Options

[Australia]. Stolen lands often referred to as a country.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    was in the shops above paddy's markets today and I was really sad to see that the gundam shop that I remember seeing years ago is no longer there.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    was in the shops above paddy's markets today and I was really sad to see that the gundam shop that I remember seeing years ago is no longer there.

Honestly that place was waaay too expensive. Usualy double to triple the cost of a HobbyCo product. Also there was word spreading that they were beginning to sell knock-off merchandise. That place used to be amazing, but it had really fallen in recent years sadly.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    This has made me realise I should stop putting off getting my eyes checked.
    Fuck small things I can't see them well enough.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Perth meeps, any NYE plans?

• Options
    pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I'm famblin, and [O']Blivienne mentioned having plans already. I'm on hols 'til the 8th though, so certainly up for something before I go back to work.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As far as I'm aware, Amy and I are doing nothing. Like, on purpose? Just going to do nothing all weekend. She needs a good rest.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Virgin Australia are incompetent nincompoops.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Y'alls graffiti is absolutely aces. I've taken to wandering around by myself in the mornings and I'm finding so many cool things in random little alleys and whatnot.

Edit: you guys need an able bodied American? I can do whatever. You need some stuff picked up? I'm really good at picking things up and putting them down again. I fucking love this country. The food is amazing and fresh and the coffee is actual coffee and there are all these little local owned specialty stores. If I never see a Wal-Mart again I'll be fine. I can't go back to SC now, man I can't.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa-1/417-

Have to be under 31 but this is generally easy to get it think.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    31 seems like such a weird age for that

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Y'alls graffiti is absolutely aces. I've taken to wandering around by myself in the mornings and I'm finding so many cool things in random little alleys and whatnot.

Edit: you guys need an able bodied American? I can do whatever. You need some stuff picked up? I'm really good at picking things up and putting them down again. I fucking love this country. The food is amazing and fresh and the coffee is actual coffee and there are all these little local owned specialty stores. If I never see a Wal-Mart again I'll be fine. I can't go back to SC now, man I can't.

OMG come here!

we have almost all of that and none of the venomous things!

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    pfft

the only thing nz has that we don't have is like, lamb shanks on every menu

every menu

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    It's...it's beautiful

*sniff*

• Options
    happy new year nerds

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Here you go, Australia

7d9rdkvi20oq.jpg

this is....

thank you lord

• Options
    Western Sydney: SuckEd in we beat you by 6 minutes.

Re: Midnight fireworks

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    In the spirit of New Years I'd like to belatedly apologise to the 2015 PAX Melbourne people I promised to meet, though I mainly screwed myself out of meeting a bunch of awesome people so I should be apologising to myself. I had a massive anxiety attack, chickened out, and spent the next three days on a pretty self destructive self-loathing drinking bender before heading back to Sydney and failing my uni course.

Prohass on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Happy new year my super sweet and swell 'stralians! May all your dreams come true in 2017! I'll join you in less than six hours!

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Saw the Opera house and the fireworks were great despite the 1 million fucking people and also holy shit I didn't know there were flying foxes here? I'm pretty sure I saw one carry off a small child.

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    In the spirit of New Years I'd like to belatedly apologise to the 2015 PAX Melbourne people I promised to meet, though I mainly screwed myself out of meeting a bunch of awesome people so I should be apologising to myself. I had a massive anxiety attack, chickened out, and spent the next three days on a pretty self destructive self-loathing drinking bender before heading back to Sydney and failing my uni course.

As one of the 2015 PAXers, I just want to say it's no biggy and totally understandable. There are always more PAXs and always more dinners. 8-)

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »

Quoting to agree with Jordan and also I was there and also agree with above sentiment and also agree that we will be back and also that you will be back and this went for too long and collapsed in on itself and [it was bad] and come this year <3

• Options
    Saw the Opera house and the fireworks were great despite the 1 million fucking people and also holy shit I didn't know there were flying foxes here? I'm pretty sure I saw one carry off a small child.

see if you can go out in the evening sometime and see the flying fox nightly migration

there are just swarms of them that fly from centennial park to the botanical gardens

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    NYE chilled house parties are the shit.

• Options
    with how the weather was i was glad i was also in a chilled house

• Options

see if you can go out in the evening sometime and see the flying fox nightly migration

there are just swarms of them that fly from centennial park to the botanical gardens

Yeah if you come by Centennial Park around 5-6pm you'll see whole colonies heading out for dinner.

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »

Yeah if you come by Centennial Park around 5-6pm you'll see whole colonies heading out for dinner.

Urgh, why would anybody go down there. It's not like they have good shops and good coffee and good markets and nice people and all that. *sniff*

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options

Urgh, why would anybody go down there. It's not like they have good shops and good coffee and good markets and nice people and all that. *sniff*

It seemed to me more like a very large and very very wet patch of grass.

We chose the wrong day to walk through that place I tell you what

• Options
    HyperBalladHyperBallad A ball of vivid colour and barely contained emotions Sydney. Lost in time and space.Registered User regular
    Cyvros wrote: »

It seemed to me more like a very large and very very wet patch of grass.

We chose the wrong day to walk through that place I tell you what

Blasphemer.

Steam: poetic_gecko.
    2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
    Twitter: @PoeticGecko
  • Options
    So, it's at a bit short notice because I thought we were going to be going in Feb, but Lucinda and I are going to Melbourne next week

We're staying from the 11th to the 17th, and we're at a place in Travancore(?), between the Zoo and Flemington which looks real nice and is way cheap

• Options
    That's more notice than I usually give the Melbournians, they ought to have time to organise a gala for you.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    So this is a good article about a bad IT system

• Options
    edited January 2017
    Centrelink is such a shithouse organization I'd say this was more of a feature than a bug.

edit: I remember my friends on student benefits who were also working hospitality having similar issues back in the 90s, if they had a particularly large pay packet in one fortnight.

tynic on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I very much doubt that there wasn't some IT guy going "Are you sure this is what you want?" before the policy makers bent down and quietly whispered "Do it.".

Assuming the IT guys aren't all contractors of course. Those guys will give you precisely what you ask for.

discrider on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Centrelink is such a shithouse organization I'd say this was more of a feature than a bug.

edit: I remember my friends on student benefits who were also working hospitality having similar issues back in the 90s, if they had a particularly large pay packet in one fortnight.

Centrelink has been targeted for budget cuts pretty much every years since its inception. There's only so much even the most dedicated public servant can do when they are juggling the work of three people with no resources.

• Options
    discrider wrote: »
    I very much doubt that there wasn't some IT guy going "Are you sure this is what you want?" before the policy makers bent down and quietly whispered "Do it.".

Assuming the IT guys aren't all contractors of course. Those guys will give you precisely what you ask for.

Having been involved in some government stuff, the internal IT guys would have specified what they need, the project management team would have interpreted it badly, which would then have gone to tender out to the lowest bidder, who would have misinterpreted the tender, delivered something that just held together to do what they think they might have wanted after every possible corner was cut to meet the letter of the tender if not its intent, and then would have turned it over to the internal IT staff with little to no training and then gone to the pub.

• Options

Centrelink has been targeted for budget cuts pretty much every years since its inception. There's only so much even the most dedicated public servant can do when they are juggling the work of three people with no resources.

Oh I don't blame the individual workers. But it's been an obstructionist system (what do they call it in the Brit thread? Antagonistic welfare?) as long as I can remember. If this wasn't by design, I still doubt anyone at a policy level was too displeased by the results.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    As the IT guy doing basically the same thing across the Tasman, sometimes I look across the ditch at Centerlink and think 'yeah, I can see how that happened' but often I look over and think 'What the fuck were you thinking?'.

Professional courtesy prevents me from saying which this is, but I could make a few guesses and end up at both.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    So, it's at a bit short notice because I thought we were going to be going in Feb, but Lucinda and I are going to Melbourne next week

We're staying from the 11th to the 17th, and we're at a place in Travancore(?), between the Zoo and Flemington which looks real nice and is way cheap

Woo! You'll be a couple of kms from us! What nights do you have free?

• Options
    Cyvros wrote: »

Woo! You'll be a couple of kms from us! What nights do you have free?

So far we've got no actual concrete plans, and we're still making lists of things we want to do

This discussion has been closed.