As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] vs the unending tide of grey plastic

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    That primarch looks so much better than what GW used for their guilliman promo picture. Even the lighting and posing is better. There would have been a whole lot less initial complains if they hadn't done their shots from an awful angle and painted to look like a Picasso face.

Is he the same size as the forgeworld one?
    I am tempted to get his kit but I would leave the helmet on because I find it silly a lot of marines go helmetless

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Badablack wrote: »
    That primarch looks so much better than what GW used for their guilliman promo picture. Even the lighting and posing is better. There would have been a whole lot less initial complains if they hadn't done their shots from an awful angle and painted to look like a Picasso face.

I am tempted to get his kit but I would leave the helmet on because I find it silly a lot of marines go helmetless

Robot Guilleman is bigger by a bit. Mostly because of the armour. The heads seem to be about the same size though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Mayday wrote: »
    Well, there's a lot of fixing ahead of me to really pull it up to 100%, so here it is for now:

oQ8aNCh.jpg

Can you please give some insight on how you painted the black armour? Like, is that pure black or a mixture? What colours did you use for the highlights?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    -Black undercoat
    -a mix of black, grey and a little bit of blue airbrushed from the top
    -then gradually brighter glazes of the above mix
    -pure black into crevices and corners

Sorry but I always improvise the proportions so I can offer no exact help. I tend to make the midtones the most blue, while the shadows are black and the highlights greyer.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    The more I think about it the clearer it becomes: I will have to invest in an airbrush.
    Probably not before next year, though.

• Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

New Guilliman is a good deal bigger but the heads are about the same. And yeah big armored guys with bare heads always looks silly and misproportioned. With the helmet on you can handwave the proportions but on Terminators and big robo-things the head showing just puts the problem of how exactly they're stretched and contorted into their armor right in your face.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Serious question: How much of a learning curve to the airbrush is there, compared to brush painting?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    So far I've only used my airbrush for priming and it's pretty simple. Put primer in cup, press and pull trigger to spray. It's a small learning curve going from rattle cans to airbrush overall, the most fiddly stuff is getting all your adapters and connectors right to go from air to brush (I imagine with a purpose-built compressor it's easier).

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I only ever use my brush for doing a base colour, and maaaaybe for some light zenith highlighting (which is just spraying from one direction). Most complex part is just cleaning the damn thing.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Serious question: How much of a learning curve to the airbrush is there, compared to brush painting?

It's much the same, just that most kids aren't handed a brush in art class in school to get them started at an early age. You can just use it for for basic, broad work like basecoating pretty easily, but as you learn more about technique and develop skills, you can do more and more.

• Options
    KneelKneel Ten thick coats Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The brunt of the stumbling blocks when it comes to airbrushing are

A) getting a feel for the required paint consistency vs pressure, and

B) understanding the likely reason for flow problems - ie, odd spray pattern, bubbles in the cup, dried paint around/on the needle tip, loose seal, and so forth.

Once you get used to how it operates on a technical level, it becomes much less stressful to handle.

Kneel on
    Want to see more of Kneel's slapdash slatherings?
    Visit him at Monstrous Pigments' Instagram and Facebook pages!
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    AsherAsher Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Pretty high. It honestly took me more than a year of off and on mucking about to get to the point where I was getting the kind of results I could get with a normal brush with an Airbrush and then longer still for it to actually be a time saving venture that let me do the neat effects I wanted. But that was pretty sporadic attempts to learn. The main issue is that cleaning and maintenance takes a significant amount of time and its a completely new skill you have to learn with very little overlap with conventional painting. It really helps if you have a person to teach you. For a long time I thought it wasn't really worth it, but now it totally is. I mean these are only for terrain, but they took me less than an hour to paint both from bare wood to finished.

20170125_122713.jpg~original

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • Options
    Robbie sold for £78.

I thought I was being optimistic but... well.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Wait, so are you happy with that price? :P

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Very, given that I wasn't 100% happy with the paint job and found it to be a very fiddly model to paint in general.

EDIT also the box was only around £50 and there are two other minis to paint and shift.

Kneel on
    3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Alright! I guess it's now safe to say that it's the price I'd have hoped for :P

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Yeah, back when I haunted GW stores, a custom high end centerpiece model hero was usually $150-200.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Haphazard wrote: »
    The more I think about it the clearer it becomes: I will have to invest in an airbrush.
    Probably not before next year, though.

Just ask in the thread, we'll throw recommendations at you.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    I would have figured it'd be a bit higher than that also. That's a gorgeous piece.

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    It more than covers the cost of the box set, and depends on how Kneel feels about the time invested.

• Options
    The most expensive successful sale of a painted Robbie on eBay was £82 according to the selling tools, so given that it's a £30 model tops, I'm happy with that profit.

As stated, the box was somewhere in the region of £50 and there's still another two models to sell. Assuming at least £30 per model (and I'd hope for more), that'd be an almost £100 profit on a £50 box.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    So I found this p3 tutorial very helpful. He overemotes but he's very clear and methodical.

https://youtu.be/utAuXVMDDDM

The second one with inks is what I'm going to try with my next model. I picked up red ink and a GW yellow "shade"; are shades usable in this context? Couldn't find any yellow ink. Gonna take another shot at hellish red-orange glow effects.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    If it's Casandora Yellow then that's the magic sauce I use for yellow armor.

kb6Bsdz.jpg

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    At some point in this chain of threads someone mentioned that the secret to painting white was actually using the color Payne's Grey and then layering/highlighting with other grays and whites.

I'm about to start on a (long delayed) Infinity army in a kind of white/greys/some-accent-color scheme and was wondering if anyone cared to agree or disagree with the Payne's Grey plan or in general had some tips and tricks on painting white?

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    The very same! That looks great, nice and bright. Does it have a good intensity/glossiness?

The video does a bright sickly green by doing a white wash in the glowing areas, followed by mixing tons of yellow ink with a little green to make an ink glaze and glazing that area a couple of times, and then highlighting the source with some more white and doing a yellow ink glaze over that and the transition. It looks really good, though somewhat challenging.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    The stripping is going along well, most of the models ended up looking roughly like this:

lHFH22M.jpg

They'll be in decent shape for the next guy, but I'm actually thinking about keeping a few of them (enough to make a single Tactical Squad), painting them up in obnoxiously bright colors (complete with solid goblin green bases), and using them as a throwback killteam (including a mk1 Rhino/Razorback).

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    You guys and your Girlymans. I still haven't touched my Alexis Pollux model.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    At some point in this chain of threads someone mentioned that the secret to painting white was actually using the color Payne's Grey and then layering/highlighting with other grays and whites.

I'm about to start on a (long delayed) Infinity army in a kind of white/greys/some-accent-color scheme and was wondering if anyone cared to agree or disagree with the Payne's Grey plan or in general had some tips and tricks on painting white?

I've been following this guide.

J on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »

The key to painting white (and black) is to realize that you never see pure white -- you see white colored by the light reflecting off of it. The quick and dirty way to skip through all the color theory stuff is to decide if you want a "cool" white or a "warm" white; a cool white will be painted with greys and maybe even some blues, whereas a warm white will be painted with cream and bone colors.

This is a pretty good explanation of the idea, though the painting guides themselves are... not great.

• Options
    PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    any tips for painting sparkly fur? i'm thinking some kind of dark metallic undercoat with some washes or dry brushing on top

pmdunk.jpg
  • Options
    In between building a Chaos Warhound and awaiting Khorne bits from a friend for comission, I made a startling amount of progress on this gentleman.
    s6al7cb34ec0.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I want to believe that Cypher strapped the actual skeleton of a Watcher to the front of his armour.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    How to paint minis in 5 easy steps:
    1. Pick up paint brush with intention to work through backlog
    2. Load up PA painting thread
    3. See @Kneel posting some new amazing shit every day
    4. Put down paintbrush
    5. Sob quietly to self on the sofa

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Optional step 6: Pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream

• Options
    WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I want to believe that Cypher strapped the actual skeleton of a Watcher to the front of his armour.

Whoa! Hey, easy there! Not a fan...

• Options
    I should be done today.

Jesus, I think that's the fastest I've painted a mini, given my home situation.

ja2heklzryvq.jpg

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    You do anything outside of 40k? Reckon you'd paint up some mean ass jacks n stuff. or a TAG :)

• Options
    J wrote: »
    You do anything outside of 40k? Reckon you'd paint up some mean ass jacks n stuff. or a TAG :)

Just Kiki from RH, but I've got a few Black Sun miniatures for when I'm done painting stuff to flog and fund Christmas.

3EnCIQg.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I too would _love_ to see @Kneel paint some Infinity. Someone with money should commission him. ;P

• Options
    I've got the Joan of Ark figurine from Infinity kicking around somewhere; it came with Giraldez' first book.

Maybe, once I'm comfortable with funds, I'll give it a shot.

3EnCIQg.jpg
This discussion has been closed.