Options

Nier Auto[chat]a

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I think I would feel better in a makeout party if I were blindfolded, the psychoanalysis of which I don't really want to examine under the hood

i'm sure in that situation there will be a lot of examination under the hood

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I'm going for a walk.

Same.

The upside of my new work is that I'm afforded the chance to walk across Boston proper every day

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Tav wrote: »
    zepherin wrote: »
    wazilla wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Yesterday a therapist suggested that I could try going to a men's divorce support group

"I, uh... look I'm sorry but why would that even be gendered? That seems kinda dumb."

"Ah! Well. Lots of people who are getting divorced, they often become unreasonably angry when they interact with someone the same gender as their ex-spouse. So gender segregation is usually the least risky way to organize a support group."

So like that group's gotta be like an MRA soft pitch right?

Why is there an immediate assumption that a men's support group is negative simply because it's a men's support group?

because of the high correlation?

You're right, men should just hold it in and never be in groups larger than 2.

Honestly, that's not a bad plan.

Precisely. It's better to be a suicide statistic than it is to risk the danger that a man might let their anger out productively in a group setting.

Holy false dichotomy, Batman.

Although, honestly, I can't imagine anything worse than a group of like 10 cisgender hetero white men

Replace race and gender and we've got quite a fucking comment here, don't we?

Wow.

Can't imagine anything worse than a group of like, 10 gay jew men.

Can't imagine anything worse than a group of like, 10 lesbian black women.

How the fuck

Man being in control of everything in a country for hundreds of years will fuck a group of people up!

Being an reasonable fuckhead to people you don't know is a shitty fucking attitude. So fuck you.

I mean, of course there are arrangements of 10 of us that wouldn't be terrible but l, like, on average? I dunno man!

Sounds incredibly shitty.

If someone said that about black men you'd call them a racist, and you'd be right.

Your attitude sucks, and picking a certain target that is en vogue for other groups of people is not an excusable methodology.

I don't know that it's stylish or whatever but lots of white men voted to like build a wall and shit! It's weird. I don't want these things but people that are like me do. Most people like me, even.

63% of white men who voted /= all
    And a lot of them didn't vote for Trump so much as they voted against Hillary Clinton. Apparently she has a great many detractors.

i mean, most white people aren't even american so your generalisation is waaaay off base

My ethnocentrism!

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Trains are cool

More games should be set on trains

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hmm, hmm

I think I don't have very gendered emotional needs or problems

And I do not relate very well with bros who need to get their bro on

So a gendered support group sounded to me like a bad time

Some people have irrational resentment towards others. Sometimes the only way to work through that irrational resentment is to talk to others they don't irrationally resent until they can heal from a horrible situation they went through.

You may not feel the same way, but if we're going to afford women these things then men should have the same and not be immediately thought of as MRA broskis just looking to shit on women.

I think you might be confounding me a bit with people whose comments were more aggressive?

I think for me it would be an unhelpful and uncomfortable environment, so I have no desire to subject myself to it

Everyones different, I apologize if I came off a little heated.

If that isn't your thing, then it's not. The purpose is just to work through the problem, and for a lot of people (myself in included), you sort of get this irrational set of emotions after being kicked to the curb.

But again, we all need to heal. We just all heal a bit differently.

It's fine; I don't think you were rude or anything

I don't think it's ridiculous or unnecessary to have gendered support groups, but also, in the abstract, I am offended by the social conditions which create a need for them

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    Trains are cool

according to the principles of general relativity if your game were set on a train with blacked out windows you wouldn't even know

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    I think I would feel better in a makeout party if I were blindfolded, the psychoanalysis of which I don't really want to examine under the hood

I've done this

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Hakkekage wrote: »

i'm sure in that situation there will be a lot of examination under the hood

Ah yes, the Roman tradition of pulling the back of the toga over the head in religious ceremonies under which much inward reflection was presumed to occur

But for real though I was born in Brooklyn, take from that what you will re: under the hood, you pervert

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    side question, why would we assume that only white men are attending the support group?

• Options
    Trains are cool

Is there a Murder on the Orient Express type game

I'm sure there is

would be a cool thing to adapt to a mobile game

• Options
    TL DR wrote: »

I've done this

we know

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Trump got less votes than the last white guy that ran, Hillary Clinton just got way less votes than the last Democrat

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    side question, why would we assume that only white men are attending the support group?

not sure if i can think of a whiter thing than a men's support group

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I'm finely bearded now Eddy

You might mistake me for Delmain or Hakks

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    Breaking it down ultra-simplistically, men, especially white men, have held a position of power and privilege in the various societies and cultures of the world since the dawn of society and culture. They've gotten up to some pretty heinous shit. No one here will disagree with this, I trust.

Some of us who are members of this group but actively attempt to "be better" and treat everyone as equals get tired of modern western culture making us the villains. We acknowledge that men have historically been dicks. We spend a lot of time introspecting and improving ourselves so as not to fall into those same behavioral patterns and assumptions, and we do not want to be judged for our anatomy or skin color any more than the groups our group has historically repressed.

I am certain some people are thinking "tough shit" as they read that last sentence. This is the reality of the situation. For many in society, it's not about equality. It cannot be about equality, because the only way to achieve "equality" is via retribution. The oppressed cannot truly be equal until the former oppressors have been subjugated. There must be punishment before the situation can feel just.

And there is nothing that can, or should, be done about it.

I acknowledge that my view of humanity and power dynamics is fairly pessimistic, but neither do I feel that my assessment is wrong. Human history is the study of conflict, and I don't see any end to this. There will always be tribes that seek to hold their power and subjugate outsiders, and there will always be outsiders seeking to become the new oppressors. This is the way we are.
    Yeah

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Hmm, hmm

I think I don't have very gendered emotional needs or problems

And I do not relate very well with bros who need to get their bro on

So a gendered support group sounded to me like a bad time

Some people have irrational resentment towards others. Sometimes the only way to work through that irrational resentment is to talk to others they don't irrationally resent until they can heal from a horrible situation they went through.

You may not feel the same way, but if we're going to afford women these things then men should have the same and not be immediately thought of as MRA broskis just looking to shit on women.

I think you might be confounding me a bit with people whose comments were more aggressive?

I think for me it would be an unhelpful and uncomfortable environment, so I have no desire to subject myself to it

Everyones different, I apologize if I came off a little heated.

If that isn't your thing, then it's not. The purpose is just to work through the problem, and for a lot of people (myself in included), you sort of get this irrational set of emotions after being kicked to the curb.

But again, we all need to heal. We just all heal a bit differently.

It's fine; I don't think you were rude or anything

I don't think it's ridiculous or unnecessary to have gendered support groups, but also, in the abstract, I am offended by the social conditions which create a need for them
    This is too agreeable.

What's he hiding.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Breaking it down ultra-simplistically, men, especially white men, have held a position of power and privilege in the various societies and cultures of the world since the dawn of society and culture. They've gotten up to some pretty heinous shit. No one here will disagree with this, I trust.

Some of us who are members of this group but actively attempt to "be better" and treat everyone as equals get tired of modern western culture making us the villains. We acknowledge that men have historically been dicks. We spend a lot of time introspecting and improving ourselves so as not to fall into those same behavioral patterns and assumptions, and we do not want to be judged for our anatomy or skin color any more than the groups our group has historically repressed.

I am certain some people are thinking "tough shit" as they read that last sentence. This is the reality of the situation. For many in society, it's not about equality. It cannot be about equality, because the only way to achieve "equality" is via retribution. The oppressed cannot truly be equal until the former oppressors have been subjugated. There must be punishment before the situation can feel just.

I acknowledge that my view of humanity and power dynamics is fairly pessimistic, but neither do I feel that my assessment is wrong. Human history is the study of conflict, and I don't see any end to this. There will always be tribes that seek to hold their power and subjugate outsiders, and there will always be outsiders seeking to become the new oppressors. This is the way we are.
    Yeah

Nah

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I'm finely bearded now Eddy

You might mistake me for Delmain or Hakks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I don't actually disagree. I just wanted to say "nah"

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Trains are cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHkKJfcBXcw

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

Yeah

Nah

Gah

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    yo so last week I was watching Samantha Bee clips in the morning before work and turned on this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ3bRiuV3bw

and within the first 2 seconds of thr segment I'm like WTF...that's...Clydz?! The bar I hung out in all the time in college?

WTF? Charlie Kratovil?? I KNOW THAT GUY. I toked up with that guy. I fucking moved into his (GROSS, NASTY-ASS) apartment in senior year after he left it!

It was such a holy shit moment I'm still reeling

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular

I guess the problem is a lot of former/current oppressors see actual equality as being oppressed instead of being equal

because they've never been on the shit side of the stick

IMO this is why we're getting our current regressive backlash to demographic shifts as the groups that historically have held all the keys are faced with becoming mere pluralities instead of majorities.

like a great philosopher once said, "This is the worst kind of discrimination; the kind against me."

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Coincidentally, I would never even fathom joining a support group of any stripe, due directly to my rather dim view of humanity in generally, especially when we form groups.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

men's support drum circle

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    I don't actually disagree. I just wanted to say "nah"

Yeah

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Trump got less votes than the last white guy that ran, Hillary Clinton just got way less votes than the last Democrat
    Neither of these is true.

edit: whoops, mixed up two digits. Hillary did get slightly fewer votes than Obama.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Trains are cool

i was going to say i remember the Cluedo point and click game was set on a train but after some googling it turns out it was actually a boat

boo

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Trains are cool

Is there a Murder on the Orient Express type game

I'm sure there is

would be a cool thing to adapt to a mobile game
    Yes there is a game called The Last Express which I thought was v good

mzQNPVl.png

http://store.steampowered.com/app/252710/

I know there was also an actual game adaptation of Murder on the Orient Express but apparently you don't play as Poirot but like you're his assistant or something what is this bullshit

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    There's a men's support group run by a guy that works for my company who is Mexican, they talk about relationships, kids, and a little bit of veterans PTSD stuff

I think he's trying to steal white culture by hosting a support group because that's our thing

override367 on
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    I would honestly like to prolong that hesitation and intimacy right before the kiss, that's what I really want from a quickly-becoming-real blindfolded chat makeout session

Just that moment of near-connection...

carbonite freeze me as I am about to kiss a beautiful puppy, for ever

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Neither of these is true.

yeah it should be fewer

• Options
    Coincidentally, I would never even fathom joining a support group of any stripe, due directly to my rather dim view of humanity in generally, especially when we form groups.
    I dunno. I've gone to support a friend in AA and it really helps.

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular

Trump had a few million more than Romney, and Hillary had about as many as Obama?

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I don't want to subjugate shit, way too much work, let the machines run it all.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnqp0a_5k4I

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I would honestly like to prolong that hesitation and intimacy right before the kiss, that's what I really want from a quickly-becoming-real blindfolded chat makeout session

oh eddy once again you suffer from the eternal ennui of desiring only anticipation but never savoring the catch smh

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular

@Powerpuppies !?

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    There's a men's support group run by a guy that works for my company who is Mexican, they talk about relationships, kids, and a little bit of veterans PTSD stuff

I think he's trying to steal white culture by hosting a support group because that's our thing

No, stealing culture is our thing. He needs to stop appropriating our appropriation.

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options

@Powerpuppies !?

Puppies is dead

he died of longing unfulfilled

This discussion has been closed.