Options

Rat Rod [chat]

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    what's my choice in age of the child

are these cage-free children? i don't want the meat to be all stringy and tough from too much developed muscle

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    DragonCon doesn't even officially start till Friday and the host hotels are already filling up

https://youtube.com/watch?v=O69kYA4GUVI

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    AnnularEclipse_Pinski_1522.jpg

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Wire head we are headed to DC right now. Is there a PA meetup?

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    ”I have been assured by a very knowing American of my acquaintance in London, that a young healthy child well nursed is at a year old a most delicious, nourishing, and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled ...”

• Options
    OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    invite.jpg

a modest proposal.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Oh shit dude! I'll pm you.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

It'st he end of the world

*freaks out*

*riots*

*panics*

*destroys construction site*

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I have no idea how it got inside but I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye on the floor and my first thought was KILL THE SPIDER but it was one of the little tree frogs that I am so fond of. The poor thing was kinda dried out and just covered in pet hair and dust, dirt, all the crap that accumulates under furniture in this house. It was barely hopping, in fact I think I might have spotted it on the last hop it was going to be able to make.

I deposited it outside in some wet leaves and it was curled up and not looking in good shape at all. I kept dumping tap water on it from a shot glass and after a while it started to wipe it's head with one of it's forelegs so I took that as a good sign and filled a drinking glass with water and really hosed it down to wash the crap off it it. It hopped a couple times after that so I think it will be alright now.

• Options
    So It Goes wrote: »

Oh shit dude! I'll pm you.
    OMG YES PM MEEEEE

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I have no idea how it got inside but I saw something moving out of the corner of my eye on the floor and my first thought was KILL THE SPIDER but it was one of the little tree frogs that I am so fond of. The poor thing was kinda dried out and just covered in pet hair and dust, dirt, all the crap that accumulates under furniture in this house. It was barely hopping, in fact I think I might have spotted it on the last hop it was going to be able to make.

I deposited it outside in some wet leaves and it was curled up and not looking in good shape at all. I kept dumping tap water on it from a shot glass and after a while it started to wipe it's head with one of it's forelegs so I took that as a good sign and filled a drinking glass with water and really hosed it down to wash the crap off it it. It hopped a couple times after that so I think it will be alright now.

I enjoy froggers

• Options
    Wait DC equals dragon con not district of Colombia.

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    fuzzy you nut

• Options
    SIG I HOPE YOU ARE AT DRAGONCON AHHH

• Options
    Sorry I'm on mobile and totes spamming chat. My bad.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I enjoy froggers

frogs are like puppers of the amphibian world

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    No she is in Washington DC.

But @simonwolf is at Dragoncon.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

I enjoy froggers

well I mean

poison tree frog

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    it's so cute *pets, dies*

• Options
    poison tree pupper

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    A fucking tropical storm is supposed to hit DragonCon tomorrow and Friday, hope it won't screw up the parade.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    haha i saw wirehead make a post about dragoncon

and then i saw fuzzy say "wire head we are headed to DC" and i just thought it was some weird autocorrect mistake and how could you possibly mean anything other than the nation's capital

• Options
    One day when I go home I will meet the DC crew! My BF also is obsessed with all things Maryland because it's got flag pride like Texas.

• Options
    Trace wrote: »

I enjoy froggers

well I mean

poison tree frog

it's okay

is friend

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think I write pretty well. I have an English medal from my associates level classes in community college that says I kicked ass on my freshman and sophomore year papers.

Then you go on to science stuff and it's like "Fuck the beauty and majesty of the English language, how much information can you pack into as few lines as possible it doesn't matter if it requires three interpreters a deaf-mute jesuit savant and a supercomputer to translate it!"

Good science writing is impossible. Ok not impossible, but really really hard. The precision of language required totally sabotages attempts at readability. The best you can do is be concise and do your best to unambiguously convey the facts you need to convey. I can remember only two pleasant, readable scientific papers from my entire academic career.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options

I enjoy froggers

I'm a little iffy on the bullfrogs but the tiny tree frogs are pretty adorable.

I went out to check on it again and it hasn't really moved from where it was but it's sitting properly now, not curled up like its dying, and it rained quite heavily today so it should be fine for now. If it's still there in the morning I will catch it again and deposit it at the creek.

• Options
    I think I write pretty well. I have an English medal from my associates level classes in community college that says I kicked ass on my freshman and sophomore year papers.

Then you go on to science stuff and it's like "Fuck the beauty and majesty of the English language, how much information can you pack into as few lines as possible it doesn't matter if it requires three interpreters a deaf-mute jesuit savant and a supercomputer to translate it!"

Good science writing is impossible. Ok not impossible, but really really hard. The precision of language required totally sabotages attempts at readability. The best you can do is be concise and do your best to unambiguously convey the facts you need to convey. I can remember only two pleasant, readable scientific papers from my entire academic career.
    It didn't used to be terrible. There was a time when it was readable. I hate modern scientific writing so much.

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    Seal wrote: »

It'st he end of the world

*feels fine*

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular

It didn't used to be terrible. There was a time when it was readable. I hate modern scientific writing so much.

My thesis was breezy and casual before my adviser sent it back to me 24354564534231 times, each time with a petty complaint poking holes in the way that my use of language could potentially be misinterpreted. I ended up sneaking all the easy to read bits and key scaffolding info into figure captions, which he was way less harsh on. You can actually read my thesis and get more out of it by studying only the figures and captions.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    SiG are you in DC next week?

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    The world is ending?

*pulls up lawn chair, grabs popcorn*

Had to happen sooner or later

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

My thesis was breezy and casual before my adviser sent it back to me 24354564534231 times, each time with a petty complaint poking holes in the way that my use of language could potentially be misinterpreted. I ended up sneaking all the easy to read bits and key scaffolding info into figure captions, which he was way less harsh on. You can actually read my thesis and get more out of it by studying only the figures and captions.

My thesis is breezy and casual and also uses the allegory of the cave to explain a particular thing about image processing because I wanted to. Advisor got no say in it (he did turn the one paper I wrote into jargony trash though, and I couldn't fight it. But my own damn dissertation was going to be in my voice).

credeiki on
    Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Bill Nye is coming back?

oh my god what fucking year is it

• Options
    This is the type of frog in question, btw.

Green_Treefrog_Ron_Eakes_01.jpg

They're common throughout the south and completely harmless (as are all North American frogs, but NOT toads. There are some toads that are pet hazards).

• Options
    Bill Nye is coming back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPDZkbq0Zp8

• Options
    credeiki wrote: »

My thesis is breezy and casual and also uses the allegory of the cave to explain a particular thing about image processing because I wanted to. Advisor got no say in it (he did turn the one paper I wrote into jargony trash though, and I couldn't fight it. But my own damn dissertation was going to be in my voice).
    I want to go with an older style title. Like "A Study On Protein X" instead of "TECHNICAL CONDITION Z MADE PROTEIN X DO TECHNICAL THING IN A MODEL OF DISEASE Y"

• Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    Bill Nye is coming back?

5cidkp0hx0v4.jpeg

You go in the cage, cage goes in the water, you go in the water. Shark's in the water, our shark.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »

I want to go with an older style title. Like "A Study On Protein X" instead of "TECHNICAL CONDITION Z MADE PROTEIN X DO TECHNICAL THING IN A MODEL OF DISEASE Y"

Hopefully it'll be possible! I thought that my advisor would be an issue after what he did to our paper, but he only really quibbled with minor points of content in my dissertation, and had no problems with the style. Maybe your advisor will also allow you to have editorial control.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    You can really tell how article writing has descended into jargony stupidity when you do broad searches and read some really old articles from the 40's and earlier.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    rockrnger wrote: »
    Why are teachers presenting concepts that they don't think their students can understand?

?
    Hell we all do that.

I taught my kids to count and I couldn't tell you what a number is. Not really.

Well that's math.

Math is a fucking cargo cult held together by stockholm syndrome.

math is the actual worst

Hitler was math all along

This discussion has been closed.