As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Thread: Summer Sale is overrrrrr

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Brolo wrote: »

The interesting thing about this, to me at least, is that this came to light right about hte same time as Gramblegate, and GG didn't give a flying fuck about it, which really drove home how much their "ethics" platform was horseshit.
    They did and they're crowing about it. TotalBiscuit was the guy who blew the whistle on it.

Total Biscuit hadn't joined gramblegate at the time. That didn't come until months later.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Total Biscuit didn't throw his support behind the movement until after the SoM controversy stuff.

Trying to say GG was involved, or even gave a shit retroactively because TB joined later is some legit revisionist history.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Total Biscuit didn't throw his support behind the movement until after the SoM controversy stuff.

Trying to say GG was involved, or even gave a shit retroactively because TB joined later is some legit revisionist history.

Not surprised, that entire movement was basically revisioning of what happened the prior week, every single week.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited July 2016

They were giving a shit at the time, I'm looking at the twitter history of "#gamergate shadow of mordor" right now. It's half people saying "if gamergate is about ethics in journalism then why isn't it talking about shadows of mordor" and half gamergaters talking about shadows of mordor. And if you go further back it becomes all gamergaters talking about it. They weren't just doing it in reaction to people accusing them of not caring.

Did GG care about the Shadow of Mordor paid reviews? Yes. Did GG care about paid reviews as much as the bogus stuff around Zoe Quinn etc? Absolutely not.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Of course, there's the question of whether it was actually something a appreciable amount of the movement was focusing on.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Now I remember talking about this payola back ini '14 and the forums wondering why GG weren't talking about if they were actually caring about ethnics, etc.

I kind of assumed the story about youtubers being paid for positive press was about a new, different game? Don't know why it's come up again all of a sudden.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    If you're like me and don't own DOOM yet, greenmangaming is having a Bethesda sale with DOOM at 50% off, which you can combine with a 20% off coupon to get the game for $27.

Dang it when I looked that up it said 40% off. And how do I get a coupon? Do I have to buy something else first?

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Of course, there's the question of whether it was actually something a appreciable amount of the movement was focusing on.

I imagine the part of the movement that are hapless rubes suckered in by thinking it's genuinely about "ethics in video game journalism" were crowing about it and the rest of the movement which is actually about harassing women was not.

• Options
    edited July 2016

They were giving a shit at the time, I'm looking at the twitter history of "#gamergate shadow of mordor" right now. It's half people saying "if gamergate is about ethics in journalism then why isn't it talking about shadows of mordor" and half gamergaters talking about shadows of mordor. And if you go further back it becomes all gamergaters talking about it. They weren't just doing it in reaction to people accusing them of not caring.

Did GG care about the Shadow of Mordor paid reviews? Yes. Did GG care about paid reviews as much as the bogus stuff around Zoe Quinn etc? Absolutely not.

Going with the search parameters you gave, they barely talk about it all for a full week after the news broke. There's about 10 messages the day after and then they all get distracted with playing the game and a Kotaku article about kissing. Hell, they're literally recommending the game, talking about how cool it is and defending the game against "thinkpiece" articles from those evil journos. I think there's maybe one or two messages about the actual controversy during this week until a Jim Sterling video about it got posted and they finally start talking about it.

After that, over the next 5 days there's less than a 100 messages (I counted 85, including repeated tweets of the same article) before Total Biscuit makes an appearance. Over the rest of the month, we see it dwindle to around 25 or so messages, and we also start to see the "youtubers aren't journalists" narrative crop up, meaning GG doesn't have to care about the Shadow of Mordor stuff, because its not related to ethics in journalism. We also see them saying that because TB blew the whistle and is pro-GG, that means GG totally gave a damn the entire time. At this point it segues into them talking about about how they talked about SoM, rather than talking about SoM. Also they basically start going back to talking about playing the game like nothing ever happened and I'm about done with this.

There's barely any discussion; barely any outrage. What there is dies off incredibly quickly, which is quite something for a movement that's STILL pissed about Zoe Quinn basically doing nothing at all. There's no real sense that GG as a movement cared about SoM. Like, I said, they did not give a flying fuck about it and it showed. A handful of them brought it up and they quickly moved on.

Edit: Thinking about it, I really don't want to read through old GG logs anymore so if you post a rebuttle to this I'll just preemptively declare you the winner.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    The new ArmA 3 expansion fucking rules if you have 3 other friends who wanna be all tacticool with you.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    If you're like me and don't own DOOM yet, greenmangaming is having a Bethesda sale with DOOM at 50% off, which you can combine with a 20% off coupon to get the game for $27.

Dang it when I looked that up it said 40% off. And how do I get a coupon? Do I have to buy something else first?

The coupon is just JULY20. It's on the front page.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Peewi wrote: »

The coupon is just JULY20. It's on the front page.

Thanks! Never underestimate how dopey I can be sometimes...

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    For you Amazon Prime users, any noteworthy deals on mechanical keyboards or gaming mice during Prime Day (which just started)? I've been interested in both, but I don't have a lot of knowledge on which ones are recommended.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Going back through twitter to see if gooble goop talked about this issue or not so that you can crow "see you didn't care!" seems like a spectacular waste of time.

Like, I don't need any more reasons to dislike that movement and I don't think anyone else does either. Whether they cared about Shadow Of Mordor getting paid reviews or not does not move the needle.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    For you Amazon Prime users, any noteworthy deals on mechanical keyboards or gaming mice during Prime Day (which just started)? I've been interested in both, but I don't have a lot of knowledge on which ones are recommended.

It looks like Razer is having a sale on Blackwidow keyboards at 12:55 EST, though there are several varieties so I'm not sure which ones will be discounted. I wouldn't pay for even a price-reduced "compact" model, for example.
    As for a mice, I don't recognize the brands that are on sale except for Mad Catz, but I've never used one.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I like my current keyboard but there is a problem: the letters on the keys are going away.

It's a black keyboard with white letters, and I guess they used crappy paint or whatever on the keys. I've already lost E, C, and V with several others mostly gone. This is the first keyboard I've had this ever happen with and I've only had it eight months or so.

Any tips on what to use to try and get letters back on the keys? Since I kind of suck at painting and such, I'm kind of thinking of just looking for some sort of stickers of individual letters that I can put up there, but I'm worried if that will mess things up with tactile response and such.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Going back through twitter to see if gooble goop talked about this issue or not so that you can crow "see you didn't care!" seems like a spectacular waste of time.

Like, I don't need any more reasons to dislike that movement and I don't think anyone else does either. Whether they cared about Shadow Of Mordor getting paid reviews or not does not move the needle.

I agreee, which is why I already said I was going to do it again.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    finally remembered to set up steam share with my dad so he's got something else other then World of Tanks to play if he wants

he started up Fallout New Vegas (he has finished 3) and his having a blast

I laughed my ass off when I saw his character he's always making jokes about his grey hair and he straight up made him self grey hair and all in fallout I did not expect that it's great

Just gotta mod in some music and Nevada Skies and he should be good for the rest of his vacation

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Aren't they generated though?

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    NEHnZaJ.jpg

:?

I first saw that posted by Encyclopedia Dramatica on Twitter, so I think it's probably fake? Unless I missed the original post.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    How come you're playin Pokemon in the holocaust museum

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    How come you're playin Pokemon in the holocaust museum

Who makes out during Schindler's List?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Yeah, whether or not the picture is fake

The real problem is that enough people are playing Pokemon at the Holocaust Museum that the museum management is trying to get them to stop

I've seen a couple of these sorts of troubling news stories pop up, not just the Holocaust Museum but also like, churches that have been turned into private property which are now surrounded by crowds of people trying to get at their Pokemon

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »

The real problem is that enough people are playing Pokemon at the Holocaust Museum that the museum management is trying to get them to stop

I've seen a couple of these sorts of troubling news stories pop up, not just the Holocaust Museum but also like, churches that have been turned into private property which are now surrounded by crowds of people trying to get at their Pokemon

Turn the firehose on 'em

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Turn the firehose on 'em

Make it more interesting and nobody will be bored and want to play PoGo. Like, have nazis jump out at you and break your cellphones or something, I dunno

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yeah somethin tasteful and reverent like actors in nazi costumes, you pay an extra two bits at the door and they'll put on central casting German accents

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    arlington national cemetary has also put out a statement to the tune of "Don't fucking catch pokemon in the most hallowed American grounds you goddamn ingrates"

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    There really needs to be a way to appeal having certain locations be Pokestops or gyms or whatever

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    There really needs to be a way to appeal having certain locations be Pokestops or gyms or whatever

niantic don't give a fuck

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

Apparently Ingress had a way for users to suggest points of interest?

I imagine they'll eventually implement the same feature for PoGo.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Niantic will put a bulbasaur in your nana's grave

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Gonna have to dig her moldy ass up then

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I already have one, can they make it a Squirtle instead

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I used to play Ingress, and yeah, there was a mechanism/process for creating/moving/removing locations.

The process took a while to work through, but I know some locations got moved from inside train stations and buildings to the entrance so GPS could work. The was a constant slow trickle of places getting added and I think I recall one or two getting removed. Certainly discussion of such.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    I'm having some trouble with the mobile app. It keeps saying there was a problem communicating with the steam servers. I have a connection, I can even do certain things like check my friends list and such, but I can't do any card confirmations, which is the one reason I have this stupid app in the first place.

Then I logged out, thinking that logging out then in would fix it, only to find that I can't log in either.

Gvzbgul on
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    By far, the biggest offense that RE6 commits is that when you hit the anykey/start button, the game doesn't say "RESIDENT EEEEVIL. SIX."

sig.gif
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I'm having some trouble with the mobile app. It keeps saying there was a problem communicating with the steam servers. I have a connection, I can even do certain things like check my friends list and such, but I can't do any card confirmations, which is the one reason I have this stupid app in the first place.

Then I logged out, thinking that logging out then in would fix it, only to find that I can't log in either.

Try clearing the cache.

Another thing to try is to attempt to log in to the app by trying to hit return on your phone keyboard after entering your username/password, as well as the little 'log in' button. At least for me, the log in button won't log me in, but hitting enter will.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
This discussion has been closed.