Options

[Hesher] (We Are) The Road Crew

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Oh shit, there's a new Hammers of Misfortune coming out!

https://youtu.be/cKYQvQ8bKcc

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    This is not a show I watch, but was funny in my feed, so:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfR5O2PXzfc

Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Currently Stam1na's Elokuutio, is my top 2016 pick for Proggy-type metal, though Haken's Affinity and Elokuutio swap spots from time-to-time.

This Icelandic group just kills it, and I'm rather addicted to their fusion of Prog/Thrash/Heavy Metal. The guitars and keys have great balance and it is pretty damn heavy, but also uses contrast very well in tempo, harshness, and volume, of course the riffs slay as well!

I already posted a 'tube from them, but I'll repost for full hype effect:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUKjO-KCePs&list=PLJCo4Hg99md8MJnNbkvZlEb-BZUeEo530

Edit: Anyone else wanna hype some favorite 2016 Proggy shit, please do!!

Edit x2: @autothrall, I've not found The Ultra-Violence to be as compelling as many, compared to my favorite thrash albums, despite owning it and revisiting several times. The "classic" production holds it back for me, but I probably just need to play with the EQ more and I've not given up on it (that did the trick on Deception Ignored).

Although it is blasphemy (yay!), I tend to prefer modern thrash recordings, because guitar tones (while still restrained compared to many other genres of metal) are much more fleshed out and capture the full range of output better (especially rhythm guitars), where older thrash recordings tend to portray the guitars with very little tonality, comparatively speaking. A lot of the meat is in the down-tuned rhythm guitars and classic production tends to downplay exactly that range, or overshadow that range with all the stuff going on in the high end. Granted, nearly all my favorite thrash is old-school, because of the great writing and riffs, etc., but I still need to heavily tweak the EQ (like -10 DB to treble and + 2 DB to bass or something) to really enjoy those albums fully.

Anyway, I'll definitely check out their most recent releases, now that their back on my radar and I'll continue to revisit The Ultra-Violence!

Stam1na is Finnish, actually. I'll be seeing them (among others) in Tuska in the beginning of July. The lineup is pretty good this year: http://www.tuska-festival.fi/en/lineup

Rhan9 on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote: »
    Currently Stam1na's Elokuutio, is my top 2016 pick for Proggy-type metal, though Haken's Affinity and Elokuutio swap spots from time-to-time.

This Icelandic group just kills it, and I'm rather addicted to their fusion of Prog/Thrash/Heavy Metal. The guitars and keys have great balance and it is pretty damn heavy, but also uses contrast very well in tempo, harshness, and volume, of course the riffs slay as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUKjO-KCePs&list=PLJCo4Hg99md8MJnNbkvZlEb-BZUeEo530

Edit x2: @autothrall, I've not found The Ultra-Violence to be as compelling as many, compared to my favorite thrash albums, despite owning it and revisiting several times. The "classic" production holds it back for me, but I probably just need to play with the EQ more and I've not given up on it (that did the trick on Deception Ignored).

Although it is blasphemy (yay!), I tend to prefer modern thrash recordings, because guitar tones (while still restrained compared to many other genres of metal) are much more fleshed out and capture the full range of output better (especially rhythm guitars), where older thrash recordings tend to portray the guitars with very little tonality, comparatively speaking. A lot of the meat is in the down-tuned rhythm guitars and classic production tends to downplay exactly that range, or overshadow that range with all the stuff going on in the high end. Granted, nearly all my favorite thrash is old-school, because of the great writing and riffs, etc., but I still need to heavily tweak the EQ (like -10 DB to treble and + 2 DB to bass or something) to really enjoy those albums fully.

Anyway, I'll definitely check out their most recent releases, now that their back on my radar and I'll continue to revisit The Ultra-Violence!
    Stam1na is Finnish, actually. I'll be seeing them (among others) in Tuska in the beginning of July. The lineup is pretty good this year: http://www.tuska-festival.fi/en/lineup
    A little too much metal for my xSxEx hardcore sensibilities but I envy seeing With the Dead, Kvelertak and Gojira. :) Primordial would be kinda neat too...
    Never heard of them before but this thing made me aware of Fuckushima, whom seems interesting :mrgreen:

• Options
    McKidMcKid Registered User regular
    Panda4You wrote: »

A little too much metal for my xSxEx hardcore sensibilities but I envy seeing With the Dead, Kvelertak and Gojira. :) Primordial would be kinda neat too...
    Never heard of them before but this thing made me aware of Fuckushima, whom seems interesting :mrgreen:

I don't know if this is universal, but here the hardcore and doom scenes go along quite nicely and we often have combined shows. Because Jess and the Ancient Ones and Lord Vicar are both doom heavy-hitters at that fest.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    McKid wrote: »

I don't know if this is universal, but here the hardcore and doom scenes go along quite nicely and we often have combined shows. Because Jess and the Ancient Ones and Lord Vicar are both doom heavy-hitters at that fest.

This matches with LA kinda. I notice a lot of the crust kids also go to the stoner metal shows.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    McKid wrote: »

It's curious that this is something that apparently has a wider recognition I didn't know about? Slow shit is like the only metal I've listened to for the last 8-10 years or so. :) But it's funny hearing others feel the same!

• Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    Digging the new Rage album, I mean it's not quite the shrieking brilliance of their first five in the 80s, but there's a little of that in there, and it's a solid modern take circa Unity, and harder hitting than the last 3-4 albums.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTjuBt0jcpI

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Definitely checking out that Rage album. In related news, both Sodom and Running Wild just announced new albums coming in August

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Vale of Pnath are finally coming out with a new album. I'd call it technical melodic death metal.

https://youtu.be/h0CA-WxnJLY

https://youtu.be/cBXy0fge2wE

• Options
    TerribleMisathropeTerribleMisathrope 23rd Degree Intiate At The Right Hand Of The Seven HornsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2016

Good catch Rhan9 (my apologies to all of Scandavania). That fest looks like it'll be great!

Edit: I saw The Cure in KC on Wednesday with my wife. It was awesome!

Edit x2: Not so sure about the new Vale of Pnath. I'll have to at least check out the full album, because I have enjoyed their previous releases, but if that's representative, I'm not sure I'll be making that purchase. Right now my impression is: "didn't Neuraxis already do that, and wasn't it boring when they did it?" and answering "yep".

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Going back a page, how have I never heard of Kobra and The Lotus before?!

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Definitely checking out that Rage album. In related news, both Sodom and Running Wild just announced new albums coming in August

More importantly, Vader's new album is coming out in September.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Going back a page, how have I never heard of Kobra and The Lotus before?!

Because I failed you in the past.

More importantly, Vader's new album is coming out in September.

You know, a couple decades ago I would have cried heresy at that. But considering how 'meh' Sodom and Running Wild have been this last decade, and how amazing Vader has remained, I must agree wholeheartedly :(

I've got a promo for the new Vale of Pnath. It's alright, melodic and technical akin to Obscura and Decrepit Birth, but I think the debut full-length was better.

autothrall on
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Listening to "1985" by Kvelertak and I have such a hard time reconciling these fucking vocals with the good times classic rock riffing

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Behemoth has the best music videos. I'd watch a whole film of that stuff.

• Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Ved Buens Ende's Written in Waters has been one of my favorite black metal albums for a very long time. It's pretty avant-garde but is nonetheless coherent and pretty much perfectly geared to my musical sensibilities. Unfortunately, it's the only album they released.

Which is why I feel silly for having never listened to Virus, formed by a couple VBE members, and maybe some other people I dunno. This album is awesome though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlY6fnwgElU

A bit closer to rock than the weird black metal of Ved Buens Ende, but the same sort of discordant jazzy weirdness is present. This is the most I've enjoyed a previously undiscovered album in a while.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Virus is freaking amazing, man, I'm glad you are on board! Their new album that just came out, Memento Collider, is probably my fave of the year thus far. I liked VBE also but I feel like the newer band has been on an entirely other level.

autothrall on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Popped back in my Agents of Oblivion disc and put it in the old collection. It's tangentially related to metal, more of a stoner/doom vibe to the whole thing, but man. Man.

God I love this disc. I haven't been able to get into anything else Dax Riggs has ever done, but this album...

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    No love for Acid Bath? :(

Kaputa on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Popped back in my Agents of Oblivion disc and put it in the old collection. It's tangentially related to metal, more of a stoner/doom vibe to the whole thing, but man. Man.

God I love this disc. I haven't been able to get into anything else Dax Riggs has ever done, but this album...

I still prefer Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops as far as Dax Riggs goes. Agents of Oblivion was all right, though.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    So I'm going to see Voivod tomorrow night. Brushing up on their setlist right now so I'm not totally lost, but most of it is their '80s stuff with some stuff off the latest EP and Target Earth mixed in, so I think it should be pretty good.

Does anybody know King Parrot or Child Bite? I sure don't. And they're opening.

• Options
    yakulyakul Registered User regular
    I am Thor is coming to netflix sometime this month

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Which Venom is the one with the new album? There's like a thousand Venom.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

I still prefer Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops as far as Dax Riggs goes. Agents of Oblivion was all right, though.

There's just something about the music, it's lazier (in tempo) than a bayou drawl and constantly feels behind the beat. It's just a really great record to me. It embodies a swampy aesthetic and conjures smoky, wooden pubs and whiskey.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    Cantido wrote: »

The Cronos-led Venom put out an album last year. I'm not aware that the touring band, Venom Inc., which features Abaddon and Mantis, has an actual album.

There should only be two of them, the original and this new offshoot with the other old members.

autothrall on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

The Cronos-led Venom put out an album last year. I'm not aware that the touring band, Venom Inc., which features Abaddon and Mantis, has an actual album.

There should only be two of them, the original and this new offshoot with the other old members.

Thank you, I'm hearing it now, and it is sick.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    And in releases I missed First Fragment's newest album has been out for a couple of weeks. Absolutely blistering tech-death with pretty heavy classical & flamenco influences.

https://youtu.be/rzhDr2OKILM

• Options
    Voivod was so good. So good! Glad I didn't sit it out. Just stellar performers, every one. Snake and Chewy were highlights, but Rocky and Away held it down like kings too. Very, very impressed.

• Options
    That guy has a lot of energy

• Options
    FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Oh hey. Another Gojira track

https://youtu.be/8xKttPGJg5c

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Opeth is coming to Toronto in October. I've never seen them live, but I didn't really care for Watershed or Heritage. While I liked Pale Communion alright for a prog album, I miss the Blackwater Park Era. How are they live these days?

The Sword is opening for them. They used to be amazing back in the day, now they're kind of boring and I've already seen them live.

I need the thread's advice. Tickets are $30-$90.

• Options
    edited June 2016
    I'm going to get the First Fragment album today and I am really pumped for the new Gojira!! Thanks for all the caring and sharing @Kakodaimonos and @Fearmeister. HAIL SATAN!!

Edit: Revisiting women in metal sub-topic. Here's the new Nervosa, Agony (thrash) album 'tube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nh6G8nBxdR8

Edit x2: Assassin - Combat Cathedral (thrash)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAuYqUXAisM

Edit x3: Dark Funeral - Where Shadows Forever Reign (BM)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjU98pUi2k

TerribleMisathrope on
    Mostly Broken

try this
  • Options
    Anyone have more recommendations for bands that have that Belgian post-hardcore sound? Like Amenra or Eleanora?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hey guys, Opeth is coming to Toronto in October. I've never seen them live, but I didn't really care for Watershed or Heritage. While I liked Pale Communion alright for a prog album, I miss the Blackwater Park Era. How are they live these days?

The Sword is opening for them. They used to be amazing back in the day, now they're kind of boring and I've already seen them live.

I need the thread's advice. Tickets are $30-$90.

I last saw Opeth in 2011, in support of their Heritage album. It was a pretty good show, but keep in mind that I liked Heritage. They also disappointed a lot of fans on that tour because they didn't play any songs that utilized Mikael's growled vocals. I believe that's not true for more recent tours.

Definitely glad I got to see them back in 2000, when they happened to be playing a festival in Germany while I was visiting. I didn't think I'd ever get to see them play in the US, but I was happy to be wrong.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Voivod was so good. So good! Glad I didn't sit it out. Just stellar performers, every one. Snake and Chewy were highlights, but Rocky and Away held it down like kings too. Very, very impressed.

Was this in Seattle? That's the show I was at.

• Options
    AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    Sorry about the hair of the woman next to me gettin' in the way. I got a couple more I'll post up later.
    https://youtu.be/a1dZiEnRtDg

• Options
    Ataxrxes wrote: »

Was this in Seattle? That's the show I was at.

Nope, Victoria!

This discussion has been closed.