As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 3rd 2017

• Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    so what was the difference between snap/switch

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    By the time I finally pick up a Switch, it'll have Mario, Zelda (still undecided on Switch or WiiU...) and holyshitfuckyes Fire Emblem Warriors! That's super exciting!

That ProJared video with Reggie was pretty good, seemed like they were having fun.

The whole 'say it to my face' thing was great. Reggie handled it pretty well. Though the guy couldn't actually look Reggie in the eye as he threw not one but two games under the bus.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I like ProJared and the interview was really fun to watch.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    I dunno if I'll ever be in a position to act on this (it would probably be best served by No More Heroes 3, in fact), but here's a silly game mechanic that popped into my head on consideration of the Joy-Con's capabilities.

You know that one anime trope (I'm sure it has a name, but I'm not going to go looking for it) where some dude with a katana goes ham on a bunch of bad guys, but none of the swings seem to count until he snaps his sword back into its sheath? You could pull something like that off with the Joy-Con controller. Use the motion control for sword swings per usual, but to make the damage you've accrued actually apply only when you turn the Joy-Con on its side and slap it into your other palm, using the distance sensor to detect when the blade is sheathed.

And then offer buttons for the major gestures, just to mollify the stick-in-the-muds. :P

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »
    I dunno if I'll ever be in a position to act on this (it would probably be best served by No More Heroes 3, in fact), but here's a silly game mechanic that popped into my head on consideration of the Joy-Con's capabilities.

You know that one anime trope (I'm sure it has a name, but I'm not going to go looking for it) where some dude with a katana goes ham on a bunch of bad guys, but none of the swings seem to count until he snaps his sword back into its sheath? You could pull something like that off with the Joy-Con controller. Use the motion control for sword swings per usual, but to make the damage you've accrued actually apply only when you turn the Joy-Con on its side and slap it into your other palm, using the distance sensor to detect when the blade is sheathed.

And then offer buttons for the major gestures, just to mollify the stick-in-the-muds. :P

That sounds like it should be an expansion for Superhot!

I don't know if my dream joycon function would work without some way of tracking the controllers in space ala VR, but having played some games on a friend's Vive it really has me wanting that level of interactivity in games like Skyrim or Fallout. So you'd be able to physically reach out and grab that basket in the corner, grab the other end with your other hand to flip it upside down, and place it over the head of the shopkeeper so you can rob them blind. I don't even know if that would work well outside of the context of VR.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    By the time I finally pick up a Switch, it'll have Mario, Zelda (still undecided on Switch or WiiU...) and holyshitfuckyes Fire Emblem Warriors! That's super exciting!

That ProJared video with Reggie was pretty good, seemed like they were having fun.

The whole 'say it to my face' thing was great. Reggie handled it pretty well. Though the guy couldn't actually look Reggie in the eye as he threw not one but two games under the bus.

Well, Phantom Hourglass (also Spirit Tracks!) is pretty bad. Other M aint so great too... I wouldn't look him in the face either, though. He would sense my fear and crush me with those ginormous hands! Jared redeemed himself in Reggie's eyes by listing the 40 billion 3DSes he owns.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options

Well, Phantom Hourglass (also Spirit Tracks!) is pretty bad. Other M aint so great too... I wouldn't look him in the face either, though. He would sense my fear and crush me with those ginormous hands! Jared redeemed himself in Reggie's eyes by listing the 40 billion 3DSes he owns.

I might be in the minority of people who genuinely like Reggie despite the fact that he has to always be a positive corporate mouthpiece, and would hate for him to be disappointed in me. I couldn't do it either.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

You know that one anime trope

I read this far and I immediately thought of the girl running with the toast in her mouth and I imagined your idea would be to put the Switch in your mouth for some reason.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Dracil wrote: »
    Hori branded screen protectors are now on Amazon. The only question right now is premium vs regular. Premium seems thicker? And they say it's "scratch-proof" but I dunno if it'll make it harder to use the touchscreen/interfere with docking.

The premium one is probably tempered glass. It won't interfere with touchscreen functionality because the switch screen is capacitive.

It says it's a film, I really hope there's a tempered glass one. I've done films before and never liked what they do to the screen/feel of the screen. I've had tempered glass on my phone for 2 years and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Screen-Protector-Orzly/dp/B01N9RG3XS

I might be in the minority of people who genuinely like Reggie despite the fact that he has to always be a positive corporate mouthpiece, and would hate for him to be disappointed in me. I couldn't do it either.

I like Reggie but I also fully understand that "Reggie" is not a person but is a character and a literal nintendo mouthpiece who has no free will of his own.

• Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

I read this far and I immediately thought of the girl running with the toast in her mouth and I imagined your idea would be to put the Switch in your mouth for some reason.

If mouth JoyCons become a thing I want to have three at once and a One Piece Roronoa Zoro game. That's one I'd love to play on an airplane too.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    I'm kinda worried about what the screen of the switch is actually made of. At a 300 price point I don't know if it's realistic to expect gorilla glass or something comparable.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    I'm kinda worried about what the screen of the switch is actually made of. At a 300 price point I don't know if it's realistic to expect gorilla glass or something comparable.

It better be or it's going to be one of the least child friendly Nintendo system ever

No I don't.
  • Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Stardew Valley will not be a launch title on Nintendo Switch, but I am still planning on bringing it to the platform later this year.

https://t.co/NI0maaHQxR

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular

Well... "I will eat the delicious video-game sandwich" and all.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options

It better be or it's going to be one of the least child friendly Nintendo system ever

If they're cutting corners in visible places like memory, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them cut corners in much less visible places.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

If they're cutting corners in visible places like memory, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them cut corners in much less visible places.

But that's the most visible area...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    yeah people are going to notice if there are fucking scratches on their screen

• Options
    MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if Nintendo is officially considering this a successor to the 3DS and DS, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is the Switch reverse compatible with DS and 3DS games?

Sofar, my opinion of Cautiously optimistic, I can see alot of potential in this thing.

• Options
    Matthew wrote: »
    I'm not sure if Nintendo is officially considering this a successor to the 3DS and DS, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is the Switch reverse compatible with DS and 3DS games?

Sofar, my opinion of Cautiously optimistic, I can see alot of potential in this thing.

It is not backwards compatible with them. The Switch presumably uses a different type of cartridge slot, has a different internal architecture, has a capacitive touch screen instead of resistive which could pose some challenges to being able to play past games, and does not have dual screens, though of course they could arrange two simulated screens to make them fit.

It may at some point in the future have DS virtual console, but there are a number of barriers to that happening.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Catching up again - re: screen protectors. The 3DS and New 3DS (3 versions) were the only systems I've ever had scratches on the screen because of that godamn clamshell design. If the screens were the same size it wouldn't have been an issue but every hardware iteration I had the same issue (likely because it was in my pocket ALL the time). I really like the feel of a screen without a protector unless the tempered glass ones won't interfere with anything.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    tempered glass screen protectors usually feel like the real screen. They're good. It is not at all like the plastic ones that would feel terrible.

I started putting them on my phones a couple years ago and I'd never go back.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure Nintendo's online service will be the first one I don't actually subscribe to

Between them offloading social functionality to my fucking phone, and them cycling out "free" games, there is zero value added to their service beyond "Play games online"

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm wait and see, but since I don't pay for XBL or PS+, I seriously doubt I'll pay for Nintendo's service either.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Splatoon 2 will justify my paying for it. If a choice of paying or not playing, I'll choose to pay. Hopefully they add more value though with the backlash.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I used to subscribe to XBL during the OBox and 360 days, mostly to play Splinter Cell, Street Fighter 4, and Call of Duty. That petered out though when the games became repetitive and online multiplayer got boring. Never subscribed to PS+, although I didn't get a PS3 until several years after launch, and even then it was a gift. Free games came later, but by then nothing was going to change my mind.

Nintendo has a shot at my money but I doubt they'll get it. Shit will have to be really interesting for me to pony up, and I have little confidence anything they do will be worth it for me. If I do bite, it certainly won't be at full price since I never paid the $50/$60 Microsoft asked for their service. Amazon discounts and 3rd party selling always found a great deal (30-60% off MSRP).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular

If Nintendo was going to cut corners they would have just put 64 or 128gb of memory on it and dumped the microSD slot. That slot and support for it probably cost more than several memory upgrades.

sig.gif
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Splatoon 2 will justify my paying for it. If a choice of paying or not playing, I'll choose to pay. Hopefully they add more value though with the backlash.

The backlash means fewer people playing in lobbies come Fall 2017.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    I'm quite burned out on Warriors anything. Post Devil May Cry and Brutal Legend, I no longer play games where you press one button repeatedly and everything around you dies.

That does not sound like you actually played any of those games at all.

Brutal Legend is a real time strategy rhythm game, for crying out loud.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    My only opinion on the online service is "Maybe make the 'playing games' part always free". Other than that it's something I'm willing to put up with. I just need more details first.

edzepp on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I'm quite burned out on Warriors anything. Post Devil May Cry and Brutal Legend, I no longer play games where you press one button repeatedly and everything around you dies.

I read that as "after playing these games, which are nothing like warriors games where you press one button and everything dies, I cannot return to playing warriors games"

But that may be me.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    I loved that ProJared interview. I love that he pinged Monster Hunter as the 3rd party game to put on the Switch.

• Options
    He's all about Monster Hunter, so no surprise.

• Options
    KriegaffeKriegaffe Registered User regular
    edzepp wrote: »
    He's all about Monster Hunter, so no surprise.

I just felt that for a moment I psychically reached out, took control of this Jared person, and told Reggie what needed to happen. That was satisfying for me.

• Options
    Maybe, heh. But based on his videos, Jared has always been really into Monster Hunter.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Dracil wrote: »
    Hori branded screen protectors are now on Amazon. The only question right now is premium vs regular. Premium seems thicker? And they say it's "scratch-proof" but I dunno if it'll make it harder to use the touchscreen/interfere with docking.

The premium one is probably tempered glass. It won't interfere with touchscreen functionality because the switch screen is capacitive.

It says it's a film, I really hope there's a tempered glass one. I've done films before and never liked what they do to the screen/feel of the screen. I've had tempered glass on my phone for 2 years and love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Screen-Protector-Orzly/dp/B01N9RG3XS

I like Reggie but I also fully understand that "Reggie" is not a person but is a character and a literal nintendo mouthpiece who has no free will of his own.

Hmm, this is some random brand that has like no reviews on any of their products. I feel like this is something I'd wait on reviews before purchasing.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I like ProJared and the interview was really fun to watch.

ProJared is the only reason I figured out Monster Hunter.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »

I read that as "after playing these games, which are nothing like warriors games where you press one button and everything dies, I cannot return to playing warriors games"

But that may be me.

Oh...I guess that's possible. Being 'burned out' sounds like they've played a bunch of it and were listing examples.

Still, that description is not even true for Warriors games.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    But yeah, there are an awful lot of musou games on the first year of the switch: DQ heroes, this FE one, the vanilla over that was only announced for Japan, and I think there's another one I'm forgetting

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    But yeah, there are an awful lot of musou games on the first year of the switch: DQ heroes, this FE one, the vanilla over that was only announced for Japan, and I think there's another one I'm forgetting

Then Dynasty Warriors 9, whenever it comes out, will probably be on it too.

Hopefully 9 does something half as cool as 8 did with the 'what-if' alternate histories where if you save your generals that are fated to die in battles you get to play though alternate fantastical timelines of what could have been.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Spoit wrote: »

How Musou are DQ Heroes? I don't know anything about them. I know that in their initial reveal they were compared strongly to Warriors games, but I didn't think they were made by Koei Tecmo? In the past SE have made games that ape other franchises, like Final Fantasy Explorers vs. Monster Hunter, but then I hear later that it's not quite a Monster Hunter clone and has a number of significant differences (in this case I hear it's like Crystal Chronicles).

UncleSporky on
This discussion has been closed.