Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    So at work we get these things called team blue hours. You get one per month, and you can use it to volunteer for things. If you volunteer during work hours, you can use the team blue hours and still get paid as if you had used PTO. So, long story short, this Thursday I will be helping out at a robotics convention downtown.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My new office includes a golden shovel leaning in the corner and a paintball gun in a cardboard box under my desk with a large post-it saying "Do Not Touch."

This new position...may come with more monster hunting responsibilities than were mentioned in the original job description.

It said Librarian didn't it? I've seen Buffy, surely they went over this in Librarian school?

Well, yeah, they taught me how to write MARC records too, but who actually uses that crap in their day-to-day? Looks like I'll need to go dust of my old Blood-Seeking Behavior in the Knowledge Society textbook.

I'm glad I couldn't sell that book back to the bookstore after the semester. It has come in use multiple times since then.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    My last several days at work would be easier if my users actually used the data entry application i built to for them more than once every few months and also didn't suck at data entry.

Ultimately, most issues devolve to PEBCAK.

I found 5 instances of them entering the same name and information for different NPIs. Judging by the IDs they were all done around the same time. Somebody was fucking up for like a half hour straight and didn't notice.
    Edit: actually, the IDs are early enough and don't have timestamps on them so they were actually probably fruition the initial import.
    Which means someone fucked up the source spreadsheet and not the hand entry.

Which is slightly more reassuring, since i put in all sorts of checks, like autopopulating some fields with info from the CMS master NPI list.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I basically just went to my principal today and told him how I was doing summer school with my library until construction forces it closed. He was like, "Okay make sure you get your time sheets in."

I feel like that was a minor victory.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm thinking of going home now, because flask publish/subscribe models are giving me a headache.
    OTOH the weather is bad so I didn't cycle, and don't want to walk, and the buses are utter shite until at least 7pm

... this is why I end up working till 8pm every night. Because commuting sucks.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yeah, we are allowed to to four volunteer days

So last Tuesday night my daughter came down with a fever. She's not allowed at daycare if she's had a fever within the previous 24 hours. So I called out from work for Wednesday. That grew into Friday. Saturday, her fever got worse. Sunday, she was diagnosed with tonsillitis at urgent care. Sunday night (midnight) we ended up at the ER because she was being lethargic, and shivering all over.

After 5 hours at the ER, we left with a double ear infection and tonsillitis. So I called out of work for Monday and Tuesday. She needs at least two full days with the antibiotics before she should go anywhere.

So far we're about 24 hours clear of having no fever, Just need to make it through today with no vomit. If she can do that, she might be able to go back to daycare by Thursday.

But that brings me to work. If the earliest I go back is Thursday, that is only one day of me working, since I don't work on Fridays. It's it even worth it?

I knew that there is going to be a ton of work to do. I know that I'm going to look at my workload and just sit and cry.

Our team is down by three people on a good day, but we've got one person who left that needs to be replaced, one person on holiday, and one going out for surgery soon.

But at the same time, making sure my daughter is healthy is far more important. But the guilt is strong.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Just had a 70+ gentleman chasing after a punk who stole his bike in front of the store. Kudos to the lady who cut off the bastard with her van, causing him to crash and ditch the bike. She got a free coffee for that.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    My last several days at work would be easier if my users actually used the data entry application i built to for them more than once every few months and also didn't suck at data entry.

Had a co-worker who regularly used PICNIC (Problem in chair, not in computer)

and would tell people who were particularly annoying "you're welcome! You've been a real picnic" at the end of a call

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Well, it's the warmest day so far this year, so it's either going to stay dead like this until the sun gets a little lower in the sky, or we'll get overrun with customers all at once in about 20 minutes.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

and would tell people who were particularly annoying "you're welcome! You've been a real picnic" at the end of a call

Previous gotos on this front include an ID10T error and problems at Layer 8.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Falx wrote: »
    Madican wrote: »
    The real pain is to the wallet.

Seriously.

That being said my dentist was feeling chatty one day and ranted at length at how much he has to pay for his materials.

Lets just say that the real money is in selling shit to dentists. I could not believe how much he pays per gram for the stuff used to fill cavities.

99.99% pure gold is currently USD$1262/oz.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

Previous gotos on this front include an ID10T error and problems at Layer 8.

all good examples of why everyone hates IT.

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    Made a call and left a message with the laser place today. At this point if they still don't get back to me then I guess that's it, then.

Been feeling fairly depressed the last week or so - job hunt is definitely getting to me, I can't seem to find other work opportunities to even apply to, and I'm having a difficult time even finding the energy to believe I might find a workplace in this field that isn't at least a little hostile. Just... extraordinarily exhausted, feels like my passion for the field and confidence as an engineer used to be a wildfire and has burned down to a couple embers at best. No idea where to go from here. It sucks.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Work dropped an arbitration agreement on me

Opt out y/n?

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Depends on what's in it.

• Options
    Uhh no class, representative, or collective action. That's all I can really see.

This part I admittedly don't understand.
    zm8jbbkd1qsc.jpg

The post employment defamation part makes me go wait what

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Last week I had a sixth grader badger me about physics.
    Student: Do you know about Hawking radiation?
    Me: I know of radiation.
    Student: But not Hawking radiation???
    Me: No.
    Student: But you've subbed for the science classes?
    Me: I have and will do so again.
    Student: How can you sub for science if you don't know it.
    Me: What?
    Student: Its like you're a liar.
    Me: GO SIT DOWN RIGHT NOW.

This all came out of a discussion in which he was trying to convince me that it would be safe to create miniature black holes here on Earth and I was expressing some doubts into his theories.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Yo but seriously

You dont know what hawking radiation is??????

• Options
    Wait. What is this arbitration agreement for? A new contract? Are they buying you out instead of laying you off? Are you in some dispute with the company?

Anything that says no collective bargaining gets a huge no from me. And you can't talk bad about them after you leave? Sounds a bit suspicious.

• Options
    Wait. What is this arbitration agreement for? A new contract? Are they buying you out instead of laying you off? Are you in some dispute with the company?

Anything that says no collective bargaining gets a huge no from me. And you can't talk bad about them after you leave? Sounds a bit suspicious.

Nope this just showed up outta nowhere for everyone to sign. I got a hold of everyone I could to say hey I don't fully understand this but you don't HAVE to sign. We have thirty days from receiving the agreement to call a number to opt out.

I'm inclined to do so since the reasons I could see to need to take legal action involve being ordered to do something that results in CBP violations and other federal shenanigans.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Docshifty wrote: »

Nope this just showed up outta nowhere for everyone to sign. I got a hold of everyone I could to say hey I don't fully understand this but you don't HAVE to sign. We have thirty days from receiving the agreement to call a number to opt out.

I'm inclined to do so since the reasons I could see to need to take legal action involve being ordered to do something that results in CBP violations and other federal shenanigans.

Implicit contracts be suspicious as fuuuck.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Yo but seriously

You dont know what hawking radiation is??????

Isn't that the radiation given off by a Hawking Hole?

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    The last three months have been a whirlwind, but the I'll tell you about the last month with specific detail about a specific person: my kitchen manager (KM).

Without naming names or giving specifics about my location, my KM got his ass transferred as of tomorrow, so his last shift was tonight.

Over the last month, he has been involved in approximately six altercations with various employees; I witnessed three of them, heard about two and then was myself the target on this last Friday night ... the first night of Taste Addison as well as the first night of Ramadan and it was a really busy night to say the least.

About a month or so ago, I was present for an argument with the young man working the pizza station approximately five minutes before a 70 person pizza party was about to kick off. He 'fired' him on the spot and then the young cook was 'hired' back less than four days later.

Two weeks ago, I was there when he started trash talking a server and gaslighting him about a mistake that he himself made and proceeded to play Tough Guy with an Army Vet who has handled some serious shit during two tours and could easily take the KM apart limb from limb; said veteran also has a supreme case of depression since he's the last man standing of his entire twelve man squad. Not a good call.

Yesterday, I witnessed him sniping and picking at a young lady who works our take-out station, a very sweet and mild mannered girl who just kept asking him to leave her alone; he kept at it for about ten minutes, I assume to amuse himself at her expense. Yet another bad call.

Friday night was my special night since I basically vented my frustration that servers were taking food from the window that wasn't theirs and causing the cooks to re-fire several orders; the fault was entirely on the KM since he was supposed to be in total control of the expo line and he was actually fucking off on his phone or flirting with several of the newly hired, barely legal servers and hostesses. I didn't bring that up when I was pulled into the office, but I was doing my level best not to haul off and deck him while he was taking his turn gaslighting me in front of two other managers and one random employee who should have been asked to leave the office. Then I heard this come out of his pompous little mouth:

"How did you even make it in the military if you can't respect a superior?"

I froze, closed my eyes, clenched every muscle and the room went silent enough to hear every last one of my knuckles pop.

"If you want me to be the kind of person I was in the Marine Corps, I will, but I promise you: you will not like that person. I'm not trying to be that guy anymore, he was a maniac on the good days and the bad days turned him into a real fucking bastard."

"Look, I ...."

"I wasn't finished speaking and don't you ever dare to interrupt me again. You will speak to me as an employee and I will speak to you as a manager, that's it. Work only, no more jokes, no more fun, no more humor, no more bullshit. This conversation is over, I have been counseled, it won't happen again, I need to get back to doing my actual job. Please excuse me."

I was just one wrong comment away from anyone to yanking my apron off and walking out the door, but I guess the message was received since he had only spoken to me directly once in the last few days and that was tonight.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

It's like that saying where if you run into an asshole in the morning, you met an asshole, but if you meet assholes all day, maybe you're the asshole.

Kinda like that, except replace 'asshole' with 'incompetent worker.'

Or maybe 'incompetent asshole.'

It's a coin toss, really.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Kid was correct. Micro black holes shrink really fast because they lose energy in the form of Hawking Radiation.

This is why the only black holes you see are from collapsing or colliding stars, never small ones from any number of high energy freak cosmic accidents.

It should be noted that it is theoretical, not directly observed.
    But the theory is elegant and widely supported.
    It also makes Black Holes not permanently destroy information / lower entropy, which is Not Allowed.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    yeah I have told people often I am not who I was in the Corps
    I don't want to be that person again

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    A black hole does slowly, very very slowly, even by astronomical timelines, lose mass via hawking radiation. Basically once a black hole is no longer taking in enough matter to keep murdering physics, it starts to evaporate. But we're talking heat death timescales. A micro black hole would supposedly, if created artificially, while being dense as fuck, not have mass to start ripping things to shreds and just evaporate in a tiny poof.

• Options
    Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

Yeah, I don't try to explain to people that me being a jovial, friendly soul is my way of paying for my sins.

• Options
    I know my dry macabre sense of humor is left over from that

But really to be who I was knowing who I am now feels so alien

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

I lost my cool for about two seconds today when an avalanche of shit that none of the rest of the leadership team could/would deal with rolled in while I was trying to leave for a break after dealing with a massive two hour rush of customers, and just the tonal change in my voice, I noticed people backing off.

• Options
    Lighter note, I've accidentally scared the shit out of three coworkers on my current stretch because they turn around bam there I am. Wasn't trying to, I just walk up to them because I need to tell them something or whatnot. They always ask how I'm so quiet. I just tell them "Army. Gotta be quiet on patrol."

I've got a giant ass keyring dangling off my belt and I just sort of by habit learned to walk in a way that doesn't make it jangle.

• Options
    Yeah I have slipped into who I was a few times when they were blaming me for other people's problems at work last summer as they had several people in the room and they were running for the door when I lost my cool and yelled at my manager why they could not haul in blank their golden child for that problem?
    I did not even notice how easy it was to slip back into who I once was

• Options
    edited May 2017
    The early shift opening supervisor, who thankfully handles most of the paperwork our team is responsible for(because I hate paperwork), drew a shift today that had her working later into the evening than normal, and when we got rushed she could absolutely not fucking deal. It's simple. You call your backup checkers from other departments, if they can come they come, if not, you just keep going. Yeah, the metrics are gonna tank. There's no magic technique to clear a store of hundreds of customers that all come in at once. I'm lead and got a call from the liquor department that required me to be there and the story I got is that she started freaking out and yelling at people because I wasn't there.

edit because I hit submit too early: And after things slowed down, internally I'm like this is what I deal with every night that I close and why I don't really care when you complain about one grumpy old customer or your break being pushed back when I come in. Your shift is easytown.

Weaver on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    A black hole does slowly, very very slowly, even by astronomical timelines, lose mass via hawking radiation. Basically once a black hole is no longer taking in enough matter to keep murdering physics, it starts to evaporate. But we're talking heat death timescales. A micro black hole would supposedly, if created artificially, while being dense as fuck, not have mass to start ripping things to shreds and just evaporate in a tiny poof.

Yes, if the universe exists for long enough then one day only black holes will remain. And eventually, they too will bleed away due to Hawking radiation.

Then there will be nothing but the Cold. And the Darkness. Forever.

I'm having a good day at work, peeps keep popping round my desk complimenting me on my latest piece of work.

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i am actively dreading working 40 of the next 72 hours sat in a fucking cubicle being badgered by self righteous idiots who think that it is somehow MY PERSONAL fault that they have a high phone bill

8 am until 9pm, sat dreading the beep and the whisper informing me 'excessive repeat caller. problem customer. recurring complaint' then an agitated fuming person immediately shouting about an issue the last 5 agents have failed to resolve and passed the buck until it lands on my doorstep (half my big cases are fixing another agent's incompetence and it is HUGELY stressful having to repeatedly apologize for somebody elses mistakes)

i sit next to a woman who has spent the whole of april off sick so she is a month~ or so behind everyone else performance wise (we started our actual jobs after a month of training on the 20th march)

she is an overweight, loud middle aged lady who lives by herself and owns a parrot, and our line manager repeatedly calls her out on low performance figures - excessive call work, taking too long on calls, low product presentation rates etc. which she argues that she literally wasn't here for an entire month and that is not being taken into account etc. anyway i hear this shit every day from excanges between them both and it puts me on edge

she gives me a lift home from work most nights and repeatedly texts me, often flirtatiously (i never respond) so yeah

i just want to leave, this job is super depressing and will never go anywhere apart from 'mook in a call centre'

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Potentially awkward situation I don't want to have to deal with.

I'm off next week and have a hire car and have arranged for one of my colleagues to take a day off so we can drive 2 hours to the cinema. I am really looking forward to it because I get on with this guy really well, we never have the chance to hang out socially, and he's leaving in 3 weeks and I have no idea when we'll meet again.

We have another colleague who, while I don't dislike him, has recently been doing my head in. He is a major attention seeker who dominates every social situation and has a talent for turning every conversation around to be about himself. And today this guy found out he needs to go do some bureaucratic nonsense in the city we are going to, and I'm pretty sure he's going to ask to come with us because it's just so convenient (he doesn't have a car).

I really don't want him there, it will fuck up our mate date and first colleague really doesn't like this guy any more and uggggh, I'm trying to think of how to deal with it if he asks without sounding like a massive arsehole.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Potentially awkward situation I don't want to have to deal with.

I'm off next week and have a hire car and have arranged for one of my colleagues to take a day off so we can drive 2 hours to the cinema. I am really looking forward to it because I get on with this guy really well, we never have the chance to hang out socially, and he's leaving in 3 weeks and I have no idea when we'll meet again.

We have another colleague who, while I don't dislike him, has recently been doing my head in. He is a major attention seeker who dominates every social situation and has a talent for turning every conversation around to be about himself. And today this guy found out he needs to go do some bureaucratic nonsense in the city we are going to, and I'm pretty sure he's going to ask to come with us because it's just so convenient (he doesn't have a car).

I really don't want him there, it will fuck up our mate date and first colleague really doesn't like this guy any more and uggggh, I'm trying to think of how to deal with it if he asks without sounding like a massive arsehole.

Tear the back seat out of the car. "Sorry, it's a two-seater"

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Drop him off and tell him you'll see him back at that spot in several hours and you guys have plans.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    "Can't you see we're trying to bang and you're fucking everything up"

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Too early. Only had two sips of coffee.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Alternatively just straight up tell him it's a private outing and he can find alternate transport. Will it upset him? Probably yeah, but people gotta deal.

This discussion has been closed.