As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pushups, Situps and plenty of [Chat]

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I also have O- (that's universal donor right?)

I should donate more often. They harassed our phone constantly when I gave blood in high school.

O- is a big deal yeah

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I should see why the red cross stopped calling me. I used to give blood all of the time but I would assume it would be because I am fighting blood pressure issues because of my AS being inflamed all of the time.

I have the most metal type. O-.

Morning!

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    I should see why the red cross stopped calling me. I used to give blood all of the time but I would assume it would be because I am fighting blood pressure issues because of my AS being inflamed all of the time.

Morning!

YOUR BLOOD IS EXTREEEEEEEEME!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »

Morning!

They stopped calling you because YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID

their sister warned them about you but THEY DIDN'T LISTEN

who knows who else has gotten some of that blood

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Don't they actually have a surplus of blood or it goes bad or something and so giving all the time is not actually a great idea or something?

• Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Shivahn wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    ok i gotta go do a job but I'm now at that level of sadness where I want to just sleep until it goes away

I will fall asleep in the mountains and emerge in 10 years like Rip Van Winkle, trailing a long beard behind me

I think the saddest thing I saw all week was going to a Halal butcher and seeing Trump's face plastered on the front of a muslim newspaper with a title along the lines of "what do we do now?"

Give all the Smart People in the Room at the DNC their walking papers for the culmination of twenty years of horrible strategy?

They seem determined to resist any blame, though.

I mean, that question was directed towards the muslim readership.

I think "What do we do, as minorities" is a bit of a different question (like, university queer stuff just sent around a thing lambda legal prepared for queer stuff, which reminded me of some stuff I need to do).

But yeah, the DNC has to.. fix things.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Hey @Mazzyx I looked up rates of herpes incidence the other day for no particular reason and noticed that black people have like infinity percent seropositivity

And I know that's the case with other STDs...

Do you know why that is?

I actually do not. Not specifically for herpes.

Though usually with stuff like HIV it boils down to the standard public health reasons:
    1)Poverty
    2)Poverty
    3)Racism
    4)Education and access to services thus the first three on this list

Well, I was more curious about STDs in general. I'm curious about what proximal behaviors cause this - like, is it increased number of sexual partners? Decreased condom usage? That kind of thing. Which I think all would probably flow from what you listed.

So I can think of a few things but most tie to the list.

One thing that I do know occurs in some African American communities and ties to HIV among black women at an extremely high rate is usually lack of testing of self and partners. This is due to things like stigma but also just lack of access or knowledge.

Plus there is also been some signs that the MSM community in some of these communities being stigmatized and usually having relations with both a male and female partner can lead to higher transmission rates again because of lack of communication and access to services.

Poverty though is huge with social diseases like STDs. It effects everything from safe sex practices to testing and treatment to stigma and social reactions. And there is even more issues with targeting some of the high risk communities especially do to the last part and a lot of social mistrust about outside interventions. Which is well earned thanks to some previous experiments like the Tuskegee.

Though sometimes improving effectiveness though is as simple as changing language to match the community but that takes community buy in which again is harder since poverty and experience with institutionalized racism can make communities highly defensive.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Bless your heart.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    J2wWWpEh.jpg

@Jacobkosh

This is the fifth one. People who are gonna watch it are gonna watch it no matter what. Do we really need to photoshop her breasts like that?

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Don't they actually have a surplus of blood or it goes bad or something and so giving all the time is not actually a great idea or something?
    blood doesn't keep
    i've never heard that as a reason not to give all the time (i guess the reasoning being its better to give 'when they actually need it'?), since my understanding is they have perpetual supply issues

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hey @Mazzyx I looked up rates of herpes incidence the other day for no particular reason and noticed that black people have like infinity percent seropositivity

And I know that's the case with other STDs...

Do you know why that is?

I actually do not. Not specifically for herpes.

Though usually with stuff like HIV it boils down to the standard public health reasons:
    1)Poverty
    2)Poverty
    3)Racism
    4)Education and access to services thus the first three on this list

Well, I was more curious about STDs in general. I'm curious about what proximal behaviors cause this - like, is it increased number of sexual partners? Decreased condom usage? That kind of thing. Which I think all would probably flow from what you listed.

So I can think of a few things but most tie to the list.

One thing that I do know occurs in some African American communities and ties to HIV among black women at an extremely high rate is usually lack of testing of self and partners. This is due to things like stigma but also just lack of access or knowledge.

Plus there is also been some signs that the MSM community in some of these communities being stigmatized and usually having relations with both a male and female partner can lead to higher transmission rates again because of lack of communication and access to services.

Poverty though is huge with social diseases like STDs. It effects everything from safe sex practices to testing and treatment to stigma and social reactions. And there is even more issues with targeting some of the high risk communities especially do to the last part and a lot of social mistrust about outside interventions. Which is well earned thanks to some previous experiments like the Tuskegee.

Though sometimes improving effectiveness though is as simple as changing language to match the community but that takes community buy in which again is harder since poverty and experience with institutionalized racism can make communities highly defensive.

Hah, this reminds me a lot of some of the confounds I was thinking about for that paper yesterday.

But yeah, that makes sense (especially lack of knowledge and lack of testing, given often silent diseases).

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    J2wWWpEh.jpg

This is the fifth one. People who are gonna watch it are gonna watch it no matter what. Do we really need to photoshop her breasts like that?

Yes.

Yes they do.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    EVILS GO HOME

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I should give blood this year. I was too dangerously skinny in years past and I'm reluctant to do it these days. After my blood results come in I'll look into it.

The nurse said to aim for holidays and long weekends when people are dumb and drunk. I was like damn, that's.... totally a thing, isn't it.

that's also why I don't give blood: too dangerously skinny

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Police said a 38-year-old man found the car unlocked and hopped in, taking it for a joy ride before pulling over and falling asleep. The car's owner awoke to find her car missing and notified the police, who contacted BMW's roadside assistance program to help locate the vehicle, the police report said.

“BMW employees were able to remotely lock the car’s doors, trapping the suspect inside, presumably while hissing something terrifying like ‘I’m not locked in here with you, you‘re locked in here with me’ into the car’s sound system,” wrote Jonah Spangenthal-Lee of the Seattle Police Department, quoting the comic book “Watchmen.” Spangenthal-Lee said that the quote was speculative on his part but that's what he would certainly say in the same situation.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    How are they still making those R E movies, damn

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    J2wWWpEh.jpg

@Jacobkosh

She's actually said in interviews she's a fan of outfits and shop jobs that give her boobs because she likes seeing herself with more boobness than she normally has.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    I should give blood this year. I was too dangerously skinny in years past and I'm reluctant to do it these days. After my blood results come in I'll look into it.

The nurse said to aim for holidays and long weekends when people are dumb and drunk. I was like damn, that's.... totally a thing, isn't it.

that's also why I don't give blood: too dangerously skinny
    me too
    *fans self with napkin*

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    ok i gotta go do a job but I'm now at that level of sadness where I want to just sleep until it goes away

I will fall asleep in the mountains and emerge in 10 years like Rip Van Winkle, trailing a long beard behind me

you do have an illustrious beard

better than Beasts at very least

• Options
    Also can we give props to Milla Jovovich for showing up for five goddamn Resident Evil movies?

Like seriously, give that woman an Oscar.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

I feel like I'm coming into this conversation late.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular

I think the saddest thing I saw all week was going to a Halal butcher and seeing Trump's face plastered on the front of a muslim newspaper with a title along the lines of "what do we do now?"

Give all the Smart People in the Room at the DNC their walking papers for the culmination of twenty years of horrible strategy?

They seem determined to resist any blame, though.

I mean, that question was directed towards the muslim readership.

I think "What do we do, as minorities" is a bit of a different question (like, university queer stuff just sent around a thing lambda legal prepared for queer stuff, which reminded me of some stuff I need to do).

But yeah, the DNC has to.. fix things.

The trick with the last line is that the DNC at the top won't fix things unless control of the local parties says it has to.

And that means the only way to fix things in the DNC is by taking it over bottom up.

Just like how the Kochs, Tea Party and other groups have taken over the RNC.

Dems as a whole tend to focus too much on the top.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    evil you're drunk
    go home

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think that's the sixth Resident Evil movie. The first one was OK, I think, not actually good but not insultingly awful. The second was terrible, the third back to the lofty heights of OK and then I managed five minutes of the fourth one before frowning and then turning off the TV and doing something else because honestly, come on.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also can we give props to Milla Jovovich for showing up for five goddamn Resident Evil movies?

I imagine her artistic reservations are cushioned by the wads of cash.

And it's not like she's any good in the movies. No one is.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    I think that's the sixth Resident Evil movie. The first one was OK, I think, not actually good but not insultingly awful. The second was terrible, the third back to the lofty heights of OK and then I managed five minutes of the fourth one before frowning and then turning off the TV and doing something else because honestly, come on.

I'm sure I've seen more than the first two but they have all merged into a single mess. The first one was really good though

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    errybody wants my plasma but unfortunately they're usually not set up to take it at school drives + the nearest actual red cross clinic is not accessible by bus

Wait, do they need to centrifuge the blood AS IT'S BEING DRAWN?

I think so yeah

I wonder why they can't just centrifuge blood after the fact. Most intriguing.
    when you donate plasma/red blood cells instead of whole blood, they centrifuge it and pipe the stuff they aren't taking back into you (so that they can take more of the stuff they want)

IDK, doesn't that mean you end up with too much blood cells if you donate plasma?

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    One time I was giving blood and I was like, "isn't there a thing where you won't the let me give blood if I'm gay?"

"Sexually active and gay" the lady corrected me. "Also just lie, the rule is stupid and we scan for everything anyway because we have to."

It's petty and she was nice but i still wanted to stand up and leave.

"MAYBE ILL GO FIND AN LGBT FRIENDLY BLOOD BANK, SOCIETY. WITH STRIPPERS AND GLAMOR AND WORKERS WEARING SCRUBS THAT ARE A NICE SHADE OF GREEN NOT UGLY LIKE THE NORMAL ONES"

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

It's less impressive given that her husband has been the primary directors of them.

• Options

Bogart, stop hating on Resident Evil.

It's okay if you don't like it, but come on....

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Even as a white dude I feel betrayed by this country. I liked to believe most of the folks in it were decent human beings.

They are, kind of. They're just poor and desperate and let's be honest, very stupid.

Didn't more rich white people vote for Trump than poor white people?

Yes, but that doesn't really mean a lot? There are so many more people in sub $50k or 75k incomes that that's where the competiton is - Hillary "won" those tranches, but not nearly hard enough.

Example: Someone gave me a bunch of lip about how she won Genesee County (Flint) and it was like, yes, but she won by less than 10 points . That was a stronghold; you need to be fucking crushing in the cities if you're going to cede the countryside.

I know a lot of my liberal friends were sort of pissed off by the "I'm with her" stuff that was mostly boiled down to "Vote for hillary because she's a woman" which was followed up with "Don't vote for trump, he's bad"

To a lot of people, and I'm not saying this is right or that I agree with it so plz no hate, the campaign had nothing that really stood its ground. You had a clearly "business-as-usual" candidate telling you to vote for her "or else" and it turned a lot of them off on that idea. So they stayed home.

They had countless pages of concrete policy proposals that had been (over)thought and analyzed by excessively smart people plastered up on her website from day 1

The fact that people didn't want to sit and read this doesn't mean her sales pitch was "vote for me I'm a broad" -- people have thrown this idea out over and over and it was never more than one element of "let's break the glass ceiling" in the convention and stump speeches alongside specific stuff about job training for coal miners and continuing civil rights Protections and get a Supreme Court justice in there etc

Half the country sat on their hands and didn't vote in '12 or in '08 either, this is not a problem unique to Clinton

• Options
    Hey there are two election thre-

Oh nevermind, post that shit here I guess.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Hey, don't talk about Hakkes like that!

That's my job.

• Options

She's married to the guy who directs them

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    evil you're drunk
    go home

FINE! but i'm going to DRIVE!

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    I only donated blood in high school to get out of class.

• Options
    TTODewback wrote: »
    evil you're drunk
    go home

Are you talking to me or the film series Resident Evil?

Because it's 10 am here and I'm fine, but the RE movies should definitely let someone else drive them home. Or possibly off a bridge into a river.

• Options
    Six wrote: »

I feel like I'm coming into this conversation late.

always the bridesmaid

• Options

i can only imagine working on a movie like resident evil is a lot of fun. very businesslike with hours, everything shot on a soundstage, extras goofing around in monster costumes at the craft services table, no pressure to produce some amazing work of art.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    bleric shouldn't you be studying for a midterm or something?

AH I AM AT WORK

I WAS UP TIL 6AM

WELL WHY WHERE YOU UP SO LATE?

FUCKIN

WORKING SIR

WORKING on a FINAL

THIS IN PARTICULAR

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzcsSiDHlpiEWFprYnREdWM1UVU/view?usp=sharing

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
This discussion has been closed.