Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I know that's what I should do. But it's not like I just work with him, I also live with him. I see him all day every day. It's not so easy to shrug off upsetting him.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    have you considered murder?

I mean I don't think you'd have too hard of a time disposing of the body with lions (and hyenas?) around

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I was also thinking lions

Could you change your plans around a bit; go somewhere else that isn't where this guy needs to go? Then it wouldn't even be an issue. I don't know how realistic that is though, I know you are kinda in an isolated location.

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Hmm, yes, opening shift today.

Hmm, yes, no one else is fucking here.

Hmm...

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    My new office includes a golden shovel leaning in the corner and a paintball gun in a cardboard box under my desk with a large post-it saying "Do Not Touch."

This new position...may come with more monster hunting responsibilities than were mentioned in the original job description.

It said Librarian didn't it? I've seen Buffy, surely they went over this in Librarian school?

Well, yeah, they taught me how to write MARC records too, but who actually uses that crap in their day-to-day? Looks like I'll need to go dust of my old Blood-Seeking Behavior in the Knowledge Society textbook.

I'm glad I couldn't sell that book back to the bookstore after the semester. It has come in use multiple times since then.

Yet another class that I couldn't get into because of overbooking. :(

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Took the day off to get medical forms filled out for this damn federal job. My only consolation is that I'm getting closer and closer

Also I get paid in two days so, you know, that's always nice.

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Docshifty wrote: »
    Wait. What is this arbitration agreement for? A new contract? Are they buying you out instead of laying you off? Are you in some dispute with the company?

Anything that says no collective bargaining gets a huge no from me. And you can't talk bad about them after you leave? Sounds a bit suspicious.

Nope this just showed up outta nowhere for everyone to sign. I got a hold of everyone I could to say hey I don't fully understand this but you don't HAVE to sign. We have thirty days from receiving the agreement to call a number to opt out.

I'm inclined to do so since the reasons I could see to need to take legal action involve being ordered to do something that results in CBP violations and other federal shenanigans.

@Docshifty call that fucking number right now and opt out, and tell anyone you care about at work to do the same

they are doing this explicitly to fuck you over

there is literally no explanation for this behavior other than, "we plan to, or are worried that one of our managers will, break the law. When that happens, we want to ensure that you don't go blabbing to any courts about it."

Your arbitration agreement almost certainly sets the venue for the arbitration across the country, (to make it harder for you to go to the hearing) in a jurisdiction friendly to corporate malfeasance, (Delaware usually) and prevents you from accessing all your normal remedies should they (probably inevitably) fuck you over.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Uhh no class, representative, or collective action. That's all I can really see.

This part I admittedly don't understand.
    zm8jbbkd1qsc.jpg

The post employment defamation part makes me go wait what

Post employment defamation involves your employer defaming you, not the other way around. If you leave your current employer and list them as a reference while applying to a new job, the hiring manager you're applying with might call your former employer to check your references. If your former employer says "Oh, yeah, Docshifty. He's the one who stole all our office supplies and set all those small fires. Don't hire that guy," and you don't get the new job because of it, you can sue them for defamation. But only if what they said was both detrimental to your job prospects and false. So if you clearly set all those fires but never stole anything, you can be awarded damages.

That's the reason that most companies have an official policy of only confirming dates of employment in response to reference checks. They have nothing to gain by giving an honest assessment of your performance, and defamation lawsuits are a pain in the ass to fight (even though the employer usually wins) due to all the hard-to-prove aspects of legal defamation.

Except in very specific cases, you can talk all the shit you want about your prior employer and nobody will stop you, especially because defamation is too hard to prove even before whistleblower protections get involved.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Yo but seriously

You dont know what hawking radiation is??????

Isn't that the radiation given off by a Hawking Hole?
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Kid was correct. Micro black holes shrink really fast because they lose energy in the form of Hawking Radiation.

This is why the only black holes you see are from collapsing or colliding stars, never small ones from any number of high energy freak cosmic accidents.

It should be noted that it is theoretical, not directly observed.
    But the theory is elegant and widely supported.
    It also makes Black Holes not permanently destroy information / lower entropy, which is Not Allowed.
    Weaver wrote: »
    A black hole does slowly, very very slowly, even by astronomical timelines, lose mass via hawking radiation. Basically once a black hole is no longer taking in enough matter to keep murdering physics, it starts to evaporate. But we're talking heat death timescales. A micro black hole would supposedly, if created artificially, while being dense as fuck, not have mass to start ripping things to shreds and just evaporate in a tiny poof.

Yes, if the universe exists for long enough then one day only black holes will remain. And eventually, they too will bleed away due to Hawking radiation.

Then there will be nothing but the Cold. And the Darkness. Forever.

I'm having a good day at work, peeps keep popping round my desk complimenting me on my latest piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    have you considered murder?

I mean I don't think you'd have too hard of a time disposing of the body with lions (and hyenas?) around
    Or dress him up like a water pipe.

sig.gif
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    When one of my former employers decided to drop an arbitration agreement on us, it was made very clear that refusal to sign was the same as "here is my resignation"

Not doing that here seems...odd

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Oh! @Brovid Hasselsmof, I just thought of this -- would it work to alter your timeline? Not change days, just leave several hours sooner or later, in a way that make taking your unpleasant employee not feasible?

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    Wait. What is this arbitration agreement for? A new contract? Are they buying you out instead of laying you off? Are you in some dispute with the company?

Anything that says no collective bargaining gets a huge no from me. And you can't talk bad about them after you leave? Sounds a bit suspicious.

Nope this just showed up outta nowhere for everyone to sign. I got a hold of everyone I could to say hey I don't fully understand this but you don't HAVE to sign. We have thirty days from receiving the agreement to call a number to opt out.

I'm inclined to do so since the reasons I could see to need to take legal action involve being ordered to do something that results in CBP violations and other federal shenanigans.

@Docshifty call that fucking number right now and opt out, and tell anyone you care about at work to do the same

they are doing this explicitly to fuck you over

there is literally no explanation for this behavior other than, "we plan to, or are worried that one of our managers will, break the law. When that happens, we want to ensure that you don't go blabbing to any courts about it."

Your arbitration agreement almost certainly sets the venue for the arbitration across the country, (to make it harder for you to go to the hearing) in a jurisdiction friendly to corporate malfeasance, (Delaware usually) and prevents you from accessing all your normal remedies should they (probably inevitably) fuck you over.

Ask yourself if this is the sort of contract a ferengi would have you sign.

Are they a good ferengi or a bad one?

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I can't change the plans because I'm also giving another guy a lift in to an important appointment. It's cool though, if it comes up I'm just going to have to woman up and tell him it's our special day and he's not invited. Which will be no fun but eh.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Aww, I liked the idea of changing the timeline.

Just go back in time and, you know, make sure he's not around to annoy.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Yo but seriously

You dont know what hawking radiation is??????

Isn't that the radiation given off by a Hawking Hole?
    SanderJK wrote: »
    The Kid was correct. Micro black holes shrink really fast because they lose energy in the form of Hawking Radiation.

This is why the only black holes you see are from collapsing or colliding stars, never small ones from any number of high energy freak cosmic accidents.

It should be noted that it is theoretical, not directly observed.
    But the theory is elegant and widely supported.
    It also makes Black Holes not permanently destroy information / lower entropy, which is Not Allowed.
    Weaver wrote: »
    A black hole does slowly, very very slowly, even by astronomical timelines, lose mass via hawking radiation. Basically once a black hole is no longer taking in enough matter to keep murdering physics, it starts to evaporate. But we're talking heat death timescales. A micro black hole would supposedly, if created artificially, while being dense as fuck, not have mass to start ripping things to shreds and just evaporate in a tiny poof.

Yes, if the universe exists for long enough then one day only black holes will remain. And eventually, they too will bleed away due to Hawking radiation.

Then there will be nothing but the Cold. And the Darkness. Forever.

I'm having a good day at work, peeps keep popping round my desk complimenting me on my latest piece of work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Hey, mine was a Futurama reference!

Which I guess is... just a different kind of nerd. Carry on.

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I've learned something about myself. Working 2 days at home in a week and enjoying the uninterrupted time to actually get shit done and listen to music makes me very intolerant of people stopping by my desk with impromptu questions.

I've come far too close today to saying "Oh no, by all means, let me drop everything I'm doing to audit our entire business line to check on a $20 charge for you." I'm certain that my voice and body language are probably giving off that vibe though.

• Options
    Something in the fire suppression system is beeping. Just quiet little beeps coming from various points near the ceiling at unpredictable intervals. It's maddening.

Also, the group of three staff members who I initially asked about it apparently can't hear in that frequency at all, so for a bad moment it felt like I was actually losing my mind. Thanks, library aide who backed me up on it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Something in the fire suppression system is beeping. Just quiet little beeps coming from various points near the ceiling at unpredictable intervals. It's maddening.

Also, the group of three staff members who I initially asked about it apparently can't hear in that frequency at all, so for a bad moment it felt like I was actually losing my mind. Thanks, library aide who backed me up on it.

Similarly, I think our print server is making weird noises, but I don't want to touch it because we need that thing to print.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Work is slow again today but I don't wanna get caught watching cartoons so I'm reading the D&D players handbook instead

Been a slow week so far

edit I wish there was a version laid out in a way that would make it an easy to read reference tool instead of page breaks and drawings putting tables on wholly separate pages from their descriptions

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Finally I will be done with my current job! Worst boss USA. Onto a road trip across the US with my fam. :hydra:

My boss, predictably, is taking the news by screaming and hiding in a meeting room.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Was screen sharing with someone, and had to open Putty.

It was on my desktop right next to putin_s_poodle.jpg.

There was some audible snickering.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Similarly, I think our print server is making weird noises, but I don't want to touch it because we need that thing to print.

According to one of the maintenance guys who was here, there's no faults showing on the fire panel, but there may be some kind of smoke detectors in the air vents that "just chirp."

That can't possibly be correct, can it? Nobody would design a building meant for humans to be inside that just includes dozens of constantly beeping boxes in the ceiling, right?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The front part of the company building where I was initially situated houses both our call centers and has the doorbell hooked up to the PA system in case the receptionist isn't at the front desk. It's maddening and a big reason why I was happy to move to the rear of the building.

The rear of the building is where they've been working on the sewer system for the past couple of weeks.

I've considered looking for a new desk, but I'm worried what else is out there. "Oh, we have a free desk in Aviation. It's nice, you can sit by the window, you hardly notice the roving packs of feral dingos after a while."

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    The front part of the company building where I was initially situated houses both our call centers and has the doorbell hooked up to the PA system in case the receptionist isn't at the front desk. It's maddening and a big reason why I was happy to move to the rear of the building.

The rear of the building is where they've been working on the sewer system for the past couple of weeks.

I've considered looking for a new desk, but I'm worried what else is out there. "Oh, we have a free desk in Aviation. It's nice, you can sit by the window, you hardly notice the roving packs of feral dingos after a while."

Well, do you have or are you a baby? If not, then the dingo issue shouldn't matter.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Just had a 70+ gentleman chasing after a punk who stole his bike in front of the store. Kudos to the lady who cut off the bastard with her van, causing him to crash and ditch the bike. She got a free coffee for that.
    Originally read this as just 70+ gentlemen, and was thouroughly impressed by the sheer concentration of good samaritains in that particular area

Then I imagined Yakety Sax playing to such a scene and had myself a good chuckle.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    Apparently my manager hears nothing but compliments about me, so he told me today that he's convinced I am hiding some huge character flaw or I'm going to snap and kill everyone in the office

To which I laughed a little too hard and slowly turned my chair back to my computer

• Options
    Apparently my manager hears nothing but compliments about me, so he told me today that he's convinced I am hiding some huge character flaw or I'm going to snap and kill everyone in the office

To which I laughed a little too hard and slowly turned my chair back to my computer

You need to keep a small black notebook and when he says anything just narrow your eyes and start madly scribbling in it.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Start saying Keikaku randomly.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Just start murdering people. But like, casually.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    Robo call claiming that we won a free trip just called the emergency phone in the elevator.

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    mcp wrote: »
    Robo call claiming that we won a free trip just called the emergency phone in the elevator.

Amazing

• Options

Our PA system is linked to our phone system. You just pick up the phone, dial an extension, and when you start talking it plays through overhead speakers all through the library.

For a while there, some woefully misprogrammed autodialer was somehow making it through the phone tree to "if you know the extension of the party you are trying to reach" and then trying to send a fax through the PA system.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    When i worked on the help desk about once a month or so we'd get a call from some random person because someone mistyped a pharmacy phone number into the address book so when they tried to fax a prescription at 3AM it would call someone's home phone.

The caller ID always showed the help desk number so they'd get us and be, understandably, pretty upset when we explained we didn't have any access to that system and it would have to wait til morning when the phone guys got in to trace them back.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

What a lucky elevator! Is the trip going up, or going down?

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »

According to one of the maintenance guys who was here, there's no faults showing on the fire panel, but there may be some kind of smoke detectors in the air vents that "just chirp."

That can't possibly be correct, can it? Nobody would design a building meant for humans to be inside that just includes dozens of constantly beeping boxes in the ceiling, right?

Smoke detectors don't "just chirp". If they're chirping, their batteries are dying and need replaced.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    Brainleech wrote: »
    yeah I have told people often I am not who I was in the Corps
    I don't want to be that person again

Yeah, I don't try to explain to people that me being a jovial, friendly soul is my way of paying for my sins.

Damn. Uh, is this the general reason why every former Marine I work with is super nice, friendly, helpful and full of jokes? I always just thought, "Marines are so nice!"

Like my dad is former Air Force and he is kind of a bastard now. I have no idea what he was like in the service, since I wasn't born until after. (Well, I have some idea, actually. Older sibling has shared some info and... well I guess my dad has mellowed out and I'm lucky to have not met the younger version)

Also slight tangent, but one of the kind and gentle former Marines I work with is also former Army and Navy, which is just 'of note' to me because I'd never met anyone who was in three branches of service before. He plays Santa for kids every Christmas, and wears his Santa suit to work in December.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm trying (yet again) to stop biting my nails. I've done it since 5th grade or so, and I'm now 40. As I'm starting to travel for work and get pulled into meetings with more important people, I'd like to look like a well groomed adult, not a twitchy nervous mess with his hands in his mouth all the time.

I think the longest I've gone has been about a month or two tops. I bought a fidget spinner like the cool kids have, hoping that might help give my hands something to do at work instead of wind up in my mouth.

Yesterday (Day One) was easy, I worked from home. Today is day two - I forgot to bring in the spinner and our internet is nearly nonexistent for some reason. It's like a cruel, cruel test.

• Options
    I have a really bad nailbiting habit, that often extends to the skin around my nails too

ugh it's disgusting, and I do need to stop it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Painting your nails is a good way to do it. I dgaf about biting my nails though

This discussion has been closed.