WaW, MW:Reflex and MW3 on the original Wii, and the playerbase was still there until the Wii's online connectivity was shut down. It's not like Nintendo fans are totally cut off from that stuff.

The last CoD that came out for a Nintendo console was Ghosts for the Wii U in 2013.

World at War and Reflex were the better part of a decade ago.

I think it's safe to say that most of the people who own Nintendo consoles but want to play CoD/BF-style games scratch that itch by also owning an XB/PS or playing them on the PC, and that most people who game exclusively on Nintendo consoles are not the type of people who want to play CoD/BF-style shooters.

This is a tangent now though. The point I'm making is that the type of games that laid the groundwork for a game like Overwatch to exist have never really taken off on consoles. You can tell a PC gamer "Overwatch is TF2 with a big cast of MOBA-style heroes" and most of them will understand what you mean. People who game exclusively on consoles don't have those reference points.

Ironically I could actually see Overwatch, with its somewhat more zany atmosphere, doing better on Wii U where the grimdark serious business 360 noscope shooters don't have that entrenched dominance, than on the XB1/PS4... if a Wii U version existed.

Gaslight on
  • Options

Oh god.

Does this mean I'm old?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular

Oh god.

Does this mean I'm old?

Yes. You are now Soldier 76 levels of old.

Your gold medals are in the mail.

488W936.png
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Back during the open beta weekend (rip) I played exclusively with a 360 controller and had a grand time. Not sure if that helps with the console question, but if it's just a control preference the option is there.

It plays great with a controller; obviously it's not optimal but then neither am I.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Aren't they planning on cross-platform play? Aim assist for console peeps? I swear I heard that.

Part of me would love to see the glorious, glorious mess this would be but I haven't heard of any such plans.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    I wonder if those animated shorts were part of the story stuff for the original MMO.

They look like they're gonna be really neat though. The designs and lore of this game is so much fun.

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Part of me would love to see the glorious, glorious mess this would be but I haven't heard of any such plans.

I'm interested to see what sort of balance changes they will have to make between the two versions.

Reading all the things the MNC devs had to do to change the game balance for when it was ported to the PC made it sound like there were a lot of abilities that had to be particularly balanced between the ports. Like having to lower the power of the Sniper for the PC as well as the Tank due to the time to turn being so much quicker for KBAM it made his charge ability far more powerful than it was balanced for on the console. All the stuff they wrote about developing MNC for both platforms was pretty fascinating.

• Options

Nah.

In fact Kaplan reiterated this the other day.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20042655632#9
    Kaplan wrote:

PC, Xbox One and PS4 players will all play in their own separate ecosystems.

On PC, your friends list will be populated by your Battle.net account list. On XBOX One, you will be part of the Xbox Live network and on PS4 your friends list will be derived from the Playstation Network.

Unfortunately, the three do not overlap and are completely separate.

• Options
    sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dear Blizzard,
    Game works fine, please release it already so I can party up with people and not rely on non-communicative pubbies.

Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I haven't played in almost two weeks due to a nearly consecutive string of 20+ losses and The Division coming out, but has the matchmaking and quality of matches improved any? I know Blizzard is aiming for everyone to have a near 50% W/L ratio, but long strings of losses really killed my interest in playing.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    It's evened out a bit.

I felt like the most recent 2 beta waves were a bit larger and really skewed the matchmaking. I'm sure it will be just as hectic for a bit at release. Honestly, the time between when it came back in Feb and the next big wave I was consistently having great games. And that was always being grouped with 1-2 folks.

• Options
    My wife is out of town for the next 5 days, so now would be a really nice time to get a beta invite, he said off-handedly into the void.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    As someone trying to scratch this itch by playing Battlefront I'd much rather take the unbalanced teams in Overwatch.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Blizzard really has a fantastic animation department. I am sometimes very sad they don't do full movies.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    Blizzard has top notch artists and C-tier writers.

It's probably very much for the best that their cinematic offerings are limited to a few minutes at a time.

• Options
    Scosglen wrote: »

It's probably very much for the best that their cinematic offerings are limited to a few minutes at a time.

I feel like I could only tolerate Tracer for a few minutes at a time regardless.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

That, and Chris Metzen insisting on trying to be a voice actor. He has three voices: Chris Metzen, Chris Metzen with a cold, and Chriz Metzen with a bucket on his head.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Except plenty of voice actors sound the same in their roles? Not like he claims to be the greatest ever. Unless he does?

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Except plenty of voice actors sound the same in their roles? Not like he claims to be the greatest ever. Unless he does?

Chris Metzen with a bucket on his head is his best one, really.

• Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    I'd totally do voice acting for a video game that I'm kinda in charge of

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

That, and Chris Metzen insisting on trying to be a voice actor. He has three voices: Chris Metzen, Chris Metzen with a cold, and Chriz Metzen with a bucket on his head.

He's like M. Night Shamladong - he has to inject himself into everything he writes.

SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can't wait until they start putting out the narrative shorts for Overwatch and we find out who is corrupted

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have said it 500 times and I will say it 500 more, the problems with Metzen's writing/everything else are because they have him as the main writer/lore guy for EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEIR IPS.

It's fucking insane to ask someone to do that. And if he's pushing for that, it's equally insane that they're letting him do it.

This discussion has been closed.