Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, I seriously doubt Konami would have greenlit whatever the hell Death Stranding becomes.

Or any of his ideas beyond Metal Gear, really.

I just hope that the actual project that Buff CG Norman Reedus baby whales was supposed to be about isn't an esoteric mess of half-formed ideas because he'll be almost completely unfettered this time around.

The odds of Death Stranding becoming an un-fun wad of incomprehensible pretension are fairly high.

Then again we're damn near getting nothing but sequels and remakes from all the other big publishers, so I say let's see what he can come up with.

Yeah, I'm sort of afraid that Kojima's new projects are going to catch George Lucas / Seth Mcfarlane syndrome. Some people really need an editor telling them that their dumb ideas are dumb and we've already seen what happens when Kojima is allowed to do whatever he wants to do; we get 45 minute cutscenes.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Just to clarify, the baby in the Death Stranding teaser isn't dead. It's very clearly moving about on the ground and as he holds it.

I think he was crying with either joy or relief, not sadness. He seems pretty distraught when it vanishes.

Fawst on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Just to clarify, the baby in the Death Stranding teaser isn't dead. It's very clearly moving about on the ground and as he holds it.

I think he was crying with either joy or relief, not sadness. He seems pretty distraught when it vanishes.

It's obvious what it is.

Norman is his character from PT. The baby is Silent Hills, taken away before its time.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited June 2016
    Mr Ray wrote: »
    Yeah, I seriously doubt Konami would have greenlit whatever the hell Death Stranding becomes.

Or any of his ideas beyond Metal Gear, really.

I just hope that the actual project that Buff CG Norman Reedus baby whales was supposed to be about isn't an esoteric mess of half-formed ideas because he'll be almost completely unfettered this time around.

The odds of Death Stranding becoming an un-fun wad of incomprehensible pretension are fairly high.

Then again we're damn near getting nothing but sequels and remakes from all the other big publishers, so I say let's see what he can come up with.

Yeah, I'm sort of afraid that Kojima's new projects are going to catch George Lucas / Seth Mcfarlane syndrome. Some people really need an editor telling them that their dumb ideas are dumb and we've already seen what happens when Kojima is allowed to do whatever he wants to do; we get 45 minute cutscenes.

Dude needs to up and switch from games to movies. Discard the pretense of interactivity and join the ranks of Lynch, Cronenberg, et al.

Or, if two hours still isn't enough to contain all the mindfuckery (and it very possibly isn't), a Netflix series.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Kojima hasn't done the overlong cutscene thing in eight years.

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    Dusda wrote: »

There's a pretty bad one in MGSV. It was a one off bad scene, but it was in a pivotal moment and kinda ruined the ending for me...
    That god damned jeep ride. I know what he was going for, but holy shit it didn't work for me at all.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

There's a pretty bad one in MGSV. It was a one off bad scene, but it was in a pivotal moment and kinda ruined the ending for me...
    That god damned jeep ride. I know what he was going for, but holy shit it didn't work for me at all.
    I loved that.
    Because clearly it wasn't supposed to be nearly as long as it was, so there's like a 5 minute segment of Snake and Skullface just staring awkwardly at each other.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Ravenhpltc24Ravenhpltc24 So Raven Registered User regular
    heenato wrote: »

I loved that.
    Because clearly it wasn't supposed to be nearly as long as it was, so there's like a 5 minute segment of Snake and Skullface just staring awkwardly at each other.

I like the interpretation that Sins Of The Father starts playing cause the jeep driver felt bad for Skullface and wanted to break the silence.

(V) ( ;,,; ) (V)
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUz-rSjcrIQ

/screams externally
    Look how fucking good those visuals are. Look how fucking amazing this bullshit looks

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    According to SuperBestFriends, Konami said something to the effect of hoping to win gamers back?

I mean, first off, good fuckin' luck.

Second off, that sounds like MGS remakes to me. They'd still technically be written by Kojima, even without his involvement. They've made the shiny new MGS3 assets already. Shove that into Fox Engine, you got yerself a current gen version of the most universally beloved MGS game.

Or shit, do the first one again. It'll still be busted with the new gameplay mechanics, but it'd be coooool. And if they don't wanna feel beholden to how it originally played, they can rebalance it to make sense with the new engine. Have REX function as quickly as it does in MGS4 to compensate for the better controls. Enemy soldiers have the actual decent vision they have in MGS to compensate for having first person aim. Do it gud.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    There was also a pulled Amazon listing about a MGSV Definitive EX or some such.

It wouldn't surprise me if they released a package that was just Ground Zeroes+MGSV+DLC. The people hoping this includes Chapter 3....yeah no.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Remake em all! Metal Gear 1 through MGS3. The only problem would be that Konami wouldn't really care about doin it gud.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    There was also a pulled Amazon listing about a MGSV Definitive EX or some such.

It wouldn't surprise me if they released a package that was just Ground Zeroes+MGSV+DLC. The people hoping this includes Chapter 3....yeah no.

NEVER BE GAME OVER!

Yeah, I sincerely doubt it'd be Chapter 3. Maybe the lost Mission 51, since it seems like a lot of VA work and cutscene stuff was already done for it. Plus (MGSV ending spoilers)
    the bulk of Mission 51 was supposed to be a rematch with Metal Gear Sahelanthropus. There's a fully functional boss fight with that thing already complete. The scale of the rematch was supposed to be much bigger than the one in game, with multiple factions fighting alongside and against the player, so if they wanted to do that, it wouldn't be as simple as making a new arena for it.

All told tho, wouldn't be an enormous task. Depends if they wanna do something, or just. Yknow. Bundle Ground Zeroes in and add the costume DLCs.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    If it doesn't cost literal pennies and/or isn't Pachikno related, I doubt Konami would put the work.

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    A re-release of the HD Collection for current-gen consoles would be in line with their easy-money strategy, probably (except now with MGS1! Maybe? Or whatever)

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    A re-release of the HD Collection for current-gen consoles would be in line with their easy-money strategy, probably (except now with MGS1! Maybe? Or whatever)

HD collections for current-gen consoles are the easy-money strategy for everyone these days... that madness needs to stop. :(

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    A non-shit HD collection of Silent Hill would go a long way.

Won't even that get much, though.

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    Apparently there is some big issue with voice acting contracts for old games with Konami.

Silent Hill 2 very nearly didn't get it's original voice acting except fans caused enough of a fuss to get it to happen. Didn't manage to preserve the original voice acting for Silent Hill 3, though.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    90s game contracts are apparently the worst. Just look at Capcom.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    If it doesn't cost literal pennies and/or isn't Pachikno related, I doubt Konami would put the work.

Hilariously, for how much they've invested in Pachinko lately, their Pachinko earnings last quarter were negative.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'd just like to see all of Konami's PS2 games go up as PS2 Classics on PSN. There's no way Konami could possibly fuck that up, right? Right?

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I'd take an HD version of Twin Snakes. I might be in the minority on that one, though.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Konami announces Metal Gear Survive
    IGN can exclusively reveal Metal Gear Survive, a four-player stealth co-op game set within the Metal Gear universe, due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC in 2017.

Set directly after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game's finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they're forced to battle a force of crystalline zomb-

oh, fuck off.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Ugh

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Haha, good April fools, IGN! You had me going for... oh, it's August.
    Oh.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Well

It's another excellent vehicle in which to sell MB coins

Konami staying in the video game business only to make small multiplayer-only games featuring a bunch of DLC for people to buy makes all the sense in the world

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Positives:

The Fox Engine isn't being completely put to waste in some dank, dark hole of Japanese corporate fuckery
    The Metal Gear franchise is looking to continue to exist in videogame form as long as it turns an easy buck

Negatives:

What the fucking shit is this zombie multiplayer bullshit. I honestly would have been super down for a tight co-op versus AI, and they really didn't need this dumb wormhole nonsense to justify it if they didn't use zombies. A handful of surviving MSF soldiers trying to tough it out with XOF on a manhunt or whatever would have made for a really cool narrative

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Someone in SE++ pointed out this is all so they can re-use MGSV assets and holy shit on a rewatch it's so obvious.

Like, everything is. They didn't even try to re-create a salvaged mother base, they just dumped the half destroyed one on land. The only new thing is the bow. Even the characters just come from the character creation.

Also I love how all the zombie-whatevers have Venom Snake's horn. Because that makes a lot of sense.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Thanks Konami, now I'm dead inside.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    I think I'm going to be sick.

I'm sitting here at work and I want to jump out of my cubicle and vomit everywhere.

• Options
    I mean the only positive is they seemed to try - weirdly - to make this just "canonical" enough that they're not touching any true Metal Gear characters.

Which I'm strangely happy about?

I'm very curious if any of the voice actors would ever return now, actually.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Immediately someone pointed out how this ruins GZ/MGSV by
    retroactively making Huey a hero who spared Big Boss and his men from being transported to Crystal Zombie World

• Options
    I mean it's ruined in the ending of Ground Zeroes.

When the screen says "The UN (or whoever) saw the wreckage and numerous helicopters leaving the area."

and not

"HOLY SHIT THERE WAS A SPACE PORTAL AND THE WRECKAGE WAS SUCKED INTO THE SKY"

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Isn't that just Umbrella Chronicles? Like... exactly?

• Options
    Nah, Umbrella Chronicles is a rail shooter, totally different. It's exactly like Umbrella Corps! ;P

So the best case scenario in my conspiracy theory addled brain is that this game is being shit out to be bad on purpose. They know that the first Metal Gear without Kojima's involvement is gonna be torn apart anyway, so why put any effort in? So they're setting the bar as low as possible, so the next one will feel like a step up.

Or I dunno, maybe they're not that savvy and this really is the best they can do...

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Nah, Umbrella Chronicles is a rail shooter, totally different. It's exactly like Umbrella Corps! ;P

So the best case scenario in my conspiracy theory addled brain is that this game is being shit out to be bad on purpose. They know that the first Metal Gear without Kojima's involvement is gonna be torn apart anyway, so why put any effort in? So they're setting the bar as low as possible, so the next one will feel like a step up.

Or I dunno, maybe they're not that savvy and this really is the best they can do...

I promise you they absolutely think this is a terrific idea.

It's the perfect showcase for how hilariously out of touch they are. Like Mr Burns throwing his money away at outdated investments while a bunch of Yes Men lack the courage to tell him otherwise.

• Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Eh, I dunno. I'll wait to see gameplay and/or play a demo before making a judgement about its worth.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    God dammit.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166