As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Work sixteen [Job] and what do you get...

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    But it's not that painful and the grodyness is possibly because I've been putting neat Savlon liquid on it repeatedly and I think it's messing the skin up.

Try to score some aloe vera ointment to help soften the skin up a bit; failing that, any lotion that has colloidal oatmeal will do wonders for any kind of dermatitis.

Sidenote: My original typo was der-ma-ti-tits which is unpleasant to think about but funny to spell.

• Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Smof, do you have a Clicks nearby? They have Epsom salts:

https://clicks.co.za/clicks_epsom-salt-b-p-100g/p/81147

Not much in a package because it looks like they market it as a constipation remedy, but that's the stuff we're talking about. Mix in bath-hot water in a basin, soak feet, say aaaah. (Last bit is optional.)

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    We have a couple of fairly decent pharmacies nearby. The issue is nearby is a 45 minute drive and I don't have a chance to go there until Tuesday.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    @Brovid Hasselsmof Eye drops. The type to kill things, or ear drops that do the same. My doctor recommended that when I had the same issue and procedure Darth Waiter had (toe buddies!).

Anyway, after soaking your foot and trying to gently massage the nail out, let it air dry and put some of those drops in there.. It will get in the cracks and take on the bacteria.

There's also the option suggested by the ROTC cadet in my dorm when I had this issue and fish that mofo out with some nail clippers or pliers.

The face you're making is the face I made, and I generally assumed for years afterwards that all white people were of a similar mindset as this young man. Turns out he was just special.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I had a really badly infected ingrown big toenail years ago when I was working for my dad

I dropped the corner of an 8' x 3' sheet of 25mm thick MDF plywood weighing about 60kg/130lb on it and broke the toe.

easily, undoubtedly the most painful thing I have ever experienced.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Update V: The Final Chapter

I gave a 'witness statement.' They're gonna fire him.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    The only thing I would be worried about is red lines beginning to spread up the leg - we had a guy in a patrol base get these after a cut in his leg, he ended up getting medevaced by helicopter.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Also Smof, ask around. Epsom Salts are like a staple Afrikaner home remedy for many things it isn't supposed to be so someone is almost certain to have some. Otherwise you can be almost 100% certain it will be available in a Dischem or Clicks Pharmacy.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    Update V: The Final Chapter

I gave a 'witness statement.' They're gonna fire him.

The most appropriate use of witness me ever

• Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    I have a new mid level assistant manager, and I don't dislike him, but he already grates me a little bit.

He's fond of pretending we're all still in the military, which is problematic for me because I was never in the military to begin with. It's a little annoying to see him always use military time and refer to "tours of duty" and so forth. The primary mid level manager is new, and I don't know how to feel about him since he isn't here yet. He's got some big training elsewhere and wont be back in town for a month.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    We just had out last book club author talk. The lady was in Philadelphia and I had to fight my urges to ask her how accurate Always Sunny is.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Just had an enraging conversation with my work colleagues. Now I'm all worked up and anxious and angry. And dreading this meeting I have to attend on Saturday even more. Weee.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Just had an enraging conversation with my work colleagues. Now I'm all worked up and anxious and angry. And dreading this meeting I have to attend on Saturday even more. Weee.

Show them your toenail in revenge. Right before dinner.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Good news! I won't have to reschedule my dentists appointment on monday. Because I didn't get the job.

Oh well, just getting an interview is a step forward. Back to the grind.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Good news! I won't have to reschedule my dentists appointment on monday. Because I didn't get the job.

That is a really lousy consolation prize. :bro:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Librarian Update: Managed to move shelves around in the Manga section so that I could add and extra one to each row. That section was getting far too crowded. Next school year I'll probably weed any series that haven't been checked out.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Smof, soak your foot in hot water to help clean out the infection; since you don't have epsom salts, regular table salt can fit the bill partway to help kill any bacteria on your skin but it will leave the actual ingrown part dry and chapped. For that, use an antibacterial ointment and keep it wrapped with gauze and then athletic tape.

I had a really bad ingrown toenail in seventh grade that ended up infected for a sustained period of time because my mother wouldn't take me to the doctor; I ended up in a podiatrist's office ...

(spoilered for gross)
    and having my toe anesthetized, both sides of the nail clipped down to the root and the infected area irrigated.

While my right toenail is permanently narrower than the left, I was perfectly fine within one hour of the anesthetic wearing off and the infection was null and void. Keep in mind, this infection was one I had for months without antibiotics or any kind of medical treatment at all and everything still turned out ok. You should be fine when you can get into town and grab the epsom salts and a little antibacterial ointment after your visit to the doctor. Just keep in mind that they're probably going to snip your nail.

On the plus side, you will have a really neat battle scar from your time chasing leopards in Africa.

I had the near exact same thing happen to my left big toe!
    Only
    the first place I went to was the local childrens hospital, and they didn't do enough in the way of anaesthetizing, so I was understandably fidgeting a lot throughout the procedure, and I guess the doctor took 'pity' on me and rushed to finish?
    Turned out he didn't fully cauterize the root, so the nails started growing back and turned out to be super painful. This second time we went to a private clinic where I was reasonably panicking, and they did two separate shots of anaesthetic and I was just amazed at how I didn't feel anything when they went in and cut out the nail sides and fully cauterized the root.
    The big toe on my left foot now has a rectangular nail.

Psykoma on
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    I thought of an upside to my work drama: I now have my own private bathroom, two stalls + urinal, two sinks, and unless a visitor comes in, no potential mess from anyone but me

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    I know asking medical advice of randoms on the internet is probably dumb, but I'm not getting to a doctor until Tuesday at earliest, and I know some people here are knowledgeable in medical/pharmacological stuff

Spoilered for ickyness I guess and also irrelevance to a job thread, though to me everything is kind of work related because I live at work
    so I have this stupid toe I have mentioned before. Lost the nail, which has been growing back and now gone ingrown and gotten infected. I was just treating it with antiseptic and it got a bit better, but now has gotten worse. Bad enough that I think maybe I should get it looked at.

I can get to a doctor on Tuesday maybe and I'm guessing they'll give me antibiotics, but I already have all these doxycycline tablets that I was taking as an antimalarial until I stopped bothering. Apparently doxycycline isn't ideal for staph infections but can be somewhat effective. So I was thinking of taking them at least until I get to the doctor because I don't want septiciemia and horrible toe death. So my question is will taking less effective antibiotics somehow make the situation worse than if I didn't take them at all?

A few more things to do prior to seeing the doc. Don't take the AB's as others have said, drugs that aren't tailored to the specific bacteria can do more harm than good. Keep the infected area clean and dry, don't sleep in socks, make sure your socks are as clean as you can get them every day(no recycling). Take a permanent marker and draw a line/border where the redness ends and your normal skin color starts. Take a picture of the toe every day, re-mark with the pen if the site is growing/expanding. Rate of spread(if applicable) is helpful information for providers. Rapid spread of red is concerning as is fever and other signs or symptoms of a generalized infection.

I see the worst of the worst which leads me to respond with more gusto than many of my peers, take the above with a grain of salt.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I know vinegar works for toe fungus, is that a thing for infections as well? it's acidic so most things can't survive it

• Options
    ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    I know vinegar works for toe fungus, is that a thing for infections as well? it's acidic so most things can't survive it

The problem with stuff like that(which includes antibacterial soaps, alcohol, iodine, hydrogen peroxide, etc) is that you kill the good and the bad indiscriminately which impairs healing and can lead to even worse stuff. Simple soap and water suffice for basic first aid, best to leave the rest to onsite medical professionals.

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Housing market is insane right now.

Keeping me nearly start to finish busy at work. I'll certainly be jumping into the deep end at my new position.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Finally saw brother after the good news yesterday and much sleeping last night.

Fist bumped and he revealed that he did think this work was worth all this money. I pointed out that perhaps he had leveled up and now his time was worth this rate?

I also took the time to remind him about the time he needed my help but ignored me every time I pointed out the solution and it took the other brother practically dragging him over to see the article that had exactly what he needed.

At this point he asked if I was going to keep milking this. I then pointed out how often he and middle brother ignored my money advice that proved to be right.

I also showed him my facebook wall where he had been tagged in a Jadin Smith article.

It appears he's my bro's clone.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    That one job in Oregon City contacted me last week after I told them that the pay was horrid and I couldn't possibly do the job without losing money. Then their producer contacted me asking what it would take to make it work. I gave him the numbers I found on temporary housing in the area and told them, basically, either pay me way more to cover that expense or just cover my temporary living. I've yet to hear back :V

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend, gods bless her, has been applying for new jobs for 8 months now.

She has her first interview set up for next Wednesday! Can we get a vicarious leamur in here?

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    how did they pick you out as american in the queue

were you wearing sneakers and a baseball cap

I was literally wondering this the whole time I was there.

I saw a group of three in the park today and when I was walking towards them I thought, "those guys sure look and move like Americans"

And as I walked past them, they were indeed talking to each other with American accents

True story

I know Americans are taller than average, but I didn't feel especially tall when I was in Europe. I'm also (for all intents and purpose) ethnically German and on at least one occasion did a double-take because I saw a guy who looked like my dad. There's just... something I guess, though. I also would generally get asked stuff in English before I even said anything.

Speaking as an American, I think Americans in general tend to have a bigger personal "bubble" than northern Europeans. We gesture more broadly and stand farther away from people. Europeans tend to carry themselves more compactly. At least, that's my theory. Europeans, does that sound plausible to you?

[obligatory fat American joke here]

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love it when the banks we service call in and want to speak to like 4 different departments and have a bunch of stuff done after 5. You guys close at 5, most of our people leave at 5. The only ones left here are the skeleton crew that monitors stuff and cancels cards

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    Bucketman wrote: »

She has her first interview set up for next Wednesday! Can we get a vicarious leamur in here?

I was unable to find a picture of a "vicarious lemur" as requested. Please accept this hastily ordained vicar lemur in its stead.
    otkbm2k8e4m5.png

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    It really endears me to the teachers when they lie to my face about how they know what they are doing when it comes to computer testing, and the issues they are having are our department's fault. (By extension my fault since I am the primary on setting up the software and network for the testing systems.)

How they rudely gesture in front of my face and cry "no, no it didn't work it gives us an error." while I am attempting to show them that no, if you follow the directions like you're supposed to, it works flawlessly.

Which is then followed up by questions which imply that I do not know how to do my job.

Yeah I love testing season.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Three people interviewed me at a local place, a nice charity over on another side of town. Two of them asked me whether i would be bored on the job, code for "you're probably overqualified." I think i gave them the right answer, though, because it would be a new position and i'd have challenges in terms of setting things up. This was the second round interview, though, and i think i demonstrated value with donor CRM databases, which is what i'd be working with there. I also stressed that my current position was only temp (which is something of a lie), so maybe that will help if they have the idea that they'll be the only ones on my radar. They *are* the only alternative to the opera where i'm working now, since there haven't been any good positions showing up on the local sites.

They'll call back next week, fingers crossed.

I get very nervous about my stuff at work because it's only temp-to-hire, the normal ups and downs at work make me afraid that every down is going to be held against me.

But hopefully in 2 weeks this nervousness will be gone from me forever, either because the charity hired me or the opera did.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Well, despite passing all the screenings and scoring #1 on the combined written test and interview, I didn't get the job with the local police department.

That was a whole lot of wasted time, multiple days going in to do documentation, fingerprinting, drug tests, and polygraphs.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Did the Gallup interview, and since the interviewer is trained not to give any feedback I really have no idea how well I did. I think I did well, but it depends a lot on whether I actually fit the personality they're looking for. The interviewer said it will take 48 hrs for the company I'm trying to get hired at to get the results.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

I was unable to find a picture of a "vicarious lemur" as requested. Please accept this hastily ordained vicar lemur in its stead.
    otkbm2k8e4m5.png

Is that what vicarious refers to? Guess I never thought about it.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Normally, I really like my job, but sometimes the people I work with are just....

I was alone in the back, except for a woman processing holds. She's not directly my supervisor, but is definitely somebody I'm expected to answer to.

The lady got to a particular DVD "On the Spectrum" and started laughing, then told me she found it funny because when her husband acts weird she jokes that he's got "high functioning aspergers" and is "on spectrum." She kept trying to get me to laugh with her.

And since I can't raise the issue of how completely awful that was at work, I'm posting here to get it out of my system.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I absolutely loathe when people casually talk like that and act like it's funny or matter of fact.
    How a person can be so confident that it won't come off offensive is beyond me.

edit: ohhh that makes more sense. I figured they were same age group.

BillyIdle on
    PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Options
    I just have to keep reminding myself that she's like, 50/60 years old, doesn't understand the implications of what she was saying, and was probably just trying to be friendly with me because generally she's really nice.

And when I go back to school this kind of crap will be much worse and happen more frequently. So this is like, good practice for that, I guess.

• Options
    Oh. Then it's like talking to my mother. Who manages to be at her most offensive when she's trying hardest to be nice and hip with the youngsters.

• Options
    Yup. Which in some ways is worse, because those people are either the worst about being corrected (since from their perspective, they were trying to be nice, and you just responded with criticisms,) or they're so overly apologetic YOU wind up apologizing.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    My sister's best friend has a trans parent, and my mother is desperate to be cool about the whole situation. It's uh. Well, let's just say thank god the best friend is generally just amused.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.