As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Final Fantasy] V Four Job Fiesta starts Monday! Play for charity! Play for fun!

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2017
    13-2(lol) was interesting. Damn short, but interesting. Should've been easy to have that in the game proper...

Finished it in about 40 minutes. If that.
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    A bit off topic, but Zelda didn't reinvent anything. All it did was add a super annoying weapon breaking system and a clunky cooking interface with no recipe list and no quick craft or multi craft.

Yes, it's pretty, but it isn't a game changer. It's just a pretty game with some super annoying design decisions.

On the topic of XV - Are there supposed to be more chapter 13 improvements in the future? Weren't they supposed to patch in some story explanation for
    Ravus and the Emperor?
    13-2 does add more on that. VERY VERY little, but more than we got. It says how Revus got corrupted and shows the Emperor going nuts.

Personally, I want more backstory on Luna and Iris and I'm good.

Mostly Iris. In fact, Episode Iris.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Episode Gladio is kind of garbage. That was really disappointing.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I'll probably get all three at once down the line, I'm invested enough to see what happens.

Especially Ignis'.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    Been playing the hell out of FF13-3 Lightning Returns. Surprisingly good game.

Been thinking about moving on to maybe FF Type Zero HD, is it similar in gameplay / any good? How about FF15? (Still waiting on the PC port of that.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    KiTA wrote: »

Been thinking about moving on to maybe FF Type Zero HD, is it similar in gameplay / any good? How about FF15? (Still waiting on the PC port of that.)

Type Zero is not at all similar to 13-3, except for the very basic commonality of both of them being real-time action-based (though the details of the combat system are VERY different). I...didn't really like Type Zero much, honestly. The environments were pretty dull, the camera issues made combat a mess, and the story wasn't good enough for me to power through in spite of the first two flaws.

FF15 is a more complicated answer. In terms of combat, it's closer to a Kingdom Hearts game than any other FF. For me, the first half where it's largely open world is where the game is strongest; but when it focuses on the extremely underdeveloped main plotline (like the back half does) it's at its weakest. For me, it occupies the same complicated space as FFX-2 does, where it's an idea I really like marred by a lot of execution problems. And also like X-2, I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but I'm glad I experienced it.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Rad!

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

Type Zero is not at all similar to 13-3, except for the very basic commonality of both of them being real-time action-based (though the details of the combat system are VERY different). I...didn't really like Type Zero much, honestly. The environments were pretty dull, the camera issues made combat a mess, and the story wasn't good enough for me to power through in spite of the first two flaws.

FF15 is a more complicated answer. In terms of combat, it's closer to a Kingdom Hearts game than any other FF. For me, the first half where it's largely open world is where the game is strongest; but when it focuses on the extremely underdeveloped main plotline (like the back half does) it's at its weakest. For me, it occupies the same complicated space as FFX-2 does, where it's an idea I really like marred by a lot of execution problems. And also like X-2, I'm still not sure if I like it or not, but I'm glad I experienced it.

I thought Type Zero was a lot of fun. The graphics aren't great because it's a PSP game, but the game itself, including the story was a lot of fun for me.

For being a spinoff game, and a lower budget portable game, I found it to be immeasurably more satisfying than FFXV.

And FFXV has its roots in KH, but somewhere along the line they managed to make the combat less fun than a 15 year old PS2 game. KH has better magic, better team combos, and more satisfying combat than XV.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

I thought Type Zero was a lot of fun. The graphics aren't great because it's a PSP game, but the game itself, including the story was a lot of fun for me.

For being a spinoff game, and a lower budget portable game, I found it to be immeasurably more satisfying than FFXV.

And FFXV has its roots in KH, but somewhere along the line they managed to make the combat less fun than a 15 year old PS2 game. KH has better magic, better team combos, and more satisfying combat than XV.

Funny, I've been thinking the opposite. I picked up KH 1.5/2.5 at launch, and combat just feels slow and clunky compared to FFXV.

• Options
    GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular
    They should just make another Tactics game! Grargh!

As long as Matsuno is brought back for it.

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »

At this point I'd settle for a PC release (and maybe remaster) of the original, or a console release of War of the Lions.

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Geddoe wrote: »

I think he's doing mobile games these days.

Before that he lent his name to a Kickstarter that funded, but never delivered a finished game.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    ...who the fuck is Kenny?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    ...who the fuck is Kenny?

The mascot from the diner chain.

• Options
    Wow. I don't remember him looking like that at all. Or really anything about him. Good deep dive on that 4/1, though.

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Wow. I don't remember him looking like that at all. Or really anything about him. Good deep dive on that 4/1, though.

Cy2q2UsUoAAXZeB.jpg
    "Kill me."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    I did that within the first like two hours of my 100-ish hours of playing, but never again. No wonder I forgot.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Matsuno is working on "Return to Ivalice" for FFXIV's upcoming expansion.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I want to play as Kenny more than I want to play Gladiolus.

• Options
    Sirialis wrote: »
    I want to play as Kenny more than I want to play Gladiolus.

We all know who the toughest party member is.

CzS9Jp_UkAAo15B.jpg

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Is there any use for Omega in World of Final Fantasy? The Meltdown ability seems like a total deal breaker.

• Options
    Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    UNF: http://www.rpgsite.net/news/5513-final-fantasy-xii-the-zodiac-age-screenshots

Looks like my wish has come true, and FFXII:TZA will offer the ability to pick two jobs per character now!

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2017
    How does that work? Each job has its own license board. Do you get both boards?

edit: yep, you get both boards. And having 2 jobs per character lets you cover all jobs between the 6 playable characters. You don't switch between jobs I guess, you just have both sets of capabilities.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Ugh i need that game on pc so bad

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    2 jobs per, eh? Should make for some interesting combos. Was that a thing even in IZJS on the PS2?

• Options
    Enlong wrote: »
    2 jobs per, eh? Should make for some interesting combos. Was that a thing even in IZJS on the PS2?

No, this is new.

And from what I can tell, you don't choose both jobs at the start. You choose one to start, then later you unlock the ability to choose a second job.

So the second job might be optional, if that's how you want to play. It may or may not be balanced to allow that.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmm...I want to buy this but I already played IZJ last year. And the thing is, it's still FF12. And I already played about 300 hours of FF12. I really really wish they would release it on the Switch tho. I'd kill for portable FF12.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    They took my car and thought surely I'll be immersed in this open world now.

Nah, 7 day chocobo license gets me directly to each main story mission.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    I am so damn hyped for FF12. I loved the game in its original release, and now I feel like I'm getting the proper version of a game I already enjoyed, fixing all the things I had problems with.

- Don't have to wait to get the gambits I want.
    - Jobs instead of one big license thing
    - Audio doesn't sound like characters are talking into an aluminum can

And that's not even mentioning the QoL improvements I wouldn't have asked for that make it even better like the fast forward and what not.

The release date is pretty perfect too, because by the time it comes out I'll probably just have had time to finish Nier: Automata, Horizon, and Persona 5.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Most important of all fixes: Vaan's abs

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    Oh XII, how I love the look of you, but hate the story inside.

Still, I'm super excited to revisit the game and actually have proper gambits from the start. Should pre-order it soon on Amazon because prime is $10 off.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    5adc4bhlrcil.jpg

There are the job names we're getting. I don't know if anything has changed much from IZJS.

Other stuff from a recent livestream.

Party members can take whatever job you want to give them, including overlapping jobs. That wasn't possible in IZJS.

I confirmed that there are Up/Down and Left/Right camera options.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I dislike that Red/Time magic users are called "Battlemages" but Black/White are just called "Mages."

/grumpy

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Are red mages more involved in combat?

The FFXI red mages used swords and were visually represented as swashbucklers in their aesthetic. And the new FFXIV red mages are going to be a physical/magical hybrid.

Having never played the Zodiac job system, I have no clue what FFXII red mages are like. But if they are classified as battlemages, maybe they're a bit more melee oriented?

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Red mages have historically been hybrids. Even as far back as final fantasy 3 when they were introduced they were the only mage class that could use a variety of swords.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular

The FFXI red mages used swords and were visually represented as swashbucklers in their aesthetic. And the new FFXIV red mages are going to be a physical/magical hybrid.

Having never played the Zodiac job system, I have no clue what FFXII red mages are like. But if they are classified as battlemages, maybe they're a bit more melee oriented?
    LD50 wrote: »
    Red mages have historically been hybrids. Even as far back as final fantasy 3 when they were introduced they were the only mage class that could use a variety of swords.

Sure, sure, but Time Mages? They've never been hybrid physical attackers.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    They were in FF1, actually.

• Options
    TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    I dislike that Red/Time magic users are called "Battlemages" but Black/White are just called "Mages."

/grumpy

They're distinct in the Japanese as well, just not in the fan translation. The Time Battlemage uses crossbows and heavy armour, so it's considered different from the classic Time Mage that's a pure caster.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Sure, sure, but Time Mages? They've never been hybrid physical attackers.

Yeah, usually the opposite. Kinda gangly little things that aren't particularly good at anything, given how many things are immune to time magics in Final Fantasy games, until they finally learn meteor and then they're OP until their MP runs out.

This discussion has been closed.