Options

[The Trump Administration] The Last 100 Days

AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whateverRegistered User regular
edited January 2017 in Debate and/or Discourse
636210358837471694-1toon.jpg

We knew it would be bad. We knew it would be worse than we could imagine. But could anyone envision it would be as bad as it actually is?

"I met a traveler from an broken land,
Who said—“Two small and sizeless hands of sausage
Stand in the swamp. . . . Near them, on the ground,
Half sunk a shattered nation lies, whose frown,
And joyous people devoid of understanding,
Tell that its founders well those passions read
Which now perverted, stamped on these lifeless things,
The tiny hands that mocked them, and a heartless soul that fed endlessly;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Trump, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, They are the best works,
Nothing beats my works, ask anyone.
Round the decay of that colossal Wreck, golden and crass
The lone and level marshes stretch far away.”

The Rundown:

- We currently do not have a state department. The cabinet members say they quit. Trump says they were fired. Trump says many things.
- In response to the Executive Order on the the Border Wall, the Head of the Border Control has resigned. Or has been fired. Again, Trump says many things.
- Former Mexican President Vicente Fox tells trump, "We're not paying for the fucking wall!" Trump says, "Yes, you are!" Current President Pineto says, "Fuck this, I'm out," and cancels meeting with Trump. Trump says the cancellation was a mutual decision. Trump says many things.
- Spokesman Sean Spicer announced the wall would be paid for with a 20% tariff on Mexican imports. Perhaps due to realizing that tariffs are imposed on buyers of goods (i.e., Americans in this case), Spicer hours later said that the previous announcement was "just some ideas, nothing official."
- Sean Spicer has inadvertently tweeted his passwords to the public. Twice.
- Everyone on Team Trump is using private, unsecured email servers.
- Elizabeth Warren, bless her heart, still believes in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.
- The country is falling apart faster than we can report on it.
- Congressional GOP members are saying they've been shut out of the Executive Order process and have no idea if any of them are tenable, viable, or even legal.
- Everyone in Washington with an anonymous Twitter account is reporting frantically about the ever-growing trash fire that started in the West Wing this week.
- Trump continues to insist 3 million people illegally voted for Clinton. Trump says many things.
- Trump asserted golfer Bernhard Langer was kept from voting while the brown person next to them got to vote. Bernhard Langer says, "Woah, dude, no, what? No. I can't vote, I'm not even American. Leave me out of this."
- Mike Pence probably is putting together a solemn-but-reassuring memorandum on his acceptance of the presidency. You know, just in case.

Oh, and explicitly due to Trump's first week in office, the countdown clock on Nuclear Holocaust has moved up 30 seconds. We are now two minutes, thirty seconds, to midnight.

Follow all the myriad intersections of rolling dumpster fires, tire fires, and garbage explosions right here at https://presterity.org/ (thanks @Handgimp !)

#MAGA
#MAGZ

Atomika on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    the rundown's accuracy is frightening.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    I haven't done a deep dive yet, but https://presterity.org/ seems to be doing a good job of aggregating the Trump Atrocities.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2017/01/26/it-turns-out-trump-son-in-law-jared-kushner-is-also-registered-to-vote-in-two-states/
    Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and one of his closest White House advisers, is registered to vote in both New Jersey and New York, while White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer is on the rolls both in Virginia and his home state of Rhode Island, according to elections officials and voting registration records.
    Along with Kushner and Spicer, The Washington Post has now identified five Trump family members or top administration appointees who were registered in two states during the fall election. The others are chief White House strategist Stephen K. Bannon; Tiffany Trump, the president's youngest daughter; and Treasury Secretary nominee Steven Mnuchin, as first reported by CNN.
    It is almost like being registered to vote in two places is meaningless, not an indication of fraud, and not even illegal.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    From now until the day we seal the deal, I'm gonna be anticipating the news that it's no longer possible for me to emigrate over there. I feel sick all the time. ::tell_me_more:

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    WhiteCrow wrote: »
    Can these threads start having some positive life affirming titles for a change? This doom and gloom shit is getting old.

Or hell, just something plain and neutral like [The Trump Administration] would be nice.

How about [Trump] 2.5 Minutes is plenty of time?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Gah! The last thread got locked as I was posting this

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Arby's.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    the rundown's accuracy is frightening.

The frightening part is that's just what happened today.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    BTW, AP has some perspecting about the State Dept.:

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    Can these threads start having some positive life affirming titles for a change? This doom and gloom shit is getting old.

Or hell, just something plain and neutral like [The Trump Administration] would be nice.

How about [Trump] 2.5 Minutes is plenty of time?

Or how about

[The Trump Administration] At least he doesn't have a private email server...

Every time I read/type/think/say this it makes me want to violently throw up in anger.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Yeah, that's not sending the message the author thinks (it was quite clear that W wanted to take a very different diplomatic tack from Clinton.)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

How long did this transition take?

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    When you try to be reassuring and don't quite succeed

• Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    Hypothetically, if Mike Pence were to invoke Section 4 of the 25th Amendment today, not even a week into the presidency, I wonder what percentage of the cabinet would back him up and affirm that the Trump is unfit for the office.

I'm almost positive he thinks about that on the regular. "Just how much public backlash against Trump do I need before I can take office?"

• Options
    edited January 2017
    From the end of last thread:

42% of Trump voters think he should be allowed to have a private email server to just 39% who think he shouldn't be allowed to. Maybe cybersecurity wasn't such a big issue in last year's election after all.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    On more people looking the "positive" side, here's Trudeau:
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is strongly in favour of Donald Trump's decision to green-light the Keystone XL pipeline project, a move he says will be a boon for Canadian jobs and government coffers, and help a hobbled Alberta recover from the steep decline in oil prices.

Trudeau said he has spoken to the new U.S. president twice, and on both occasions he pressed upon him Canada's steadfast support for the $8-billion project, which could carry more than 800,000 barrels of Alberta oil a day to refineries in Texas.

"I reiterated my support for the project. I've been on the record for many years supporting [Keystone XL] because it leads to economic growth and good jobs for Albertans," he told reporters assembled in Calgary for the federal cabinet retreat.

"We know we can get our resources to market more safely and responsibly while meeting our climate change goals," he said, adding Premier Rachel Notley's hard cap on oilsands emissions will ensure Canada meets its reduction targets.
    It keeps going:
    Trudeau also sought to clarify remarks he made at town hall in Peterborough, Ont., last week when he suggested the oilsands will be phased out, much to the chagrin of people who depend on the industry for their livelihood.

"I misspoke. I said something the way I shouldn't have said it," Trudeau said, when pressed by a local Calgary reporter.

"We know our transition off of fossil fuels is going to take a long time. My responsibility now ... is making sure Canadians have good jobs, making sure communities are prospering ... and doing it in a way that understands our responsibility to the environment and future generations."
    Enviromentalism is well and nice, but nobody is going to have their job on the chopping block if they can fight for it. Sending people to the Soylent Green factory "For the Greater Good" suddenly loses appeal when is your name on the list.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Matt Lee is the main writer I follow for diplomatic protocol commentary, so that's good.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    The Rundown:

- We currently do not have a state department. The cabinet members say they quit. Trump says they were fired. Trump says many things.
    - In response to the Executive Order on the the Border Wall, the Head of the Border Control has resigned. Or has been fired. Again, Trump says many things.
    - Former Mexican President Vicente Fox tells trump, "We're not paying for the fucking wall!" Trump says, "Yes, you are!" Current President Pineto says, "Fuck this, I'm out," and cancels meeting with Trump. Trump says the cancellation was a mutual decision. Trump says many things.
    - Spokesman Sean Spicer announced the wall would be paid for with a 20% tariff on Mexican imports. Perhaps due to realizing that tariffs are imposed on buyers of goods (i.e., Americans in this case), Spicer hours later said that the previous announcement was "just some ideas, nothing official."
    - Sean Spicer has inadvertently tweeted his passwords to the public. Twice.
    - Everyone on Team Trump is using private, unsecured email servers.
    - Elizabeth Warren, bless her heart, still believes in Father Christmas and the Tooth Fairy.
    - The country is falling apart faster than we can report on it.
    - Congressional GOP members are saying they've been shut out of the Executive Order process and have no idea if any of them are tenable, viable, or even legal.
    - Everyone in Washington with an anonymous Twitter account is reporting frantically about the ever-growing trash fire that started in the West Wing this week.
    - Trump continues to insist 3 million people illegally voted for Clinton. Trump says many things.
    - Trump asserted golfer Bernhard Langer was kept from voting while the brown person next to them got to vote. Bernhard Langer says, "Woah, dude, no, what? No. I can't vote, I'm not even American. Leave me out of this."
    - Mike Pence probably is putting together a solemn-but-reassuring memorandum on his acceptance of the presidency. You know, just in case.

I must've missed that.
    I suppose it's too much to hope they'll do the right thing and impeach.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Spaten OptimatorSpaten Optimator Smooth Operator Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Every time I read/type/think/say this it makes me want to violently throw up in anger.

Also:

"Both sides are exactly the same"

getcha barf bags ready

Why ‘false equivalence’ usually isn’t — and elections make us dumber

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

42% of Trump voters think he should be allowed to have a private email server to just 39% who think he shouldn't be allowed to. Maybe cybersecurity wasn't such a big issue in last year's election after all.

Or maybe it's only bad if Clinton does it.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    First Warren and now Trudeau

Fantastic.

Trudeau has always been in favor of keystone XL

Pipeline politics are different in Canada, and are very regional.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    Twenty SidedTwenty Sided Registered User regular

The Moral Majority folks.

• Options
    Guys, guys! Voter fraud has been settled!
    Sean Spicer makes it official: No voter fraud in Philadelphia, Milwaukee or Detroit

For as long as Democrats were winning the Rust Belt in presidential elections, Republicans have been on the hunt for voter fraud in big cities. In 2012, when Pennsylvania Republicans passed a voter ID law, they explicitly said it would allow Mitt Romney to win the state by ending fraud in Philadelphia. When Wisconsin Republicans worried that they might lose a close Supreme Court race, they discussed “messaging 'widespread reports of election fraud' so we are positively set up for the recount.” When commentators defended President Trump's pre-election fear of fraud, the biggest Rust Belt cities made easy targets.

In 2012, there were "59 separate precincts in inner-city Philadelphia that Mitt Romney did not get a single vote, not one,” Sean Hannity said last August. “And according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, there were nine precincts in Cleveland alone, again, not a single Romney vote — not one. Now, maybe I'm conspiratorial. Maybe this is a stretch. But 70 districts in two cities?”

Good news, Midwest: According to the White House, there actually is no voter fraud in the Midwest — or at least, not a significant amount — specifically in the states where Trump competed and won. White House press secretary Sean Spicer said so during an exchange with Fox News reporter John Roberts, who brought up the fact that Trump's legal team had beaten back recount lawsuits in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by saying there had been no fraud.

Period!

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wasn't the Clinton to Bush transition not done completely incompetently and half prepared?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Also:

getcha barf bags ready

During the 2016 presidential election, the New York Times was so frequently criticized for engaging in false equivalence — “false balance,” as it’s often called in journalistic contexts — that the paper’s public editor, Liz Spayd, wrote a lengthy column defending its coverage of both candidates. The criticism was that, simply by covering the investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server and accusations that she had used her State Department office to direct funds to her foundation, the Times “equated” her failings and misdeeds with those of Trump. (Were her failings less serious than Trump’s? A lot of people didn’t think so — note the election results — but evidently most of the Times’s readers did.)

People only thought they were equal because you kept making it fucking front-page news.

• Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular

Are you asking for an alternative title?

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Also:

getcha barf bags ready

During the 2016 presidential election, the New York Times was so frequently criticized for engaging in false equivalence — “false balance,” as it’s often called in journalistic contexts — that the paper’s public editor, Liz Spayd, wrote a lengthy column defending its coverage of both candidates. The criticism was that, simply by covering the investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server and accusations that she had used her State Department office to direct funds to her foundation, the Times “equated” her failings and misdeeds with those of Trump. (Were her failings less serious than Trump’s? A lot of people didn’t think so — note the election results — but evidently most of the Times’s readers did.)

People only thought they were equal because you kept making it fucking front-page news.

Which gets to the heart of why these get tarred with the "false equivalence" brush. When you constantly treat two wildly dissimilar things as equal, people will point out that. This isn't people being "dumber", this is people calling out the argument as flawed.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The mayor of Miami signed the EO declassifying the city as a sanctuary city

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

I guess he doesn't want his job anymore.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Or maybe it's only bad if Clinton does it.

More likely, much with basically everything else: It's OK If You're A Republican™

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017

i tried calling Feinstein's office in SF, and got a "full voicemail box" message. ended up calling her LA office and having to leave a voicemail there. no one would even pick up the phone.

our Democracy fucking sucks at this.

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    Vanguard wrote: »

So they're going to deport all the Cubans, right?

(because it might need to be said: not serious)

• Options

i tried calling Feinstein's office in SF, and got a "full voicemail box" message. ended up calling her LA office.

our Democracy fucking sucks at this.

so, "before we stopped picking up the phone", then.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So the newly proposed border rules will effect those coming into the US for work from New Zealand. Instead of eing able to get a visa waiver, a kiwi will likely now need to sit through an in person interview. Likely at the consulate general in Auckland.

It was originally reported that this would be effecting all visas, including visitor visas, but that was later updated to be for work/study visas.

Kiwis looking for explanations of what this means, especially those who are in the process of trying to emigrate to the US for work/study have no current recourse or answers available to them.

Why not?

because there is no Ambassador, and as such, no legal advice available to those here who are hoping for answers. Because there is no official representative body from the current administration.

in case anybody was wondering why firing all the ambassadors on Jan 20th was a big deal.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    All is forgiven in my eyes now that the mass media has grown some teeth. The front page of every news site has been something crazy Trump has said or lied about. I just hope they can keep it up. I just keep getting this feeling that it's going to end badly.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So the newly proposed border rules will effect those coming into the US for work from New Zealand. Instead of eing able to get a visa waiver, a kiwi will likely now need to sit through an in person interview. Likely at the consulate general in Auckland.

It was originally reported that this would be effecting all visas, including visitor visas, but that was later updated to be for work/study visas.

Kiwis looking for explanations of what this means, especially those who are in the process of trying to emigrate to the US for work/study have no current recourse or answers available to them.

Why not?

because there is no Ambassador, and as such, no legal advice available to those here who are hoping for answers. Because there is no official representative body from the current administration.

in case anybody was wondering why firing all the ambassadors on Jan 20th was a big deal.

might be better to just stay in NZ for the next 8 years

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    And hope that the US doesn't descend into a fascist dictatorship.

This discussion has been closed.