As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Trailers] Chapter 2

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Not grabbing me, and probably won't last more than one season

override367 on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    ugh that looks brutal.. not that MacGyver was high art to begin with...

First few min of Preacher
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXYqreS_t8k

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yes you're allowed to say MacGuyver looks like shit, because it stars like a shittier version of Matthew Gruber and its on CBS the land of awful tv programming.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pS39X658Vw

WTF

Not even an updated theme song, just bwaaaaaaam and bwaaaaaaam and bwaaaaaaaam

Am I allowed to say I dislike the appearance of this remake?

Yes, so I can agree.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Yes you're allowed to say MacGuyver looks like shit, because it stars like a shittier version of Matthew Gruber and its on CBS the land of awful tv programming.

I love MacGuyver but this is exactly what I was thinking while watching the trailer

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Oh sure lets cancel person of interest and have Macguyver instead

fgdsfgsdfgs

• Options
    MacGruber was the only thing I saw watching that trailer.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    That MacGuyver looks pretty bad. Does this mean Chris O'Donnell is off NCIS Los Angeles? Because I actually like Chris O'Donnell but can't stand NCIS:LA.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    No mullet, no deal!

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    He has a mullet he just looks like he is twelve. Can't even grow the requisite stubble

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    N1tSt4lkerN1tSt4lker Registered User regular
    I really wanted to like that MacGyver trailer, but nope. Why no theme song? And I really feel like Super-Young-Brilliant-Longhair is just going to come off as annoying most of the time rather than whimsically charming. I don't think the show creators get why MacGyver was so likeable. And the long hair is just bothering me! I may be ranting from nostalgia, but seriously CBS, this is bad.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    No "fuck communism" lighter. It's gonna be garbage.

(Yes I realize this particular prop wouldn't really fly on amc)

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    Like most of Hollywood, they picked only one thing from what they are rebooting to carry over and it was the wrong thing.

The hair just looks terrible, and other than the name I didn't get MacGyver from the trailer at all.

And what they could have done is just recreated the original's opening credits with scenes from the new thing, I would have been all over that. You know what? I'm going to go over to Netflix and watch some of the original right now.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Like most of Hollywood, they picked only one thing from what they are rebooting to carry over and it was the wrong thing.

The hair just looks terrible, and other than the name I didn't get MacGyver from the trailer at all.

And what they could have done is just recreated the original's opening credits with scenes from the new thing, I would have been all over that. You know what? I'm going to go over to Netflix and watch some of the original right now.

Jesus man, the trailer wasn't so bad you need to go punish yourself like that over it.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    The only good remake I can think of off the top of my head is Hawaii Five-0 and I haven't seen it it just has been on for six seasons, and I remember good things about Team Knight Rider in the 90's when it was in syndication (basically Knight Rider, only with a team of various Ford KITT cars)

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    The only good remake I can think of off the top of my head is Hawaii Five-0 and I haven't seen it it just has been on for six seasons, and I remember good things about Team Knight Rider in the 90's when it was in syndication (basically Knight Rider, only with a team of various Ford KITT cars)

The Hawaii Five-0 remake series is pretty decent.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    The Hawaii Five-0 reboot is decent, I'm not entirely sure why they keep renewing it though. It hasn't gotten quite to the point where everyone is a caricature of themselves thankfully, with the possible exception of Danny Williams. They do have a bad habit of suddenly jobbing their main villains though.

The semi-recent Knight Rider reboot wasn't bad either, it was just super fuckin' cheesy (and at least one impossible thing per episode, sometimes two).

sig.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    MacGyver had a son near the end of the series. But I bet they are doing a hard-reboot.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Danny is so hot though who even cares if the character is a derp.
    It's not the derping, it's the whining.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Somehow I wound up falling down a youtube hole because of those slim-jim commercials and spontaneously discovered that Thailand has an entire cottage industry devoted to making the most emotionally abusive heart-wrenching TV ads that have ever existed. There are an endless number of them, each one more devastating than the last.

Do not let the Subaru or Honeymaid people learn of this or they will take over the world.

• Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    MacGyver had a son near the end of the series. But I bet they are doing a hard-reboot.

looks more like they are going to wink and nudge and in-joke the show to death if the trailer is a good representation.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Whoops, I actually meant to make that comment about ads in the Bad News Gone Right thread but whatever, I'll leave it here. Don't go looking at any Thai commercials without a box of kleenex handy though.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular

See, I know it's called the big friendly giant, and I know that abbreviates to BFG. I, however, have also played Doom a substantial amount and that abbreviation will always be Big Fucking Gun - alternately Big Fucking Giant, which actually fits quite nicely.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Okay, Preacher might actually be good.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    No "fuck communism" lighter. It's gonna be garbage.

(Yes I realize this particular prop wouldn't really fly on amc)

but that ratwater whiskey logo is definitely Saint of Killers

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    Echo wrote: »

People get so mad at Ennis sometimes they forget that he could actually tell a pretty good story (or at least he used to be able to). Preacher was a good comic with a compelling story. Once you got past the exploding penises and amputations and other Ennis fetishes.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    That MacGuyver trailer looked rough.

I mean is the new kid an Eagle Scout or something? I think that one is going the way of the Knight Rider reboot.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

People get so mad at Ennis sometimes they forget that he could actually tell a pretty good story (or at least he used to be able to). Preacher was a good comic with a compelling story. Once you got past the exploding penises and amputations and other Ennis fetishes.

He still can. His relatively recent Nick Fury series was one of his best works ever. Ennis is pretty much like Millar, very talented writers that lose themselves in excess. (only where Millar is unsuited for most superhero comics, Ennis actively dislikes the superhero genre). I do think that his work on Hitman, Punisher (the MAX-series, not the Marvel Knight) and Fury is better than Preacher, the last 2 because they are played completely serious and the first one because the characters at least realise they are completely horrible beings (still like many aspects of Preacher though).

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    That MacGuyver trailer looked rough.

I mean is the new kid an Eagle Scout or something? I think that one is going the way of the Knight Rider reboot.

It could work if they play it somewhat straight and have the DIY stuff actually sound plausible, maybe do a voiceover ala Burn Notice while he is MacGyvering.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    The original Macguyver had a voiceover...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    He mentioned "my dad" in the trailer.

I assume his dad is MacGyver.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Dude whose last name is MacGyver might have a MacGyver for a dad? Yeah, probably.

• Options
    Not a guarantee though!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    The original Macguyver had a voiceover...

I couldn't remember if it did or not, I haven't seen the show since it aired originally.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Not a guarantee though!

Probably leaving it out there if they can get OG Macguyver on board, but leaving it vague in case Richard Dean Anderson has literally anything else in the whole world to do. PLEASE HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO RDA!

And yeah Mayo that's where Burn Notice got the whole idea of explaining what you're doing from. That was the whole point of Maguyver, he explained the method while he was using bubble gum, a failed pregnancy test, and the constitution to make a cold fusion device.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Dude whose last name is MacGyver might have a MacGyver for a dad? Yeah, probably.

I never liked the convention of calling a person nearly exclusively by their last name. Do people actually do this? I've never done so nor seen it happen myself. I certainly would correct someone if they tried it on me. Castle is a prime recent example, to the point I can't even remember what his actual first name is.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

I never liked the convention of calling a person nearly exclusively by their last name. Do people actually do this? I've never done so nor seen it happen myself. I certainly would correct someone if they tried it on me. Castle is a prime recent example, to the point I can't even remember what his actual first name is.

Mac disliked his first name.

It was Angus.

So he went by his last name.

• Options
    Not a guarantee though!

Probably leaving it out there if they can get OG Macguyver on board, but leaving it vague in case Richard Dean Anderson has literally anything else in the whole world to do. PLEASE HAVE SOMETHING ELSE TO DO RDA!

And yeah Mayo that's where Burn Notice got the whole idea of explaining what you're doing from. That was the whole point of Maguyver, he explained the method while he was using bubble gum, a failed pregnancy test, and the constitution to make a cold fusion device.

I should probably watch a few old episodes to jog my memory.. but I suspect that may be a painful experience. I do recall one episode with an outbreak of like fire ants that were swarming everywhere.. or the one with the two fiendishly clever bombs with all sorts of tricks to make it explode.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Richard/Rick is Castle's first name. Military people tend to go by last name, as do police and emergency workers I believe. Also sometimes if you have a common first name and work with people who also have that name you go by a more unique moniker. Though if your name is John William Rodriguez well you're fucked in life.

pleasepaypreacher.net