Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    So at some point I will likely buy the last Metal Gear.. microtransactions on the game are they needed or do you never need to worry about them

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote: »
    So at some point I will likely buy the last Metal Gear.. microtransactions on the game are they needed or do you never need to worry about them

You never need them. Also if you want to can reject the EULA and never go online at all, which is probably what I should have done in hindsight.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    darkmayo wrote: »

You never need them. Also if you want to can reject the EULA and never go online at all, which is probably what I should have done in hindsight.

AHh good good.

Before picking that up will be filling in some blanks on my collection of Suikoden games.. lent out Suikoden 3 years ago and never got it back so will pick that up on Amazon, maybe Suikoden Tactics too, The rest other than the Japanese only titles I have.
    That's one series I wish wasn't still in Konami's clutches.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Figured this would be a good spot to post this. Konami's presence at E3:

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »

Why are they at E3?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Drez wrote: »

Why are they at E3?

Probably just has a couple of toughs inside running standby in case they have to threaten Kojima again.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    E3 is actually a trade fair where dealings are done. They just didn't bother with the circus part?

I don't think they'd put up banners for a company that's not there. Though it makes for a good joke?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    E3 is actually a trade fair where dealings are done. They just didn't bother with the circus part?

I don't think they'd put up banners for a company that's not there. Though it makes for a good joke?

The dude at the very far end of the hall works for Konami, if you went over to ask about what Konami was showcasing he would smile, put on his official Konami leather gloves and then choke you for a min or two.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I've heard in the past that Konami (and other companies) always reserves space at E3 because if they don't, they lose that space the next year. Apparently their booth space has been very small for the last few years, with Konami employees telling photographers that they're not allowed to take pictures of their booth.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I've heard in the past that Konami (and other companies) always reserves space at E3 because if they don't, they lose that space the next year. Apparently their booth space has been very small for the last few years, with Konami employees telling photographers that they're not allowed to take pictures of their booth.

Just in case E3 turns into a gambling trade show?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    at the very least Konami still have the latest PES to show off. i think that's at E3, i know i saw at least one story about it during the week.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Why do we have a Konami thread still? They have nothing to do with video games.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    at this point we're just poking at the festering corpse with a stick i think. gawking at the ways in which a once beloved company has fallen from grace.

alternatively, hats off to Capcom for seeing the reaction to PT and Konami's killing off it and rushing in to fill that void. i know they've said the demo wont be part of the game but hopefully it is indicative of the full games tone.

• Options
    ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    And on that note. Has anyone ever found out what happened to Allison Road? Specifically why it was canceled?

Artoria on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Why do we have a Konami thread still? They have nothing to do with video games.

Because I want to continue venting about them.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Why do we have a Konami thread still? They have nothing to do with video games in the west on platforms this forum cares about.

Fixed.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Do we have a KojiPro thread yet? With Death Stranding being announced, we finally got stuff to talk about.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    I can't imagine that an entire thread speculating on how buff CG Norman Reedus is, a dead baby, and why are dead whales everywhere would be worthwhile at all.

Unless there was coherent and tangible information provided that I've simply missed? IDK. Though threads live or dies on the merit of their content barring mod intervention, so... maybe such a thread will go on for pages?

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    I dunno. I just made this thread because Konami's business strategy went batshit crazy and there was no place else to put it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Seems weird that, with all the cameras around and people walking, that they could actually stop anyone from taking pictures.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Seems weird that, with all the cameras around and people walking, that they could actually stop anyone from taking pictures.

These types of "booths" are generally enclosed with temporary walls or curtains and don't really contain anything but meeting space and snacks.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »

These types of "booths" are generally enclosed with temporary walls or curtains and don't really contain anything but meeting space and snacks.

i'm just gonna assume that this is code for 'hooker and blow'.

• Options
    I can't imagine that an entire thread speculating on how buff CG Norman Reedus is, a dead baby, and why are dead whales everywhere would be worthwhile at all.

Unless there was coherent and tangible information provided that I've simply missed? IDK. Though threads live or dies on the merit of their content barring mod intervention, so... maybe such a thread will go on for pages?

If you take that first comma out, I think we have it.

Norman Reedus is a dead baby.

Death Shlanginton or whatever the name of that new game is called is actually a sequel to P.T.

• Options

If you take that first comma out, I think we have it.

Norman Reedus is a dead baby.

Death Shlanginton or whatever the name of that new game is called is actually a sequel to P.T.

it is Kojima, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. on the other hand, a little to on the nose for Kojima?

• Options
    edited June 2016
    My other theory is that the new Kojima game is about the first male c-section. You'll notice he has a scar across his abdomen, and there is an umbilical cord between him and the baby.

It's very obviously definitely possibly maybe an LGBT game and Reedus plays a post-pregnancy post-op transgender FTM dealing with issues of being a new father while being an international angry alien whale hunter whose main weapon is the power of weeping.

Drez on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My other theory is that the new Kojima game is about the first male c-section. You'll notice he has a scar across his abdomen, and there is an umbilical cord between him and the baby.

It's very obviously definitely possibly maybe an LGBT game and Reedus plays a post-pregnancy post-op transgender FTM dealing with issues of being a new father while being an international angry alien whale hunter through the power of weeping.

I feel like there's probably a fetish site somewhere that has very specifically made exactly that game.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Posted this in the E3 thread but it should be here too
    OWhBq8ul.jpg

• Options
    Given for all intents Konami has presently ceased activity on consoles other than PES, how is that even applicable?

It's the taunt while the guy's walking away disinterested in what you have to say.

• Options
    Yeah, I seriously doubt Konami would have greenlit whatever the hell Death Stranding becomes.

Or any of his ideas beyond Metal Gear, really.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I can't speak for E3, but the conventions I take generally have a 'please ask if you can take a pic' policy, going both ways between attendees and vendors. Now, since a lot of having a booth is about getting attention and networking, of course it's not likely to be an issue very often. What would be stopping someone from snapping a pic, surreptitiously or otherwise? Not much. But it's kind of a dick move when someone asks you not to/to stop, and anyone who has traveled to attend one of these things generally doesn't want to get on the radar in a fashion that could get them booted/their badge revoked.

Not saying that it'd come to that, just that there is etiquette to these kinds of things, though normally it's a complete non-issue.

And the booth space thing doesn't surprise me at all. When the company I volunteer with attends a convention, at the end of it they're given paperwork to reserve the same (or roughly the same) booth size/area as the current year and pay up front to have it. Consider the waiting lists that can form for these venues, it'd be a complete gamble to give it up entirely and just assume it'd never be useful, even if they just have a little 'go play pachinko!' sign and a few monitors or something. I mean, having nothing at all and telling people to go away is probably not helping matters, but I could see it being a rounding error in their overall budget to keep it because they can even if they don't put it to much use. As long as the organizers get paid I doubt they care very much, unless somehow it becomes a big enough issue (in controversy, or having enough companies just start placeholding their spots, for example) to be worth addressing.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Forar wrote: »

I can't speak for E3, but the conventions I take generally have a 'please ask if you can take a pic' policy, going both ways between attendees and vendors. Now, since a lot of having a booth is about getting attention and networking, of course it's not likely to be an issue very often. What would be stopping someone from snapping a pic, surreptitiously or otherwise? Not much. But it's kind of a dick move when someone asks you not to/to stop, and anyone who has traveled to attend one of these things generally doesn't want to get on the radar in a fashion that could get them booted/their badge revoked.

Not saying that it'd come to that, just that there is etiquette to these kinds of things, though normally it's a complete non-issue.

And the booth space thing doesn't surprise me at all. When the company I volunteer with attends a convention, at the end of it they're given paperwork to reserve the same (or roughly the same) booth size/area as the current year and pay up front to have it. Consider the waiting lists that can form for these venues, it'd be a complete gamble to give it up entirely and just assume it'd never be useful, even if they just have a little 'go play pachinko!' sign and a few monitors or something. I mean, having nothing at all and telling people to go away is probably not helping matters, but I could see it being a rounding error in their overall budget to keep it because they can even if they don't put it to much use. As long as the organizers get paid I doubt they care very much, unless somehow it becomes a big enough issue (in controversy, or having enough companies just start placeholding their spots, for example) to be worth addressing.

I dunno.

I've been to E3 (twice), a decade ago, before the revamp. I also attend other events and conventions (more recently).

And I also happen to be a photographer.

I think it's kind of a dick move to attend a convention like E3, as a publisher/vendor, and ask people not to take photos of your booth. It kind of subverts the climate and expectations of attendees. And it's kind of dumb. If you're embarrassed by your booth, dont waste everyone's time by attending. And if that's not the reason, chill out. Photographs are the norm there and having to ask for or confirm permission or being denied permission is, as I said earlier, kind of dumb.

It's one thing if you're behind closed doors at a private showing of something. It's another thing if you take up space in an exhibit hall where people are snapping pictures everywhere, as they should. Neither scenario is exactly public as the whole event is private, but the latter at least comes with the expectation of freedom for the attendees.

Drez on
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I would understand that a trade fair or something with clear media presence would have their "please photograph this"/"please do not photograph this" sections very, very clearly demarcated in advance

• Options
    I dunno.

I've been to E3 (twice), a decade ago, before the revamp. I also attend other events and conventions (more recently).

And I also happen to be a photographer.

I think it's kind of a dick move to attend a convention like E3, as a publisher/vendor, and ask people not to take photos of your booth. It kind of subverts the climate and expectations of attendees. And it's kind of dumb. If you're embarrassed by your booth, dont waste everyone's time by attending. And if that's not the reason, chill out. Photographs are the norm there and having to ask for or confirm permission or being denied permission is, as I said earlier, kind of dumb.

It's one thing if you're behind closed doors at a private showing of something. It's another thing if you take up space in an exhibit hall where people are snapping pictures everywhere, as they should. Neither scenario is exactly public as the whole event is private, but the latter at least comes with the expectation of freedom for the attendees.

As I said, for booths it's usually a matter of wanting to have pics taken. Having a booth and not wanting pics is kind of weird.

But it's been a hot topic in the convention circuit that I've read (Gen Con, PAX, the large Toronto events we attend) with people taking pics when they're not wanted, and I'd think that kind of policy should apply both ways, but that's conjecture. As a trade show, it also wouldn't surprise me if asking for people not to take pics would be uncommon.

More a meta commentary about how things have evolved over the last few years.

• Options
    Yeah, I seriously doubt Konami would have greenlit whatever the hell Death Stranding becomes.

I just hope that the actual project that Buff CG Norman Reedus baby whales was supposed to be about isn't an esoteric mess of half-formed ideas because he'll be almost completely unfettered this time around.

E3 has a weird air of pseudo-publicity about it. Like... it's a private event for public consumption? That said, we're really commenting on hearsay regarding an organization that's clearly viewed in a negative light at this point. Maybe there was a private area that they didn't want to be photographed? Who knows.

• Options

I just hope that the actual project that Buff CG Norman Reedus baby whales was supposed to be about isn't an esoteric mess of half-formed ideas because he'll be almost completely unfettered this time around.

The odds of Death Stranding becoming an un-fun wad of incomprehensible pretension are fairly high.

Then again we're damn near getting nothing but sequels and remakes from all the other big publishers, so I say let's see what he can come up with.

• Options

E3 has a weird air of pseudo-publicity about it. Like... it's a private event for public consumption? That said, we're really commenting on hearsay regarding an organization that's clearly viewed in a negative light at this point. Maybe there was a private area that they didn't want to be photographed? Who knows.

It's actually a whalepunk-themed sequel to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

• Options

maybe if Kojima had pitched it as a pachinko machine instead...

• Options
    It's actually a whalepunk-themed sequel to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home.

And now I'm back onboard.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options

They are a bunch of chuckleheads.

And that's really my point here. I guess they retain the right to act that way. E3, whatever its incarnation, is a closed/private event, even the parts that feel public like ye olde booth-filled convention floor.

But it's dumb regardless of their rights.

And there's a good way and a bad way of interaction with the press and with the public-at-large and acting the way detailed in the article you posted is, to me, a very bad way, as is any company running a booth on a convention floor that "doesn't want pictures taken." That may be their right, but it is dumb.