As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Post-[Steam]-Sale Recovery Thread

19495969798100»

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    So that's where all those G&T steam gifts were really coming from.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Can we petition to have the list of games bought to be released to the public?

You know Hunie Pop is on there

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »

We spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than a measly $1300 on gifting games

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular

Reading this, he claims his son was making the purchases with a credit card associated with his campaign funds.
    and he's trying to get steam to reverse/refund them.
    Sounds dumb enough to be true, though equally plausible that he's just blaming his kid.

OH! Yeah, me too! My no good kids bought all these Steam games I'm not going to live long enough to play, not me!

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    TheStig wrote: »

We spend waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than a measly $1300 on gifting games

Also on the subject of that train DLC there was a recent adventure with a Sir Carcass and his child who did not understand consequences so much but did understand that clicking the shiny green button gets stuff. That wasn't the adventure though, that was Sir Carcass trying to deal with Steam Support. It ended in his banishment for several months, doomed to wander the wastes of Steam with naught but what he already owned. No buying, no gifting, no receiving gifts...well actually about that last one...

Okay, Sir Carcass could not actually ACCEPT gifts given to him, but they could be sent to him. So he'd get that little green envelope in his Steam browser showing him he's got pending gifts. Steam thread noticed a number, someone made it bigger, Steam thread giggled with glee, and then the thread embarked on a journey to get that number over 100 so when Sir Carcass got his account back last October he had triple digits worth of gifts and months of anticipation.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular

Reading this, he claims his son was making the purchases with a credit card associated with his campaign funds.
    and he's trying to get steam to reverse/refund them.
    Sounds dumb enough to be true, though equally plausible that he's just blaming his kid.

OH! Yeah, me too! My no good kids bought all these Steam games I'm not going to live long enough to play, not me!

Hey Gabe, seriously, I don't know how he managed to purchase all of the Crusader Kings II DLC and put over 800 hours on it!

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    IronKnuckle's GhostIronKnuckle's Ghost Registered User regular
    Wyvern wrote: »
    I don't think I minded the gunplay in Infinite, though I would describe a lot of it as "just okay". I more had a problem with enemies - basically every special dude seemed a lot more bullet spongey than I'd like and never stayed interesting for the entire encounter.
    BioShock Infinite, to me, is basically a book where the first thirty pages are pretty good, and the last fifty pages are pretty good, and the middle three hundred pages are literally the sentence "And then a hundred cops flowed into the room from every orifice and Booker shot themt all" printed over and over and over again.

It doesn't really matter to me if the gunplay is average or a bit better than average or a bit worse than average. I just don't CARE. I don't want to walk into another room and then shoot another throng of cops. I have no interest in playing out that scenario again! And yet it is the only thing that ever happens.

The worst part is those rare moments where you walk into some real-ass environment with actual people walking around and talking to each other and living their lives, and you think things are finally looking up, and then you blink and everyone is instantly gone and the area is instantly flooded with more cops than the area could even hypothetically have hidden.

I just wish I lived in the alternate timeline where BioShock Infinite was a game where Booker goes to the Colombia, meets Elizabeth, they explore the city together for like four hours, and ONLY THEN do you arrive at a scenario where where Booker abruptly has to violently murder somebody. And the player and Elizabeth are both seeing it for the first time, and it brings out this huge tonal shift, and then you explore how Booker and Elizabeth's relationship changes as a result for a little while and then it's the endgame stretch. You could have told this whole story with three, maybe four people dying, and the whole thing would have been much more powerful for it, and it feels like the only reason we got stuck with the game that was actually made was because Ken Lavine couldn't think of anything for the player to do for seven hours other than shoot ten thousand faceless nobodies in a bunch of lifeless arenas. (Some of the interviews with him are deeply disappointing. I think there was one at some point where he all but said, "Of course you spend the whole time shooting people. It's a video game. What else can you do in video games besides shoot people?")

Not only is this an excellent post and review of Bioshock Infinite, it's also, I think, somewhat indicative of a generational shift in games. In the BI example, and Levine's comment, it's clear that the game received a great deal of content padding via inserting combat. The most interesting part of BI is the environment, and the otherworld-ness of Columbia, and its citizens. But the vast majority of the game is fighting dudes, for reasons that aren't particularly explained well. And while there are some interesting guns and some interesting abilities, BI quickly devolves into moving from place to place and shooting everything that moves, seemingly because nobody could come up with any other activity.

It's part of why I really like the rise of indie games, and narrative-driven experiences. Things like Gone Home, or Firewatch, or a dozen others are all about finding out about characters or situations or places. They only last for a few hours, and perhaps are only played through a time or two, and cost not that much, and it's fine. It's fine, game producers. You can write a good story and wrap a game around it, and not spend 100 million dollars.

• Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    So I just started Dragon's Dogma and I'm trying to figure out how to tell what time of day it is in game, can't find a clock or anything in the UI or menus so I google it. A helpful post on the gamefaq's forums explains how to tell the time:

"face north & look at the sky during the day,pretty much tells you what time of day it is.
    at night huddle in an abandoned building & wait for the morning sun to vanquish the horrible night."

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Not steam but

Hmm, considering getting overwatch

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Not steam but

Hmm, considering getting overwatch

It's fun with friends and reminds me a lot of TF2.

I'm not in the beta for it right now but got into the stress test for it. Outside of some minor odd design choices (20.8 tick rate why?) it's rock solid.

Actually not being in the beta for it I've kinda been itching to play TF2 and redownloaded it the other day but haven't booted it up yet.

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Thinking of getting the origins editions since I play a lot of the other games too

• Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I fell off of TF2 ages ago, but I've always been on the lookout for something to scratch that itch, and Overwatch absolutely seems to fit the bill. I'm definitely super excited for it.

This discussion has been closed.