Options

Nice weather [chat]

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I liked Thor 2 because I got what I wanted out of it which was a movie about Asgard and like Star Wars level effects.

Thor 2 felt like the Star Wars prequels we should have gotten.

I think I just wasn't into Asgard that much so it lost me. I'll have to give it another watch.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned anything over like 72 and it's time to seal all the exits and turn the AC down to "see your breath"
    It is 63 degrees right now, and I have the AC on in the apartment.

I have it programmed to be at 72 degrees during the day, and cool it down to 68, then go to 65 at night.

my thermostat stays on 64 year round. My electricity bill has been just over $100 in the winter many times

We have hotspots in the house though. Bedroom gets really hot, so yeah it can be cold as fuck in other parts of the house but I don't really care

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    As far as I'm concerned anything over like 72 and it's time to seal all the exits and turn the AC down to "see your breath"

I have it programmed to be at 72 degrees during the day, and cool it down to 68, then go to 65 at night.

my thermostat stays on 64 year round. My electricity bill has been just over $100 in the winter many times

We have hotspots in the house though. Bedroom gets really hot, so yeah it can be cold as fuck in other parts of the house but I don't really care

This humblebrag.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    I guess for literally 3 tons of something, this isn't a bad price.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm just excited our new apartment has AC

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    am I terrible for expecting the first post to say "wanna fuck"

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I'm ok with throwing imperial measurements in the trash either piecemeal or all at once. Whatever he have the political will to do. For real though, no chickening out like the 1970s. No conservatives pointlessly digging in their heels like measurement systems are an actual point of political contention. I don't want a prolonged period of showing both systems. Instant switchover for everything new.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    Syngyne wrote: »
    am I terrible for expecting the first post to say "wanna fuck"

Maybe a little bit

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    cptrugged wrote: »
    /Notices the speed limit signs in the UK are still in mph

/Throws the island into a volcano.

Look we're not perfect. Kilometres and buying beer in anything other than pints may be beyond us.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Oh yeah our electric bill in winter is cheap. Summer though, it's so much swing we have balanced billing from our electric provider. Cause we have 80-110 in winter and 270-300 in the summer.

One summer we put in a work order to fix our AC, and the guy was like. It's 100 degrees outside, and 78 in your apartment. Your not going to get 30 degrees of cooling on this system.

So we got a Dyson Cool.

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    Somebody once tried to explain to me that Fahrenheit was the superior scale for talking about temperature in human terms, because when it's 80F out that feels hotter than 27C would suggest.

• Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    If it gets over 70 there better be a god damn cooling breeze or I am going to turn on an AC unit somewhere.

perfect is 65 with a slight breeze, just a little something to get some air moving

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm ok with throwing imperial measurements in the trash either piecemeal or all at once. Whatever he have the political will to do. For real though, no chickening out like the 1970s. No conservatives pointlessly digging in their heels like measurement systems are an actual point of political contention. I don't want a prolonged period of showing both systems. Instant switchover for everything new.

Engineering and shit is much easier with metric units.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular

This humblebrag.

I'm sorry I know not everyone has two gaming laptops in their bedroom. I'm sorry for being a braggart

• Options
    Some Brexit cretins think they can use our new isolationist mindset to go back to the imperial system. The most fuddy-duddy of the broadsheets called for a glorious return to Fahrenheit and presumably measuring distance in furlongs and height in spans and age by amputating a limb and counting the rings.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

This humblebrag.

I'm sorry I know not everyone has two gaming laptops in their bedroom. I'm sorry for being a braggart

weird, but community appropriate euphemism

• Options
    It's not going to happen any time soon. There just isn't enough support and momentum for it.

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    @Elldren I don't really like being part of an XCOM or other roguelike/customizeable squad. It is mildly unsettling to have someone else controlling an avatar of me in whatever context; also having that avatar die is :bigfrown:

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    dk there are people who can't even read an analog clock how can we expect them to count to 10

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I think replacing fluid measures with liters will work ok, low friction, thanks soda industry. Also exchanging ounces for grams in weighing stuff should also go well cause nobody knows how much an ounce weighs in their hand anyway. So swapping to grams, who would give a shit.

Start the metric replacement today please.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    Somebody once tried to explain to me that Fahrenheit was the superior scale for talking about temperature in human terms, because when it's 80F out that feels hotter than 27C would suggest.

I assume the grave was shallow, as befits such a creature?

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The only benefit to F over C is that F being a smaller increment works better for atmospheric temperatures, and that's a pretty narrow benefit. That and I guess I would probably be uncomfortable trusting/unable to obtain a field reading at 0.1 C accuracy, so I can get more precision with 1 F readings than 1 C readings.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

depends on humidity

85 is a nice "I'd like to lounge around outside" weather

if it's humid or I'm being asked to do manual labor, fuck that noise

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I have to admit I like F for weather (more granular in the "livable human" range, etc), but we should use C and all other Metric units for anything else.

• Options
    If it's humid

as if that's a binary and not a constant

it's always humid

it's never not humid

your experience in your regions do not matter as you are all a figment of my imagination

• Options
    F is more granular and less awkward with regards to air temp

and that's about the only real benefit to it

I don't need to say "twenty seven point six" to say 82

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    whenever I review old plans from that particular era of the 70s I'm reminded how weirdly close we were to converting to SI

and then it didn't happen

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    If it's humid

it's always humid

it's never not humid

your experience in your regions do not matter as you are all a figment of my imagination

have you tried not living in a swamp

• Options
    If it's humid

it's always humid

it's never not humid

The entire east coast is swamp.

But, occasionally, the wind blows just right off the great lakes to make it not 101%

• Options
    I'll never forgive the Stonecutters

• Options
    Stupid sexy Steve Guttenberg

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    If it's humid

it's always humid

it's never not humid

In your imagination I'd like to be thought of as rich as Hades, and being Tom Hiddleston - who is actually Loki, with a successful Hollywood career.

• Options
    I think replacing fluid measures with liters will work ok, low friction, thanks soda industry. Also exchanging ounces for grams in weighing stuff should also go well cause nobody knows how much an ounce weighs in their hand anyway. So swapping to grams, who would give a shit.

I agree we should, but until we run out of rednecks, we will always have Mph, Gallons, yards, pints acres and feet.

The perceived gains are so small there just isn't populist support to justify the "cost."

Because honestly, only scientists and engineers are super passionate about it.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »

I have to admit I like F for weather (more granular in the "livable human" range, etc), but we should use C and all other Metric units for anything else.

Fahrenheit has about double the granularity for integer values. That's really not much.

74°F to 72°F, 23°C to 22°C. It's not exactly like youve lost any meaningful expressiveness in terms of human experience. And if for some reason you need to, use a decimal place.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I agree we should, but until we run out of rednecks, we will always have Mph, Gallons, yards, pints acres and feet.

The perceived gains are so small there just isn't populist support to justify the "cost."

Because honestly, only scientists and engineers are super passionate about it.

You could..... you could just teach kids now both and then slowly phase out one?

• Options
    you are all a figment of my imagination

Why is your imagination such a jerk sometimes?

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Heck, you could even just teach kids metric and let their parents deal with imperial.

• Options
    If it's humid

it's always humid

it's never not humid

In your imagination I'd like to be thought of as rich as Hades, and being Tom Hiddleston - who is actually Loki, with a successful Hollywood career.

Nope you're kevin smith in Die Hard 4 only not a hacker

• Options
    credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    In my current job I not only have to use m or feet depending on the situation, but also dumb shit like nautical miles and fathoms. Still haven't memorized those conversion factors. foot= 0.304 m?? ok, 0.3048, close enough. That's the only one I've got stored though.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • Options
    whenever I review old plans from that particular era of the 70s I'm reminded how weirdly close we were to converting to SI

and then it didn't happen

Metric was officially adopted as the measurement system of the US at various points (there's a whole bunch of acts that apply to it), so, I mean, technically we're already on Metric just the population ignored it completely.

This is why you see things like BTU, grams, liters and all those pop up on labels and specifications.

Just like, we half assed it like we do everything else.

This discussion has been closed.