Options

[Steam]: Where backlog progress and sales collide.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    First reviews of Styx 2 are coming out, this is the first one I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQO-2Nh8Q3k

Overall impressions seem to be that the game basically doubles down on the good points from Styx but doesn't really otherwise take any risks, particularly with regard to the shortcomings of the first one. So essentially great stealth/exploration, sound and level design. Somewhat better AI/controls and way more level variety but questionable voice acting for not-Styx and basically nonexistent combat.

(and yes they also doubled down on the "humans and elves are dicks" aspect of the universe's lore)

Hah, I actually saw this one last night, about an hour after it was put up. Apparently watching a few ACG Walking the Walk videos (check out his Thief (2014) one if you haven't, interesting stuff) lately and looking at Styx trailers got that into my Recommended videos pretty quickly.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Still two days between me and MEA and then one more for Nier Automata.

Thank god Lucha Underground arrives on Netflix tommorow to keep me sane until then.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I'm excited that Pathologic is coming along nicely, but also dismayed, because this will be the 6th or 7th game that I've kickstarted and not yet found time to play.

A wiser person would doubtless draw some sort of lesson from all this.

• Options
    DranythDranyth Surf ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »
    I'm excited that Pathologic is coming along nicely, but also dismayed, because this will be the 6th or 7th game that I've kickstarted and not yet found time to play.

But, this is the Steam thread. No one here would understand.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Dranyth wrote: »

But, this is the Steam thread. No one here would understand.

Just did a tally and of the video games I've backed and received so far over the years. 8 played and 6 still awaiting playtime (not counting Broken Age in either grouping, since I played part 1 but haven't quite gotten to part 2.) So on the one hand, batting over .500 is pretty good by Steam backlog standards. On the other hand, threw down money for six games that I've received but haven't yet played.
    And I'm dozen hours into another Borderlands 2 playthrough based inspired by some post BL3 tech demo chatter in the BL thread...

Not quite sure how to feel about all that.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Of the 12 games I've backed on Kickstarter, 8 have been officially released, 3 are overdue, and one is technically due this month but I know for a fact will be overdue by at least a year because they've been keeping us updated pretty well on that front. I'm expecting nothing to come of two of the games that haven't been released at this point. Especially the one due in September 2012.

Of the 8 that have been officially released, I've played halfway through one of them (Double Fine's Broken Age). I've also played a bit through Defense Grid 2, but I stopped because my PC at the time didn't run it as well as I'd like. That leaves the following games that I own from Kickstarter which remain unplayed:

Wasteland 2
    Shadowrun Returns (and Dragonfall)
    Republique
    Boot Hill Heroes
    Pillars of Eternity
    MASSIVE CHALICE

Boot Hill Heroes would probably be the easiest to "complete" since according to some reviews, it ends almost as soon as you get your entire party with a "to be continued." Sounds like he's still working on part 2 as of last year. We'll see, I guess. That's the risk of Kickstarters.

The other games all seem really cool, and probably would take quite a bit of time, which is why I haven't jumped into them just yet.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I hear MASSIVE CHALICE is kind of big.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I hear MASSIVE CHALICE is kind of big.

I have been summoned.

We have a thread for Massive Chalice.
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/198581/massive-chalice-double-fine-productions-version-of-fantasy-xcom/p1

I have a post with tips and such in it.
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/32670914/#Comment_32670914

Short version, it's a REALLY solid little strategy game that I find myself replaying far more often than stuff like X-Com, etc...
    Plus it has good writing and a fun art style, and a wisecracking chalice.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay. I beat Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Henceforth GRWL). This game is AMAZING Fun. It is ABSOLUTELY not a perfect game, there are a lot of bugs and problems with it, but I put a trillion hours into it, and had a blast playing it in coop and single player. I'm going to write up a quick little review about it and explain why I had so much fun.

Few quick facts about it.

It is a shooter, but not cover based. There is some cover, and you can somewhat post up on it to take cover, but there isnt a take cover button, and you can't run from one cover to another while crouched, etc.
    It is not bullet spongy at all. If you're in the "not detected" phase you can kill anyone with 1 shot. You die super quickly too. It helps to stealth kill, but its not required. You can 'go loud' on most missions and complete it just fine.
    The boss encounters are more of firefights, while the bosses themselves die just as quick as other mooks.
    The entire world is HUGE and full of activities. Every zone has intel you find that reveals the location of skill points, weapons and accessories, and activities and supply raids. Perfect to grab some buddies, drive or fly around and just do everything you come across while laughing on voice with your friends.
    Difficulty settings are on a personal level. At lower difficulty you do more damage while taking less, at higher difficulties you take more damage. This means any of your friends can play at their preferred level while you play at your own. Its pretty great.
    The Story is.. not shit? Like I suggest watching the cutscenes you get from Bowman every time you start a new zone because most are interesting, but its also a shooter so i mean most people arent here for super engaging storylines.

If you like pretty good shooting mechanics, an open world with plenty of stuff to do, and lots of chucklefuck shenanigans with your friends you can get a LOT of mileage out of this game. There are a LOT of zones, each zone has story missions, each story mission ends with you eliminating a part of the Cartel's power structure and you get a badass pre-upgraded weapon.

Some downsides.

The AI is extremely powerful and also completely bullshit at the same time in single player. You can "Sync shot" and trivialize a lot of the content, but if you rush in guns blazing the AI will lag behind and not help out until you die, then they rush to you to revive while also clearing all the enemies around you. So they either dont do anything while you work, or you can abuse the shit out of sync shot and make everything really easy on how you use them.
    Theres a LOT of bugs in the game. Sometimes sounds repeat, especially the lock-on for missiles. Some missions require you to stealth them and remain "undetected" and yet will completely fail randomly and repeatedly. Im looking at you Bank truck mission, fuck you. Zones are labeled from 1 skull to 5 skull in difficulty. Because everything dies super easy (Its not level based, like Division) the way they increase the difficulty is by adding more Drone Jammers, SAM sites, and Unidad patrols. So yes difficulty is increased, but in ways that can get bullshitty more than harder to shootmans.
    A lot of the activies are fun, but they're literally the same in every single zone. So while you have a LOT of stuff to do, sometimes it gets really repetitive. The ones where you bust into a network site and have to kill everyone in a building is one I really enjoyed, but the "Tag one antenna, then fly to another one a few kilometers away" was boring as shit to me after the 2nd or 3rd one.
    The guns are really cool and fun to get. But I found one or two that I REALLY liked and kept them around a lot more. Theres more guns I didn't try using than guns I used for more than an hour or two.

Overall? I put A LOT of hours into it. I loved most of them. If you end up playing games with friends more often than not, and you like open world shooters, this is definitely a great choice. Maybe wait for the price to go down, or see what the dlc offerings are, but goddamn I loved playing GRWL. If anyone picks it up and wants some backup, lemme know. I'm always down for shenanigans.

I mean, I completed the game 100%, and just want an excuse to get back into it and play with my friends more. Definitely one of my favorite games to putz around in. <3

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    CoffeyCoffey Terre Haute, IndianaRegistered User regular
    Fonjo wrote: »
    In six days I will add another year to my age. Not super exciting. To celebrate this mundane and common occurrence, I've decided to do some "PA G&T Adventure Team" giveaways.

Happy birthday! I've heard good things about Poly Bridge. Thanks for the giveaways!

76561197967491341.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Okay. I beat Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Henceforth GRWL). This game is AMAZING Fun. It is ABSOLUTELY not a perfect game, there are a lot of bugs and problems with it, but I put a trillion hours into it, and had a blast playing it in coop and single player. I'm going to write up a quick little review about it and explain why I had so much fun.

Few quick facts about it.

It is a shooter, but not cover based. There is some cover, and you can somewhat post up on it to take cover, but there isnt a take cover button, and you can't run from one cover to another while crouched, etc.
    It is not bullet spongy at all. If you're in the "not detected" phase you can kill anyone with 1 shot. You die super quickly too. It helps to stealth kill, but its not required. You can 'go loud' on most missions and complete it just fine.
    The boss encounters are more of firefights, while the bosses themselves die just as quick as other mooks.
    The entire world is HUGE and full of activities. Every zone has intel you find that reveals the location of skill points, weapons and accessories, and activities and supply raids. Perfect to grab some buddies, drive or fly around and just do everything you come across while laughing on voice with your friends.
    Difficulty settings are on a personal level. At lower difficulty you do more damage while taking less, at higher difficulties you take more damage. This means any of your friends can play at their preferred level while you play at your own. Its pretty great.
    The Story is.. not shit? Like I suggest watching the cutscenes you get from Bowman every time you start a new zone because most are interesting, but its also a shooter so i mean most people arent here for super engaging storylines.

If you like pretty good shooting mechanics, an open world with plenty of stuff to do, and lots of chucklefuck shenanigans with your friends you can get a LOT of mileage out of this game. There are a LOT of zones, each zone has story missions, each story mission ends with you eliminating a part of the Cartel's power structure and you get a badass pre-upgraded weapon.

Some downsides.

The AI is extremely powerful and also completely bullshit at the same time in single player. You can "Sync shot" and trivialize a lot of the content, but if you rush in guns blazing the AI will lag behind and not help out until you die, then they rush to you to revive while also clearing all the enemies around you. So they either dont do anything while you work, or you can abuse the shit out of sync shot and make everything really easy on how you use them.
    Theres a LOT of bugs in the game. Sometimes sounds repeat, especially the lock-on for missiles. Some missions require you to stealth them and remain "undetected" and yet will completely fail randomly and repeatedly. Im looking at you Bank truck mission, fuck you. Zones are labeled from 1 skull to 5 skull in difficulty. Because everything dies super easy (Its not level based, like Division) the way they increase the difficulty is by adding more Drone Jammers, SAM sites, and Unidad patrols. So yes difficulty is increased, but in ways that can get bullshitty more than harder to shootmans.
    A lot of the activies are fun, but they're literally the same in every single zone. So while you have a LOT of stuff to do, sometimes it gets really repetitive. The ones where you bust into a network site and have to kill everyone in a building is one I really enjoyed, but the "Tag one antenna, then fly to another one a few kilometers away" was boring as shit to me after the 2nd or 3rd one.
    The guns are really cool and fun to get. But I found one or two that I REALLY liked and kept them around a lot more. Theres more guns I didn't try using than guns I used for more than an hour or two.

Overall? I put A LOT of hours into it. I loved most of them. If you end up playing games with friends more often than not, and you like open world shooters, this is definitely a great choice. Maybe wait for the price to go down, or see what the dlc offerings are, but goddamn I loved playing GRWL. If anyone picks it up and wants some backup, lemme know. I'm always down for shenanigans.

I mean, I completed the game 100%, and just want an excuse to get back into it and play with my friends more. Definitely one of my favorite games to putz around in. <3

So what you're saying is wait for the republic commando mod?

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Henceforth GRoWL).

Fail!

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands (Henceforth GRWL)

Over 800 word post, uses acronym once. Worth it! :mrgreen:

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I've only kickstarted 3 games.

Divinity orignal sin
    Shovel knight
    Delver's drop

The first two I've played and are obviously great games, but until now I had forgotten about delver's drop. Did anyone else kickstart this? I don't think it ever came out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Shadowrun isn't crazy long, part of the reason I like those games.
    They aim for a more focused 20-30h experience instead of the sprawling side questions filled wrpg / open world expectation.

A successful run in Chalice isn't that long either but even though I like that game a lot, it has multiple layers of RNG that can combine into "you're fucked"

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    I've only kickstarted 3 games.

Divinity orignal sin
    Shovel knight
    Delver's drop

The first two I've played and are obviously great games, but until now I had forgotten about delver's drop. Did anyone else kickstart this? I don't think it ever came out.

Apparently, they are still in "active development"?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hey there! Do you like collectible card games that are apparently actually pretty good? Do you like monster girls? Do you like cheesecake? Or if you don't like cheesecake do you like dumping cheesecake games onto Pixie for laughs? Do you enjoy Compile Heart/Idea Factory games and humor?

Then Monster Monpiece is for you. I'm just gonna link it and tag it with a big NSFW.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/415300

• Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Hey there! Do you like collectible card games that are apparently actually pretty good? Do you like monster girls? Do you like cheesecake? Or if you don't like cheesecake do you like dumping cheesecake games onto Pixie for laughs? Do you enjoy Compile Heart/Idea Factory games and humor?

Then Monster Monpiece is for you. I'm just gonna link it and tag it with a big NSFW.

you forgot to mention the rubbing

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular

You don't get the same full rubbing experience that you do with a Vita, though. Great game for public transportation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ukfukl6fmhU

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    You don't get the same full rubbing experience that you do with public transportation.

Do we need to have a chat, Stabs?

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

Someone in chat said the rubbing wasn't in it. I don't have the game myself so I can't confirm or deny if it is. There is supposedly the promise of rubbing, but that's about all I can glean.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Zavian wrote: »

Someone in chat said the rubbing wasn't in it. I don't have the game myself so I can't confirm or deny if it is. There is supposedly the promise of rubbing, but that's about all I can glean.

There's rubbing, it's just done with the mouse.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    You don't get the same full rubbing experience that you do with public transportation.

Do we need to have a chat, Stabs?

It's not often this is in context, but I can't pass it up when it is.

IB2Xz1S.jpg

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Such loose morals on display. You should be ashamed for peddling this filth.
    7p5lvwpljwdj.jpg

Errr never mind.

Actual end-game kind-of spoiler, but one of my favorite bits of game dialogue ever:
    ccel51ogksmr.png

And to add some actual content to this: yes, it's a game with a serious amount of barely-dressed monster girls in it, but it's also a really fun strategy / collecting game. Come for the bounce, stay for the "just one more battle"

baudattitude on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Hmmm... well, that's certainly a thing, isn't it?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Technically, you might be able to use the SC touchpads as a touchpad for the rubbing?

Or the PS4 gamepad touchpad, maybe?

I'm just trying to be helpful here.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Hey, if you bought the Humble Monthly from July of last year, a key has been added to that bundle for a game called Copoka. I noticed it a few days ago but forgot to mention it here.

• Options
    Looking at the MonMon cheevos, it looks like they dropped all the awful online ones. So that's a plus. :)

(Though admittedly I just used two Vitas to cheese my way to the 100 wins etc)

• Options
    See, I might enjoy that game if it was not for the art style.

• Options
    Looking at the MonMon cheevos, it looks like they dropped all the awful online ones. So that's a plus. :)

(Though admittedly I just used two Vitas to cheese my way to the 100 wins etc)

I believe they removed multiplayer entirely.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    See, I might enjoy that game if it was not for the art style.

I'd love to be able to tell you "oh, it's just a little bit of fan service in the intro to draw the target audience in, and if you can roll your eyes and get through that it's fine", because there are a lot of Vita games like that - they frontload some cleavage and accidental panty exposure and then get over it and get to making a real game of things.

But, no. MonMon is T&A for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and if you finish your dinner there will be cheesecake for dessert. Not much more to say about it really.

• Options
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Yeah, even as someone that backed relatively few projects - Pathologic, Wasteland 2 & 3, Shadowrun Returns, Torment, and Pillars of Eternity - it's still easy to fall behind on playing them; never did finish Pillars, and still need to check out Torment. Several of those are meaty RPGs that eat up time by design, but I think they just risk falling on the backburner by the time of release, since the flow of new games of all sizes has only increased. A variant of the Early Access dilemma might come in as well, if demos are involved.

In any case, still glad to see they're on track with Pathologic. That's a case where I honestly don't mind flinging them some money even if I don't get around to playing for a while, just because the game occupies a weird space in my brain. The original is a clunky, confusing mess, but there's something fascinating about what it does. I really haven't played many (possibly any) games like it, and I like the idea of a modern version that's a little easier to approach. I want more people to see what I see in it.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I haven't been gaming much of late. Over the last several weeks, my life has consisted of little but drinking, watching curling, and drunken Skype calls. That time has come to an end. I hate to admit it, but I really, really wish my life was always that awesome. I may also have suffered permanent hearing damage due to the excessive squeeing from my curling buddy after Newfoundland won the Briar.

Last night I finished up a chapter in Hyperdimension Neptunia 1 and added a new end-of-chapter save. The average of 2.3 days between chapters was slightly changed with a month long gap from the previous one. However, dropping back into chapter 8 all of a sudden I have a bunch of one off characters being added into the party. Each has their own equipment to be optimized, plus each has their own set of attacks, plus the one-more attacks, plus the character pairings, plus...

You know, sometimes it seems that there are poor times to stop playing a game. For action games, that can be any time after getting a feel for the new moves. For RPGs and SRPGs, it often seems to be any point since each new system and PC adds an exponential layer of management.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    There's a Space Run sequel out? I should go back and finish the first one. The only problem is that in Rimworld
    I tried to rush some raiders as they were setting up for a siege, but they downed and kidnapped like, half of my colony. I ransomed one of my best people back for SUPER cheap, and then I saw they were cheap because they had permanent brain damage from an assault rifle round. Ah well, my prodigal smith and crafter is now relegated to cleaning the floors.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Space Run's sequel is odd. They went all in on this sort of persistent multiplayer world thing but.....nobody bought it. I mean, it is a tower defense game. And it's kind of this MMOish style of game now. It's very ambitious, but I have to wonder who they made it for. Nothing about the first game made me go "You know what this needs? The ability for me to leave my cargo behind and pay some newbie to ferry it for me." It's a cool idea on paper, but the actual core gameplay isn't interesting enough to really justify it.

What the first game needed was some polishing of mechanics and more interesting encounters. Instead they added on a lot of bloat and grind.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Space Run's sequel is odd. They went all in on this sort of persistent multiplayer world thing but.....nobody bought it. I mean, it is a tower defense game. And it's kind of this MMOish style of game now. It's very ambitious, but I have to wonder who they made it for. Nothing about the first game made me go "You know what this needs? The ability for me to leave my cargo behind and pay some newbie to ferry it for me." It's a cool idea on paper, but the actual core gameplay isn't interesting enough to really justify it.

What the first game needed was some polishing of mechanics and more interesting encounters. Instead they added on a lot of bloat and grind.

I assume you can just play the SP campaign in the new Space Run and just ignore all of the other people, right?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    You can, but the campaign is pretty basic. The whole MMOish design is part of the game itself. You aren't for instance, the hillbilly from the first game, you are a mute, and the hillbilly hires you. And it expects you to grind and do a lot of side stuff and whatnot in order to move on.

To be clear, there's no actual other players around, it's like how mobile games you can have your friend help you grow your crops in farmville sort of stuff. So you can just play it ignoring the social aspect, but it's affected the game's design so much that the negative aspects of building that sort of mechanic in will creep into single player's games eventually.

• Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    Took twice my dose of meds this morning. Forgot I had already taken them. A bit disoriented at work. Might need to take the day off. Frustrating.

Appreciate the birthday wishes. Working with a recruiter to get a better job with my company. Looks like something might pan out in the next few months maybe. If so, it could potentially double my personal income.

If this happens... after the first couple paychecks, I might accidentally gift a bunch. Just a warning. Send good vibes. I need a new job. :(

This discussion has been closed.