As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Completely original [Chat] about beloved childhood books.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    collect everything throw out nothing

Getting rid of my boy clothes was wonderful though!

I think it actually helped me be less of a hoarder.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    100 people were in line for a new chik fil a opening. That just makes me sad.

Isn't that the first one in Seattle?

Nah this was in totem lake which is so far east of seattle for people who live in seattle it might as well be spokane. But its not even the first one in the state.

Funny story about northwest cooking: for my son's last pre-school class we were supposed to bring cuisine from a state, so we picked Washington. Unfortunately, unless you have Applets and Cotlets, Almond Roca, salmon, or washington apples you're kind of out of luck for regional cuisine.

Almond Roca is regional to washington? I had no idea. My mom used to make it all the time, I figured it was everywhere. I'd struggle to come up wish a unique washington dish, we're kind of a melting pot of asian culture with hispanic and of course all the white people.

This is how I felt about CO.

Then I learned Mexican hamburgers are like a Denver only thing.

And about our green chili stuff.

And now I can always bring home grown favorites.

Also what is almond roca?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    do it wrong and you'll have ice inside your face cover and it's touching your cheeks and your face will turn black and fall off

I

I don't want my face to fall off

this reason is why we were issued nothing that covered the face, and weren't allowed to do so, no matter if it's -35 C and gale. Because nobody can see if your breath is making swelling ice crystals until it is much too late. Also, nobody can see if parts of your face is starting to go dead and white because you've got a case of serious hypothermia coming on. Buddy system is everything.

I was a M113 driver though so I got a sweet neoprene face mask with breathing holes and an opening for my nose, because nobody's gonna buddy-check me when I'm in the driver's hatch anyway and also I don't get a windshield unlike the rest of the battery. Balaclava, driver's helmet, neoprene mask, keffiyeh wrapped around that again, goggles. Fellow artilleryman equipped with pickaxe to hack me loose from the block of ice formed around me upon arrival.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Isn't PlanetAid a huge scam?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Nah this was in totem lake which is so far east of seattle for people who live in seattle it might as well be spokane. But its not even the first one in the state.

Funny story about northwest cooking: for my son's last pre-school class we were supposed to bring cuisine from a state, so we picked Washington. Unfortunately, unless you have Applets and Cotlets, Almond Roca, salmon, or washington apples you're kind of out of luck for regional cuisine.

Almond Roca is regional to washington? I had no idea. My mom used to make it all the time, I figured it was everywhere. I'd struggle to come up wish a unique washington dish, we're kind of a melting pot of asian culture with hispanic and of course all the white people.

Yup, used to be manufactured in Tacoma.

Washington does have Korean BBQ fusion, which is pretty good and hits all the right notes of cultural appropriation and regional cuisine.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

uc9wae5453x9.jpg

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    The best way to help poor people is giving them amazing new cyborg bodies

But alas, ethics

• Options
    When I was in Charlotte NC a few weeks ago I discovered a sushi stand where hamburger was the main ingredient. I didn't have any, but I'm sure it was tasty tasty cultural appropriation.

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular
    When I was in Charlotte NC a few weeks ago I discovered a sushi stand where hamburger was the main ingredient. I didn't have any, but I'm sure it was tasty tasty cultural appropriation.

hey I think mods quashed this discussion

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

As I vaguely recall the ingrediants from my mother its like a chocolate coated hard candy, with obviously almonds on top, I forgot what makes up the base layer.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Jubal77 wrote: »

uc9wae5453x9.jpg

Think dark toffee sticks covered in chocolate and almonds.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    There are no bad sandwiches, just bad sandwich ingredients

Like ham, or american cheese

Is a grilled cheese a sandwich? Because American Cheese is required for those.

you've obviously not had grilled cheese with good cheddar, or gruyere, or brie

I have. I wanted to mix American in with them. My poor upbringing is probably to blame.

it's okay

I'm the same way with mac & cheese

if it's not Kraft, it's not right

Hold on Atomika, have you never had stovetop mac & cheese from scratch?

Joy of cooking has a phenomenal recipe for it, and while it will practically stop your heart it's freaking amazing.

I've had all the macs and the cheeses

I've had lobster mac and cheese with gruyere and white truffle with bacon

But it's that thing, you know?

If it's not like the cheap shit my mom let me help cook when I was five, it's not the real deal

Emotions are dumb

• Options
    edited August 2017
    I have to call my insurance to get started in surgery stuff but calling insurance sounds worse than giving myself an orchiechtomy.

Neco on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

Yup, used to be manufactured in Tacoma.

Washington does have Korean BBQ fusion, which is pretty good and hits all the right notes of cultural appropriation and regional cuisine.

I do notice we have a lot of regional burger restaurants. Like Dicks or Blazing Onion. I'm sure every region has those.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

uc9wae5453x9.jpg

Almond butter actually :)

They are a candy that people only buy during holidays and post holiday sales heh.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I'm not even sure what chat is focusing on right now. We are just kind of meandering as we get closed to the forbidden zone.

• Options

I have. I wanted to mix American in with them. My poor upbringing is probably to blame.

it's okay

Joy of cooking has a phenomenal recipe for it, and while it will practically stop your heart it's freaking amazing.

If it's not like the cheap shit my mom let me help cook when I was five, it's not the real deal

Emotions are dumb

True, I still have a soft spot for velveeta mac & cheese even though I haven't had it for 25+ years and I am fully aware that it's garbage.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Lets divorce it from that, then.

Because I really want to know more about hamburger sushi.

dbtbknf4cydq.jpg

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    cptrugged wrote: »
    Saw this posted today by a buddy of mine. This very much reminded me of my conversations about the need for god with @spool32 . Hit pretty much right on the money on a lot of my base belief system.

This is a little spoilery for Rick and Morty if you haven't seen it. And if you haven't seen Rick and Morty, you should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ez1rWBPznEc&feature=share

I don't agree with all this, but I do like it very much and I think it gets to a lot of the same places I do.
    Also it speaks very strongly to the horror with which I view determinism.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @desc i miss that donut place near you

I miss https://m.yelp.com/biz/85-c-bakery-cafe-irvine

• Options

uc9wae5453x9.jpg

Almond butter actually :)

They are a candy that people only buy during holidays and post holiday sales heh.

Or they get the tin at Costco, eat half and then go oh my god get it away from me only to find it the next year where they then finish it off.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Real important topic:

If cybernetics were real options and could be used to further your own life span and offer all the benefits you can imagine from that...

How far would you honestly go?

• Options
    Arent sliders essentially hamburger suishi?

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    do it wrong and you'll have ice inside your face cover and it's touching your cheeks and your face will turn black and fall off

I

I don't want my face to fall off

this reason is why we were issued nothing that covered the face, and weren't allowed to do so, no matter if it's -35 C and gale. Because nobody can see if your breath is making swelling ice crystals until it is much too late. Also, nobody can see if parts of your face is starting to go dead and white because you've got a case of serious hypothermia coming on. Buddy system is everything.

I was a M113 driver though so I got a sweet neoprene face mask with breathing holes and an opening for my nose, because nobody's gonna buddy-check me when I'm in the driver's hatch anyway and also I don't get a windshield unlike the rest of the battery. Balaclava, driver's helmet, neoprene mask, keffiyeh wrapped around that again, goggles. Fellow artilleryman equipped with pickaxe to hack me loose from the block of ice formed around me upon arrival.

Abdhy I feel like your job was suspiciously close to the imperial army grunts in warhammer 40k

Just add some Necrons and you're there

• Options
    Blameless ClericBlameless Cleric An angel made of sapphires each more flawlessly cut than the last Registered User regular

it's okay

Emotions are dumb

Every now and again I walk by mac and cheese in the pasta aisle when it's my week to buy the rice noodles and am so fkn wistful

sometimes I take a box off the shelf - ah, $1.99.. delicious.. monstrously delicious quantities of sodium..

and then I put it back and buy my rice spaghetti

Orphane wrote: »

one flower ring to rule them all and in the sunlightness bind them

I'd love it if you took a look at my art and my PATREON!
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

dbtbknf4cydq.jpg
    ...Yeah... cutting a hamburger into slices does not make it sushi.

It makes a goofy slider.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    I actually don't understand how Vanguard can write long posts about using other's work without attribution and also attacking cultural appropriation.

I have a few different answers to this. I think poetry can be similar to a song using samples. In this case, I'm using samples of others ideas and images. Attributing the line doesn't necessarily add much here; either you're familiar with the source material or you're not, but I try not to write in a way that one needs to know where it came from.

I'm also careful to not use certain voices who have been underrepresented in poetry.
    I get around this by not caring about either copyright or cultural appropriation

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Beata Maria, you know I am a righteous man, of my virtue I am justly proud

Beata Maria, you know I'm so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd

So tell me, Maria, why I see her dancing there, why her smouldering eyes still scorch my soul

Hi hello this is Hakks breaking into inform you that the darkest song of any Disney film is also the best song if anyone wants to disagree they are free to fall off the buttresses of the grand Cathedral of Notre Dame directly into a pit of fire

This is a good song.

But "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" are pretty boss too.

And I'm super partial to the classics "Feed the Birds" and "Candle on the Water."

You know what. I like them and of COURSE I like my Linammon Roll. But...I have an issue with modern Disney songs (FUCKING HOT TAKE COMING IN STRAP YOUR FUCKING TITS IN)
    They don't seem to do the same sort of heavy lifting they used to for plot/character movement. Like in Moana, You're Welcome was a break in the movie to have a fun little set piece about Maui. Sure it introduces him as an arrogant guy, but it doesn't go into deep conflict or character development--it's a statement of the character, not a revelation. Shiny is kind of the same. It's an action sequence for a miniboss battle, but it didn't do much for Moana or Maui's character development, and the fkin kreb never shows up again, so it's like...a pause in the movie to have an action set piece for plot movement.

And that's FINE, except what i love about songs like Hellfire is that it's not just about establishing a story beat or having a huge visual feast in the middle of the action, it's a fucking profound character song for this terrible fucking villainous cretin that's not just "I'm evil and this is the evil stuff I want to do" but "I'm evil but my values as previously established in the film are being tested by an unexpected interaction with another character and it is causing me to have a crisis of faith" fuckin deep characterization and internal conflict that is so much more layered than "I am Moana and I really want to explore the seas" and "I am Maui and I fucking love my goddamn self"

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Real important topic:

If cybernetics were real options and could be used to further your own life span and offer all the benefits you can imagine from that...

Brain in a jar

Full robot existence.

Sleep on
  • Options
    I like my pretty keffiyeh but never wear it

It has a different pattern than the core traditional one and it's not white/red or white/green

But like

I am never out somewhere to need it

• Options
    Oh gods the thread isn't set to recycle on page 100!

MODS HELP US

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

dbtbknf4cydq.jpg

Japanese actually do hamburger sushi but it is more based off the hamburger steak thing they do.

6-3.jpg

I have tried it, its okay.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Neco wrote: »

MODS HELP US

More like narco

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    The best way to help poor people is giving them amazing new cyborg bodies

But alas, ethics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXe9C3nZxxY

• Options

MODS HELP US

Preparing animes

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular

MODS HELP US

There is no help in bat country

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Beata Maria, you know I am a righteous man, of my virtue I am justly proud

Beata Maria, you know I'm so much purer than the common vulgar weak licentious crowd

So tell me, Maria, why I see her dancing there, why her smouldering eyes still scorch my soul

Hi hello this is Hakks breaking into inform you that the darkest song of any Disney film is also the best song if anyone wants to disagree they are free to fall off the buttresses of the grand Cathedral of Notre Dame directly into a pit of fire

This is a good song.

But "You're Welcome" and "Shiny" are pretty boss too.

And I'm super partial to the classics "Feed the Birds" and "Candle on the Water."

You know what. I like them and of COURSE I like my Linammon Roll. But...I have an issue with modern Disney songs (FUCKING HOT TAKE COMING IN STRAP YOUR FUCKING TITS IN)
    They don't seem to do the same sort of heavy lifting they used to for plot/character movement. Like in Moana, You're Welcome was a break in the movie to have a fun little set piece about Maui. Sure it introduces him as an arrogant guy, but it doesn't go into deep conflict or character development--it's a statement of the character, not a revelation. Shiny is kind of the same. It's an action sequence for a miniboss battle, but it didn't do much for Moana or Maui's character development, and the fkin kreb never shows up again, so it's like...a pause in the movie to have an action set piece for plot movement.

And that's FINE, except what i love about songs like Hellfire is that it's not just about establishing a story beat or having a huge visual feast in the middle of the action, it's a fucking profound character song for this terrible fucking villainous cretin that's not just "I'm evil and this is the evil stuff I want to do" but "I'm evil but my values as previously established in the film are being tested by an unexpected interaction with another character and it is causing me to have a crisis of faith" fuckin deep characterization and internal conflict that is so much more layered than "I am Moana and I really want to explore the seas" and "I am Maui and I fucking love my goddamn self"

This is probably why Feed the Birds resonates with me so much. In the context of that movie it's kind of jarring, but still fits the overall themes of Mary Poppins.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited August 2017
    There are many odd images on the topic of hamburger sushi

l9o487wlanrz.jpg

This seems like a Sashimi styles burger patty, with a small dab of mayo on a ball of sushi rice.

I bet this is tasty, even if it isn't sushi in any way but presentation

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    Real important topic:

Look if I don't get my custom made robot body before I die then this entire life was a waste

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    TL DR wrote: »
    TL DR wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

606af94a105f10dbeef22f33114672b1.jpg

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

There's a meani
    Pony wrote: »
    Ironically, shemaghs have become really popular with grunting, shitheaded dudebros, racist dickbags, and Trump supporters

not out of solidarity with middle eastern cultures or anything, but because they see bearded sleeveless spec-for operator guys that they idolize wearing them. There's a specific look that has come to typify the American soldier in the Iraq and Afghanistan conflict (and all the fucked up stuff that goes along with that) and it's basically this guy:

606af94a105f10dbeef22f33114672b1.jpg

See that shemagh he's wearing around his neck? Yeah, a lot of American and other allied soldiers started wearing those in Iraq and Afghanistan for a variety of different reasons (they're practical, for one thing) and because these ding dongs see these totally bad ass dudes wearing them, they want to wear them too. Totally ignoring the cultural context of why, or the original culture they came from, or whatever.

In one of those shitty DayZ clone games that my brother plays, the shemagh is just called an "Operator Scarf". Y'know, it's just that cool scarf that operator dudes wear!

lordie...

the people wearing them as a political statement don't really have much to do with the original culture they came from either, I suppose. Mainly because there isn't a the original culture with them being so widespread back into the region's prehistory.

Also yeah I guess shemagh is the more common term for it if it's via the military vector.

Do you think that there's a meaningful difference between an Arab person wearing one and a literal occupying soldier or a copy-cat, though?

copy-cat of the soldiers or?

Yes, as Matt mentioned, the 'operator' fetishism

in their case it's... it's like if you've gunned down everyone in the bus station and you spit on the officer who arrests you. They're not going to even bother considering spitting on a public servant when meting out justice.

by that I mean the CoD-boys are such wankers already that wearing a shemagh is pissing in the ocean.

there is a difference, of course, but just what it is is near impossible to say, because it's worn so widely and for so many different reasons. The arab could be wearing it as a pro-palestine statement. Or because the specific pattern has cultural significance to him, being an identify marker. Or not really have any strong feelings on the matter but it gets super dusty on this road sometimes.

But if you're asking if I see a ISAF soldier wearing one as part of cultural subjugation or something like that, no, I don't. I don't think all that many locals care, either. Because it can just be a square piece of cloth.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.