As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stellaris Thread

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    So, you've probably run across the Special Project Anomaly "Improbably Ceramics". Where there's a ceramic container orbiting a star somewhere. Did you know it's based off of a philosophical conjecture?
    Bertrand Russell's teapot
    Many orthodox people speak as though it were the business of sceptics to disprove received dogmas rather than of dogmatists to prove them. This is, of course, a mistake. If I were to suggest that between the Earth and Mars there is a china teapot revolving about the sun in an elliptical orbit, nobody would be able to disprove my assertion provided I were careful to add that the teapot is too small to be revealed even by our most powerful telescopes. But if I were to go on to say that, since my assertion cannot be disproved, it is intolerable presumption on the part of human reason to doubt it, I should rightly be thought to be talking nonsense. If, however, the existence of such a teapot were affirmed in ancient books, taught as the sacred truth every Sunday, and instilled into the minds of children at school, hesitation to believe in its existence would become a mark of eccentricity and entitle the doubter to the attentions of the psychiatrist in an enlightened age or of the Inquisitor in an earlier time

I love how one of the results of this event is the text box that says something along the lines of.

"Why? Why? Why!?"

and that's all you get.

I think you also get a pile of influence with that outcome

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    I think it's either influence if you don't research it, or way more influence if you do.

Either way, badass.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I think I got society research out of that the last time I got it, which probably makes sense considering it was a philosophical conundrum that ate my best scientist for two years.

Also finally started poking at mods, immediately liking Beautiful Battles.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Would anyone be interested in having a multiplayer game on Saturdays now that Clarke is out? There was a PA MP game on Saturdays before but I don't know what happened with it or if it's still going on, since I had to miss it for a couple of weeks.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I would.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Well, that's one :P

I should probably note that I probably won't be able to host it, since my computer isn't really ideal for it (though I will if there are no better alternatives)

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    Man Hearts of Iron IV is also about to finally come out, isn't it?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm up for it. It might beat the thing @Sir Fabulous and I were starting to work out

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    Yeah sure, if something's happening I'm down.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Stellaris multiplayer, eh?

• Options
    Is this happening?

My internet's been a bit dodgy, so I don't think I can host, but I'll try to participate.

• Options
    I'm fine doing it with only a few people, though it's getting a bit late for me. We could do this another day or wait till next week.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I will definitely have this game by next week and would love to do multiplayer stuff

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    What would be the best way to do multiplayer? Fastest speed with a 1 minute pause on the new year?

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I think staying on Fast with no pauses would be adequate

but we can have different speed rules depending on if it's early/mid/late game

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    How does character creation work in multiplayer?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Empite creation is the exact same as single player.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    fanatic pacifist/spiritualist with fast breeders feels really strong right now. it opens enlightened monarch which is a massive early game influence saver and your population grows over twice as fast with the spiritualist edict. the wartime happiness sucks for a warmonger like me, but whatever. shock and awe end wars quick with your huge population capacity.

• Options
    MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular
    I feel like Clarke did something weird to the combat engine. I'm steam-rolling Fallen Empire fleets that have a third of my military score?

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    MrBrick wrote: »
    I feel like Clarke did something weird to the combat engine. I'm steam-rolling Fallen Empire fleets that have a third of my military score?

You should be steamrolling anything with only a third of your military score, especially if you use predominantly battleships.

• Options
    MrBrickMrBrick Underneath pub furniture.Registered User regular

You should be steamrolling anything with only a third of your military score, especially if you use predominantly battleships.

I meant to say that I have a third of their military score, but I'm an idiot. Also at work. But mainly an idiot.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I meant to say that I have a third of their military score, but I'm an idiot. Also at work. But mainly an idiot.

do you have a good adrmiral?
    are you using a bunch of high agility stuff still?
    are you countering their armor/shield with pen?

• Options
    might have a big tech lead too. or maybe just a better set up to counter them, I nearly beat a fallen empire with 32k fleet power. they only had one stack left out of the 80k initial fleet.

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    There are some factors which aren't properly expressed by fleet score

• Options
    Like certain weapon defense combos will just stomp others.

• Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    if all they have is missiles and your point defense is great, you can really mop up fast, or kinetic/energy/missiles, the rock paper scissors thing is kind of cool.

• Options
    Five battleships with 4 large Flak cannons and 7 small tier 3 PD systems makes your whole fleet virtually immune to missiles. My 42k strength fleet got into an engagement with a 22k strength Pythoran fleet and didn't take a single points of damage. I was fucking flabbergasted.

• Options
    so i'm still a newb at this game and if this has been answered, i apoligze but if you have a choice between more sectors or more vassals, what is the "better" path? I'm sure there are pros and cons but i hate giving up control either way. I am not yet understanding the true distinction.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Vassals don't give you anything except a guaranteed ally. They aren't part of your empire, don't give any materials or energy, and don't even give the +1 influence that a protectorate does. If you are able to integrate them and handle the increased load (they will momentarily hate you for a while because for some reason integrated vassals get the -25 "recently conqured" penalty) you absolutely should.

Sectors are bugged right now though, they only want to build spaceports and spaceport modules and will completely ignore building things on planets to do so.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Sectors are slightly bugged right now. You need to pump more minerals than you'd think in order to get them to build anything on the planet. Seems that the AI worries a lot about running out of money, so likes a decent sized stash before it'll spend anything.

• Options
    thanks, so the option to build observation posts, leads to vassalized empires, but it seems like that ends up being a net loss if i lose all the resource in that area.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pailryder wrote: »
    thanks, so the option to build observation posts, leads to vassalized empires, but it seems like that ends up being a net loss if i lose all the resource in that area.

Those dudes can be integrated into your empire pretty much from Day 1 because they're right on your borders (or completely enclosed in them), significantly weaker, and I think they also have the same or similar ethics too. You still have to spend a couple years to integrate them, but then they're yours. And a lot of the time it means you now have access to a species at home on a different plant type.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Those dudes can be integrated into your empire pretty much from Day 1 because they're right on your borders (or completely enclosed in them), significantly weaker, and I think they also have the same or similar ethics too. You still have to spend a couple years to integrate them, but then they're yours. And a lot of the time it means you now have access to a species at home on a different plant type.

They have similar ethics? I had an isolationist xenophobe renaissance civ about 3 systems away from my capitol in my current game. They still like me when they hit space age, though, which I thought was pretty wild.

After I win a war with the goal for the enemy to cede me a couple planets, is there a way I can get their fucking sad sack idiot fungusmen off my new planet instead of being all mopey and wrecking shit? I can't "Purge" and their personal ethic doesn't allow migration. Even though my moral democracy is super awesome and welcoming and I never did anything wrong to the citizens they still hate me and want to go back to their abusive space despot.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

They have similar ethics? I had an isolationist xenophobe renaissance civ about 3 systems away from my capitol in my current game. They still like me when they hit space age, though, which I thought was pretty wild.

After I win a war with the goal for the enemy to cede me a couple planets, is there a way I can get their fucking sad sack idiot fungusmen off my new planet instead of being all mopey and wrecking shit? I can't "Purge" and their personal ethic doesn't allow migration. Even though my moral democracy is super awesome and welcoming and I never did anything wrong to the citizens they still hate me and want to go back to their abusive space despot.

A way to get around that is to instead have a war goal of liberating those planets instead of ceding them directly to you. The liberated populations will share your empire's ethics, and will like you enough to become a vassal immediately most of the time. Then you can integrate them later. It takes longer, but it's less of a pain in the ass.

As for dealing with the situation you have here, i'm not sure. You could try splitting the planets off into separate sectors that also have other planets with your primary race on them so they aren't a majority faction in those sectors. Then it'll just be a matter of time as you wait for the factions to lose strength and for them to gradually join the loyalists.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Whoops, i was thinking of uplifted presentients.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I switched to the upgraded government form almost right as my current ruler died, leaving me without any kind of heir which caused pretender factions to appear. none of them rebelled though, and they seem to be slowly returning to loyalists. could have gotten hairy for a minute there though, they had like 80 population between the two of them.

• Options
    got a nice game going

NCxHoql.jpg

that orange empire to the right of me has 800 population, the south is at 500 something. tyrathian union has been pretty peaceful, they absorbed a bit of one empire but the hevans have been gobbling up everyone. right now is like the calm before the storm as I'm about to declare war on orange, our fleets are equal and mine is growing pretty steadily with that massive 1100 mineral income

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    why is the galactic core always impassable and uninhabitable? just gameplay balance or something?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    why is the galactic core always impassable and uninhabitable? just gameplay balance or something?

The way Paradox decided. There are mods that populate it with stars

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well there's the supermassive black hole and the star density and the barrier Q put up.