Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    Well.

It's snappily titled 'Monstrous Pigments' on both Instagram and Facebook.

Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »
    Gross symbiotic weaponry can work, it's just boring to have it be held in hands and shot like a normal human gun. Make it something neat like a weaponized cordyceps, horrible fungus splitting open the bug's head and shooting high velocity spores at targets. Or two bugs joined at the butts, with one firing the other. The insect kingdom is vast and super nasty.

I feel like the descriptions from earlier 40k editions of the Tyranids were more like this, but got away from it, which is a shame.

More "Weird Bug Stuff", less "Bug Humanoids carrying bug-flavored human weapons", would be cool.

Eh... the original Rogue Trader Tyranid was a termaganty-looking thing usually wielding a bolter(-equivalent). Like, literally, you'd just roll bolters, chainswords, conversion beamers and power axes for them and then handwave them as organic bolters/chainswords/c-beamers/power axes. 2E at least gave them their own weapons list, but it was still swords and guns everywhere. I think the current Hive Tyrant's guns look significantly more grown-in than the 2E ones with clear handles and magazines.

Epic scale was generally better about it.

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    As an avid brush licker. I was oil washing some models tonight and learnt a valuable lesson. :(

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    J wrote: »
    As an avid brush licker. I was oil washing some models tonight and learnt a valuable lesson. :(

ew.

This is one of those times when I wish we had the "bro?" reaction.

• Options
    Thankfully the smell alone was enough to prevent me from licking when I was using oils on my Medusa.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Well, there's a lot of fixing ahead of me to really pull it up to 100%, so here it is for now:

oQ8aNCh.jpg

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Oh fall in a well and die.

<3

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Mayday wrote: »
    Well, there's a lot of fixing ahead of me to really pull it up to 100%, so here it is for now:

oQ8aNCh.jpg

Holy shit that's tight.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Kneel wrote: »
    Say, is it bad form if I leave links to my painting blogs on both Instagram and Facebook here?

Is that bad?

Add it into your .sig so we can find it easily! :D

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Kneel wrote: »
    Say, is it bad form if I leave links to my painting blogs on both Instagram and Facebook here?

Is that bad?

Add it into your .sig so we can find it easily! :D

Talking sense? How dare you!
    Also done :D

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    TacoForceTacoForce Registered User regular
    edited April 2017

oQ8aNCh.jpg

Ya know... Shit like this is why half my forces are still in their boxes...

...awesome job.......................
    *he said not filled with jealousy*

TacoForce on
  • Options
    @Mayday, do you have any issues keeping your hand steady when painting the inlay of the cloak?

Also what's your process with the true metallics? ie consistency, colours etc.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Well, I did in this case, but I think that's because I was tired after a couple hours of painting.
    My TMM is nothing special and something I need to work on. Just regular old boltgun metal, black wash and blended highlights with boltgun metal and then stormhost silver. For the gold it's a brown base, retributor, sepia wash, dark brown into the crevices, retributor and then retributor mixed with silver.

All in all, thanks for the kind words, guys! I'll start looking for a nearby well. :rotate:

Mayday on
  • Options
    Cheers dude. I often forget to base my golds with brown, and in hindsight I think that would help with their definition.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    I took a day off from painting yesterday but will probably get back to it tonight.

Current progress: bare head, sword and base to go.

xne766puozq9.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    @Extreaminatus and I were going to have a painting play-date today but now I'm just going to mope and be angry at @Mayday.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Extreaminatus and I were going to have a painting play-date today but now I'm just going to mope and be angry at "Mayday".
    Don't mope about.
    Hunt Mayday down, consume Mayday's brains and absorb Mayday's painting skills.
    I watch a lot of iZombie, I'm pretty sure that's how this works.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    @Extreaminatus and I were going to have a painting play-date today but now I'm just going to mope and be angry at @Mayday.

Man, I wish I was back in MD.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I am not a brush licker as it was a habit my mother saw fit to stop and make sure we never did
    She showed us other ways to keep and fix a tip on a brush

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I've been working through the latest Warhammer Quest box, it's fun painting lots of different types of units rather than stuff for a full army, shame there's no new minis in this one, but I haven't actually painted any of these kits before, so it's new to me I guess!

Our heroes, and the dastardly Chaos sorcerer villain. I did a couple of quick headswaps to sneak some ladies in there, and cos the Loremaster's big elf hat is very silly.
    DSCN0534_zpsisxsjose.jpg
    DSCN0540_zpsojbvoyy4.jpg

DSCN0539_zpsydp3y5xx.jpg

DSCN0536_zps0hzqbv3q.jpg

DSCN0538_zpsta3ltuu0.jpg

DSCN0537_zpshlbna4ov.jpg

Everyone's favourite beak-masked cultists make a second appearance in WQ, these models are pretty nice, but I would not want to do an army of them; too much intricate decoration for a cheap infantry unit!
    DSCN0542_zps692epvex.jpg
    DSCN0543_zpsdrfirq6v.jpg

DSCN0544_zpsliqn0pl6.jpg

To accompany the wily Kairic Acolytes you get a bunch of stab-happy psychopaths in the form of Blood Reavers, not much to say about these guys, they've got axes, leather straps and no shirts, Khorne stuff. Although I do like that one of the shouting heads doubles up for use as a musician blowing into the warhorn, clever.
    DSCN0545_zpscywdpobu.jpg
    DSCN0546_zpsfapgprt0.jpg

DSCN0547_zpslr1k01s6.jpg

Putrid Blightkings are the main bruisers in this dungeon adventure, and this is a great kit, I haven't really painted nurgle stuff before but my sloppy brushwork fits quite well when you're painting rotten, scabrous flesh, lots of fun details and components, I especially like the antlered champion.
    DSCN0548_zpsuwj0zi8q.jpg
    DSCN0549_zpsxmbqllqw.jpg

DSCN0550_zpsgs3m6xse.jpg

That's all the models included in the base kit, but just to add a bit of a more even representation from all four Chaos gods I picked up a box of Deamonettes for the Slaneeshi Sorcerer to summon up, plus a Branchwych for use as an additional hero.

DSCN0541_zps3bvmlfjh.jpg

DSCN0551_zpsutdx1ktw.jpg
    DSCN0552_zpsf0zuqusq.jpg

DSCN0553_zps6453hhjk.jpg

And that's that, it took a little while but I'm pretty pleased with the overall result. Now to actually get it on the table...

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    tvR70ic.jpg

Never listening to @Echo again. This is a pain in the hoop!

• Options
    Just the base to do but.
    I'd better get some good moolah for dis boi.
    c3z0l3o3sycw.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    If you don't, the only person you have to blame is yourself for selling it to the wrong person for too little money. :P

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Just wanna say @Halos Nach Tariff that's a pretty nice spread of silver tower dudes. The blight kings are my favorites, and the small conversions for the heroes/villians work really well.
    @Kneel did you paint the red plushy collar? DID YOU??? IT'S IMPORTANT!

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    McGibs wrote: »
    @Kneel did you paint the red plushy collar? DID YOU??? IT'S IMPORTANT!

Rest assured.

It is done.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Stripping paint from a 20 year old plastic Space Marine after it's been sitting in isporopyl alcohol for two hours is significantly easier than after it's been sitting forgotten in Simple Green for a month.

I'm never listening to the internet again.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Stripping paint from a 20 year old plastic Space Marine after it's been sitting in isporopyl alcohol for two hours is significantly easier than after it's been sitting forgotten in Simple Green for a month.

How many layers of paint did it have to cut through? 'Cause that's the only thing that I've seen Simple Green not able to handle well.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »

How many layers of paint did it have to cut through? 'Cause that's the only thing that I've seen Simple Green not able to handle well.

A coat of white primer, multiple levels of colored paint, and finally some more black primer. I mean I got them for free so I can't complain really. I'm gonna be giving them away so I want them to at least be in semi-decent condition when I do so.

Also, I'm gonna go to the store and pick up a spare sponge and try weathering on a Dreadnought tonight, wish me luck.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well what proof was the isporopyl alcohol the 80% one or that 100% one?

Seeing my eldar army after finding it I am well looking to strip all of it and start anew painting it as seeing the youtube segments and the need to replace my paint since it's old and in rough condition {it's nearly 20 years old for most of it as I got one of their paint deals as an Xmas gift}

• Options
    Only 70%. The store near me doesn't carry the 91% stuff unfortunately.

Now I've got like 20 minis sitting in an alcohol bath, they're in an enclosed glass jar so my bathroom doesn't end up smelling like a hobo (and so the alcohol doesn't evaporate). I'm thinking I'll just leave it there overnight and it can be a project for tomorrow if the weather sucks.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Just so you know, Amazon will cheerfully sell you lab grade reagents like three or five nines isopropyl alcohol in handy litre bottles.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Painted up the last of my three chaos dreads for my mayhem pack. This fella's channeling some Sauron evil eye.
    I'll probobly retake some more photos in daytime.
    chaos_helbrute01.jpg

Here's his buddies.
    chaos-cyclops01.jpg
    chaos-cyclops02.jpg
    chaos-dread01.jpg
    chaos-dread02.jpg
    chaos-dread03.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    That's freaking amazing. The colourscheme works really well too!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    How did you do the armour? That colour is really good.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Armour's vallajo airbrush black-grey, then i wash the whole model with a rust pigment to get some reds and browns, then i wash the whole thing with armypainter strongtone, and then pick out some highlights with a lighter grey and add back in shadows/divits with nuln oil.

I also tried out that glazing technique for the horns that was posted a few pages back with the blight kings. Think they turned out alright.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Finally got around to priming most of my Zombicide: Black Plague zombies, tested a couple colors of layered drybrush to be able to quickly paint however stupid many of these things I have.
    First tried brown, green, and gray to see which turned out the best.
    b9gysdw0v7a6.jpg

Then I figured I'd save myself a step and go with gray since they're primed with Vallejo German Panzer Grey (which I thought looked best of the three anyway).
    m1yt6geac93q.jpg

I plan on doing more with the Necromancer and Abominations (at least some blood, maybe details). Also, I really should just pick up a big bottle of VSP black and maybe regular grey.
    Also I'm still having an issue with my airbrush spraying a bit of paint when I just press down for air (it's a cheap Master airbrush). Is there an adjustment I'm missing to fully close the needle, or is there a way I should go about giving it a deep clean?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    And done.

2gx6j6uucj02.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    You even managed to make his face look not dumb! Great work all in all. Looks a tad messier than your latest though, or is it just a matter of the photo? But then again it might just be that the model has a shitload of details.
    I'm really wondering what to do with my Guilliman model - paint him as is or convert him to the Emperor?

Also my Watch Master won a painting contest! Won a Kromlech voucher and this beauty: http://karolrudykart.com/index.php?id=offer&idd=64&kat=19#odnosnik
    Now I feel REALLY motivated me to keep improving. ;)

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    That primarch looks so much better than what GW used for their guilliman promo picture. Even the lighting and posing is better. There would have been a whole lot less initial complains if they hadn't done their shots from an awful angle and painted to look like a Picasso face.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    Looks a tad messier than your latest though, or is it just a matter of the photo?

It looks grainier in the image than it looks in person, and I can't fathom if it's down to the camera or the light. I'm also of the opinion that it looks comparatively messy. It's a very busy model and it's difficult to get every component cleanly defined - it was beginning to feel like a chore near the end, and I wonder if I was just trying to be done with it, on some level. Eh.

It won't be sat on my shelf, so I'm not going to waste to much thought on it. I'll save that for the next model that I intend to keep - that might be a while away, though. I'm still waiting on my buddy to send his Khorgaraths and in the meantime I'm going to paint up this Chaos Warhound for eBay. Should be a good £6-700 (it retails on FW for £350 including both arms).

3EnCIQg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.