Options

[Konami] I guess they remembered they're supposed to make games?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Last I heard, MGSV barely broke even. For their bestselling hit entry, that's bad and not worth keeping an auteur on board.

And also not worth creating any more new games in the series! ....wait.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I didn't say that! Just no longer worth indulging Kojima. Now they're free to shit out whatever using the IP. Oh hey, look what they're doing right now!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    After quiet and metallic trachea,I'm not sure how whatever stupidity konami comes up with will be so much worse than kojimas

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Do we know who the developer of Survive is? I mean, it's being published by Konami, but they could have taken the Fox Engine and MGSV assets and just given them to somebody else to work with, right? We might be surprised by the quality of output that appears from some scrappy developer who doesn't have to hand-tool a graphics engine.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly, it's pretty surprising we're getting a new Metal Gear at all -- it seemed Konami was winding down its western publishing.

Though when the game hits and it inevitably sells horribly (which is likely; the similar Resident Evil spin-offs haven't done great and that was without fan animosity) they'll probably take it as a sign to just give up already.

Eh, I'm kind of hoping it does well in spite of its vocally toxic fanbase. Bonus points if it does well because said fanbase "hate-buys" it just to mock it.

The fans aren't toxic, the company is. I'm having trouble understanding your viewpoint. Like... at all.

Not really too keen on discussing this further since people like to conflate criticisms of a speech pattern with an attempt to suppress it and all; I have no authority to say stop doing it, nor have I said as much. The circumstances within Konami the company and the half-stories that we have regarding what happens there don't preclude the fanbase exhibiting toxic behaviors of their own.

Looking around (as in, not just here) there's nothing but negative commentary, reinforced by further negative commentary and meme parroting about this game before it's even been released. When a person (or fanbase) is only capable of seeing the negative and fixating on that negativity and actively driving conversations towards that negativity... it's become toxic. When people have to defensively state that this is a thing that they may like to other fans of the same franchise and whatnot... the environment is toxic. And so-on and so-forth.

There really isn't enough information about this game out there to shit on it like it's being shit on, is what I'm getting at.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The whole staff of Kojima Productions had been laid off, and many of them went on to join Kojima at his new studio. I doubt hardly anyone who actually worked on MGSV is involved with this new game.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    that's excessive! I think they're one good game away from break even, personally. It's just that I won't believe they can deliver one until they actually do.

Much as I love Kojima, Konami's poor treatment of him only seems to be good business. Guy went way over time and budget on MGSV. Firing him and cancelling his other project is a rationale course. To be honest, I'm worried Death Stranding will be mismanaged too! ;P

Metal Gear Solid is their bestselling series. Firing the creator after another hit entry and then ostracizing the fanbase is rational? As someone with more than one biz degree I say ha ha ha fuck no to that noise.

I thought their best selling series was Winning Eleven.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    It's probably Kojima Productions Konami LA, they did the multiplayer in MGSV.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    that's excessive! I think they're one good game away from break even, personally. It's just that I won't believe they can deliver one until they actually do.

Much as I love Kojima, Konami's poor treatment of him only seems to be good business. Guy went way over time and budget on MGSV. Firing him and cancelling his other project is a rationale course. To be honest, I'm worried Death Stranding will be mismanaged too! ;P

Metal Gear Solid is their bestselling series. Firing the creator after another hit entry and then ostracizing the fanbase is rational? As someone with more than one biz degree I say ha ha ha fuck no to that noise.

I thought their best selling series was Winning Eleven.

So clearly the next step is to execute Pele on live television. BUSINESS LOGIC!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    I'm honestly not prepared for whatever bullshit they'll try to sell us for the next Silent Hill.

I know exactly how it's going to go down too: since they lost the S-tier team up of Del Toro, Kojima and Reedus, they'll instead try to scrounge up whatever B C-list Hollywood talent they can find.

So watch out for the new and betterer Silent Hills by James Wan, starring famous American actor from the hit TV series "Gotham", James Van Deer Beek!
    watch the actual acquisitions be way worse

We at Konami are proud to announce our partnership with Happy Madison productions on the new Silent Hill project, Annoying Hill.

I'd like to think that Adam Sandler is too classy to work with Konami.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not prepared for whatever bullshit they'll try to sell us for the next Silent Hill.

I know exactly how it's going to go down too: since they lost the S-tier team up of Del Toro, Kojima and Reedus, they'll instead try to scrounge up whatever B C-list Hollywood talent they can find.

So watch out for the new and betterer Silent Hills by James Wan, starring famous American actor from the hit TV series "Gotham", James Van Deer Beek!

We at Konami are proud to announce our partnership with Happy Madison productions on the new Silent Hill project, Annoying Hill.

I'd like to think that Adam Sandler is too classy to work with Konami.

Say what you want about his abilities, Sandler actually finishes projects.

• Options
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Breaking news

The female zombies will be half naked

Because of a virus that attacks language

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Gator wrote: »
    Breaking news

The female zombies will be half naked

Because of a virus that attacks language

Give them some credit. At least three quarters.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/konami-says-metal-gear-survive-will-not-full-priced-game/

What do you have to say about Kojima?

"No comment."

What can you tell us about this game?

"Wormholes."

Who is developing this?

"Japan."

Was this planned when Kojima was still working with you?

"Fuck you."

How much will this cost?

"Money."

Can you tell us anything else about the game?

"Metal Gear is stealth and action."

• Options
    http://www.siliconera.com/2016/08/19/konami-says-metal-gear-survive-will-not-full-priced-game/

What do you have to say about Kojima?

"No comment."

What can you tell us about this game?

"Wormholes."

Who is developing this?

"Japan."

Was this planned when Kojima was still working with you?

"Fuck you."

How much will this cost?

"Money."

Can you tell us anything else about the game?

"Metal Gear is stealth and action."

So, Konami brand manager Richard Jones was the person spoken to. The full contents of the interview which Silconera is commenting from is here.

I've stripped that interview down to his actual words:
    "So as you can see from the trailer, Survive is set after the events of Ground Zeroes," ... "The Mother Base that had been built up during the Peacewalker storyline gets sabotaged from within and destroyed; that all collapses into the sea. Boss and Miller managed to escape, and they go off and have a few adventures which obviously we all know from The Phantom Pain. Unfortunately, not all of the Mother Base staff get off alive, so some of them are left stranded. But, before anything else untimely happens, they end up being pulled through a wormhole. So, an unexplained wormhole opens up and pulls the staff, parts of mother base, other items and all sorts of detritus through" ...

... "When your soldier wakes up, they are in a desert landscape. A very forbidding, foreboding, alien-looking landscape with lots of twisted wreckage and lots of things that have fallen through this wormhole. So you'll find half-formed, half-destroyed structures and all kinds of interesting stuff there. But it's not only the structures that are being pulled through; a lot of staff have also come through. So this is where the co-op comes into this game. You're not alone; there are other people there, and in order for you to survive and in order to be successful, you need to work as a team. in order to do that you need to work strategically, and work to your strengths."

... "Co-op is only one of the gameplay mechanics, obviously Metal Gear is well-known for its stealth, that is, primarily, what makes Metal Gear. There is stealth in it, I know when you're watching the trailer it's all very action-packed and it doesn't really elicit that feeling, but there will be stealth and one of the really interesting things that we will be exploring and playing with is how stealth and co-op can actually co-exist. We've formed gameplay that that kind of allows and enhances that. We're not going into a lot of depth at the moment, but we will, obviously, in the future." ...

... "You've got your co-op, you've got your stealth, and you will have seen what we're calling our massive biological threats in the trailer. Let me assure you, those are just a teaser, just a little taste of some of the things that you will encounter in this new alternative landscape. If you watch the trailer to the end you'll see a camera pan that kind of elicits a few suggestions, but I won't say more than that." This is where I'm left puzzled and a little turned off; Metal Gear was, in my mind, often about besting powerful and more importantly intelligent enemies through wit and skill. Everything we've seen in this Metal Gear: Survive trailer points to fighting against mindless bullet and/or spear sponges that would look more at home in a latter Resident Evil game.

"In order to help you manage these threats there will be new and alternative weapons. One of the things that Metal Gear is well-known for, and very good at, is giving you a vast array of equipment from weapons to items to all forms of devices and allowing you to experiment and use those creatively. And that is part of the fun and part of what makes Metal Gear Metal Gear; it's the creativity around using your weapons and items. And it's something we've looked at and something which we're hoping to build upon with new weapons."

Basically a verbal summary of the trailer and press release. And confirmation that it won't be $60 bucks.

Lastly, here's the only mention and response about Kojima:
    ... Just before our gathering got hurried out the door as our brief Powerpoint presentation ended, we tried squeezing in a couple of questions."When in the timeline of Kojima disappearing was this... was this started prior to his exit or...?" "Yeah we're not talking about that right now. Thank you for your questions, and genuinely sorry that at the moment we can't go into any more depth." "Is it being developed in Japan?" "Yes." "Do you have a director attached yet?" "We're not talking about that at the moment. Sorry."

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    It's probably Kojima Productions Konami LA, they did the multiplayer in MGSV.

Guess not, since they said it's being developed in Japan.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Yeah, not being extremely confident of that :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    There are stealth elements in most sand-box type zombie games... it's a necessity for the survival component, so really not sure how co-op and stealth don't mesh or gel or whatever they're trying to get at myself.

Other than that, wait and see game is still wait and see for me.

• Options
    Konami's been doing some streams of the Deja Vu mission from Ground Zeroes over the past couple weeks with youtubers, so the PR guy has had to say Kojima's name more than you think they'd be comfortable with.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    I wonder if Kojima will even get so much as a "Original Series Creator: Hideo Kojima" in the new game's credits.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Konami's next game: Lost in Kojima: A Being John Malkovich/Lost in Blue mashup

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I wonder if Kojima will even get so much as a "Original Series Creator: Hideo Kojima" in the new game's credits.

Considering they actively tried to remove him from TPP...

I'm still wondering why they even decided to go with using the MGS license. They could've created a new property with the Fox Engine... but we all know they'll try to milk it for all its worth, just in case the Pachinko Machine isn't a hit.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    I mean, the gameplay of MGSV plus co-op doesn't sound bad at all.

Especially because MGSV was probably a better "dicking around with enemy guards" simulator than anything else, doing that with buddies could be a lot of fun.

• Options
    Drovek wrote: »

I'm still wondering why they even decided to go with using the MGS license. They could've created a new property with the Fox Engine... but we all know they'll try to milk it for all its worth, just in case the Pachinko Machine isn't a hit.

Because they already have the art assets for a MGS game and because they have an IP that is known and popular. It would make very little business sense to go with a new IP.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Because they already have the art assets for a MGS game and because they have an IP that is known and popular. It would make very little business sense to go with a new IP.

Unless, of course, you actively burned any goodwill towards that franchise and its fans in the previous months.

I would say it would've been much better to have a clean break, even reusing some of the art assets but still making sure it was a different property altogether. At least it would be a clean effort instead of being burdened.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Going with Metal Gear means you can use already created assets and story pieces from MGSV instead of having to invent a whole new universe.

Plus, while people here in the Metal Gear thread know what happened with Konami and Kojima, the average Joe Schmo doesn't know shit and just sees METAL GEAR as the first two words of the title, so there is brand recognition there.

Also, you can't exactly sell Mother Base coins in a non-Metal Gear game, can you?

• Options

Going with Metal Gear means you can use already created assets and story pieces from MGSV instead of having to invent a whole new universe.

Plus, while people here in the Metal Gear thread know what happened with Konami and Kojima, the average Joe Schmo doesn't know shit and just sees METAL GEAR as the first two words of the title, so there is brand recognition there.

Also, you can't exactly sell Mother Base coins in a non-Metal Gear game, can you?

For maximum burn, change currency to Pachinko balls (or whatever they're called?)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options

Unless, of course, you actively burned any goodwill towards that franchise and its fans in the previous months.

I would say it would've been much better to have a clean break, even reusing some of the art assets but still making sure it was a different property altogether. At least it would be a clean effort instead of being burdened.

I think you are honestly overly valuing how much the goodwill towards MGS has been burned. To the average consumer MGSV was a super fun game that reviewed well.

Gotta remember that people like us that follow the industry are a niche subset of the people they are selling to.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    You know, after watching it again I sort of wonder if the whole trailer thing is just bullshit to test the idea publicly before committing to a full production.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular

Especially because MGSV was probably a better "dicking around with enemy guards" simulator than anything else, doing that with buddies could be a lot of fun.

Manipulating attention is a basic part of stealth, and there's no better way to draw someone's attention than shooting at them. I can see plenty of situations where guards are frantically searching for their attacker, while someone else slips through the area that they were supposed to be guarding.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Can't imagine ever giving them benefit of the doubt again

• Options

Enemy guards.

Not crystal zombies.

• Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular

In all fairness I would be willing to pay good money to stick Sandler in a room with Pyramid Head.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Enemy guards.

Not crystal zombies.

There was a whole game about two people dicking around with eyeless zombies.

• Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Honestly, it's pretty surprising we're getting a new Metal Gear at all -- it seemed Konami was winding down its western publishing.

Though when the game hits and it inevitably sells horribly (which is likely; the similar Resident Evil spin-offs haven't done great and that was without fan animosity) they'll probably take it as a sign to just give up already.

Eh, I'm kind of hoping it does well in spite of its vocally toxic fanbase. Bonus points if it does well because said fanbase "hate-buys" it just to mock it.

The fans aren't toxic, the company is. I'm having trouble understanding your viewpoint. Like... at all.

Not really too keen on discussing this further since people like to conflate criticisms of a speech pattern with an attempt to suppress it and all; I have no authority to say stop doing it, nor have I said as much. The circumstances within Konami the company and the half-stories that we have regarding what happens there don't preclude the fanbase exhibiting toxic behaviors of their own.

Looking around (as in, not just here) there's nothing but negative commentary, reinforced by further negative commentary and meme parroting about this game before it's even been released. When a person (or fanbase) is only capable of seeing the negative and fixating on that negativity and actively driving conversations towards that negativity... it's become toxic. When people have to defensively state that this is a thing that they may like to other fans of the same franchise and whatnot... the environment is toxic. And so-on and so-forth.

There really isn't enough information about this game out there to shit on it like it's being shit on, is what I'm getting at.

What exactly has Konami done to deserve respect in the past year? Like, PT was critically acclaimed and they did everything in their power to obliterate it from existence, They began pushing HD remakes of their classic games not so that they could be re-released for the console market but instead used as the basis for god damm pachinko machines and were so insanely petty that they wouldn't let Kojima accept a reward at the VGAs.

On top of all of that, they're squatting on IP's that many people legitimately love with no intention of developing them in any sort of worthwhile manner.

If they want our respect after the sheer volume of bullshit they've orchestrated then they need to earn it back.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

Keep in mind we're living in a world where Prey, of all things, is getting a reboot. Since the game is completely different they could have called it anything, but nope, they decided to go with a known, if zero-wattage, property.

AAA game development be cray-cray.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So a thought occured to me about something that would engender some good will from gamers; what if Konami began re-releasing stuff from their archives for steam?

Like, Suikoden is a great franchise, but a lot of people can't play the originals because they cost an arm and a leg (Suikoden 2 goes for $150 canadian and thats for a used copy!), but with a steam release they could and it would cost them effectively nothing in terms of distribution and manufacturing due to the abscence of physical media.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So a thought occured to me about something that would engender some good will from gamers; what if Konami began re-releasing stuff from their archives for steam?

Like, Suikoden is a great franchise, but a lot of people can't play the originals because they cost an arm and a leg (Suikoden 2 goes for $150 canadian and thats for a used copy!), but with a steam release they could and it would cost them effectively nothing in terms of distribution and manufacturing due to the abscence of physical media.

So now that we've discussed why they won't be doing that...

Suikoden pachinko machine?

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »

Suikoden 1 & 2 are on the PSN for $10 a piece. Playable on PS3, PSVita, and PSP.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //