As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Screams from My Father

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    maybe this is all some kind of experiment

to see how long until we turn into vengeful monsters

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Cello wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Man I just don't understand the robo bomb thing, when I heard the police chief talking about it he first said explosive and I figured oh it was probably some kind of flash or smoke thing (something not designed just to kill) and it went wrong like maybe the guy shot it or something

Then a line or two later he just says bomb and I'm just amazed that bomb carrying robot is a thing and I'm not sure what step robo-bomb is a logical progression from

It was definitely not a robot made for that express purpose

EOD bots typically have grip claws so they can grab/pull/drag objects, as well as cameras so the operators can see what's going on, and basically high powered water guns which're used to disable explosives

Likely a bomb tech made an actual bomb on-site, since I doubt police have actual frag grenades or anything, and carried it in using the grip/activated it remotely

Oh yeah no I don't think it was a pass the butter style robot built only to hold bombs, I imagine it's simple to put something like that together if you already have a bomb disposal bot and a way to make an explosive

I guess I mean more the thinking involved

Maybe I just don't know enough about what exactly was happening I'm just having a hard time imagining myself in a situation where "I need put together a bomb carrying robot and then send that robot into where that guy is and then press the button to blow it up" is a decision I would make

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Jeez, the number of news orgs/journalists saying "Micah X. Johnson" is extremely, extremely gross.

I don't know Chris Dorner's middle initial. Or Timothy McVeigh's, or Ted Kaczynski's, or Dylan Roof's, or basically any other domestic terrorist's.

But as soon as there's this opportunity to draw an invisible line in peoples' heads from Malcolm X to a violent man, they fucking leap at the chance. So gross. So insidious.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    maybe this is all some kind of experiment

to see how long until we turn into vengeful monsters

Somewhere a masked vigilante is having a fist fight with the mastermind behind it all and we will never know about it.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Man I just don't understand the robo bomb thing, when I heard the police chief talking about it he first said explosive and I figured oh it was probably some kind of flash or smoke thing (something not designed just to kill) and it went wrong like maybe the guy shot it or something

Then a line or two later he just says bomb and I'm just amazed that bomb carrying robot is a thing and I'm not sure what step robo-bomb is a logical progression from

EOD bots typically have grip claws so they can grab/pull/drag objects, as well as cameras so the operators can see what's going on, and basically high powered water guns which're used to disable explosives

Likely a bomb tech made an actual bomb on-site, since I doubt police have actual frag grenades or anything, and carried it in using the grip/activated it remotely

Oh yeah no I don't think it was a pass the butter style robot built only to hold bombs, I imagine it's simple to put something like that together if you already have a bomb disposal bot and a way to make an explosive

Maybe I just don't know enough about what exactly was happening I'm just having a hard time imagining myself in a situation where "I need put together a bomb carrying robot and then send that robot into where that guy is and then press the button to blow it up" is a decision I would make

I just can't help but marvel at the fact that the Dallas PD decided that the best way to defuse the situation was to injure and potentially kill the suspect by turning a device that is designed to save lives into a mobile bomb.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited July 2016

I just can't help but marvel at the fact that the Dallas PD decided that the best way to defuse the situation was to injure and potentially kill the suspect by turning a device that is designed to save lives into a mobile bomb.
    I think I'm more amazed that it worked

Could have gone so horribly wrong

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    better than having a shootout with them if this guy made the decision he wasn't going quietly

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    better than having a shootout with them if this guy made the decision he wasn't going quietly
    According to the police chief, he was having a shootout with them when they sent in the robomb

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I guess this is technically the first time a drone was used by police? I mean, is that not what this is? Is a drone strictly just a UAV?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I vote for Boomba as the name btw

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    Jeez, the number of news orgs/journalists saying "Micah X. Johnson" is extremely, extremely gross.

I don't know Chris Dorner's middle initial. Or Timothy McVeigh's, or Ted Kaczynski's, or Dylan Roof's, or basically any other domestic terrorist's.

But as soon as there's this opportunity to draw an invisible line in peoples' heads from Malcolm X to a violent man, they fucking leap at the chance. So gross. So insidious.

Well the name Micah Johnson was already used in the media belonging to a guy who plays second base for the Dodgers, so Micah X Johnson has to differentiated somehow.

Decomposey on
    Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    AP is reporting that the one confirmed shooter thus far is an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan.

Curious if/how that'll get slotted into the narrative folks are building.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    The Non-Micah X Johnson Micah Johnsons probably appreciate it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I really wish the DPD would take down the tweet about the guy on the ground who was open carrying for the protest and had nothing to do with the shooting.

It uses the word suspect which is dangerous for his safety at this point.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »

I think I'm more amazed that it worked

Could have gone so horribly wrong

It could have but that's what that robot is designed to do. It's the bomb squad robot that has a designed charge on it. It's meant to go to a bigger bomb and blow it up before it goes off. That's what you hear about "controlled explosion" for a bomb threat. They just did it against someone instead.

And apparently they've been doing it in Iraq before too against people with the military. Just not in the US.

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Eh, Eric Harris is the most generic/common name possible, and his middle initial never got trotted out

Disambiguation is not even remotely the goal here, unfortunately.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm curious how one man in a parking garage was too well-barricaded to be taken by storm in a more conventional fashion, and also why they chose a bomb (which I assume was improvised from a breaching charge if not the shaped charge already on some robots) instead of a flashbang or something

I assume the threat of explosives elsewhere was what made it time sensitive but its still a really weird choice

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I'm curious how one man in a parking garage was too well-barricaded to be taken by storm in a more conventional fashion, and also why they chose a bomb (which I assume was improvised from a breaching charge if not the shaped charge already on some robots) instead of a flashbang or something

I assume the threat of explosives elsewhere was what made it time sensitive but its still a really weird choice

From what I've read he was threatening to use explosives and was it was impossible to reach him by any other means safely.

Like, it's an awful tactic and I hope it's rarely if ever used again but it honestly sounds like knowing what they knew about the situation there may not have been a safer way to do it with the knowledge they had at the time.

rhylith on
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    I think it is terrifying to be in a place where cops can justify using explosives against someone.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Decomposey wrote: »

Well the name Micah Johnson was already used in the media belonging to a guy who plays second base for the Dodgers, so Micah X Johnson has to differentiated somehow.

Saying Micah Xavier Johnson would be fine, in that case.

The initialization is deliberate.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    I mean I'm not judging the police for doing it I'm just curious what exactly the situation was

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It bothers me quite a bit that the police force has the ability to remotely bomb someone. I have such a struggle with the militarization of local police.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

• Options
    edited July 2016
    those guys actually have middle names though

e. oh, his name actually is Xavier, I misunderstood Pooro's post

Dongs Galore on
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    It bothers me quite a bit that the police force has the ability to remotely bomb someone. I have such a struggle with the militarization of local police.
    The usage of the device for controlled detonation is pretty necessary

I don't like the idea of it being used as a weapon at all though

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

Eh, Eric Harris is the most generic/common name possible, and his middle initial never got trotted out

Disambiguation is not even remotely the goal here, unfortunately.

There are other Eric Harris in popular media?

I'd never heard of em.

Also skimming some news sites, the ones using X also use his full name in the body of text and are many such as CBS, NBC, AP and whatever, while some shitty sites like daily beast and breitbart don't bother to use the X at all and often just use his full name.

It's weird that the racist sites don't bother being racist. Low hanging fruit and all.

Maybe the MLB just owns the name.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    AP is reporting that the one confirmed shooter thus far is an Army veteran who served in Afghanistan.

Welp, called that.

sig.png
  • Options
    GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    @Speed Racer

To reiterate, youse good people.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    The usage of the device for controlled detonation is pretty necessary

I don't like the idea of it being used as a weapon at all though

It makes me tremendously uncomfortable, specifically because I moralized working on these robots with the understanding that they were built to be used defensively and save lives, not take them

And now this particular choice might lend towards others deciding to use them in a similar application

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular

It is, unfortunately, exactly what I personally expected.

As I understand it, the military's two main recruitment demographics are idealogues who romanticize the military, and poor minorities.

As to the news, I have to think the "willing to sacrifice for his country" aspect will probably just get left out.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

to be fair, this completely misses the point

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

That as early as '92 a majority of people didn't even remember who Malcolm X was and that I doubt that's improved since then?

I don't even think I ever heard him mentioned in any history classes all through college, even.

Feels real tenuous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    This is so subliminal that I feel unsafe attributing any intent to it

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    People converting to Islam can use an X. as a middle initial or surname, there's no way this is a coincidence

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    people know who malcom X is, but it isn't a connection I would make

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

That as early as '92 a majority of people didn't even remember who Malcolm X was and that I doubt that's improved since then?

I don't even think I ever heard him mentioned in any history classes all through college, even.

Feels real tenuous.

I... really?

No american history classes even mentioned the leaders of the Civil Rights movement? It's both pretty recent and incredibly important in the context of today's modern political landscape.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

I completely get the point about the X, I was just responding to the argument that he didn't know the middle names of "basically any other domestic terrorists".

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

Feels real tenuous.

I... really?

No american history classes even mentioned the leaders of the Civil Rights movement? It's both pretty recent and incredibly important in the context of today's modern political landscape.

My high school history classes (graduated in 2008) pretty much stopped at WW2, and the one history class I took in college focused mainly on antiquity.

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

To be fair,

James Earl Ray
    Lee Harvey Oswald
    John Wayne Gacy
    John Wilkes Booth
    Mark David Chapman

Feels real tenuous.

I... really?

I never had an American history class go past WW2

But I had a pretty mediocre general education

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
This discussion has been closed.