Options

Is this [chat] conference over yet? Yes, yes it is

• Options
    thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    As a famous man once said

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints/the sinners are much more fun.

And then Billy Joel stole it and turned it into a song. That animal!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Ugh I feel sick and lightheaded

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    What I want to know is why sushi places all do half price sushi constantly

Was some ancient sushi master a fan of very simple division?

It's a marketing gimmick.

Like have you ever seen a pair of jeans marked 1/2 off but they're still $40? They never actually sell them at $80, they just tell people it's half price so they think they're getting a deal.

I get that, sure. My mom loves to shop at Kohl's and this is their entire business model.

Why so ubiquitous with sushi, though

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Goddamn, my keg of English Brown ale is empty. It only took two weeks to go through five gallons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SqM1VX2qlc

The good news is that I've kept my carboys busy. The Dunkelweizen is pouring now and it's not bad. The IPA is now connected for carbonation. The Blonde Ale is 10 days from kegging.

I was expecting to have a reserve, but at this rate I'll be brewing every two weeks just to keep beer available. :P

That is more beer than I drink in a year, Jesus.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Neco wrote: »
    I've always been curious about this since I've only seen the first movie and stand alone, but being a full on android/cyborg the Major's gender was always murky to me especially in the movie.

From that I got the sense that the major was a man utilizing a female body.

Do the manga touch on this or am I just crazy.

I think it is at least hinted at some point or another, though I think it is intentionally left unclear.

Also, I dunno about in the manga, maybe GitS2? Never read that one.

The second season of the show had a flashback where the Major as a little girl who was involved in an accident. Her ghost was saved but her body was lost. She tried to convince the one-armed crane-folding kid that being a robot isn't so bad.

There was definitely... I think one of the older ghost in the shell titles that at one point hinted that possibly Motoko had maybe possibly been born male, though it was very slim. But pretty much none of the other GitS stuff has ever gone that route at all. Besides for Motoko the issue is less "Am I male or female?" and more "Does me having a gender at all even mean anything?"

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    Cinders wrote: »
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    @cinders do you ever wish that there was an alternate universe in addition to ours where after Deep Cuts the Knife ignored gender identity, income inequality, and increasingly atonal techno and focused solely on melancholy pop songs about being broken hearted

Yeah, sometimes. But at the same time, without that stuff, I feel like it wouldn't be the knife.

Like even Deep Cuts covered that stuff.

I ask because... I found a band that did so

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnexkG4RrtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2f6UbMnlq4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkQUOACVhB8

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hollywoo should reimagine Fist of the North Star as a story about epilepsy and dislexia

Isn't there already an American live-action adaptation of Fist of the North Star?

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Vast redesigns necessary before I fly that deathtrap with a person on it

VAST

More struts, more boosters.

more spoilers

more bass

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    I've always been curious about this since I've only seen the first movie and stand alone, but being a full on android/cyborg the Major's gender was always murky to me especially in the movie.

I think it is at least hinted at some point or another, though I think it is intentionally left unclear.

The second season of the show had a flashback where the Major as a little girl who was involved in an accident. Her ghost was saved but her body was lost. She tried to convince the one-armed crane-folding kid that being a robot isn't so bad.

There was definitely... I think one of the older ghost in the shell titles that at one point hinted that possibly Motoko had maybe possibly been born male, though it was very slim. But pretty much none of the other GitS stuff has ever gone that route at all. Besides for Motoko the issue is less "Am I male or female?" and more "Does me having a gender at all even mean anything?"

You can get reductive and say does having a human form mean anything? Stick the Major's brain in a Tachikoma and let it fight international crime.

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

To say yes would be an understatement

Edit: that gender as a concept is a thing that is explored not that the major is actually make

Ok this is literally making me feel ill

I thought you asked a completely different question from what you apparently asked? I dunno

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    cofafaefefeeeeeee

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    Death to America the great Satan etc etc etc

But who would you rather have a beer with? God? Or Satan?

I've long held the defects of creation reflection the sins of the creator. The arguments against the problem of evil are exceedingly uncompelling, and appropriately, when considering protagonists who people are not predisposed to give the benefit of the doubt, like Frankenstein, we see that it was his cruelty, his pride, his wickedness that made his "monster" a monster.

Beer with Satan any day, with the caveat that by "beer" I mean whiskey.

• Options
    Ok that's enough I am done thinking for tonight head hurts

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    @bowen

so did you hear about the Central Square superintendent's DWI?

@Trace is it still the same guy that got 18 DWIs over and over, Mr. Dorito/Dorrity or whatever?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Today I earned my ninth anniversary badge.

tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c.gif

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Winky wrote: »
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Also, are you guys upset that the Major isn't asian?

Because the Major is almost entirely robot, she can be whatever race she wants.

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

I mean, true.

And like, it raises other questions like "is it still going to be set in Japan?"

Because, that's, like, a sort of massive part of GitS.

I am very curious how they will show the Mega-city.

I know you can do it right. Hell we did it in the 80's with Blade Runner.

But I am worried we will get Vancouver being NYC or LA or something like that because again it is safe for Hollywood studios to think that way.

If it is set in the US I'm just not going to watch it

And I fucking love scarjo

I dunno, it being completely adapted to an american story would make the casting better imo

casting scarjo and putting it in japan would just make me turn it into a really weird Lost In Translation sequel in my head

If it was set in America the setting would lose so much, though.

Like, that was such a big part of it "here is Future Japan".

Future America would be a totally different place.

iirc we are not the good guys

Like at all.

It's like someone cranked up the Imperialism to 11

tbf one of the big genre twists that GitS stages on cyberpunk is that Motoko Kusanagi isn't one of the good guys either.

Section 11 cleans up government messes, often in questionably legal ways. Japan is still supposed to be a democracy but it's not a particularly liberal one.

America is depicted as pretty willing to be brutal... But not any more than every other government actor in that world.

GitS is cyberpunk where knowledge doesn't want to be free and where plucky young bands of revolutionaries get arrested by people like Motoko.

Kana on
  • Options
    the problem with hanging around the office pantry for social reasons: I now have two espressos in me and it isn't even noon yet

wheeeeeee

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Hollywoo should reimagine Fist of the North Star as a story about epilepsy and dislexia

Isn't there already an American live-action adaptation of Fist of the North Star?

:mad:

Pearls before swine I tell you what

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Let me be clear:

I did not drink all of that English Brown. I think I had a total of 6 pints of it. Maybe 8.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the problem with hanging around the office pantry for social reasons: I now have two espressos in me and it isn't even noon yet

wheeeeeee

good problem to have.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

You can get reductive and say does having a human form mean anything? Stick the Major's brain in a Tachikoma and let it fight international crime.

That's basically what's already been done to Motoko

Except the robot she lives in is designed to fit into human society

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    @skippydumptruck

http://www.afgsc.af.mil/Library/NametheB-21Bomber/NametheB-21SubmissionForm.aspx

You can name the B-21. May I suggest naming it the LeMay Was Batshit.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Wikipedia says Stand Alone Complex aired in 2005. The show's creators may have taken a not-so-optimistic view of America's place in the world.

• Options
    kedinik wrote: »

wheeeeeee

good problem to have.

my heart starts aching my hands keep shaking and you know, you know, you know

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, give a man a burger and he will complain about all the days that you gave him a stupid fish

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »

wheeeeeee

good problem to have.

my heart starts aching my hands keep shaking and you know, you know, you know

perhaps another espresso will soothe your aching heart.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    but what about fishburger

sig.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Ghost in the Shell was so unbelievable. Why would anybody ever choose to have their brain in something other than a Tachikoma?

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Today I earned my ninth anniversary badge.

tumblr_loal57yTbj1qbnd1c.gif

Wrong Doctor.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Coinage wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    simonwolf wrote: »
    Also, are you guys upset that the Major isn't asian?

Because the Major is almost entirely robot, she can be whatever race she wants.

While I do not entirely disagree - fictional worldview being a nebulous concept and all - I think this line of argument is uncomfortable at best when it amounts to justifying casting a white woman in a role that could easily have been taken by, as you say, any other race.

I mean, true.

And like, it raises other questions like "is it still going to be set in Japan?"

Because, that's, like, a sort of massive part of GitS.

I am very curious how they will show the Mega-city.

I know you can do it right. Hell we did it in the 80's with Blade Runner.

But I am worried we will get Vancouver being NYC or LA or something like that because again it is safe for Hollywood studios to think that way.

If it is set in the US I'm just not going to watch it

And I fucking love scarjo

I dunno, it being completely adapted to an american story would make the casting better imo

casting scarjo and putting it in japan would just make me turn it into a really weird Lost In Translation sequel in my head

Honestly, GITS can work pretty much everywhere. I think ScarJo is kinda mid tier in terms of casting (though am willing to be convinced otherwise), but a lot of GITS relies on other stuff, IMHO. We need the script writers and director to do a good job to a huge extent.

She's super high profile, hot, already trained for stuntwork, good actress.

Name someone at that profile with that skillset.

Honestly, I would rather casting reflect closer to the original, and I would prefer Japan. But I also want to see the movie get made so I'll allow for this kinda hollywood shit until I see a trailer that proves they have no idea what they're doing with the actual story.

I never watched the cartoon so I will just see the movie then tell nerds how wrong they are based on it.
    This except I won't watch the movie either.

Yeah tbh I'm just gonna read the movie wiki

• Options
    It's more that like, GitS tends to reflect a Japanese viewpoint of modernizing in a colonial world.

Nobody can really be trusted, everyone is trying to cut up the world into their own spheres, international human rights is respected only in name, and the Japanese government sucks and is probably going to get us into dumb wars but what can you do, there's no better alternative.

GitS's opinion on international affairs doesn't really fit the outlook of an American audience, where even when we recognize the fictitiousness of it we still tend to assume a position of privileged autonomy, innate hopefulness and prosperity and freedom for all.

Most American cyberpunk or other dystopian future-ist stuff still doesn't really pay any attention to international pressures. Things might suck now, maybe if it was produced in the '80s there's a lot more Japanese businessmen around, but the fundamental American-ness of the setting is still unquestioned, if that makes sense. GitS's Japanese cyberpunk future on the other hand is dominated by foreign and class pressures that cannot be ignored.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wikipedia says Stand Alone Complex aired in 2005. The show's creators may have taken a not-so-optimistic view of America's place in the world.

The series was based on the original manga, which came out in 1989-1990, and operated in a setting where World War 3 had already taken place and both the Soviets and the United States controlled more territory than in real-life.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Give a man a blanket and he will be warm for the night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Battleborn sucks @Sir Landshark couldn't even stick out one match

@elki faired little better

It sucks

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2016

To say yes would be an understatement

Edit: that gender as a concept is a thing that is explored not that the major is actually make

Ok this is literally making me feel ill

I thought you asked a completely different question from what you apparently asked? I dunno

@Elldren :( Crap. No I was just curious because iirc in the old movie Batou mentions the major picking a female body. It wasn't ever something I lost sleep over but I had just always wondered.

Like "What's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction" kind of wondered

Havelock2.0 on
    You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    You don't want to stick your brain in a tachikoma because they already have adorable personalities you can't overwrite those!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    @Dread Pirate Arbuthnot got me that for Secret Santa a few years ago but I've never opened it because my ex was a jerk who wouldn't play it

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    This guy at this bar has a mullet but also his head is shaved

He has just the party part of the mullet none of the business part

Its like a mullet padawan braid I don't I can't

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    Twilight struggle, del? I'll play! It's so good

This discussion has been closed.