As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Why do we have a Konami thread still? They have nothing to do with video games. Just to suffer?

Wormholes raise more questions than they answer. I wouldn't bat an eye at crystal-zombies.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    We all immediately realize the final boss is going to be a Crystal Organic Metal Gear, right?

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

I'm not even a MGS fan and this pisses me off.

And am I crazy, or is the zombie design cribbed from The Last of Us? Just with glowing faces/critori?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead in the Metal Gear Universe? I'm sold. Fuck you guys: I'm going to have a blast with this!

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Physically cannot stop laughing

• Options
    Explicitly not in the Metal Gear universe.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead in the Metal Gear Universe? I'm sold. Fuck you guys: I'm going to have a blast with this!

You're a brave man with bold opinions for this thread. :hydra:

But yeah, I want to see it in action first, and know how the micros are going to work... but I don't really see this is a bad thing either. I imagine it will get shat upon constantly in the blogosphere and such more so because of misplaced sentimentality than its own merits.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

Konami just going through old tweets now.

(This is from 2013)

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Apparently its not going to be a full 60 dollar game. Priced more like Ground Zeroes was.

• Options

You're a brave man with bold opinions for this thread. :hydra:

But yeah, I want to see it in action first, and know how the micros are going to work... but I don't really see this is a bad thing either. I imagine it will get shat upon constantly in the blogosphere and such more so because of misplaced sentimentality than its own merits.

Haha, well... I saw all the negative opinions flood my Facebook wall and reddit so I had to see for myself. I've never been particularly invested in the MGS franchise but I can see why people would be upset by it.

• Options
    PLA wrote: »

Well I mean the over-the-topness of the MGS series. You obviously see Snake at the beginning leaving this poor sap behind.

• Options
    Konami have a good engine to make games with, and I guess they feel like they have to keep Metal Gear branding on that engine.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular

imagine it will get shat upon constantly in the blogosphere and such more so because of misplaced sentimentality than its own merits.

Eeehhn. This thing isn't so much waving red flags as it is built entirely out of red flags with not a green one in sight.

(Is a green flag the opposite of a red one?)

Maybe it'll be fun! MGO is fun. Maybe this should be a $15 DLC mode for MGO. The whole zombie aspect feels so goddamned cynical and uninspired. They want to use the MGSV assets cause it's cheaper than making a new world, but it's gotta be vs zombies cause they think that's what a horde mode needs to be. And they apparently think it's 2009, when these modes were all the rage. :tell_me_more:

As a creative entity, they have to earn any goodwill. They do not deserve the benefit of the doubt here. It looks bad and should be assumed to be bad until it comes out and isn't bad.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Admittedly, the first feeling I had when I saw this was that it should be considered in the same vein as the Raiden time paradox outtakes.

Non-canonical, but potentially fun.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    wFpmmYG.png

Shit covered V

Fitting

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

for the brief period before Konami stop supporting it and its already sparse player base dies off. yeah, there's a chance this might actually be fun and sure someone people will like it no matter what, but it wont be long lived.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

Well I mean the over-the-topness of the MGS series. You obviously see Snake at the beginning leaving this poor sap behind.

The thing about the over-the-topness of MGS is that it's all in the context of a crazy fever dream about the military-industrial complex. Even crazy slashy Revengeance was part of that.

It's hard to fit crystal zombies from space into a metaphor about modern warfare.
    Though I'm sure some will try. Bonus points if they incorporate Donald Trump.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »

The thing about the over-the-topness of MGS is that it's all in the context of a crazy fever dream about the military-industrial complex. Even crazy slashy Revengeance was part of that.

It's hard to fit crystal zombies from space into a metaphor about modern warfare.

Eh, it's not the first game to WORMHOLE TO DIFFERENT UNIVERSE/TIME HOW TO GET BACK characters from one (or more) franchises into some other piece. The portal is probably to wave off just how far out of genre they're going.

I think it's the first to use the red shirts though.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    First reaction upon seeing the setup was:

"...Still not the craziest shit I've seen from Metal Gear."

Shit, MGSV has wormholes. It's tech you can develop! 10 to 1 odds that the zombies are also some form of nanomachines/parasites. And even if they are from literal space... see above reaction.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Apparently its not going to be a full 60 dollar game. Priced more like Ground Zeroes was.

Well, the DLC at least will be 60 dollars or even more. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh god, the Fulton Recovery System with Wormhole Upgrade wasn't just sending them to the base, it was copying them to both the base and an alternate dimension full of crystal zombies!

We're bigger monsters than we even knew!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    There is a chance this could be a surprisingly enjoyable game, let's be honest.

But if ever there was a company that did not deserve the benefit of the doubt, it's Konami.

Cynicism is fully justified here.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Realistically this isn't a bad move at all from Konami.

They are leveraging a very powerful engine (Fox Engine), lifting very popular open world gameplay mechanics (MGSV), combining it with a known IP (Metal Gear) and putting out a game in a genre that is currently incredibly popular (coop survival zombie games). It also avoids neatly all the expensive, time consuming parts of a Metal Gear game (the writing, the voice acting, the cutscenes, etc, even if MGSV was bad on all those fronts).

It's very deliberate chosen as minimum effort for maximum potential profit.

Is it what I personally want to see from an MGS game? No.

Does it stand to make a good amount of profit if they stick the landing, given that the average person doesn't know really anything about Konami and even less about Kojima? Sure.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kyougu wrote: »

Way too expensively?

Anyways, I was no fan of MGSV, I stopped playing about an hour in and felt no urge to return

Adding zombies won't fix that - it honestly just makes me feel even more justified that I made the right call to just give up on this thing

• Options
    edited August 2016

Eh, it's not the first game to WORMHOLE TO DIFFERENT UNIVERSE/TIME HOW TO GET BACK characters from one (or more) franchises into some other piece. The portal is probably to wave off just how far out of genre they're going.

Yes, but they're not going very far out of genre. Oh, no, stone-shamblers. Unlike metal-shamblers.

Actually, it could save them from having to write dumb geopolitics, though.

PLA on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    You know those eels that spawn by the thousands and eat the carcass of whales and what not?

Yeah, seems like what we're seeing here.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    You know those eels that spawn by the thousands and eat the carcass of whales and what not?

so the zombies are the eels and the whale is Metal Gear?!

• Options

Yes, but they're not going very far out of genre. Oh, no, stone-shamblers. Unlike metal-shamblers.

Actually, it could save them from having to write dumb geopolitics, though.

My take from the video and play of the MG side-game related to the mercs is it'd be a base building/survival mechanics driven game. Maybe a State of Decay: Lifeline -esque affair. Too early to really say though.

• Options
    Wraith260 wrote: »

so the zombies are the eels and the whale is Metal Gear?!

The whale is Moby Dick Studios.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    MGS resurrected with zambos? How hilariously tone deaf, Konami

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Realistically this isn't a bad move at all from Konami.

They are leveraging a very powerful engine (Fox Engine), lifting very popular open world gameplay mechanics (MGSV), combining it with a known IP (Metal Gear) and putting out a game in a genre that is currently incredibly popular (coop survival zombie games). It also avoids neatly all the expensive, time consuming parts of a Metal Gear game (the writing, the voice acting, the cutscenes, etc, even if MGSV was bad on all those fronts).

It's very deliberate chosen as minimum effort for maximum potential profit.

Is it what I personally want to see from an MGS game? No.

Does it stand to make a good amount of profit if they stick the landing, given that the average person doesn't know really anything about Konami and even less about Kojima? Sure.

Yeah, I was just thinking this. At first there was the shock of how crazy a giant portal to a crystal zombie world was, but it's only really crazy because of the tonal dissonance from the series. Zombie survival games are the hotness right now, this makes a perfectly cynical amount of sense.

• Options
    I love how there are some people trying to insist that this doesn't break canon.

"The Skull Parasites were basically zombies!"

"They had wormholes as a Fulton upgrade!"

Yes, I'm so certain Konami did the research to justify their zombie co-op game in MGS' story.

Kojima made shit up too but at least he made most of it fit. If someone at Konami gets the idea to have Snake fight space aliens, they're going to do so, continuity be damned.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Has Konami said its canon?

Because it wouldn't be the first non-canon metal gear game, not by a long shot.

We've got Ghost Babel, Rising, the Ac!ds, arguably Portable Ops, and probably stuff I'm forgetting like the cell phone games.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    I love how there are some people trying to insist that this doesn't break canon.

"The Skull Parasites were basically zombies!"

"They had wormholes as a Fulton upgrade!"

Yes, I'm so certain Konami did the research to justify their zombie co-op game in MGS' story.

Kojima made shit up too but at least he made most of it fit. If someone at Konami gets the idea to have Snake fight space aliens, they're going to do so, continuity be damned.

to be completely fair, the wormholes weren't just a fulton upgrade. They were showcased as part of the Skull Unit's powers - they would teleport weapons out of the palms of their hands. This tech never got explained in the story, but it was there.

...come to think of it, pretty sure they never explained the zombie 'puppet' stuff either.

We've got Ghost Babel, Rising, the Ac!ds, arguably Portable Ops, and probably stuff I'm forgetting like the cell phone games.

Rising is totally canon, just later in the timeline. ;P

this would be the first non canon game to explicitly branch off of a real one. Showing the end of Ground Zeroes in the trailer, then a big dumb portal in the sky, implies that the events are more 'canon' not less. It's saying that portal happened in MGSV, and then the events in this game are on another world, so don't count. But there was still a big goddamned unexplained portal in there...

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2016

It's supposed to occur on an alternate timeline or something. But the only really concrete things I've been able to find out at this point are this is a game that exists, it's designed for up to four-player co-op, it's a survival game, it won't cost $60, and it's TBA 2017.

What this does mean is that they're not completely coming out of the console game save for that soccer game too.

edit: here's the official press release
    METAL GEAR SURVIVE picks up from the ending of METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES, to an alternate timeline caused by unexplained wormholes forming in the sky. Players find themselves on distorted desert landscapes full of massive half-formed structures, living biological threats, and the remains of a once strong military force now litter the landscape.

In a struggle to stay alive on this harsh terrain filled with deadly creatures, soldiers who were previously on Mother Base now must work cooperatively in order to survive. METAL GEAR SURVIVE continues the pedigree of METAL GEAR SOLID V’s highly praised gameplay design, with a unique blend of stealth and co-op play mechanics. Players can strategically manage massive threats with the help of 4-player online cooperative play. New weaponry will also be introduced to combat charging creatures and lethal environments as well.

Via Kotaku

tastydonuts on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular

Rising is canon

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    I wonder how stealth factors in.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So instead of using a pre-bought Unity asset pack to make their zombie survival game they just use MGSV assets.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I mean the only positive is they seemed to try - weirdly - to make this just "canonical" enough that they're not touching any true Metal Gear characters.

Which I'm strangely happy about?

I'm very curious if any of the voice actors would ever return now, actually.

Of course they would

Voice actors don't give a fuck, they're ACTORS. Metal Gear was just another paying gig for most of them and people need to eat

Like, cmon. Be real here

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET