Options

Whispers of the Old [chat]

• Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    I'm definitely planning to make beer in the event of societal collapse. It's a apocalypse proof industry! like whores!

i can't make beer

guess i'll just whore

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    I have an Aunt and Uncle that--I assume--are only not preppers because they don't have the necessary funds.

my father in law buys gold and silver on credit

Oh man.

That's a daring play.

Gold was a solid investment for like a decade there

I think I've related this before, but because 9/11 kinda traumatized / fascinated me, for about 5 years after it first happened, I fell asleep listening to the radio news

And they reported on the price of gold regularly, and this was right when gold was bouncing off the bottom

It heavily skewed my view in gold as a sure-fire investment

hey investing in precious metals is still part of well-balanced portfolio

buying fucking lumps of gold/sliver to keep in your desk drawer is not

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    but like

what is the value of gold and silver in a post-nation state where money has no value?

This always bothered me

Gold and silver are basically fiat currency... real value is like, bullets and food and fuel

And coke bottle caps obviously

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    What were peppers called back when it was bomb shelters in backyard because ww3?

Were they always preppers?

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I'm definitely planning to make beer in the event of societal collapse. It's a apocalypse proof industry! like whores!

Can you acquire a steady supply of hops and grains? Can I suggest looking into making hard alcohol instead? You can make that with almost any fruit or vegetable.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

i can't make beer

guess i'll just whore

You will be assigned to the breeding farms for your strong sperm.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    id probably suck a post-apocalyptic dick for a keg of beer

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    I have an Aunt and Uncle that--I assume--are only not preppers because they don't have the necessary funds.

my father in law buys gold and silver on credit

Oh man.

That's a daring play.

Gold was a solid investment for like a decade there

I think I've related this before, but because 9/11 kinda traumatized / fascinated me, for about 5 years after it first happened, I fell asleep listening to the radio news

And they reported on the price of gold regularly, and this was right when gold was bouncing off the bottom

It heavily skewed my view in gold as a sure-fire investment

hey investing in precious metals is still part of well-balanced portfolio

buying fucking lumps of gold/sliver to keep in your desk drawer is not

Maybe you don't understand how meteoric its rebound was, vowels

And how little a 14 year old understands investing

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    but like

what is the value of gold and silver in a post-nation state where money has no value?

Metals have value because they have uses, though?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Only one person wanted my friend key. It's gone now.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    navgoose wrote: »
    What were peppers called back when it was bomb shelters in backyard because ww3?

Were they always preppers?

Different view of paranoia then. They would have been seen as either slightly paranoid or well prepared. The Cold War created a higher base level of paranoia.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Actually thinking about it, maybe the truth is Landshark's sperm is average. The real one with the super power in the relationship is Porp.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Man, this office drives me crazy sometimes.

We can't turn on the A/C in my area because ONE person gets cold. Everywhere else in the entire goddamn company is comfortably cool, but here, nope. So I'm trying to be more active by walking home for lunch and when I get back I'm uncomfortably warm but there's no cooling off because it's so goddamn hot in this fucking office so I sit here slowly soaking in sweat because I can't cool off.

I even have a goddamn desk fan and it's barely keeping me sane.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Ugh, having another day where I'm farting coherent gamma radiation.

• Options
    Futures trading is basically the stock market equivalent of "how valuable is gold tomorrow going to be if I purchase some today?"

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    but like

yeah but outside of advanced manufacturing gold and sliver only really have value as jewelry metals,

which, you need a certain level of society happening before pure luxury goods start having value

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it, maybe the truth is Landshark's sperm is average. The real one with the super power in the relationship is Porp.

well i do have one data point outside of porp but it's possible we're both super virile

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »

We can't turn on the A/C in my area because ONE person gets cold. Everywhere else in the entire goddamn company is comfortably cool, but here, nope. So I'm trying to be more active by walking home for lunch and when I get back I'm uncomfortably warm but there's no cooling off because it's so goddamn hot in this fucking office so I sit here slowly soaking in sweat because I can't cool off.

Nova this is devastating to every stereotype I have about Yellowknife

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

everyone knows hot people win because you can put on a sweater or a jacket

fuck that one person

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

Can you acquire a steady supply of hops and grains? Can I suggest looking into making hard alcohol instead? You can make that with almost any fruit or vegetable.

Theoretically grains should be the first thing to pop up after the fallout, hops would be harder but you don't need many...or really any at all depending on the style of beer.

Hard alcohol is much more difficult as is requires a much more robust yeast strain and infrastructure.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    but like

yeah but presumably if things are so dire that we no longer have fiat currency and a federal gov the value of like, gold for making electronics is prob gonna be much less than like, the value of food and weapons for surviving

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's the best clickhole I've ever seen

• Options
    but like

yeah but outside of advanced manufacturing gold and sliver only really have value as jewelry metals,

which, you need a certain level of society happening before pure luxury goods start having value

Depends on what you mean by "advanced manufacturing". You're certainly not going to have aluminium in a prepper situation. Copper, gold, silver are all pretty great metals. I'd say copper is the better investment in the long run though. Though in a prepper situation, you can just strip that shit from power lines and houses.

• Options
    .....I responded to that too quickly didn't I

• Options
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

that's the best clickhole I've ever seen

it's so wrong

it's amazing

• Options
    but like

Depends on what you mean by "advanced manufacturing". You're certainly not going to have aluminium in a prepper situation. Copper, gold, silver are all pretty great metals. I'd say copper is the better investment in the long run though. Though in a prepper situation, you can just strip that shit from power lines and houses.

yeah id agree about copper but no preppers are storing/buying copper to my knowledge it's usually gold (and maybe silver?)

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Ugh, having another day where I'm farting coherent gamma radiation.

Our doge has taken spot in house as alpha flatulator. I cannot compete on average days, when she's on a roll the windows need to be open despite weather.

• Options
    but like

oh yeah copper would be way better, you can make shit with copper and it's easier to work than iron

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Wait grains? In beer? Not in my Hoppy Hops Hopslosion!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

tell that one person to shove it and bring a jacket, imo

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I cant believe its 1am

• Options
    Neco wrote: »
    I cant believe its 1am

i don't believe it either

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »
    I cant believe its 1am

i don't believe it either

neco apparently moved to japan

• Options

point the first

if you get cold in air conditioning what the hell are you doing living in yellowknife

• Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    Wait grains? In beer? Not in my Hoppy Hops Hopslosion!

we soaked eight pounds of hops in 12oz of water to make the craftiest craft beer ever crafted

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Someone in the Dark Souls thread just made a convincing suggestion that the series involves mythological bestiality, basically.

What a weird game.

• Options

point the first

if you get cold in air conditioning what the hell are you doing living in yellowknife

Right?

This is all very upsetting, Chanus.

This discussion has been closed.