Options

Choose Your Own [Conspiracy Theories]

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    What was the punchline? Listened to it three times and couldn't catch it.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    What was the punchline? Listened to it three times and couldn't catch it.

A different politician for a mainstream party espoused flat earth views and gained in the polls?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Rudy Giuliani didn't make a mistake, he confirmed that there's a 9-11 conspiracy!

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Emissary42 wrote: »
    My favorite conspiracy theory dates from the Apollo era, and it's my favorite because it's simple enough to be plausible. It goes like this: the Apollo 12 landing was intended as a further demonstration of US missile targeting mastery by landing the LEM within walking distance of an earlier probe, Surveyor 3. However, before making this announcement they had to figure out if they had been successful, so the LEM crew popped the top hatch and visually located the probe upon landing from the higher vantage point. None of these activities are on-record, though there is a communications gap on the open signal normally used for lunar operations during the time when this would have taken place. The whole thing is exceptionally simple and explainable, with no grand forces behind it other than the well established dick-waving contest between the US & USSR in developing ever more accurate and powerful missile technologies.

This raises the question where the line is between a "normal" off-books/classified operation and a full-blown conspiracy is. I recognize that by definition a conspiracy doesn't have to involve many people or be very wide-reaching in scope/goal but our perception of what qualifies as a conspiracy has become a bit warped thanks to media.

That's not even a conspiracy really. That's sound PR management.

There is a continuum of time from before launch to after landing when they could have announced their intentions. Did the announcement come after they landed? Then this is the plausible explanation; they were waiting for confirmation.

Based on current dictionary definitions, "conspiracy" generally implies ill intent. Verifying you're right before opening your mouth doesn't really count.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Can someone explain numerology? I went down that rabbit hole the other day. Saw many videos showing how names/events/dates add up (or using magic math) to equal a number. But no video or comment ever mentioned what does it mean, or why it matters. So Obamas birthday adds up to 33, why does that matter? Also it seems every number is evil.

Flat Earth, fake Moon landing, reptile people I can at least see the reasoning behind the insanity. But I'm really struggling to understand the motive or reason for numerology.

Here's how it works:

You go to Google and assemble a list of symbolically or ritualistically significant numbers either in your religion or in another (if you're dealing with Obama, it's always good to have a list for Islam handy as well).

Then you go to the subject you're "researching" and you make a list of any kind of number associated with them - birth dates, number of people in a group, ages, names converted into integer strings. Translate shit into other langauges and then convert it into integer strings. Spell shit backwards and convert it to integer strings.

Then you do stuff with those numbers. Any kind of stuff is ok, math or otherwise - add them subtract them concatenate them into longer numbers then pull out digits to make shorter ones throw in significant numbers if you're not getting anywhere to stir the pot - anything is kosher! Just keep doing stuff to the numbers until you have the significant numbers you want, in any configuration possible - even if the digits aren't together, as long as you have them. If they're not even in the same number remember you can concatenate, rearrange, and crop, just do stuff to the numbers. If you're not getting the right numbers, just go to a different religion, if you keep getting 9's you can do some Norse shit to that. If you're still not getting anything useful, just call it Native American or Sub-Saharan African and ascribe whatever the fuck meaning you want to any numbers you want and have done with it.

TL;DR: It's not just bullshit, but it's bullshit you have to do consciously and intentionally to reach a desired outcome, otherwise you will reach no outcome.

You shouldn't have to do anything too outrageous, and if you get far enough down the instructions that you're just making up meanings, you didn't try very hard. Because once you get a good crop of integers to play with you can eventually get any number you want by playing with them long enough.

But what happens then! It just feels like a very long joke without a punch line. Yes Obama mean 666 and 33 and 123, but what does that mean? It was incredibly unsatisfying watching this videos where they spend half an hour or more telling you the numbers and then it just ends. At least with flat earth after the half hour it ends with "and that's why there's no such thing as gravity". Numerology feels like a huge tease.

That's what the first step is for, the list. Example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_numerology

Numerology is a means to draw connections between things that you failed to connect by any other tangible means.

It is more a method than a conspiracy. The assertion that a numerological link has any meaning at all is premised either as secret messages from god, or things being intentionally named in a numerologically related manner so They can readily identify Themselves or Their works from us/ours.

I give earnest numerologists credit, because, in their mind, they are taking an evidence-based approach to convincing others of their delusions. They are, unfortunately, quite mad.

• Options
    Can someone explain numerology? I went down that rabbit hole the other day. Saw many videos showing how names/events/dates add up (or using magic math) to equal a number. But no video or comment ever mentioned what does it mean, or why it matters. So Obamas birthday adds up to 33, why does that matter? Also it seems every number is evil.

Flat Earth, fake Moon landing, reptile people I can at least see the reasoning behind the insanity. But I'm really struggling to understand the motive or reason for numerology.

Here's how it works:

You go to Google and assemble a list of symbolically or ritualistically significant numbers either in your religion or in another (if you're dealing with Obama, it's always good to have a list for Islam handy as well).

Then you go to the subject you're "researching" and you make a list of any kind of number associated with them - birth dates, number of people in a group, ages, names converted into integer strings. Translate shit into other langauges and then convert it into integer strings. Spell shit backwards and convert it to integer strings.

Then you do stuff with those numbers. Any kind of stuff is ok, math or otherwise - add them subtract them concatenate them into longer numbers then pull out digits to make shorter ones throw in significant numbers if you're not getting anywhere to stir the pot - anything is kosher! Just keep doing stuff to the numbers until you have the significant numbers you want, in any configuration possible - even if the digits aren't together, as long as you have them. If they're not even in the same number remember you can concatenate, rearrange, and crop, just do stuff to the numbers. If you're not getting the right numbers, just go to a different religion, if you keep getting 9's you can do some Norse shit to that. If you're still not getting anything useful, just call it Native American or Sub-Saharan African and ascribe whatever the fuck meaning you want to any numbers you want and have done with it.

TL;DR: It's not just bullshit, but it's bullshit you have to do consciously and intentionally to reach a desired outcome, otherwise you will reach no outcome.

You shouldn't have to do anything too outrageous, and if you get far enough down the instructions that you're just making up meanings, you didn't try very hard. Because once you get a good crop of integers to play with you can eventually get any number you want by playing with them long enough.

But what happens then! It just feels like a very long joke without a punch line. Yes Obama mean 666 and 33 and 123, but what does that mean? It was incredibly unsatisfying watching this videos where they spend half an hour or more telling you the numbers and then it just ends. At least with flat earth after the half hour it ends with "and that's why there's no such thing as gravity". Numerology feels like a huge tease.

That's what the first step is for, the list. Example:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_numerology

Numerology is a means to draw connections between things that you failed to connect by any other tangible means.

It is more a method than a conspiracy. The assertion that a numerological link has any meaning at all is premised either as secret messages from god, or things being intentionally named in a numerologically related manner so They can readily identify Themselves or Their works from us/ours.

I give earnest numerologists credit, because, in their mind, they are taking an evidence-based approach to convincing others of their delusions. They are, unfortunately, quite mad.
    Yep, it's not an unreasonable conclusion if you think the universe was carefully designed. There's even a few cases where they're right and the numbers were picked intentionally! The Book of Matthew appears to fudge some genealogy so that Jesus can be the 3x10 descendant of Abraham.

But what's interesting is that the two most common "divine" numbers in the Bible are 3 and 7. The two single-digit numbers people are most likely to pick randomly.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Pshh! It's not random - it's evidence!

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Pshh! It's not random - it's evidence!

Depends on which way you assign the causality :)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    And I feel obligated to point out that 616 is used in some ofoldest survivinganuscripts instead.

Also that Nero works either way depending on spelling.

This makes Marvel's primary universe much, much funnier.

Depending on who you talk to, that's intentional.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth-616
    A difference of opinion exists regarding the selection of the number 616. In 2005, Moore's son-in-law John Reppion (married to Moore's daughter Leah Moore) stated on an Internet message board that the number 616 was arbitrarily chosen by Moore, saying it "was just a random number of no significance chosen because people always seemed to be talking about 'earth 2' or 'earth 4' but never any higher numbers." However, Davis has said that it comes from 616, a variation on the Number of the Beast, picked because Thorpe "wasn't a fan of the modern superhero genre" and expressed this in his stories, "such as recording his opinion of the Marvel Universe with the designation 616."

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    They really should have had Guillermo devour those pickles right at the end, it would have been perfect

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Oh my god. The youtube comments.

Jimmy got called out for his pathetic stunt to cover-up Hillary Clinton's failing health and is now trying to laugh off his fraud.
    OK - it was funny. But I repeat my "Double Dare" - lets apply the scientific method - REPRODUCIBILITY..... Have her repeat the jar opening on live TV. Let her open a JAR of pickles from a randomly selected jar out of a brand new case of her own choosing. - OK Jimmy K - may be right, a President will never have to open their own pickle jar. God knows Hillary should never eat pickles anyway. ( too high in sodium ) Ms. Clinton - will be the worst thing to ever happen to America. Alex Jones - is funny in small doses. Jimmy K - is being USED to prop up a very weak, ill and flawed candidate. Hillary is the most Corrupt, and fraudulent candidate to ever get this close to election.
    He's a genius - riding the new "alt right" media enlightenment. There is a paradigm shift. It literally happened yesterday with the Establishment's speech in reno. Cheers everyone. The truth is going mainstream.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular

Dear god the comments, you would have thought they were released from the jar she opened they are so salty.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I tried to watch that video but about 30 seconds in I think I began to scroll to the comments, now everything in going black, and all I can hear is a high pitched noise and I think every hole in my face is now bleeding.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    My favorite thing about Pickleghazi is that the only reason it exists is because what was obviously a joke so deeply cut into the conspiratorial talking points that it needed answered directly by those who are pushing the conspiracy.

If ridicule can destroy your operating assumptions with that kind of efficiency, basic sanity dictates that those assumptions need reexamined.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    What is pickle gate?

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    What is pickle gate?

There is a right-wing conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton's health is failing

She went on Jimmy Kimmel's show and he challenged her to open a jar of pickles live on television, which she did

Naturally this was immediately and forcefully claimed to have been rigged with all the thoughtfulness you'd expect of people who believe 9/11 was an inside job and no one was killed at Sandy Hook

Jet fuel can't open a jar of pickles, etc

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Like, this goes right to the heart of the disease

To these people there are certain TRUTHS that THEY are trying to CONCEAL from the public

Any evidence offered that they are incorrect, their TRUTHS are actually false or misguided, is immediately discredited as part of the cover-up

Whoever presented that evidence is also instantly written off as ONE OF THEM, a conspirator, or an ignorant pawn

You can't reason with them because anything that backs their theory is regarded as irrefutable proof and anything that doesn't is manufactured and thus, more proof that the conspiracy exists

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    My favorite thing about Pickleghazi is that the only reason it exists is because what was obviously a joke so deeply cut into the conspiratorial talking points that it needed answered directly by those who are pushing the conspiracy.

If ridicule can destroy your operating assumptions with that kind of efficiency, basic sanity dictates that those assumptions need reexamined.

If you're watching Alex jones in earnest basic sanity left the building a long long time ago

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

To these people there are certain TRUTHS that THEY are trying to CONCEAL from the public

Any evidence offered that they are incorrect, their TRUTHS are actually false or misguided, is immediately discredited as part of the cover-up

Whoever presented that evidence is also instantly written off as ONE OF THEM, a conspirator, or an ignorant pawn

You can't reason with them because anything that backs their theory is regarded as irrefutable proof and anything that doesn't is manufactured and thus, more proof that the conspiracy exists

this is clearly part of the cover up

Al_wat on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/science/2016/08/24/haarps-new-owner-holds-open-house-to-prove-facility-is-not-capable-of-mind-control/

Of course Ill take the tour and walk away thinking that it's not capable of mind control, it's a test! Wake up sheeple!

The academic liberal elite want to take us over with their book lernin'!

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    http://www.adn.com/alaska-news/science/2016/08/24/haarps-new-owner-holds-open-house-to-prove-facility-is-not-capable-of-mind-control/

Of course Ill take the tour and walk away thinking that it's not capable of mind control, it's a test! Wake up sheeple!

I'm not a conspiracy nut, but that is clearly a trap to lure in people for mind control experiments. :rotate:

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular

HAARP was never able to control anyone's mind anyway, that was MKUltra. HAARPs function is to create funny designs in the clouds.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Veevee wrote: »

HAARP was never able to control anyone's mind anyway, that was MKUltra. HAARPs function is to create funny designs in the clouds.

I'm watching you, Disinfo Agent.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

There's a famous old post from Reddit's conspiracy board:
    Ah the "E" word, the last refuge of a shill scoundrel. "Evidence." How can we have evidence when the most powerful organizations on earth are destroying and obfuscating evidence, and turning attack dogs against us? We have something better and clearer than evidence, the "known truth." Known truth is a powerful tool in the war on disinformation. It's a fact that is self-evidently true, but cannot be confirmed using the tools of the truth suppressor.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    The "tools of the truth suppressor," like the laws of physics are no more rigid than traffic laws.

• Options
  • Options
    When the reality you believe in is literally indistinguishable from made-up bullshit, you should probably consider mental health treatment. For your own good as well as ours.

• Options
    When the reality you believe in is literally indistinguishable from made-up bullshit, you should probably consider mental health treatment. For your own good as well as ours.

Of course, it's an all-too popular belief that mental health problems are manufactured/controlled by whatever shadowy organization you think is pulling the strings.

Scientology famously espouses this, for example.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Pretty much all the conspiracy theory communities will promptly disown even a figurehead if they undergo any kind of mental treatment.

For example, there's a big name chemtrailer right now who's really fell off the deep end. Most of the money raised for a chemtrail movie went up his nose, and the last time I saw anyone copy a post from him it was about Obama and Bill Clinton coming to his house in a black semi and teabagging him in his bathtub while showing him documents about the oil fortune they stole from his family.

It's been decided that he's just always been an undercover psyop disinfo shill, except they broke his brain with the last round of brainwashing but let him back out of the box anyway because his antics will discredit the entire movement.

See, not only will the one group that hasn't alienated you for being crazy alienate you, they will reach back in time and erase you from their own history if you ever actually admit you might maybe be a bit unhinged.

Hevach on
  • Options
    When Obama is out of office I would love a buddy movie with him and Bill Clinton traveling in a Black Semi messing with people.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular

The problem with this is that there's no objective way, in practice, to distinguish between delusions and, say, religious beliefs (I say this as a Christian). Usually we rely on tradition and number of adherents, but conspiracy theories have both in spades. For that matter, fundamentalist Christians use a lot of the same arguments to defend their beliefs (scientists/the government are suppressing evidence, because they don't want people to know the Truth!). The difference is that it's more culturally acceptable to believe in young earth creationism than it is to believe that the moon landing was faked or that the government is putting mind-control drugs in your drinking water.

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    So the latest one I'm seeing a bit is that we've all been brainwashed by the meat and dairy industry since birth into believing we need to eat meat so as to inflate their profits. There's no evidence that humans were meant to eat meat and only rich people used to eat meat regularly. If we all adopt a plant based diet we'll all live much healthier lives plus it'll end the unnecessary slaughter of cows, sheep, pigs, etc and they'll be able to live fulfilling lives instead, I guess? Even Arnie has turned vegan so obviously that's reason enough for the rest of us to follow suit. There's even a youtube video apparently or something, 'Cowspiracy". I suspect it's similar to those other hard hitting documentaries like 'Loose Change', 'Zeitgeist', etc?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I mean, as long as you have sources of protein in your diet, you don't need to eat meat. And dairy is not great for a large portion of the population.

So it's not wrong on the surface.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    So, did we get brainwashed to think that meat is delicious, too?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    On the other hand, grain farming basically gave us tooth decay, so plants aren't above reproach.

If we pack in this whole civilization thing we can stop flossing.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    On the other hand, grain farming basically gave us tooth decay, so plants aren't above reproach.

I mean, the whole "people's only eat bread because of a conspiracy from the banking industry" meme went around a little while ago.

That conspiracy would need to be like ten thousand years running, but hey all the best conspiracies are, right?

Daedalus on
  • Options

We really only have to worry about tooth decay if we plan on living past 40.

Logan's Run was right all along!

• Options

Actually, flossing doesn't actually help with tooth care.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

Actually, flossing doesn't actually help with tooth care.

Maybe so, but it helps get the little annoying bits of chicken, beef, pork, fish, and other various meats from between my teeth.

This discussion has been closed.