As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Trump Administration] The Last 100 Days

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    So the newly proposed border rules will effect those coming into the US for work from New Zealand. Instead of eing able to get a visa waiver, a kiwi will likely now need to sit through an in person interview. Likely at the consulate general in Auckland.

It was originally reported that this would be effecting all visas, including visitor visas, but that was later updated to be for work/study visas.

Kiwis looking for explanations of what this means, especially those who are in the process of trying to emigrate to the US for work/study have no current recourse or answers available to them.

Why not?

because there is no Ambassador, and as such, no legal advice available to those here who are hoping for answers. Because there is no official representative body from the current administration.

in case anybody was wondering why firing all the ambassadors on Jan 20th was a big deal.

My wife's still trying to make our next overseas holiday a US trip, but I'm just feeling it anymore.

If they screw up the visa thing, that'll give me an easy out at least.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

Maybe if her fucking phone worked.

The DC phones were down last time I tried.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    The mayor of Miami signed the EO declassifying the city as a sanctuary city

Does the classification actaully mean anything literally? Like is it tied to funding?

Besides that new report the fbi is going to do about crimes. Like, is this just equivilent to continuing on and just not having a report be given that was described?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    WhiteCrow wrote: »
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Every time I read/type/think/say this it makes me want to violently throw up in anger.

Also:

"Both sides are exactly the same"

getcha barf bags ready

Why ‘false equivalence’ usually isn’t — and elections make us dumber
    During the 2016 presidential election, the New York Times was so frequently criticized for engaging in false equivalence — “false balance,” as it’s often called in journalistic contexts — that the paper’s public editor, Liz Spayd, wrote a lengthy column defending its coverage of both candidates. The criticism was that, simply by covering the investigation into Clinton’s use of a private email server and accusations that she had used her State Department office to direct funds to her foundation, the Times “equated” her failings and misdeeds with those of Trump. (Were her failings less serious than Trump’s? A lot of people didn’t think so — note the election results — but evidently most of the Times’s readers did.)

People only thought they were equal because you kept making it fucking front-page news.

Which gets to the heart of why these get tarred with the "false equivalence" brush. When you constantly treat two wildly dissimilar things as equal, people will point out that. This isn't people being "dumber", this is people calling out the argument as flawed.

And it's the media refusing to admit they're part of the problem.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Does the classification actaully mean anything literally? Like is it tied to funding?
    Besides that new report the fbi is going to do about crimes. Like, is this just equivilent to continuing on and just not having a report be given that was described?
    Yes, it is tied to funding. On average, cities get about 10% of their funding from the federal government, and the Trump's executive memorandum removes funding for everything except the police department in a sanctuary city. For a city like Miami, loss of federal funds is probably about a billion dollars a year.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    All is forgiven in my eyes now that the mass media has grown some teeth. The front page of every news site has been something crazy Trump has said or lied about. I just hope they can keep it up. I just keep getting this feeling that it's going to end badly.

Only forgive them if they carry it to election night 2020, and not a second before.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular

That...that's not how 'sanctuary city' works.

Wait, there's no way Trump understands what it actually means either. Maybe all we need to get around this is letterhead.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It appears so, specifically orders jails to comply with the wishes of ICE.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/article128984759.html

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2017

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited January 2017

Vanguard on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The rare quintuple, impressive

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER.

... but yeah that's not exactly heartening...

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Since Obama ended Wet Foot / Dry Foot I wonder how Little Havana will react.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Maybe if her fucking phone worked.

The DC phones were down last time I tried.

You just have to listen to the message telling you that the phones aren't working

listen real close

because right between the repeats you can hear the real message

"hail hydra"

• Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    All is forgiven in my eyes now that the mass media has grown some teeth. The front page of every news site has been something crazy Trump has said or lied about. I just hope they can keep it up. I just keep getting this feeling that it's going to end badly.

I'm loving the public flogging of Trump as much as the next guy, but I'm not givingn the media any credit for growing some teeth. Has there been much reporting about the huge development in the Russian hacking story? If not, this is just same old same old. The media still covers all of Trumps outrageous bullshit for ratings while not giving other important stories near enough time.

When I no longer need to go to a gamer-nerd webcomic's forum for news, then I will praise the media.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

Oh fuck no. I've been meaning to call her about her stupid Pompeo vote, but a vote for Sessions is way beyond the pale.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Unless she is coyly trying to tell more people to call...

How is she so bad at this? That's basically taunting your base. How could she think California democrats do not want her to vote no?

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »

Oh fuck no. I've been meaning to call her about her stupid Pompeo vote, but a vote for Sessions is way beyond the pale.

Just tried again. DC line is just disconnected line noise.

Try her CA offices.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

I'm loving the public flogging of Trump as much as the next guy, but I'm not givingn the media any credit for growing some teeth. Has there been much reporting about the huge development in the Russian hacking story? If not, this is just same old same old. The media still covers all of Trumps outrageous bullshit for ratings while not giving other important stories near enough time.

When I no longer need to go to a gamer-nerd webcomic's forum for news, then I will praise the media.

You make a really good point. It's still refreshing to wake up every morning to NPR lambasting something trump did, checking my google feed and seeing all the crazy shit that went on overnight, etc. Still, though, I'm more and more worried that people are just going to accept this as the new norm and let it happen.

• Options
    KPCKPC Registered User regular

Just tried again. DC line is just disconnected line noise.

Try her CA offices.

She's been replaced by a Cylon.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    We joke about this "Hail Hydra" stuff, but I don't really see it. I mean, sure, heads are being cut off, but where are the two new ones?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    I can't keep up! State Department! State Department? Uh, but and tariffs??

• Options

Aaaand SF and San Diego mailboxes are full, recording for the Los Angeles office tells me they're experiencing high call volumes, and the Fresno office has a busy signal.

Kinda hard for people to tell you how fucking stupid you are if they can't actually reach you Dianne.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    if you live in CA and can't get through to Feinstein's office, try calling Kamala Harris instead: https://www.harris.senate.gov/content/contact-senator

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    ShivahnShivahn Unaware of her barrel shifter privilege Western coastal temptressRegistered User, Moderator mod
    if you live in CA and can't get through to Feinstein's office, try calling Kamala Harris instead: https://www.harris.senate.gov/content/contact-senator

KAMELA

TELL DIANE TO PICK UP THE PHONE SO I CAN TELL HER I HATE WHAT SHE'S DOING

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    a
    We joke about this "Hail Hydra" stuff, but I don't really see it. I mean, sure, heads are being cut off, but where are the two new ones?

Think of it more like each gaffe by trump is a head, it gets reported on, but before you can read it 2 more happen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

That is a good idea.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So why have Tesla shares surged since Mr. Trump’s election, closing this week within striking distance of a record high?

Adam Jonas, a prominent automotive analyst at Morgan Stanley, upgraded Tesla stock to overweight last week, with a target price of $305 a share. (It was trading this week at about $255.)

“When you look at the businesses Tesla is in, you see many areas of overlapping interest” with the Trump administration, Mr. Jonas told me. “To the extent the new administration prioritizes the creation of valuable, innovative high tech and manufacturing jobs, Tesla stands at the epicenter of that.”

Shares in pure solar energy companies haven’t fared as well, but even they have now regained nearly all the ground they lost immediately after Mr. Trump’s victory. Solar investors “aren’t nearly as negative as they were the day after the election,” said Andrew Hughes, an alternative energy analyst for Credit Suisse.

One reason for that shift seems to be a budding bromance between Mr. Trump and Mr. Musk. The president-elect invited Mr. Musk to Trump Tower in December as part of a group of technology executives and named him to his strategic and policy forum of business leaders.

There it is. Access, leads to more wealth, power, access, more wealth. A nice little story of how friends help friends. It's almost beautiful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/elon-musk-donald-trump-wall-street.amp.html

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Holy shit, the timing of that. Well, if someone in the admin is burning highly placed cia agents in Russia and getting them arrested/killed, I can't imagine that not drawing retaliation, the CIA takes that seriously. Like "prominent administration advisor has public mental breakdown totally unrelated to the BZ someone slipped in his coffee" seriously.

Edit: I guess I could see this backfiring though
    "Sir, we found a highly placed administration official was a spy for the Russians so in order to discredit them before a public address we dosed them with a hallucinagen that increases aggression and causes extreme delusions and paranoia. Unfortunately, no one could really tell any difference from normal."

Jealous Deva on
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    Shivahn wrote: »

KAMELA

TELL DIANE TO PICK UP THE PHONE SO I CAN TELL HER I HATE WHAT SHE'S DOING

that's

essentially what i did.

(for real though, the idea is to get both of them to realize they're losing support over this. if Harris feels she's losing voters because of what Feinstein is or isn't doing, you better damn well believe she'll want to chat with her colleague)

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    If you thought Trump was so petty he would be pissed off by the retweet from the national park that showed a side by side comparison of one of Obama's inaugurations and Trump's inauguration, you were thinking the obvious and were right.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-pressured-park-service-to-back-up-his-claims-about-inauguration-crowd/2017/01/26/12a38cb8-e3fc-11e6-ba11-63c4b4fb5a63_story.html
    On the morning after Donald Trump’s inauguration, acting National Park Service director Michael T. Reynolds received an extraordinary summons: The new president wanted to talk to him.

In a Saturday phone call, Trump personally ordered Reynolds to produce additional photographs of the previous day’s crowds on the National Mall, according to three individuals who have knowledge of the conversation. The president believed that they might prove that the media had lied in reporting that attendance had been no better than average.

Trump also expressed anger over a retweet sent from the agency’s account, in which side-by-side photographs showed far fewer people at his swearing-in than had shown up to see Barack Obama’s inaugural in 2009.

According to one account, Reynolds had been contacted by the White House and given a phone number to call. When he dialed it, he was told to hold for the president.
    Reynolds was taken aback by Trump’s request, but did secure some additional aerial photographs and forwarded them to the White House through normal channels in the Interior Department, the sources said. The photos, however, did not prove Trump’s contention that the crowd size was upwards of 1 million.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote: »
    So why have Tesla shares surged since Mr. Trump’s election, closing this week within striking distance of a record high?

Adam Jonas, a prominent automotive analyst at Morgan Stanley, upgraded Tesla stock to overweight last week, with a target price of $305 a share. (It was trading this week at about $255.)

“When you look at the businesses Tesla is in, you see many areas of overlapping interest” with the Trump administration, Mr. Jonas told me. “To the extent the new administration prioritizes the creation of valuable, innovative high tech and manufacturing jobs, Tesla stands at the epicenter of that.”

Shares in pure solar energy companies haven’t fared as well, but even they have now regained nearly all the ground they lost immediately after Mr. Trump’s victory. Solar investors “aren’t nearly as negative as they were the day after the election,” said Andrew Hughes, an alternative energy analyst for Credit Suisse.

One reason for that shift seems to be a budding bromance between Mr. Trump and Mr. Musk. The president-elect invited Mr. Musk to Trump Tower in December as part of a group of technology executives and named him to his strategic and policy forum of business leaders.

There it is. Access, leads to more wealth, power, access, more wealth. A nice little story of how friends help friends. It's almost beautiful.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/elon-musk-donald-trump-wall-street.amp.html

404 - got a better link?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Aaaand SF and San Diego mailboxes are full, recording for the Los Angeles office tells me they're experiencing high call volumes, and the Fresno office has a busy signal.

Kinda hard for people to tell you how fucking stupid you are if they can't actually reach you Dianne.

As designed.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Kashaar wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

404 - got a better link?

https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/business/elon-musk-donald-trump-wall-street.amp.html

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options

That is a good idea.

Kamala's are working. Left a voice mail at her DC office, debating whether I should leave her messages at her various California offices as well.

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Well, you heard about it from a media source, you linked us to a media source, we only know about it because of the media...

No one's getting the information from word of mouth from person to person. We're still getting it from media.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular

You make a really good point. It's still refreshing to wake up every morning to NPR lambasting something trump did, checking my google feed and seeing all the crazy shit that went on overnight, etc. Still, though, I'm more and more worried that people are just going to accept this as the new norm and let it happen.

Well...That's interesting...

This discussion has been closed.