Options

I got my drink, I got my music, but today I'm yelling [Job] don't kill my vibe!

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    korodullin wrote: »
    Thanks to chronic attendance problems stemming from rock bottom moraleas well as the impending loss of personnel when this Samsung plant opens next door, management is now offering double the standard bonus and half a sick day back if you make perfect attendance for the month. If your sick days are maxed out, you get 1.5x the new perfect attendance bonus.

Why not just pay more?

Dude, you're not capitalism-ing right.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Thanks to chronic attendance problems stemming from rock bottom moraleas well as the impending loss of personnel when this Samsung plant opens next door, management is now offering double the standard bonus and half a sick day back if you make perfect attendance for the month. If your sick days are maxed out, you get 1.5x the new perfect attendance bonus.

Why not just pay more?

If you consider employment to be selling your goods/services though then wouldn't letting the market determine how much you're worth and expect to be paid that value be the essence of capitalism?

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

Why not just pay more?

If you consider employment to be selling your goods/services though then wouldn't letting the market determine how much you're worth and expect to be paid that value be the essence of capitalism?

Who told you that? Capitalism is about spending the least possible amount to make the largest profit in the shortest amount of time.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I'm going back to taking tech support calls after years of comfortably being offline, Mass Effect Andromeda won't get DLC or a sequel, and Donald Trump is president. Forget 2016, 2017 is the worst year.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    God i fucking hate self reviews.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    One star. Would not reincarnate.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    It'd be really fucking swell if people would just accept "It's Magic!" for how fax machines work or don't work and stop bothering me because they only got 4 faxes over the past hour and "that's unusual."

Did you get faxes? Congratulations your fax machine is working!

Did you not get faxes? Congratulations it's probably still working but something like a 500 page document from the hospital is tying it up!

(This is the actual reason they only got 4)

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    KHokcvf.png

*glares*

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My last day in this position. I have been training an dealing with idiot techs for the last time. My boss is even actually being nice today.

40 minutes left before I am no longer a level 1 monitor but a level 1 fraud analyst. Whoo me I guess.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh right, now I remember why I hate mentoring undergrads. Teenage bullshit.

• Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
    After today, I'm off till the 5th.

Gonna spend a whole lot of time in the gym, in the pool, and watching Star Trek.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I'm taking all of next week off and I'm working from home today.

Yeah, the "last day of school" feeling is kicking in pretty hard right now.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    A 4-day weekend that I didn't even have to take time off for is great.

I'm half considering taking a day or two extra off when Rachel and the kids are away in September. I, uh, probably wouldn't get anything actually done then, though.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

"To be perfectly honest I'm a bit of a tosser and spent my life watching anime, playing video games, and doing fuck-all in terms of anything productive."

*achieves enlightenment because the real test was acceptance of the self*

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    When I think about describing myself I usually just come back to "lazy asshole".

Not like, an asshole that is lazy, but someone who is an asshole because they're lazy.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Work seems to be even more of a shit show now than before I left. An engineer just got back from out of country (for the job) was suspended apparently. He's a sharp dude and pretty affable, as well as really hard working, so I'm curious as to what went down. Trying hard to not get worked about the place. Just do some zen breathing and remind myself that although it's a sinking garbage barge, it provides me an excellent opportunity to pick up other skills (and study for the PE). Like I got tabview installed on my machine today. Looking forward to fucking around with that. Might see if I can integrate it with iOS development
    Solar wrote: »
    Generally speaking I try to tolerate people in other departments at our place. While they may at times be annoying, they have their own shit to do. They technically are there to allow our department (which actually makes the money) to do our job and support us but they have their own systems and priorities and I get that.

But I curse our IT team today. I curse them to hell and back. Stop asking why this needs to be done. The answer is because your system is too shitty to disinvest specifically monetary amounts, unlike every other similar system out there, but that is not an answer you need and this is time critical. Do my job request fucking now.

i've been asking for developer rights and permission to install all sorts of software and so far no pushback, unless there's money involved. Our IT group can be pretty cool. Granted that software is like, Visual Studio, and various other tools like Anaconda, but it's nice to be able to get those on my computer without having to fully explain how they might be job related.

Our IT department... well

They trouble our IT department has is a very inflexible culture

They are considerably more interested in doing what they think is best for our systems regardless of whether it's actually better for Ops and so on to use

Which has caused problems. The issue really comes from the isolated nature of the departments; the development teams just don't know how we work, but they're also very bad at actually talking to anyone else and finding that out. They just want to throw it together and then chuck it out for everyone.

And they also are generally very unhappy with us doing anything that circumvents the system procedures despite the fact that sometimes we absolutely have to because there's something the system literally can't do but we've got to in this circumstance.

There are some great guys there, really smart, really hard working, do some fantastic work, but the department's culture is not good

Solar on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited June 2017
    Like, in this situation I needed to disinvest specifically £250,000 and because the system doesn't allow me to do that (I can disinvest units from funds, but when it's traded it won't be 250k bang on, which it needed to be) I needed to go to the investment manager with a manual disinvestment. They can trade in monetary amounts no problem, it's just our electronic trading system won't. So I do the disinvestment, but I need to then do basically a dummy disinvestment through the system to match the unit holdings with the investment manager who have sent a contract note stating how many units it took to get that 250k when they traded.

So I do a Job Request to basically process the dummy trade, put it all together in the format they want (which is ridiculously convoluted, and also they're really anal about it. Like, if I load it as an Excel workbook they'll reject the JR. They want it in .csv format. To change the format is literally a case of saving it as a .csv so it's incredibly easy to do, but that they'll reject it and make me re-do the whole fucking request rather than opening the sheet from the JR, saving it to a folder as a .csv and then loading it into the system is... frankly insane.) and then send it to them to load because they won't let us load these things.

Anyway, this is really time sensitive. I can't have members on the system with a fund holding that isn't what they've actually got for, like, a thousand and one reasons. Especially as my colleague wants to do a profiling switch for this month today, and if they run it while the member uni holdings are wrong it'll get staggeringly fucked up. Like, hours of work fixing fucked up. And I say this in the JR! And then get an e-mail saying it's on hold indefinitely because I haven't explained why we had to run it through manually in the first place.

So of course I called them up and was basically like "are you shitting me? This is really time sensitive and you want to know why you have to do this thing, that we now absolutely have to do regardless of the reason, before you'll do it? Fucking jobsworths. And then I explain it and they're like "well you should avoid manual trades" fuck youuuuuuu

Makes me

really kind of mad tbh

Like guys I don't know if you've noticed but this company isn't paid for the work of its IT department?

Solar on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Turns out I didn't have to play the waiting game very long. I got the Zipworld job! Induction is next week!

@Somestickguy

Hooray! Congratulations! :biggrin:
    wswJLz.jpg

• Options
    TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    God i fucking hate self reviews.

I've been asked many times to write my own performance review and return it to be signed off. I mention that I can walk on water, turn water into wine, cure the sick, and how awesome I am at literally everything.

If you can't be bothered to do my review and make me do my own then I'm going to make myself look great.

oh h*ck
  • Options
    I just write "I am awesome" for literally everything but the attendance.

Why the fuck wouldn't I? It's obviously a sham to do self reviews, I'm not going to fuck myself over and give my boss more ammunition to "belittle" me.

If they want me to be honest, let me be honest on how awful self reviews actually are and make them worthless to my boss.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    *SNIP*
    Like guys I don't know if you've noticed but this company isn't paid for the work of its IT department?

I write software and this was a huge sticking point for me at my last job towards the end of my time there.
    I'm firmly in the camp of "Software as a tool to solve a problem. Make it work."

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    Had my annual review today. Like usual, the thing was about 2 minutes long and didn't really discuss my performance at all, so now it's back to just saying hi to the boss in the halls for the next year until our next 2 minute conversation.

But I got an ~8.3% raise, so I'm not really complaining

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    *SNIP*

I write software and this was a huge sticking point for me at my last job towards the end of my time there.
    I'm firmly in the camp of "Software as a tool to solve a problem. Make it work."

Surely this issue should be raised at the highest levels?

"These guys are making our jobs of generating Revenue more difficult because they don't want to do xyz"

What would have happened if they refused to do what you asked them to do and everyone in your team was left hanging or ran that report? You'd get the teardown not them.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

"To be perfectly honest I'm a bit of a tosser and spent my life watching anime, playing video games, and doing fuck-all in terms of anything productive."

*achieves enlightenment because the real test was acceptance of the self*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNnItWbMhL8

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I encountered a security lapse the third time with this client. If exploited, it would have resulted in the lamination and wailings of a very sensitive group of people and a very public spectacle.

I cannot Describe it, but it was the sort of stupidity the ww2 snafu films were meant to prevent.

This was also the third unique site I've seen it happen at. Just.....wow.

• Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    *SNIP*

Surely this issue should be raised at the highest levels?

"These guys are making our jobs of generating Revenue more difficult because they don't want to do xyz"

What would have happened if they refused to do what you asked them to do and everyone in your team was left hanging or ran that report? You'd get the teardown not them.

I can't speak to Solar's situation at all.

I personally do raise problems with people when I feel people are being obstructive or wasting their time doing meaningless busywork.
    How effective that is varies a fair bit though.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    So a shiny nickel, then?

Why the fuck wouldn't I? It's obviously a sham to do self reviews, I'm not going to fuck myself over and give my boss more ammunition to "belittle" me.

If they want me to be honest, let me be honest on how awful self reviews actually are and make them worthless to my boss.
    I always wrote "I am awesome" on any kind of self-review my employer would give me. Eventually they learned and stopped giving them to me.

I'm still pretty awesome though.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    So a shiny nickel, then?

I always wrote "I am awesome" on any kind of self-review my employer would give me. Eventually they learned and stopped giving them to me.

I'm still pretty awesome though.

I mean honestly, why wouldn't you think you're awesome?

• Options
    Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    If exploited, it would have resulted in the lamination and wailings of a very sensitive group of people and a very public spectacle.

I think this is one of my favorite typos in recent memory. It conjures up some weird images.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    We are working today solely because management doesn't want to give us a four day weekend (which they'd only be paying us for one day of anyway), so we're in here doing basically fuck all because we're out of shit to run.

We do have management in here on a Saturday for the first time since I've started working here. They're doing inventory, which is normally done in December when we're not running, because Korea is breathing down the front office's neck about where the fuck is all their money at. It's going to probably be worse when our sister shitshow of a plant across town has their inventory tomorrow, and heads will likely roll when the plant in Arkansas does theirs Monday.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    We are working today solely because management doesn't want to give us a four day weekend (which they'd only be paying us for one day of anyway), so we're in here doing basically fuck all because we're out of shit to run.

We do have management in here on a Saturday for the first time since I've started working here. They're doing inventory, which is normally done in December when we're not running, because Korea is breathing down the front office's neck about where the fuck is all their money at. It's going to probably be worse when our sister shitshow of a plant across town has their inventory tomorrow, and heads will likely roll when the plant in Arkansas does theirs Monday.

it still baffles the fuck out of me that people can mismanage something this badly

cutting corners and shit doesn't even save money

letting machines fall into disrepair because you want to save a few thousand in repair costs ends up costing 10 times as much

it's like fucking bizarro world out there

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

it still baffles the fuck out of me that people can mismanage something this badly

letting machines fall into disrepair because you want to save a few thousand in repair costs ends up costing 10 times as much

Yes, but those are tomorrow problems, which are far less important than today problems.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It also doesn't help that our sister plant is in such dire shape that they asked our drawing operators, who currently work rotating 12 hour shifts, to go down to the other plant for eight hours on their off days to train workers there.

I say "asked" because it turned into "forced" once nobody here was stupid enough to volunteer.

That place is such a mess. They've already gone through all the good workers in the area, either firing them for petty stuff, or they've quit due to poor pay and shitty treatment. Now they're left with the bottom of the barrel, the people who can't get jobs anywhere else, and those people still get fired in droves, mostly for failed drug tests. They've even had supervisors walk out or quit via text like some disgruntled Walmart worker.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

Lol, the only thing that matters is this quarter's figures.

• Options
    edited July 2017

The only people I've encountered with this management style were all farmers who narrowly lived through the Great Depression during their formative years.

They'd spend a hundred dollars on duct tape and JB weld so they could spend countless hours keeping a piece of equipment limping along at half capacity for years, but they would never imagine spending ten bucks on a proper replacement part that would get it back up to full capacity immediately and for the indefinite future. The bottom fell out of scrap prices in the 50s, so they'd let everything rust to pieces on a hill instead of getting what money they could, because like hell they're going to take a raw deal. They'd lose money on dryland wheat ten years in a row, and when they got a bumper crop that almost paid for ten years worth of seed money, they'd push all their chips right back on dryland wheat.

The only reason I don't think they're running Koro's plant is because they all died in the early '90s from unfiltered cigarettes and hoarded DDT.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

The only people I've encountered with this management style were all farmers who narrowly lived through the Great Depression during their formative years.

They'd spend a hundred dollars on duct tape and JB weld so they could spend countless hours keeping a piece of equipment limping along at half capacity for years, but they would never imagine spending ten bucks on a proper replacement part that would get it back up to full capacity immediately and for the indefinite future. The bottom fell out of scrap prices in the 50s, so they'd let everything rust to pieces on a hill instead of getting what money they could, because like hell they're going to take a raw deal. They'd lose money on dryland wheat ten years in a row, and when they got a bumper crop that almost paid for ten years worth of seed money, they'd push all their chips right back on dryland wheat.

The only reason I don't think they're running Koro's plant is because they all died in the early '90s from unfiltered cigarettes and hoarded DDT.

Their kids likely kept the traditions going though.

"Pappy always taught me to save a buck even if it meant a lot of work! This is the kind of American work ethic the Millennials are killing with their safety requirements and working equipment!"

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited July 2017

That's my grandpop! He smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes for years eventually died from lung cancer in 1998.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I've managed to delay my return to work until Thursday, and unfortunately it sounds like I'm needed.

I've so enjoyed being freed form the workplace. I hope I'll be able to fix what needs fixing quickly.

:?

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

It's stuff like this I always think of when family members talk to me about "rational self-interest."

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    I've managed to delay my return to work until Thursday, and unfortunately it sounds like I'm needed.

I've so enjoyed being freed form the workplace. I hope I'll be able to fix what needs fixing quickly.

:?

If it helps, when I imagine you going back to work it's just one of those shots where your face is serenely fixed in the frame while a montage of work in the shop happens behind you. The soundtrack swaps back and forth between steel drums and sea shanties.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.