As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nier Auto[chat]a

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    wazilla wrote: »
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    HerrCron wrote: »
    Aioua wrote: »
    Sleep wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »
    Yesterday a therapist suggested that I could try going to a men's divorce support group

"I, uh... look I'm sorry but why would that even be gendered? That seems kinda dumb."

"Ah! Well. Lots of people who are getting divorced, they often become unreasonably angry when they interact with someone the same gender as their ex-spouse. So gender segregation is usually the least risky way to organize a support group."

So like that group's gotta be like an MRA soft pitch right?

Why is there an immediate assumption that a men's support group is negative simply because it's a men's support group?

because of the high correlation?

You're right, men should just hold it in and never be in groups larger than 2.

Honestly, that's not a bad plan.

Precisely. It's better to be a suicide statistic than it is to risk the danger that a man might let their anger out productively in a group setting.

Holy false dichotomy, Batman.

Although, honestly, I can't imagine anything worse than a group of like 10 cisgender hetero white men

Replace race and gender and we've got quite a fucking comment here, don't we?

Wow.

Can't imagine anything worse than a group of like, 10 gay jew men.

Can't imagine anything worse than a group of like, 10 lesbian black women.

How the fuck

Man being in control of everything in a country for hundreds of years will fuck a group of people up!

Being an reasonable fuckhead to people you don't know is a shitty fucking attitude. So fuck you.

I mean, of course there are arrangements of 10 of us that wouldn't be terrible but l, like, on average? I dunno man!

Sounds incredibly shitty.

If someone said that about black men you'd call them a racist, and you'd be right.

Your attitude sucks, and picking a certain target that is en vogue for other groups of people is not an excusable methodology.

Maybe soon you'll be using terms like "hes one of the good ones" and "but he speaks so well!"

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    i think straight white men should habitually get into a circle and touch penises

I think it would be good therapy

am I pregnant now?

Yes.

but

which of these twelve men I touched penes with is the father??

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I don't know what's going on or who is on what side of the issue, but I'm apparently annoyed for no particular reason.

*raises hands in exasperation*

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Ah yes, "fuck men in particular", we were overdo for that comment in chat.

I remain not a fan of that sentiment

but it is interesting to figure out why we have such negative reactions to a men's group, whereas for a women's group we'd probably think 'hm, yeah, makes sense, maybe she needs a safe space because she was abused, or like maybe she didn't work or do the finances and now needs help being independent'

...and I don't really like that train of thought either? Yeah, in principle, given the reality that both men and women often feel more comfortable bro'ing out/opening up within gender lines, there's nothing wrong with the concept of gendered support groups.

all very hetero-assuming here of course

Safe spaces should be safe. If someone doesn't feel comfortable venting about things their wife did or didn't do in front of other women, that's 100% understandable to me. Last thing you want is an ex husband or ex wife to denigrate someone's experiences and pain because "you should've just been better" or "maybe you should've done more" which is what happens frequently when there's a mixing of ideologies (or genders in this case).

It's uncomfortable and it's part of the reason men find it difficult to talk to other people about their problems.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    i think straight white men should habitually get into a circle and touch penises

am I pregnant now?

Yes

it's a girl, of course

Oh and we're Gerudos now

Great, now I've got this stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0aEj85ifY

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Elki wrote: »
    DISGRACED Cheshire East councillor Brian Silvester has been spared jail but must pay almost £70,000 after admitting putting vulnerable lives at risk at his rented property in Crewe.

@Elki because of course this cunt is a slumlord.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on or who is on what side of the issue, but I'm apparently annoyed for no particular reason.

look at this low energy beta cuck exhausted with the tremendous effort of a negative online discussion space! Mockery! Disdain!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    "EU Control"

sure

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hmm, hmm

I think I don't have very gendered emotional needs or problems

And I do not relate very well with bros who need to get their bro on

So a gendered support group sounded to me like a bad time

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular

but it is interesting to figure out why we have such negative reactions to a men's group, whereas for a women's group we'd probably think 'hm, yeah, makes sense, maybe she needs a safe space because she was abused, or like maybe she didn't work or do the finances and now needs help being independent'

...and I don't really like that train of thought either? Yeah, in principle, given the reality that both men and women often feel more comfortable bro'ing out/opening up within gender lines, there's nothing wrong with the concept of gendered support groups.

Safe spaces should be safe. If someone doesn't feel comfortable venting about things their wife did or didn't do in front of other women, that's 100% understandable to me. Last thing you want is an ex husband or ex wife to denigrate someone's experiences and pain because "you should've just been better" or "maybe you should've done more" which is what happens frequently when there's a mixing of ideologies (or genders in this case).

It's uncomfortable and it's part of the reason men find it difficult to talk to other people about their problems.

Yeah I agree with you.

I don't think it's good to default assume with no evidence that a group of men is sexist or toxic, even jokingly/lightheartedly. It's...not helpful and I feel it's actively unhelpful.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    Burnage wrote: »

am I pregnant now?

Yes

it's a girl, of course

Oh and we're Gerudos now

You know I love the atmosphere of Breath of the Wild but I really just want some iconic musical pieces that get stuck in your head ;_;

Even Spirit Tracks has a great song

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I thought that Brexit tweet must be satire.

Aren't those garbage bins?

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular

Yeah I agree with you.

I don't think it's good to default assume with no evidence that a group of men is sexist or toxic, even jokingly/lightheartedly. It's...not helpful and I feel it's actively unhelpful.

people love being shitty on the internet tho

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Well shit, didn't think that was going to spiral like that.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    listening to a group of men commiserate around their common scorn for the other gender probably has never led to any malicious actions ever you're right

Well i've been in dozens of women's bathrooms bitching about men being scumbags and now women control the world's governments and Hillary Clinton is president

*passes law to only have men's bathrooms*

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I thought that Brexit tweet must be satire.

We all did, Surfpossum.

We all did.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hmm, hmm

Some people have irrational resentment towards others. Sometimes the only way to work through that irrational resentment is to talk to others they don't irrationally resent until they can heal from a horrible situation they went through.

You may not feel the same way, but if we're going to afford women these things then men should have the same and not be immediately thought of as MRA broskis just looking to shit on women.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydpz1RSPeDs

I love the Smash Bros mix of the Spirit Tracks song

It's like a jaunty Western ditty

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Yesterday a therapist suggested that I could try going to a men's divorce support group

"I, uh... look I'm sorry but why would that even be gendered? That seems kinda dumb."

"Ah! Well. Lots of people who are getting divorced, they often become unreasonably angry when they interact with someone the same gender as their ex-spouse. So gender segregation is usually the least risky way to organize a support group."

Why is there an immediate assumption that a men's support group is negative simply because it's a men's support group?

Precisely. It's better to be a suicide statistic than it is to risk the danger that a man might let their anger out productively in a group setting.

Although, honestly, I can't imagine anything worse than a group of like 10 cisgender hetero white men

Wow.

How the fuck

Man being in control of everything in a country for hundreds of years will fuck a group of people up!

Being an reasonable fuckhead to people you don't know is a shitty fucking attitude. So fuck you.

I mean, of course there are arrangements of 10 of us that wouldn't be terrible but l, like, on average? I dunno man!

If someone said that about black men you'd call them a racist, and you'd be right.

Your attitude sucks, and picking a certain target that is en vogue for other groups of people is not an excusable methodology.

I don't know that it's stylish or whatever but lots of white men voted to like build a wall and shit! It's weird. I don't want these things but people that are like me do. Most people like me, even.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options

Wow.

How the fuck

I don't know that it's stylish or whatever but lots of white men voted to like build a wall and shit! It's weird. I don't want these things but people that are like me do. Most people like me, even.

A lot of white women, too. And a lot of minorities and young people didn't even bother showing up to vote.

Still not an excuse.

• Options

look at this low energy beta cuck exhausted with the tremendous effort of a negative online discussion space! Mockery! Disdain!
    I'm low on energy from all that fucking I've been doing.

• Options

am I pregnant now?

Yes

it's a girl, of course

Oh and we're Gerudos now

You know I love the atmosphere of Breath of the Wild but I really just want some iconic musical pieces that get stuck in your head ;_;

imo this is one of the biggest problems with dynamic music

it ends up sounding blase because they want it to fade in and out smoothly with the other songs

or for even more dynamic music there is no canonical song, various instruments and melody lines interweave depending on the circumstance

• Options

I'm sure your socks are exhausted too

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

• Options

am I pregnant now?

Yes

it's a girl, of course

Oh and we're Gerudos now

it ends up sounding blase because they want it to fade in and out smoothly with the other songs

or for even more dynamic music there is no canonical song, various instruments and melody lines interweave depending on the circumstance

Counterpoint: Doom 2016

• Options

Wow.

How the fuck

A lot of white women, too. And a lot of minorities and young people didn't even bother showing up to vote.

Still not an excuse.

But, like, less

• Options

I'm sure your socks are exhausted too

HEYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
    What else do you do with silk socks?

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    mra and the_donald on reddit are not representative of men at large who struggle with problems in their day to day

I opened up last night about something I was struggling with, which was pretty tame, but it's super hard for guys to do that and not everyone has PA's chat to open up to. It was barely anything but it was a lot for me at the time and when I open up like that to people in my personal life, girls and guys alike, I get shut down and told to just man up and deal with it.

Being a guy sucks sometimes and a lot of people just assume we make snide jokes about racism or sexism all the time. Toxic masculinity goes both ways here, it hurts in some ways and helps in others.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The hell is going on in here.

Last thing I know we're talking about burning man, I leave for 20min and come back to this shit?

BAD CHAT!

I'm getting the hose!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

Wow.

How the fuck

I don't think "most white men" want a shitty wall. I mean he did lose the popular vote.

I mean, I could be wrong but I hope I'm not.
    Exit poll data found that 52 per cent of white women voted for Mr Trump, compared with 63 per cent of white men. By comparison, 80 per cent of black men voted for Hillary Clinton, who also attracted the support of 93 per cent of black women.
    Fuck I'm wrong we're doomed shut it down
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/who-voted-for-donald-trump-white-men-and-women-most-responsible-for-new-president-elect-voting-data-a7407996.html

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Hmm, hmm

Some people have irrational resentment towards others. Sometimes the only way to work through that irrational resentment is to talk to others they don't irrationally resent until they can heal from a horrible situation they went through.

You may not feel the same way, but if we're going to afford women these things then men should have the same and not be immediately thought of as MRA broskis just looking to shit on women.

I think you might be confounding me a bit with people whose comments were more aggressive?

I think for me it would be an unhelpful and uncomfortable environment, so I have no desire to subject myself to it

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options

Wow.

How the fuck

Still not an excuse.

But, like, less

I mean, if you want to continue making unreasonably goosey remarks about people according to their race and sexual orientation, have at it.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    God I hate retail I feel like my life is draining out of my body and I have 4 more hours left

you work at the place with like handcrafted soap and stuff right?
    go find some artisinal potpourri and take a big whiff of it and let the overwhelming smells reinvigorate your weary soul.

Owner has poor soap taste so it all smells too much and creates a headache-causing perfused air thing over the course of the day :(
    I did go smell some earlier before my day was ruined and it was nice then tho so it's possible that I just hate soap rn because I am mad in general

Remember what the TV told us as children.

DONT GET MAD
    GET GLAD
    BFBw8Alm.jpg

WIMPY WIMPY WIMPY

HEFTY HEFTY HEFTY

GARBAGE BAGS AS MASCULINITY PROXY

I had that ad come on spotify once during sex

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options

am I pregnant now?

Yes

it's a girl, of course

Oh and we're Gerudos now

Yeah sometimes I just want to feel like the bloody HERO OF FUCKING HYRULE YOU KNOW

And that means some sweet fuckin instrumental going apeshit while I'm climbing up this FUCKING MOUNTAIN

MORE ELECTRIC GUITAR

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Wow.

How the fuck

I don't think "most white men" want a shitty wall. I mean he did lose the popular vote.

I mean, I could be wrong but I hope I'm not.
    Exit poll data found that 52 per cent of white women voted for Mr Trump, compared with 63 per cent of white men. By comparison, 80 per cent of black men voted for Hillary Clinton, who also attracted the support of 93 per cent of black women.
    Fuck I'm wrong we're doomed shut it down
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-elections/who-voted-for-donald-trump-white-men-and-women-most-responsible-for-new-president-elect-voting-data-a7407996.html

We aren't doomed, andI don't find it problematic to voice my opinion that white men in general need to get their shit together

• Options

Last thing I know we're talking about burning man, I leave for 20min and come back to this shit?

BAD CHAT!

I'm getting the hose!
    We went from burning men to mens rights.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular

Nah we did that during penis inspection day at school and it just makes a mess of things

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

BAD CHAT!

I'm getting the hose!
    We went from burning men to mens rights.

Burning men shouldn't have rights.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I'm going for a walk.

• Options
    Hmm, hmm

I think you might be confounding me a bit with people whose comments were more aggressive?

I think for me it would be an unhelpful and uncomfortable environment, so I have no desire to subject myself to it

Everyones different, I apologize if I came off a little heated.

If that isn't your thing, then it's not. The purpose is just to work through the problem, and for a lot of people (myself in included), you sort of get this irrational set of emotions after being kicked to the curb.

But again, we all need to heal. We just all heal a bit differently.

• Options
    if I get married I'm going to force the wedding party to prepare and perform a synchronized tango to the Smash Bros mix of Gerudo Valley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPsrvtzGI5w

This discussion has been closed.